Is DAK Still in Business?

Phil Landis

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

Will the person who posted the Subject question
recently, please email me directly? I have found
an answer for you. Unfortunately I lost your
address.

Phil Landis

--
Phil Landis * "In this world there are only two tragedies.
On the Space Coast, FL * One is not getting what one wants, and the other

Steve

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

How about just posting the answer on the newsgroup? I, for one, would like to
know what happened to Dak.

Steve

Jeffrey W. Spencer

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

The other day in one of the question/answer columns of our paper, a lady
asked about contacting DAK for a new paddle for her bread machine. Turns
out, DAK is gone. However, there's another called DAK Gourmet or
something like that. They are supposedly in no way affiliated with the
former DAK, but they do carry the replacement parts and the bread
machines (i think) that the former DAK carried. I'm sure my wife sent
the paper off for recycling already, but if not, I'll post the article.
The column is a national column like Dear Abbey, but I know it wasn't
that particular one. Someone might dig through the last week's worth of
papers and see if they can find this if they're desperate.

Jeff

Jeffrey W. Spencer Email: j...@ee.umr.edu
Electrical Engineering Phone: 573-341-4919
University of Missouri-Rolla Fax: 573-341-4532

Jeffrey W. Spencer

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Well, I hate to follow up my own posts, but I called my wife and she
salvaged the newspaper that had the column mentioning DAK. Here's what i
got from her on the phone:

DAK Industries is no longer in business. A lady wrote in asking how to
contact them and get a new paddle for the DAK Turbo Baker II bread
machine. There is a company out there who does carry parts and I think
she said the machines too. They are:

DAK Gourmet Products
1-800-656-BAKE (it could be 636, my wife couldn't tell)
19749 Bahama St.
Northridge, CA 91324

Supposedly they're not associated with the former DAK unless the article
meant they're *no longer* associated. In any case, hope this helps..

Craig Jones

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <4oj5q4$m...@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Steve.J...@worldnet.att.net says...

My DAK Turbo Baker II appears to be a dead ringer for the WelBilt (not
sure which model). You might want ot try contacting them.

--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation -- heck,

Mark Horne

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <31AE1C...@ee.umr.edu>, "Jeffrey W. Spencer"
<j...@ee.umr.edu> wrote:

> DAK Gourmet Products
> 1-800-656-BAKE (it could be 636, my wife couldn't tell)
> 19749 Bahama St.
> Northridge, CA 91324

It is a "5" -- (800) 656-2253

However that number is for ordering stuff only. If you want info on what
products they carry (including new and refurbished bread machines), it's a
toll call: (818) 886-5895

Mark

--
Mark Horne mho...@ucla.edu

Paula Elberhoumi

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

>Jeff

Thanks for posting the info about that "DAK Gourmet" company. I hope they
are associated with the old DAK. I have a DAK bread machine, the 4 hour
one, and it works like a charm. I use it at least once a week or more.

I used to receive all their little recipe updates. If anyone would like
any of these recipes, let me know.
--
Paula in Manhattan
pau...@nyc.pipeline.com

Phil Landis

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Approximately two weeks ago, I attempted to locate the remaining
contingent of DAK for a gentleman who was anxious to find DAK on
behalf of his daughter.

I was unsuccessful. Even the newsgroups were referring to the DAK
catalog as a defunct publication. I reported this to him and
deleted his messages.

Soon after that, I saw the following message in Bread Bakers
Digest.

>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v096.n014.9 ---------------
>
>From: mjo...@digital.net (Michael Jones)
>Subject: RE: Dak
>Date: Sat, 18 May 96 13:48:55 GMT
>
>>Is DAK still in business ??
>
>They did experience some bussiness problems, but they are back now as:
>
>DAK Gourmet Products
>19749 Bahama ST.
>Northridge, CA 91324
>(818) 886-5896 (800) 656-BAKE
>
>----
>Michael Jones (mjo...@digital.net)

I attempted to relocate the gentleman by posting the following
item:

And Jeff wrote:

>The other day in one of the question/answer columns of our paper, a lady
>asked about contacting DAK for a new paddle for her bread machine. Turns
>out, DAK is gone. However, there's another called DAK Gourmet or
>something like that. They are supposedly in no way affiliated with the
>former DAK, but they do carry the replacement parts and the bread
>machines (i think) that the former DAK carried. I'm sure my wife sent
>the paper off for recycling already, but if not, I'll post the article.
>The column is a national column like Dear Abbey, but I know it wasn't
>that particular one. Someone might dig through the last week's worth of
>papers and see if they can find this if they're desperate.
>
>Jeff

In the meantime, in an attempt to see if there is anything genuine
about the "DAK Gourmet Products" address and phone number, I
called them. A very friendly lady answered and I asked if DAK was
alive and well.

She replied that they took over just the bread baking part of DAK's
business when DAK went bankrupt. She told me that they sell
machine and parts etc. She offered me a catalog and promised to
mail it immediately.

I've stated all I know. The mysterious gentleman who asked for the
info, originally, has never replied to my messages.

