Liverpool University about to block this newsgroup

Richard Lloyd

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here in the
UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its Usenet
service. Nice to know free speech is completely dead here in the UK (in
fact, it never existed in the first place if you know your UK laws !).

This is sort of blocking would make "front page" news of www.news.com if
a US university tried it, but since we're in the UK, we don't count I'm
afraid.

Richard K. Lloyd, E-mail: r...@csc.liv.ac.uk
Computer Science Dept., WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~rkl/
Liverpool University,
Merseyside, England,
Great Britain.

CDEX

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
Richard,

----------
> From: Richard Lloyd <r...@csc.liv.ac.uk>
> Subject: Liverpool University about to block this newsgroup
> Date: Friday, September 04, 1998 7:17 PM

> Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here in the
> UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its Usenet
> service. Nice to know free speech is completely dead here in the UK (in
> fact, it never existed in the first place if you know your UK laws !).

- - - - - - - -
It would be a pity to see your postings disappear from this newsgroup. I
hope you are able to acquire some other form of access.

Would 'alt.lotto.players' remain available?

Joe Roberts
CDEX

- 2108

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
Richard Lloyd wrote:

> Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here in the
> UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its Usenet
> service. Nice to know free speech is completely dead here in the UK (in
> fact, it never existed in the first place if you know your UK laws !).

What is the rationale behind this move? Is there a particular aspect of
rec.gambling.*'s contents which the University finds offensive? What
other newsgroups has the University blocked, if any at all?

***FREE*** information regarding Joseph McCall's Proven Roulette System
<http://www.25-88.com/free_prs/> <http://www.25-88.com/free_prs/>
This is not a commercial website. Nothing is being sold at this site.
This site is provided as a source of **FREE** information.

Eric Simandl

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98

> Richard Lloyd wrote:
> >
> > Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here
> in the
> > UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its
> Usenet
> > service.

Simple. Just rename the hierarchy "rec.punting.~"

They'll think it's about messing around in small boats. Or North
American football.

--
Eric Simandl. Offices in Las Vegas and Negaunee

In the bowling alley of your mind, I am the pinboy. --The Fugs

Tom Rockwell

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
Richard Lloyd wrote:

> Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here in the
> UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its Usenet
> service.

Unless they don't give you web access either you should still be able to read
and post here via Deja-News or AltaVista. If you want to keep reading this
newsgroup (gotta keep up with that spam, you know) check them out.

--
->Later.....Spice
____ _____ _____ _____ __ __

CDEX

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
Richard,

Richard Lloyd <r...@csc.liv.ac.uk> wrote in article
<Eys8p...@csc.liv.ac.uk>...

> Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here in the
> UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its Usenet

> service. Nice to know free speech is completely dead here in the UK (in
> fact, it never existed in the first place if you know your UK laws !).

- - - - - - - -

Here's an anecdote (a true one -- it really happened) about the perception
of "quality" in University education.

Of course it isn't entirely relevant to the above issue -- but it might get
the L.U. management thinking about it . . .

As you might well know, over here Harvard and Yale are extreme rivals, both
for academics and for US football. No comment about the football, but it's
generally acknowledged that a degree from either place gets you a top job
in the field of your choice.

When President Kennedy (a Harvard graduate), after being elected President,
was awarded an honorary Doctorate at Yale, he was asked by journalists how
he felt about getting that degree. His reply (with a smile) was:

"Now it can be said that I have the best of both worlds -- a Harvard
education, and a Yale degree".

- - - - -

Perhaps the L.U. regents might want to consider what 'education' entails at
its deepest root.

Best of luck,

Joe Roberts
CDEX

Sean B

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Tom Rockwell <sp...@netacc.net> wrote:

>Richard Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here in the
>> UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its Usenet
>> service.
>

>Unless they don't give you web access either you should still be able to read
>and post here via Deja-News or AltaVista. If you want to keep reading this
>newsgroup (gotta keep up with that spam, you know) check them out.

