Kudos for Sourdoughs International

BillyFish

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

As some may have noticed, I have been using this newsgroup for several years
now. My sourdough efforts have varied from nothing to decent but never really
great in spite of help from various posters. I have recently purchase San
Francisco starter from Sourdoughs International, and my sourdough life has
changed!

The accompanying booklet, although not free from ambiguity, gave reasonably
clear instructions on how to reconstitute a working starter. It gave good
instructions on how long one might exptect to wait for various stages in the
process to be reached. It indicated that small amounts of starter would give
give sourer tastes at the expense of longer proof times. It suggested how to
make a spreadsheet to adjust the various combinations of starter, flour, and
water to obtain a good bread.

These ideas have worked for me. I now have an active starter that seems to be
doing everything I expect. The first bread was nicely sour but dense. The
second was not so sour (I used more starter) fluffy and collapsed a bit during
baking. The third seemed to be good in every way except for the sour taste
(again too much starter) which was there but mild. The fourth one was almost
perfect. It used 1/4 cup of starter and took about 15 hours to proof. I also
baked this one in the oven although I used my bread machine to knead.

I now have a starter that is sufficiently predictible to allow experiments to
proceed. Thanks SI.

William Buchman

John Mannin

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
I did not acquire my starter from SI, but I did buy Ed Wood's book,
Sourdoughs from Antiquity. Reading this book really helped me a lot. My
starter was given to me by a co-worker, and I had only his instructions to
go by.

I was able to make bread with nice flavor, but it did not rise as much as I
would like. After reading the book, I discovered that I had a slow culture
and discovered the miracle of the second proof to "re start the yeast" at
just the right time to leaven the bread.

John Mannin

rzw...@bigfoot.com

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
I had a not so pleasant experience with them. I called them 3 times and
emailed them once to check the status of my order and never got a returned
phone call, nor an email back. I finally reached someone the fourth time,
and she told me that they don't make long distance phone calls because they
hardly make anything from selling one culture anyway. That may be true, but
is that the way to handle customers who may give you repeat/referred
business? What a joke. I couldn't believe the nerve the lady had. They may
sell good starters, but they sure need to be schooled on customer service.
By the way, SI if you read this, did you know email was free?????

Ryan Zwahr
In article <19980927140518...@ng97.aol.com>,

Jean Wood

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98