Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Oregon sourdough starter

48 views
Skip to first unread message

Bob Johnson

unread,
Jun 27, 2022, 5:55:05 AM6/27/22
to
Hi Guys: Newbie here to sourdough. Does anyone recommend the Oregon sourdough starter?


Shadow

unread,
Jun 28, 2022, 10:08:20 AM6/28/22
to
On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 02:55:03 -0700 (PDT), Bob Johnson
<cheesek...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Guys: Newbie here to sourdough. Does anyone recommend the Oregon sourdough starter?

Make your own. It'll take up to a couple of weeks, depending
on ambient temperature, but you'll end up with a starter that is
adapted to your environment.

<https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-sourdough-starter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-47337>

Has the basics right. It uses very large amounts of flour and
water, though.Use half the amount of flour and water recommended and
chuck half the previous day's starter before adding more flour and
water.
It'll go though various phases, (including an unpleasant one,
when the starter smells like baby puke) but just carry on feeding.
Once it's nice and bubbly, take a teaspoon full and add 2
ounces of flour and water. Known as "cleaning" the starter. That will
be your permanent starter. When doubling it to make bread, always save
a portion or two for next time.
I made mine ~20 years ago, and it's still going strong.
HTH
PS Ignore any recipes that require commercial yeast, pineapple
juice, grapes, etc. Use only plain flour and water.

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Google Fuchsia - 2021

Graham

unread,
Jun 28, 2022, 10:35:01 AM6/28/22
to
Start off by using whole wheat flour and, if you have it, a small amount
of rye flour. Use this mix for the first feeding then switch to white
bread flour.

Shadow

unread,
Jun 29, 2022, 9:23:08 AM6/29/22
to
On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 08:35:00 -0600, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-06-28 8:07 a.m., Shadow wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 02:55:03 -0700 (PDT), Bob Johnson
>> <cheesek...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys: Newbie here to sourdough. Does anyone recommend the Oregon sourdough starter?
>>
>> Make your own. It'll take up to a couple of weeks, depending
>> on ambient temperature, but you'll end up with a starter that is
>> adapted to your environment.
>>
>> <https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-sourdough-starter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-47337>
>>
>> Has the basics right. It uses very large amounts of flour and
>> water, though.Use half the amount of flour and water recommended and
>> chuck half the previous day's starter before adding more flour and
>> water.
>> It'll go though various phases, (including an unpleasant one,
>> when the starter smells like baby puke) but just carry on feeding.
>> Once it's nice and bubbly, take a teaspoon full and add 2
>> ounces of flour and water. Known as "cleaning" the starter. That will
>> be your permanent starter. When doubling it to make bread, always save
>> a portion or two for next time.
>> I made mine ~20 years ago, and it's still going strong.
>> HTH
>> PS Ignore any recipes that require commercial yeast, pineapple
>> juice, grapes, etc. Use only plain flour and water.
>>
>
>Start off by using whole wheat flour and, if you have it, a small amount
>of rye flour. Use this mix for the first feeding then switch to white
>bread flour.

That'll speed the process up. I like to keep it simple(r).
Patience & virtue etc et al.
:)
[]'s
0 new messages