FeedMe http://www.feedme.org used to give a good listing of RGL if you
did a search for rec.gambling.lottery

Looks like you will have to change Universities, Richard I can't
imagine the Liverpool John Moore's University ever banning
anything connected to gambling ;-) although on second thought's
Lottery???? well maybe.

For those of you living outside Merseyside the LJMU (Liverpool's
other university) was named after the founder of the Littlewood's
Football Pool's Empire, because of all the good works he had done
during his lifetime and his loyalty to Liverpool. Maybe that's why
LU want to ban it?

The Football Pools industry has suffered badly since the Lottery
started. (Littlewood's also put a bid in to run the Lottery).

Rapidnet on Queens Drive can supply a fairly good news/internet
service for 10-12 pounds a month.

Sean B

The Lottery Institute

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Am I mistaken ?

From any Computer Connected to the Internet
this LINK shows you ALL the Posted messages to this Group
or ANY other Group if you revise it!

http://search.dejanews.com/dnquery.xp?QRY=*+%26+%7Eg+%28rec.gambling.lottery%29&ST=PS&CT=&DBS=&defaultOp=%26&svcclass=dnrecent&maxhits=45&showsort=score&format=terse&filter=&site=dn&groups=&subjects=&authors=&fromdate=&todate=

Regards,

Nick Koutras,
The Lottery Institute
"internets' best source for Lottery related information"
~~-~-~~-~-~~-~-~~-~-~~-~-~~~-~-~~-~-~~-~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~~~-~~-~-~~-~~-~~-~
E-Mail ~ T...@sade.com
Home ~ http://members.tripod.com/~TheLotteryInstitute/index.html
Wheels ~ http://members.tripod.com/~TheLotteryInstitute/indexWhe.html
Resources~ http://members.tripod.com/~TheLotteryInstitute/indexRes.html
~~-~-~~-~-~~-~-~~-~-~~-~-~~~-~-~~-~-~~-~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~~~-~~-~-~~-~~-~~-~

Richard Lloyd wrote:

> Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here in the
> UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its Usenet

> service. Nice to know free speech is completely dead here in the UK (in
> fact, it never existed in the first place if you know your UK laws !).

cd...@gsinet.net

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Yes, there are several other avenues to access the Internet newsgroups.

The scary part of it is not so much that someone would have to use another
method to access any newsgroup. What is incomprehensible is that the
Liverpool University authorities would consider censoring the Internet in the
first place.

This newsgroup has been active in discussing the activities of the Camelot
game, as well as of public games worldwide. It has been the central source
of that information on the Internet. The newsgroup will go on, with or
without its presence on the L.U. server. But the information will become
less available to the L.U. faculty or student population, simply because the
L.U. authorities will have deemed that information to be undesirable or
irrelevant.

"Less available" applies in two senses. The first is, of course, the
physical access on the L.U. server. But that can be easily worked around.
The second sense is the frightening one. Once can picture a discussion, in a
class or a faculty gathering, in which the topic of "Camelot" arises in any
context and at any level, innocuous or serious. Someone makes a statement.
All eyes turn to him or her, with the question asked or inferred: "Where did
you get your information?" Be careful how you respond. Do not mention
anything that may be traceable to a 'banned' place. 'Veritas' is not
Liverpool University's motto. How disgusting.

One thing will become certain: Liverpool University will become the butt of
more jokes and anecdotes on the Internet than their authorities possibly can
imagine at the present time. The University that Bowdlerized the Internet.
Indeed.

Looking at it from a different viewpoint: Suppose direct access to the
newsgroup is removed at the L.U. server, but access to 'dejanews.com' is not
removed. Then the L.U. authorities are in the silly position of defining, and
probably eventually defining in public, whether it's OK to view all newsgroups
in DejaNews or not.

(A) If it's OK, then the issue is the mode of access, and not the
information. Then the authorities will appear clumsy (and perhaps
hypocritical) for having officially banned one form of access while allowing
another form of access, among many available forms. That is, it is permitted
to click the mouse in "this" sequence to acquire the information, but not
permitted to click the mouse in "that" sequence to acquire the identical
information. Ridiculous.

