butter beans

Lori Houghton

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

I was making a vegetarian soup this weekend and the recipe called to thicken
the broth with butter beans. Anyone know what these are or where I might
get them? I live in Ontario, Canada? I used white kidney beans instead and
they worked great but I would like to try it with butter beans.

Thanks,

Lori

Natarajan Krishnaswami

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:59:05 GMT, Lori Houghton <houg...@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> Anyone know what these are or where I might get them? I live in
> Ontario, Canada?

IIRC, they look like small, pale yellowish lima beans, and tend to be
a bit softer than lima beans; taste is similar (but a bit milder, or
the other way round ;-). Lima beans would probably make a decent
substitute.

<N/>
--
you have been evaluated. you have a negative reference count. prepare
to be garbage collected. persistence is futile.

Lynn

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Lori Houghton wrote...

>I was making a vegetarian soup this weekend and the recipe called to
>thicken the broth with butter beans. Anyone know what these are or where I
>might get them? I live in Ontario, Canada? I used white kidney beans

>instead and they worked great but I would like to try it with butter beans.

They come in a can. They look like large lima beans, except they're yellow
(I think). I haven't gotten them in a long time, but I usually buy in bulk,
and I don't remember seeing them there, so try the canned section. IIRC,
they're pretty flavorful.

Lynn

Life is a search for the truth; and there is no truth
- Chinese Proverb

Curtis Franklin

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Butter beans are large, white, flat beans. They are similar to large
lima beans. I was frequently served butter beans as part of my school
lunch when I was growing up. I've not completely recovered from the
experience, but they can be quite good if not over-cooked.

Curt Franklin

Ted Alexander

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Lori Houghton wrote:

> Hi,

> I was making a vegetarian soup this weekend and the recipe called to thicken
> the broth with butter beans. Anyone know what these are or where I might
> get them? I live in Ontario, Canada? I used white kidney beans instead and
> they worked great but I would like to try it with butter beans.

Butter beans is another name for lima beans. I think they're called butter
beans in the UK and lima beans in North America.

arn...@mindspring.com

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

On 2000-01-17 houg...@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca said:
>I was making a vegetarian soup this weekend and the recipe called
>to thicken the broth with butter beans. Anyone know what these are

Having grown up in the South, I always thought that lima beans were what
butter beans became if they were allowed to grow too large and were dried.
Or perhaps, butter beans are small, undried
limas? We always grew them in our
garden, and I still love them, even though I hated to shell them when I was
growing up. Now, I buy them frozen, so perhaps you could buy them that way,
too. There are also butter peas, these are even smaller and fatter than
butter beans, and taste similar.

>white kidney beans instead and they worked great but I would like
>to try it with butter beans.

When I eat kidney beans, I think they taste similar; I would use them, too,
if I didn't have butter beans.
>Thanks,
>Lori

Arnold Schmidt
Raleigh, NC

cwam...@nmsu.edu

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Interestingly different responses to the butter bean request. Are they
smaller or larger than lima beans? Are they just the same thing? Are
they lima beans in a different state?

I've seen canned lima beans right next to canned butter beans -- they do
look (and taste) similar. The canned butter beans are larger than the
canned lima beans. But...that's just how DelMonte defines them in my
part of the US. Is it sort of like the distinction between Hominy and
Posole? (more of a how-its-going-to-be-used and geographical distinction
than any difference in the actual product)

FWIW, the best way I ever had butter beans was grilled. They were
placed in a pocket of aluminum foil with some olive oil, then put on the
grill to cook through. Wonderful!

cindy

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Vicky Conlan

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
In article <8628s2$g0m$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <cwam...@nmsu.edu> wrote:
>Interestingly different responses to the butter bean request. Are they
>smaller or larger than lima beans? Are they just the same thing? Are
>they lima beans in a different state?

Er, I'm unsure what lima beans are, but iirc, they're liek enlarged
harricot beans. So butter beans are large, round and flat in comparison.

