Round Table Pizza - what's in the dough ?

Paul Russell

Sep 19, 2001, 7:08:43 PM9/19/01
My son (aged 3) and I are both vegan. He has been invited to a
children's party at Round Table Pizza (Santa Cruz) on Saturday. I'd
like him to be able to go, so I called to see if they could do a
special vegan pizza for us. They said that they could do a pizza
wiothut cheese, but that they thought that there might be egg in the
dough. This seems pretty bizarre to me - I always thought pizza dough
was just flour, olive oil and water (although I have heard of some
places putting parmesan in the dough). I tried their WWW site
(www.roundtablepizza.com) but it seems to be dead. According to a very
old FAQ (circa 1995) their dough _is_ vegan, but a lot can change in 5
or 6 years. So, does anyone know for definite whether their pizza
dough is vegan ?

Thanks,

//Paul

Niko

Sep 20, 2001, 3:01:06 AM9/20/01
Can't tell you exactly, but I've never put egg in a pizza dough.

It'd be pretty strange, IMO, if they added an extra ingredient. Normally
they try to reduce the amount of ingredients to save costs.

You'll be okay, I'm pretty sure.

BTW, Congrats for raising your son a vegan - excellent future.

----
Niko

"Paul Russell" <pa...@coastsoft.com> wrote in message

prussell

Sep 21, 2001, 3:52:55 PM9/21/01
Niko wrote:

> Can't tell you exactly, but I've never put egg in a pizza dough.
>
> It'd be pretty strange, IMO, if they added an extra ingredient. Normally
> they try to reduce the amount of ingredients to save costs.
>
> You'll be okay, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks, yes, that was my 'gut feeling' too. Their WWW site is finally
back up today but there is nothing other than "nutritional information",
i.e. no ingredients listings.

BTW, bad news for would-be ovo-lacto RTP-goers: their cheese contains
animal rennet (according to their own FAQ).

> BTW, Congrats for raising your son a vegan - excellent future.

Thanks - he's a great living advertisement for the vegan way of life -
everyone who sees him remarks on how healthy and full of vitality he is
(although sometimes he's too full of vitality ;-)).

//Paul

prussell

Sep 21, 2001, 4:15:23 PM9/21/01
prussell wrote:

> Niko wrote:
> >
> > Can't tell you exactly, but I've never put egg in a pizza dough.
> >
> > It'd be pretty strange, IMO, if they added an extra ingredient. Normally
> > they try to reduce the amount of ingredients to save costs.
> >
> > You'll be okay, I'm pretty sure.
> >

> Thanks, yes, that was my 'gut feeling' too. Their WWW site is finally
> back up today but there is nothing other than "nutritional information",
> i.e. no ingredients listings.

Well, unfortunately we were both wrong - I just got the following
response from RTP:

+ Thank you for writing to Round Table. In answer to your question RTP dough
+ contain non-fat dry milk but no eggs or animal fat.

So, OK for ovo-lactos but no good for vegans. I guess we won't be going
to that birthday party after all. :-(

But I guess I could make my own vegan pizza and take it with me - do you
think they'd mind ? ;-)

//Paul