Coronabread

Shadow

Apr 10, 2020, 10:52:12 PM4/10/20
Anyone want to try a different yeast?

I've started this from scratch twice, and it works, the second time
with a different brand of sugar/flour to check it wasn't a fluke.
.
It's NOT sourdough. The yeast feeds on sucrose, not maltose The gluten
is left intact, so the bread is always "springy", though I like the
tangy taste of sourdough more.

To make the starter

1 liter of water.
4 heaped tablespoons of white flour
4 heaped tablespoons of sugar (I used granulated, don't think it
matters)
1 rounded tablespoon of salt

Pour the water into a smallish plastic basin (I used one 9" across)
dunk the other ingredients on top, as far as possible from each other.
DO NOT stir, shake or mix. Try to keep them separate.

Cover tightly with a cloth to keep the bugs out, and place in a warm
place for at least 5 days. You can peek every day, but try not to mix
the ingredients.

By warm, I mean around 30C

Then post any results (hint - the flour rising as a creamy scum and/or
bubbles is a sign of activity).

The second phase only takes 2 days, tops, and the starter can be
stored for up to a month in the fridge without losing activity.

I'll post the recipe for that if anyone does phase 1.

I'm interested if it works elsewhere, it certainly does in Brazil.
Baked 9 loaves made with the starter in the last month.
TIA
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004