--
Competitions and slogans: http://uk.comps.org/ http://au.comps.org/

eye of newt

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00

cwam...@nmsu.edu wrote:

> Interestingly different responses to the butter bean request. Are they
> smaller or larger than lima beans? Are they just the same thing? Are
> they lima beans in a different state?

i grew up in the US mid-west (indiana). my father is from the US south
(mississippi) and my mother is from northern indiana.

so, no matter what branch of the family i was visiting, the following held
true:

lima beans--small, green or white, flat beans.
butter beans--large, whitish yellow lima beans.

the dictionary says that the butter bean is a variety of lima bean.

i've seen cookbooks that find these huge white beans with purple streaks and
call them butter beans. it seems to be largely a regional colloquialism.

ygg

Laura Nathanson

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Lori Houghton wrote:
> I was making a vegetarian soup this weekend and the recipe called to thicken
> the broth with butter beans. Anyone know what these are or where I might
> get them? I live in Ontario, Canada? I used white kidney beans instead and

> they worked great but I would like to try it with butter beans.

i have to agree with the other southerner. i've always thought and been told
that butter beans and lima beans were the same..

laura ^_^

RAVI NAM K

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Butter beans have a much nicer flavor than lima beans -- by a long shot! I
recall the lima beans of my youth being very chewy and blah-tasting. Maybe
they had been overcooked -- I don't use them now.

Jean P Nance

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
I agree with the majority here, "butter beans" are a variety of lima
beans. I have never seen them except in canned form.
While on the subject of lima beans, in my opinion they are the best
dried beans ever. They cook in about an hour instead of two, and the
flavor is wonderful. What puzzles me is that while they are available in
most standard grocery stores, our food co-up and our natural food store
don't carry them. We once convinced the co-op to buy a bag, but when that
was gone, they never carried them again. We have requested that the
natural food store carry them, they say they'll look into it, but never
have them. They are a bit more expensive than other beans, but why don't
stores that carry all kinds of esoteric bean varieties want to stock them?

Louise Bremner

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
My ISP is still having problems after the Christmas Meltdown, so
apologies if this is a repeat.....

<cwam...@nmsu.edu> wrote:

> The canned butter beans are larger than the canned lima beans.

And the dried butter beans I buy are also larger than the canned lima
beans I buy.

Rose Elliot's The Bean Book has pictures of both--showing the butter
beans at least twice the size of the lima beans. In the description, she
says that lima beans "are rather like butter beans in appearance and are
indeed referred to as butter beans in the southern USA." For butter
beans: "They need careful cooking so that they are tender but not
mushy." (And I've found this out myself.) So it looks like the recipe
that Lori Houghton mentioned is using this as a "feature".

> FWIW, the best way I ever had butter beans was grilled. They were placed
> in a pocket of aluminum foil with some olive oil, then put on the grill to
> cook through.

Ooooooo.... That sounds yummy. I'm looking for things to cook on a
tabletop grill.
Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com), from (^_^) Tokyo

JOYCE AVERETT

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
I am from lower Al, most people grow their own butter been (as a child,
I requested the butter bean to shell, rather than the peas) You will
find we have white butter bean and speckled butter bean. Lima's are a
dried white butter bean, yes, they can be canned. Rarely will you in
Canada find speckled unless they are frozen.
Okra usually accompanied the dish of butter bean, along with peas.....of
course, corn pone

Pammyam

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
I grew up with home-grown butter beans in Virginia. They were always smaller
than limas. Maybe this is just because they were picked young. They were
greener (out of the shell) and had a buttery taste. They were awful to shell,
and still are. The skin on the "bean" bruises quite easily. I have never seen
dried butter beans. They are similar in appearance to limas, so I guess they
are kin.

peteandpaula

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Hello,
I've been Veggie for 10 years now & have never heard of white kidney beans
but butter beans are dead common over here in the UK. I wonder if it's a
simple case of them having different names in the different countries?
Butter beans do look like white kidney beans. They are also called 'Lima
beans'.
Anyway, as I said, I'm only guessing!
Paula

Lori Houghton wrote...

cleanx...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2014, 2:25:04 AM6/17/14
On Monday, January 17, 2000 8:00:00 AM UTC, Lori Houghton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was making a vegetarian soup this weekend and the recipe called to thicken
> the broth with butter beans. Anyone know what these are or where I might
> get them? I live in Ontario, Canada? I used white kidney beans instead and
> they worked great but I would like to try it with butter beans.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lori

Hi Lori.
I'm English. Butter beans look and taste very similar harricot beans (baked beans) only bigger and flatter. Broad beans are very dry in texture but butter are a pleasant all rounder that goes really well in stews :-)
Hope this helped!