Concentrate, concentrate!

Graham

Nov 15, 2020, 1:03:48 PM11/15/20
With all the restrictions and lousy weather, I decided to do some baking on
Friday. I made 5 x 400g loaves of sourdough bread and 3 batches of sablés
(vanilla, chocolate, and lemon). As the latter required refrigeration
overnight, I decided to make some tangzhong bread buns on Saturday while
batches of the cookies were baking.
I’ve made these bread buns several times and my son’s family loves them.
However, this time, the dough behaved very differently and was much wetter
than usual, coating the mixer-bowl walls. I added a bit more flour and kept
the mixer running a bit longer than usual and eventually managed to make
some decent looking buns.
As I was cleaning up and putting things away, I realised I had used the
CAKE FLOUR instead of the bread flour! No wonder the dough behaved
differently.

Shadow

Nov 16, 2020, 6:33:12 PM11/16/20
On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 11:03:44 -0700, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>With all the restrictions and lousy weather, I decided to do some baking on
>Friday. I made 5 x 400g loaves of sourdough bread and 3 batches of sablés
>(vanilla, chocolate, and lemon). As the latter required refrigeration
>overnight, I decided to make some tangzhong bread buns on Saturday while
>batches of the cookies were baking.
>Iĸve made these bread buns several times and my sonĸs family loves them.
>However, this time, the dough behaved very differently and was much wetter
>than usual, coating the mixer-bowl walls. I added a bit more flour and kept
>the mixer running a bit longer than usual and eventually managed to make
>some decent looking buns.
>As I was cleaning up and putting things away, I realised I had used the
>CAKE FLOUR instead of the bread flour! No wonder the dough behaved
>differently.

You're lucky. We can't get bread flour here in Brazil (unless
you order a 50Kg sack directly from a Mill). So we have to use "all
purpose".
I'm currently trying them all, some have hardly any gluten at
all, others make a semi decent Italian bread.
Best I've got so far is 68% hydration. Some can't take more
than 60%. Any more than that and you're trying to fold/shape soup.
LOL
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Graham

Nov 16, 2020, 8:50:47 PM11/16/20
Have you looked for gluten flour? that might solve your problems.

Shadow

Nov 19, 2020, 12:55:53 PM11/19/20
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 18:50:45 -0700, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 20:32:00 -0300, Shadow wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 11:03:44 -0700, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>With all the restrictions and lousy weather, I decided to do some baking on
>>>Friday. I made 5 x 400g loaves of sourdough bread and 3 batches of sablés
>>>(vanilla, chocolate, and lemon). As the latter required refrigeration
>>>overnight, I decided to make some tangzhong bread buns on Saturday while
>>>batches of the cookies were baking.
>>>I˙ve made these bread buns several times and my son˙s family loves them.
>>>However, this time, the dough behaved very differently and was much wetter
>>>than usual, coating the mixer-bowl walls. I added a bit more flour and kept
>>>the mixer running a bit longer than usual and eventually managed to make
>>>some decent looking buns.
>>>As I was cleaning up and putting things away, I realised I had used the
>>>CAKE FLOUR instead of the bread flour! No wonder the dough behaved
>>>differently.
>>
>> You're lucky. We can't get bread flour here in Brazil (unless
>> you order a 50Kg sack directly from a Mill). So we have to use "all
>> purpose".
>> I'm currently trying them all, some have hardly any gluten at
>> all, others make a semi decent Italian bread.
>> Best I've got so far is 68% hydration. Some can't take more
>> than 60%. Any more than that and you're trying to fold/shape soup.
>> LOL
>> []'s
>
>Have you looked for gluten flour? that might solve your problems.

I might, if it existed here. Import taxes are prohibitive.
As an example
Supermarket flour: Under US$ 3.00 a 5 Kg bag(sometimes less
than US$ 2.00 when it's on offer)
Italian bread flour: US$ 25.00 a 5 Kg bag. Plus freight.
So I pretend Italian bread flour doesn't even exist.

Dick Adams

Nov 19, 2020, 8:49:45 PM11/19/20
Last time I bought bread flour (GM All Trumps) at Restaurant Depot near
Boston, 50 lb cost less than $20. You need a business license or how to
do a con. In the supermarket sometimes you can get King Arthur bread
flour for like $1/lb. (1 Kg = 2.2 lb) Go figure.