Best regards to all concerned,

Phil Landis

| |
| Phil Landis "A man is not old until his regrets |
| E-mail: pla...@iu.net start taking the place of his dreams" |
| On the Space Coast -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- |
| Brevard County Heard on a TV talk show. |
| Florida Author unknown. |
|_________________________________________________________________|

Del Stanton

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

DAK had to close their doors when the Japanese bank that had
extended them a line of credit closed it. The only thing Drew A.
Kaplan could do was shut down and sell everything off.
Regrettably I missed the several weeks long quitting business
sale.

Drew Kaplan said he would start another company - but I have not
received any information about it. He was a unique entrepreneur
and brought many unusal products to market. He took all the
pictures for the catalog and wrote all the copy - at least for a
long while if not to the end.

Del Stanton Burbank, California (near Los Angeles), USA
sd...@pacificnet.net (Lower case SDL, numeric 20)

weiler

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Del,

Yes !! (Info to follow.) I have a DAK Bread Machine which we got
nearly five years ago. I love it. And I worry about everyone else
thinking about getting a Bread Machine. They can get whatever they
like but I would dearly hate for them to have anything less than this
machine ... which is incredible !!

Okay. DAK Gourmet Products 19749 Bahama Street
1-800-656-2253 ("BAKE") Northridge, CA 91324

I got this info from someone else on the net; god bless the net !!!
The woman I spoke with was majorly nice !! I had them send me a new
catalog. I was disappointed in it ... in that I really loved Drew's
booklet. This new one is all glitz and no guts. But that doesn't
change the product !!

Anyone/everyone thinking about getting a bread machine should at least
have one of these brochures sent to them. I've never used any other
so I can't compare but I've seen/heard a few tidbits that confirm that
this is a good machine.

Two things I love about it that I believe are unique and maybe silly
but I love them anyway: The entire dome lid is glass so you can see
the whole process. Someone told me this was a bad thing and that the
bread wouldn't cook right because the heat would escape or something.
Well, our bread is just beautiful !! The second thing - the bread is
round. I thought that was weird at first but it has become a very
special thing about our bread. I would be very unhappy if I had to
step down to square bread ! Think about it ... no corners !! Besides,
we have the best french toast in the world ... maybe inch-thick fresh
bread (five minutes to pop the ingredience in the machine the night
before !!) that fits oh-so-perfectly into the frypan !!!

Well, any other questions I could maybe answer, don't hesitate to ask.
I have nothing to do with the company but I dearly love this machine and
am happy to "support" it.
-Kristina

Del Stanton (sd...@pacificnet.net) wrote:
: DAK had to close their doors when the Japanese bank that had

Alan Horowitz

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Drew Kaplan isn't unique. Lots of bigmouths have opened under-capitalized
businesses. Did Kaplan pay all his creditors all their money?

Gary Clark

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

You said:
-Del,
-
- Yes !! (Info to follow.) I have a DAK Bread Machine which we got
-nearly five years ago. I love it. And I worry about everyone else
-thinking about getting a Bread Machine. They can get whatever they
-like but I would dearly hate for them to have anything less than this
-machine ... which is incredible !!
-
-Okay. DAK Gourmet Products 19749 Bahama Street
- 1-800-656-2253 ("BAKE") Northridge, CA 91324
-
-I got this info from someone else on the net; god bless the net !!!
-The woman I spoke with was majorly nice !! I had them send me a new
-catalog. I was disappointed in it ... in that I really loved Drew's
-booklet. This new one is all glitz and no guts. But that doesn't
-change the product !!

I called the number above and they said that DAK _is_ out of business.
I believe the company answering was Dacor-Main

Gary-

Jeremy Cantor

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

On Thu, 30 May 96 03:50:02 GMT, Steve.J...@worldnet.att.net
(Steve) wrote:

>In article <plandis-2605...@netport-37.iu.net>, pla...@iu.net (Phil Landis) wrote:

>>Will the person who posted the Subject question
>>recently, please email me directly? I have found
>>an answer for you. Unfortunately I lost your
>>address.
>>
>>Phil Landis
>>

>>--
>>Phil Landis * "In this world there are only two tragedies.
>>On the Space Coast, FL * One is not getting what one wants, and the other
>>Pla...@iu.net * is getting it." Oscar Wilde
>

>How about just posting the answer on the newsgroup? I, for one, would like to
>know what happened to Dak.
>
>Steve

I have also "discovered" Dak gourmet products after 6 months of
procrastinating and 10 minutes of real research, so now I have a new
paddle (different material--solid flourocarbon?) and I'm baking again,
much to the delight of the rest of the family, not to mention a friend
with whom I have a bread-for-eggs deal going. I know this group is
".....sourdough", but I'll mention this anyway: If you can get eggs
from free-range chickens, fed on earwigs and anything else they can
find, you can make a FAR better egg bread than you can with
store-bought eggs. I'll give the recipe to anyone who wants it....

Regarding the DAK machine---I have come to the conclusion that EVERY
bread machine on the market is built around one, and only one,
computer chip. The shapes, capacities, and motor sizes may differ,
but they all have exactly the same time & temperature capabilities. I
keep hoping that someone will market a machine that will allow you to
change cycle times by known amounts (such as , subtract 5 minutes from
final rise time and add 10 minutes to bake time), but I have seen no
such thing so far. If anyone knows of one, please e-mail me!
Meanwhile, my Turbo Breadmaker II is doing a great job.

