sourdough pancakes

John Washington

May 16, 2021, 2:24:27 PM5/16/21
does anyone have a GOOD recipe for sourdough pancakes that does not involve the addition of baking powder or baking soda? the best recipe i've encountered so far was from an old fermentation book, but i'd like a version with a batter that's pour-able. my version relies on spreading out a somewhat stiff batter. help would be greatly appreciated.

Boron Elgar

May 16, 2021, 5:03:50 PM5/16/21
On Sun, 16 May 2021 11:24:26 -0700 (PDT), John Washington
<brave...@gmail.com> wrote:

>does anyone have a GOOD recipe for sourdough pancakes that does not involve the addition of baking powder or baking soda? the best recipe i've encountered so far was from an old fermentation book, but i'd like a version with a batter that's pour-able. my version relies on spreading out a somewhat stiff batter. help would be greatly appreciated.

Just curious, but why no BP or BS additions? BP, an alkaline, works
with the acid in the sourdough to get a rise in your pancakes. BP has
both acid and alkaline properties. Both are leavening agents and I do
not think you'll get much of a rise without the BS.

In general when making pancake batter, if you want it pourable, just
add more milk, making it thinner. Never seen one that has to be spread
rather than spooned or poured, but there are a million recipes out
there.

IF, if, if, you are looking just to make a thin, Swedish pancake sort
of thing, and are not looking for a rise, by all means, no BS is
necessary at all. Flour, egg, milk salt, fat- you can use a sourdough
starter in places of the separate flour and milk.

John Washington

Jun 30, 2021, 8:33:56 PM6/30/21
I LOVE the taste of REALLY sour pancakes, and I like avoiding certain modern ingredients, such as Baking powder...just doesn't seem right. I have made great tasting pancakes that have risen VERY well withouth baking soda and baking powder, its just the batter is a bit thicker than I'd like. I'm gonna play around with liquid quantities to see what I can manage.

Also curious about temperature of starter. My doughs are now wanting to ferment at higher and higher temps. Is there any benefit to using a starter that ferments at higher temperatures? I noticed my batters (hydrolize?) break down the gluten well and sometimes the dough is a sticky/gloopy mess after fermenting.

Rob Zaleski

Jul 13, 2021, 11:47:03 AM7/13/21
On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 8:33:56 PM UTC-4, brave...@gmail.com wrote:
> I LOVE the taste of REALLY sour pancakes, and I like avoiding certain modern ingredients, such as Baking powder...just doesn't seem right. I have made great tasting pancakes that have risen VERY well withouth baking soda and baking powder, its just the batter is a bit thicker than I'd like. I'm gonna play around with liquid quantities to see what I can manage.
>
> Also curious about temperature of starter. My doughs are now wanting to ferment at higher and higher temps. Is there any benefit to using a starter that ferments at higher temperatures? I noticed my batters (hydrolize?) break down the gluten well and sometimes the dough is a sticky/gloopy mess after fermenting.

I found that I like adding whole wheat flour with bran to my pancakes, I have some I got from a local farmer. Adds a lot of good hearty flavor to the pancakes. Also +1 on the fat / butter in the batter, adds something to it.

I don't have anything against BS so I add it, but if you can get the timing right to have a frothier batter that you pour sounds like a plan. Generally when I make pancakes with sourdough 70% of the batter has been sitting in the fridge from past feedings and it's well broken down, I just add the whole wheat + other ingredients to firm it up and make them immediately since most of the batter I'm using is overly digested and not good for much else than flavor.