Advice on dough prep

Daniel

Mar 2, 2023, 8:02:29 AM3/2/23
When I make dough, it's the lazy man way. I set my bread machine to the
dough setting and waiting for the beep.

After this, I place the dough ball in an oiled bowl and I give it a few
hours to rise. The ninety minute cycle doesn't rise it enough. After my
extra rise, it's always beautiful.

Often times the dough isn't used right away. Half is used for pizza or naan,
then the rest gets a celo wrap and into the fridge.

My problem occurs when rolling the dough out, it wants to recoil every
time and I have to continue rolling it and rolling it until it finally
obtains the desired thickness and shape. Is there a way I can fix this?

Daniel

Shadow

Mar 2, 2023, 10:02:02 AM3/2/23
Yes, wait ~10 minutes between each "roll". Gluten matrix takes
time to "relax".
I usually make 7 pizzas shells at a time, so I start on the
first, when it starts getting too elastic move to the next. When I get
to the 7th the first one is easy to roll again. Repeat as necessary.
PS I make batches of 7, bake them, let them cool, put them in
the freezer and take out one at a time. I'm not a hog...
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Sqwertz

Mar 2, 2023, 11:02:19 AM3/2/23
After letting it come back up to room temp (if it was in the
fridge), you need to let it rest/relax between handlings. Just
cover it with plastic wrap however it lays in the counter and walk
away for 15-20 minutes at a time. And then come back and work
quickly. And don't keep balling it up. The gluten will start to
stiffen up again every time you handle it.

-sw

f...@sdf.org

Mar 2, 2023, 11:14:29 AM3/2/23
uh, phrasing?!

--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
-- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

Sqwertz

Mar 2, 2023, 4:12:48 PM3/2/23
On Thu, 02 Mar 2023 16:14:27 GMT, f...@sdf.org wrote:

> On 2023-03-02, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Mar 2023 13:01:36 +0000, Daniel wrote:
>
>>> When I make dough, it's the lazy man way. I set my bread machine to the
>>> dough setting and waiting for the beep.
>
>>> After this, I place the dough ball in an oiled bowl and I give it a few
>>> hours to rise. The ninety minute cycle doesn't rise it enough. After my
>>> extra rise, it's always beautiful.
>
>>> Often times the dough isn't used right away. Half is used for pizza or naan,
>>> then the rest gets a celo wrap and into the fridge.
>
>>> My problem occurs when rolling the dough out, it wants to recoil every
>>> time and I have to continue rolling it and rolling it until it finally
>>> obtains the desired thickness and shape. Is there a way I can fix this?
>
>> After letting it come back up to room temp (if it was in the
>> fridge), you need to let it rest/relax between handlings. Just
>> cover it with plastic wrap however it lays in the counter and walk
>> away for 15-20 minutes at a time. And then come back and work
>> quickly. And don't keep balling it up. The gluten will start to
>> stiffen up again every time you handle it.
>
> uh, phrasing?!

Uh, what?!

-sw

Graham

Mar 2, 2023, 6:54:56 PM3/2/23
You must let the gluten relax between rollings. However, as yo use the
dough for pizzas, try using Italian "00" flour instead. The gluten
content is lower and it makes great pizzas.

f...@sdf.org

Mar 3, 2023, 6:24:16 AM3/3/23

Michael Trew

Mar 3, 2023, 2:25:12 PM3/3/23
On 3/2/2023 8:01, Daniel wrote:

> Often times the dough isn't used right away. Half is used for pizza or naan,
> then the rest gets a celo wrap and into the fridge.
>
> My problem occurs when rolling the dough out, it wants to recoil every
> time and I have to continue rolling it and rolling it until it finally
> obtains the desired thickness and shape. Is there a way I can fix this?
>
> Daniel

After you warm the dough up, let it relax for 15 minutes or so before
rolling it out.

Alternatively, flour the backs of your hands and learn to toss the
dough; it's fun!