Is this a change for good ?

November Nihal

Feb 2, 2024, 9:03:17 AMFeb 2

nigel

Feb 2, 2024, 11:33:24 AMFeb 2
November Nihal wrote:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-68156629

If they tinker with the draw formats or make the results less
accessible, that's an easy 'no' from me.

November Nihal

Feb 3, 2024, 7:17:26 AMFeb 3
One of the planned changes if to lower the cost to £1. I like the sound of that but
depends on how much lower the prize will be.

nigel

Feb 3, 2024, 8:03:22 AMFeb 3
So far so good - they're updating the National Lottery website in the
same way as Camelot. But they're also linking it to the Allwyn website
so changes may be afoot.

The National Lottery jackpots are pretty paltry compared to
Euromillions. They'll have to do something pretty clever to lower the
entry cost without reducing jackpots.

MJ99

Feb 6, 2024, 4:59:07 PMFeb 6
I like the idea of the £1 ticket price. But I would rather they go back
to the 6/49 game too.

I don't think it such a bad idea to have say a £1m prize. The Premium
Bonds do it. What if their £1m rolled over each time?

We have no idea what they will do.

On another note I installed Mozilla Thunderbird and have a (free)
account with Eternal September. That way I avoid Google Groups. But I
have also had to change news readers so I've no idea if this posting
will work

MJ

MJ99

Feb 6, 2024, 5:07:20 PMFeb 6

MJ99

Feb 6, 2024, 5:45:06 PMFeb 6

MJ99

Feb 6, 2024, 5:46:05 PMFeb 6
Oops.

Too efficient!

MJ

nigel

Feb 9, 2024, 11:40:51 AMFeb 9
MJ99 wrote:

> Too efficient!
>
> MJ

Three efficient :-)

I got the impression that Camelot were more focussed on scratchcards
towards the end. They're certainly the biggest seller at my local Tesco
Express.

Meanwhile, I have another system that's made a promising start. No doubt
it will shortly crash and burn.

nigel

Feb 10, 2024, 8:06:05 AMFeb 10
nigel wrote:

> Meanwhile, I have another system that's made a promising start. No doubt
> it will shortly crash and burn.

And so it came to pass, Friday's Euromillions draw sending it crashing
and burning. :-(

Marmaduke Jinks

Feb 11, 2024, 8:21:35 AMFeb 11
I'm not a huge fan of the Euromill. I think because of the ridiculous
odds and also they don't reward you very well at the lower levels.

The Lotto result had two numbers ending in 9 and two ending in 3. What
I like to call a Family Group. 81 % of the time there's a Family Group
in the result (not inc the bonus ball)

The works syndie and I had an ok go at the Lotto jackpot last night. We
made a loss but our 366 lines gave us a Match4 and 3 Match3s, as well as
36 Lucky Dip fivers.

I had experimented with putting a grid of 131 lines from Covermaster
with the La Jolla table of 119 lines. Two of 119 lines and one of 131.
The 119 grids were staggered to cover different combos. I had most
pairs covered at least 3 times. When the next must-be-won Jackpot comes
around I'll have 428 lines to play.

I like Covermaster as you can get good coverage for your inputs. The La
Jolla tables show all the combinations of eg 6 selections out of 59
https://ljcr.dmgordon.org/cover/table.html

MJ
[If your Google Group access to usenet is going then get Mozilla
Thunderbird (try version 78.14) and a free account with
eternal-september. You can always ask me if you get stuck].

nigel

Feb 13, 2024, 11:09:07 AMFeb 13
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:

> [If your Google Group access to usenet is going then get Mozilla
> Thunderbird (try version 78.14) and a free account with
> eternal-september. You can always ask me if you get stuck].

I hadn't heard anything about losing usenet access from Plusnet. I have
an eternal-september account I haven't used for ages. One day I'd better
test whether it's still accessible.

My new system gets another chance to crash and burn tonight. For
Euromillions, it likes 37,18,45,30,08. (I have no money invested).

Marmaduke Jinks

Feb 14, 2024, 10:14:11 AMFeb 14
I know of Plusnet buying in from Giganews to give usenet access. But
you'll still need a reader for that I do believe.

I used to use Outlook Express on an XP machine for reading the usenet
groups but the machine crashed and burned -like your Euromill selections
;-)!

MJ

nigel

Feb 14, 2024, 11:08:49 AMFeb 14
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:

> On 13/02/2024 16:08, nigel wrote:
>
>> Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>>
>>> [If your Google Group access to usenet is going then get Mozilla
>>> Thunderbird (try version 78.14) and a free account with
>>> eternal-september. You can always ask me if you get stuck].
>>

>> I hadn't heard anything about losing usenet access from Plusnet. I
>> have an eternal-september account I haven't used for ages. One day I'd
>> better test whether it's still accessible.
>>
>> My new system gets another chance to crash and burn tonight. For
>> Euromillions, it likes 37,18,45,30,08. (I have no money invested).

Wow, it got one number correct.

Friday: 50,02,45,16,07

> I know of Plusnet buying in from Giganews to give usenet access. But
> you'll still need a reader for that I do believe.
>
> I used to use Outlook Express on an XP machine for reading the usenet
> groups but the machine crashed and burned -like your Euromill selections
> ;-)!
>
> MJ

I'm using Netscape Mail and News 7.1, a Thunderbird predecessor ;-)

nigel

Feb 14, 2024, 11:10:53 AMFeb 14
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:

> On 13/02/2024 16:08, nigel wrote:
>
>> Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>>
>>> [If your Google Group access to usenet is going then get Mozilla
>>> Thunderbird (try version 78.14) and a free account with
>>> eternal-september. You can always ask me if you get stuck].
>>

>> I hadn't heard anything about losing usenet access from Plusnet. I
>> have an eternal-september account I haven't used for ages. One day I'd
>> better test whether it's still accessible.
>>
>> My new system gets another chance to crash and burn tonight. For
>> Euromillions, it likes 37,18,45,30,08. (I have no money invested).

Wow, it got one number correct.

Friday: 50,02,45,16,07

> I know of Plusnet buying in from Giganews to give usenet access. But
> you'll still need a reader for that I do believe.
>
> I used to use Outlook Express on an XP machine for reading the usenet
> groups but the machine crashed and burned -like your Euromill selections
> ;-)!
>
> MJ

Marmaduke Jinks

Feb 16, 2024, 10:43:34 AMFeb 16
Ah excellent.

My Mystic Meg Crystal Ball gives me these numbers in the EuroMill

9 18 25 33 43
2 7 29 29 (no one;s perfect ;-) & 50
8 18 26 36 45

MJ

nigel

Feb 17, 2024, 8:44:53 AMFeb 17
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
> On 14/02/2024 16:10, nigel wrote:
>
>> Friday: 50,02,45,16,07

Tunguska wasn't a meteorite - it was one of my lottery systems crashing
and burning :-(

Tuesday: 15,02,48,45,05

> My Mystic Meg Crystal Ball gives me these numbers in the EuroMill
>
> 9 18 25 33 43
> 2 7 29 29 (no one;s perfect ;-) & 50
> 8* 18 26* 36 45

Two right - not bad!

> MJ

November Nihal

Feb 17, 2024, 1:11:33 PMFeb 17
I was quite happy to continue using google groups but the consensus
seems to be to stick with usenet.
I need to get an account with eternal september which I will do soon.
Is Thunderbird sufficient to read/write messages ?

NN

Marmaduke Jinks

Feb 18, 2024, 5:14:53 AMFeb 18
Two out of many. I won't give up my day job ;-)

MJ