(B) If it's not OK, then the issue is the information, and not the mode of
access. Then the authorities will appear clumsy (and perhaps hypocritical)
for needing to define, to make public, to manage, and to defend an
ever-growing and increasingly convoluted listing of subject titles and source
materials which students shall not be permitted to become aware of beyond
their presence on the banned list, and shall not be permitted to explore as
part of an 'acceptable' education. Ridiculous.

It's one thing for a parent to censor access for the kids in the family.
It's a different thing for an institution of "higher learning" to do it for
young adult students who are at the final phase of their formal education,
and are on the verge of (if not already) participating in and managing the
society we will be living in over the next couple of generations.

Perhaps the L.U. authorities will eventually discover that it is not very
easy to maintain an appropriate level of ignorance among the population for
and to whom they are responsible for providing an education, or at the very
least, for offering one. Until they do, they might want to contact the
Chinese government to share the latest techniques for installing and managing
a high level Internet firewall.

Joe Roberts
CDEX

&#137;

€JonnyBoy€

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Love the JMU reference, and sorry to 'but-in', but you guys sound like you
might know someone who can help us. We're looking into developing a
lottery business, and need to hear from someone who can lend a bit of
expertise, in buying tickets and legal matters etc.
Can you help?
please drop us a line at lot...@wab.co.uk if so. And a downward sneer to
liverpool uni

Many thanks
Jon

--
****Dont mess with the dunk on a nasty funk********
ICQ me at 15508536

Keith H

Aug 31, 2021, 6:24:50 AM8/31/21
What a blast from the past this is. I remember the "good ole days" when the newsfeed came into the University of Liverpool through Computer Science rather than the Computer Lab (central university computing 'service') and we forwarded it on to the 'Lab. I'm pretty sure it came over the Janet-IP service but I also have a vague recollection that <X25 DTE>.FTP.NEWS figured somewhere briefly.

Random fragments of memories:
We discovered that current/former students/researchers were doing a roaring trade passing their surplus userIDs on the mainframe to their friends, mainly, as we saw it, to conduct a war of words on newsgroups like 'soc.culture.lebanon'. This was of course back in the day when your access to computing facilities didn't evaporate 10 seconds after you completed your courses.

We had local hierarchies, like lucs.* which wouldn't propagate outside of the department and liv.* which wouldn't propagate outside of the university. We had a run-in with the puce-faced deputy director of the 'Lab who saw some criticism of them in liv.general and nearly blew a gasket in his rant, neither understanding nor subsequently caring that it was very much a local group.

I wrote a multi-threaded NNTP server for ANUnews under VMS to serve news clients in the department. Process creation and maintenance was so resource-hungry in those days.

Keith

Ion Saliu

Sep 1, 2021, 6:21:09 AM9/1/21
On Friday, September 4, 1998 at 10:00:00 AM UTC+3, Richard Lloyd wrote:
> Just thought you might like to know that Liverpool University here in the
> UK has decided to ban the entire rec.gambling.* heirarchy from its Usenet
> service. Nice to know free speech is completely dead here in the UK (in
> fact, it never existed in the first place if you know your UK laws !).
> This is sort of blocking would make "front page" news of www.news.com if
> a US university tried it, but since we're in the UK, we don't count I'm
> afraid.
> Richard K. Lloyd, E-mail: r...@csc.liv.ac.uk
> Computer Science Dept., WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~rkl/
> Liverpool University,
> Merseyside, England,
> Great Britain.

On my first read of this historic thread (Sect-ember 1, 2021), it had a total of 5 views. 5 views in 2 decades (as in lotto) and (2 squared –1) years! O tempora! O mores!

Ion Saliu (royalty-name: Parpaluck)
NewsGruppenFührer At-Large
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.gambling.lottery/c/TztssQOdv9M
• The Best RGL Posts, Contents: Lottery, Strategies, Systems, Software