Flat taste

kyonshi

Dec 2, 2022, 9:38:37 AM12/2/22
I have recently started a sourdough from scratch again, and noticed that
this one... just doesn't really make that great bread. It does rise, and
it smells ok, but the taste of the bread is kind of boring, almost
unpleasant. (just sour)
Does that happen to other people as well, and does anyone have ideas how
to get the flavor to improve?

This one I started with a mix of whole grain wheat and rye, and have
been feeding it alternatingly rye and wheat flour.
I have the suspicion that I should let it rise longer, but I already am
pushing it close to or over 24 hours and it still doesn't really come
out nice.

Graham

Dec 2, 2022, 2:08:16 PM12/2/22
I don't think it's necessary to feed your culture with rye after the
initial mix.
I take it that you are using the typical 100% hydration SD culture.
Use some of it to make a 65%, firm starter and try that to make your
bread. The flavour should be more subtle.

Shadow

Dec 2, 2022, 2:29:15 PM12/2/22
Did you get COVID? That can alter the perception of taste.

How "new" is the starter? It takes a couple of months(or you
can "wash" it if you want to shorten that), before it settles down.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

kyonshi

Dec 2, 2022, 2:34:57 PM12/2/22
On 02/12/2022 20:29, Shadow wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 15:38:35 +0100, kyonshi <gmk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Did you get COVID? That can alter the perception of taste.
I had COVID yes, but I otherwise haven't noticed any loss of taste or smell.

> How "new" is the starter? It takes a couple of months(or you
> can "wash" it if you want to shorten that), before it settles down.

Maybe it's just that, I started it about three weeks ago I think.

kyonshi

Dec 2, 2022, 2:37:38 PM12/2/22
Maybe I should just try to do it with wheat, this is the first time I
have been using rye consistently, so maybe it's that. All my previous
starters I just used the flour I had around already (i.e. normal type
450 or 850 wheat flour).

Jim Brad

Feb 10, 2023, 7:58:46 PM2/10/23
I have been making sourdough for over a year now and had a similar issue
when I first started. Once I got the mother stared, I kept using 1/2
rye and 1/2 unbleached all purpose.

After a month or so, I switched to using white only. Lo and behold, the
flavor improved and the rise as well.

Daniel

Feb 17, 2023, 3:31:20 AM2/17/23
Such great tips. I've been lurking in here and I'm getting close to
making my first starter.

Daniel

Donald

Mar 23, 2023, 8:24:44 PM3/23/23
Jim . . .

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 19:58:45 -0500, Jim Brad <jimb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Once I got the mother stared, I kept using 1/2
>rye and 1/2 unbleached all purpose.
>
>After a month or so, I switched to using white only. Lo and behold, the
>flavor improved and the rise as well.

I tried using whole wheat flour. I found the bread was much better after
changing to either 1/2 unbleached white and 1/2 whole wheat or just 100%
unbleached white.

The latter tastes better but isn't as good for me since I'm a diabetic.

Donald