Though I do worry that if I start an unusually stiff batch of dough
(like a rye with lots of rye in it) and leave the house the motor will
jam (possible) and the machine will catch fire (possible? or
paranoid?).......

jc...@chevron.com

weiler

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Pat Weston wrote:

> You sure are right about Dak bread machine. I'm so glad I got your post
> on rec.recieps.baking. My cat chewed up the washer that goes under the
> pot and I haven't been able to find where to order a new one.

Frustrating, ain't it ?!! Evidently the old DAK was supposed to give the
new DAK the customer list. It would have been better for all of us. At
least I think so, and folks like yourself. They could have sent us all a
letter or something and saved a lot of people a lot of grief.

I figure we just all have to do our part to broadcast the info !

> I have looked at the other brands in the stores, and they can't compare
> to DAK. I hate those little square pans! Try using it to mix things like
> cookie dough instead of the mixer. Works great!

Yeah, I sure do agree with you here ! The thought of square bread is
really distressing. And I keep hearing people comment about their bread
sticking in their pans. I can't figure this out. Mine has never stuck
(in five years) ... the pan is just wonderful ... and so easy to clean ...
and no corners to worry about either !!!

Cookie dough, huh ? Hm ... interesting ...

> Thanks for the address.
>
> Pat Weston
> Wildwood, Missouri

Happy baking (I made Dill Pickle bread yesterday ... wild !!!)

-Kristina

Pat Weston

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96
to wei...@voicenet.com

wei...@voicenet.com (weiler) wrote:
>Del,

> Yes !! (Info to follow.) I have a DAK Bread Machine which we got
>nearly five years ago. I love it. And I worry about everyone else
>thinking about getting a Bread Machine. They can get whatever they
>like but I would dearly hate for them to have anything less than this
>machine ... which is incredible !!
>
>Okay. DAK Gourmet Products 19749 Bahama Street
> 1-800-656-2253 ("BAKE") Northridge, CA 91324
>
>I got this info from someone else on the net; god bless the net !!!
>The woman I spoke with was majorly nice !! I had them send me a new
>catalog. I was disappointed in it ... in that I really loved Drew's
>booklet. This new one is all glitz and no guts. But that doesn't

You sure are right about Dak bread machine. I'm so glad I got your post
on rec.recieps.baking. My cat chewed up the washer that goes under the
pot and I haven't been able to find where to order a new one.

I have looked at the other brands in the stores, and they can't compare

to DAK. I hate those little square pans! Try using it to mix things like
cookie dough instead of the mixer. Works great!

Thanks for the address.

Pat Weston
Wildwood, Missouri

Pat Weston

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96
to al...@widomaker.com

Who cares! He had a great bread machine!

Patty Perkins

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

I'll have to go back and check the number I had, but another kind user
gave me the info to get ahold of the new DAK folks several weeks ago.
When I called, they didn't indicate anything about being out of business
and I put my name on the list for their new brochure. If it's different
than the one here, I'll post it but I got thru with no problems.

Patty

Jackie Kuscher

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

I'm another DAK bread machine lover!! Had ours for 5 years and
still works and gives us great stuff. Yes, very easy to clean and I
love the round loaf and glass top. Am glad a previous person gave
us all the new number - much thanks and continued great baking
to all.

Jackie

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:47:57 -0400, weiler <wei...@voicenet.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Pat Weston wrote:
>>

>> You sure are right about Dak bread machine. I'm so glad I got your post
>> on rec.recieps.baking. My cat chewed up the washer that goes under the
>> pot and I haven't been able to find where to order a new one.
>

>Frustrating, ain't it ?!! Evidently the old DAK was supposed to give the
>new DAK the customer list. It would have been better for all of us. At
>least I think so, and folks like yourself. They could have sent us all a
>letter or something and saved a lot of people a lot of grief.
>
>I figure we just all have to do our part to broadcast the info !
>

>> I have looked at the other brands in the stores, and they can't compare
>> to DAK. I hate those little square pans! Try using it to mix things like
>> cookie dough instead of the mixer. Works great!
>

>Yeah, I sure do agree with you here ! The thought of square bread is
>really distressing. And I keep hearing people comment about their bread
>sticking in their pans. I can't figure this out. Mine has never stuck
>(in five years) ... the pan is just wonderful ... and so easy to clean ...
>and no corners to worry about either !!!
>
>Cookie dough, huh ? Hm ... interesting ...
>

>> Thanks for the address.
>>
>> Pat Weston
>> Wildwood, Missouri

Cathey Trumbull

Aug 9, 2022, 1:53:36 PM8/9/22

Donald

Sep 25, 2022, 2:46:49 PM9/25/22
Yes, they're still in business.

https://www.dak.com/shop-page/

They will probably never be like they were in their glory days decades ago,
though. They do carry useful products, sometimes at great prices.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 10:53:35 -0700 (PDT), Cathey Trumbull <ncgw...@gmail.com>