Extinct Chains...

KazamaSmokers

Sep 26, 2001, 6:06:02 PM9/26/01
Anyone remember Valle's, the steakhouse chain based out of Maine? They
all went under in the early 1980's... but I remember seeing one in the
Tampa area where they had simply reversed the lettering on the sign
and re-opened under the name "Vella's".

How about "Howdy Beef 'n' Burger"? They had a burger that was
grotesquely large... something like a foot across. Really weird.

"Jim Dandy Chicken"? I think there may be one or two still around in
the Northeast.

"Arthur Treacher's" - I think some still exist in the midwest - but
most of the locations in New England became "Scooby's" for about a
decade before they folded.

"Zum Zum" - it seemed like there was one on every corner in Manhattan
in the 1070's...

"Abdow's Big Boy" - now mostly Bickford's Pancake Houses.

"Ruggle's" - they served "British cheddar cheese pizza". Ew.

"Little Tavern" - D.C.-area White Castle-type chain.

Any others?

MJ

Sep 26, 2001, 6:45:30 PM9/26/01

KazamaSmokers wrote:

> Anyone remember Valle's, the steakhouse chain based out of Maine? They
> all went under in the early 1980's... but I remember seeing one in the
> Tampa area where they had simply reversed the lettering on the sign
> and re-opened under the name "Vella's".
>
> How about "Howdy Beef 'n' Burger"? They had a burger that was
> grotesquely large... something like a foot across. Really weird.

It was Howdy Beef Burgers - division of Dunkin Donuts. I don't recall
any large burgers, having worked at two locations during my college
years.

MJ

Sep 26, 2001, 6:50:58 PM9/26/01

KazamaSmokers wrote:

> Any others?

Newport Creamery is a distinct possibility. They're down to 12
locations after Robert Swain of FL and his wife started bleeding the
company dry (reportedly taking over $1.5M out for personal use in the
past 18 months).

Skip Elliott Bowman

Sep 26, 2001, 9:45:05 PM9/26/01
Howzabout Stuckey's, dotting the Midwest along the interstates for years?

"KazamaSmokers" <hunt...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

janed...@home.com

Sep 26, 2001, 9:55:57 PM9/26/01
How about Lum's (a hot dog restaurant with many types of hotdogs)?

Sambo's--that may be the Denny's of today.

Holly Moore

Sep 26, 2001, 11:13:55 PM9/26/01
Burger Chef, which General Foods used to own bought out and ran into the
ground.

There were two McDonald's start-ups that went under: Raymonds (Oak Street
Chicago and Rodeo Drive Beverly Hills) an upscale McDonald's named for Ray Kroc
who was always bothered that it was called McD's and not Krocs, and Jane
Dobbins named after one of Ray Kroc's wives which was renamed the Pie Tree
after the divorce.

Gino's Hamburger's in the Philadelphia - Baltimore - DC area and their sister
company Rustler Steak House.

The Dog House, a chain of Hot dog places in the Midwest.

Mariott's fast food operation the Hot Shoppes and Hot Shoppe Jr.s which I think
are now mostly Roy Rogers.

Dewey's here in Philadelphia - greatly missed.

Spud Nuts - Potato flour donuts

Shakee's Pizza, though there may be a few independents left.

That's enough for now.

Holly Moore
Holly Eats.Com
http://www.HollyEats.Com

The Queen

Sep 26, 2001, 11:30:44 PM9/26/01
AFAIK, we stay have Stuckey's.

--
Christina
~*~*~*~*~*The Queen~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Skip Elliott Bowman" <skip...@teleport.com> wrote in message
: Howzabout Stuckey's, dotting the Midwest along the interstates for years?

:
:

orwell

Sep 27, 2001, 12:12:09 AM9/27/01
In article <20010926231355...@mb-fb.aol.com>, hodd...@aol.com (Holly Moore) wrote:

>Mariott's fast food operation the Hot Shoppes and Hot Shoppe Jr.s which I think
>are now mostly Roy Rogers.

Which were all bought by McD's about 5 years ago. There are a few Roy Rogers
left in the DC area (and other places, I believe), but those are independently
owned and aren't going to undergo "the cleansing" of rest of the chain.

orwell

Steve

Sep 27, 2001, 2:14:41 AM9/27/01
>"Arthur Treacher's" - I think some still exist in the midwest - but
>most of the locations in New England became "Scooby's" for about a
>decade before they folded.

There are a couple in the Tampa Bay area. One in Sarasota
Square Mall

>"Abdow's Big Boy"

"Big Boy" as I remember has the franchise owner as the first name
of the store. As a very little kid back in Cleveland I remember a
Fricher's Big Boy, I'm talking around 1969 then nothing for a long
time (a Burger King opened up at Dover Center and Lorain Road, next to
the old Lums). At some time before I moved south a Bob's Big Boy
opened up in Cleveland, never gave it a try.

Anyone remember Bif Burger? I know there was atleast one in the
Columbus, Ohio area in the late 1960s (dejavu). There is only one
left: If you're in the Tampa Bay area (St. Pete) take I-275 to the
38th Ave. North exit. Go west to 49th Street and go North about 400
feet and take a right. Go if the weather is good, they have a nice
covered outside eating area with a beer and wine bar and great burgers
(taste before you add salt to anything).

---Steve
Steve Hall
Tampa Bay, Florida
jstev...@xspamxonebox.com
true email del xspamx

MJ

Sep 27, 2001, 7:55:09 AM9/27/01
Mr Donut. (How could anyone really lose money selling donuts in New
England?)

MareCat

Sep 27, 2001, 9:40:21 AM9/27/01
<janed...@home.com> wrote in message

> How about Lum's (a hot dog restaurant with many types of hotdogs)?

Hadn't thought of Lum's in years. We used to go to the one in Horseheads,
NY--not far from where I grew up in PA.

Mary
--
http://users.intertex.net/~pgorman/Mary/mareslair.htm

KazamaSmokers

Sep 27, 2001, 10:47:28 AM9/27/01
> Newport Creamery is a distinct possibility. They're down to 12
> locations after Robert Swain of FL and his wife started bleeding the
> company dry (reportedly taking over $1.5M out for personal use in the
> past 18 months).

Yes, Mrs. Swain appears to be the Imelda Marcos of Rhode Island...

Julian Kitchens

Sep 28, 2001, 4:56:39 AM9/28/01
There are still Shakee's all over California.

I remember a great cafeteria chain called "Morrison's".

There was a hotdog chain called "Pup and Taco" and another called
"Weinerking".

A hamburger outfit called "Jack's" not to be confused with Jack-In-The-Box.

Steak outfit called "Western Sizzlin" and another called "Bonanza".

Fried chicken outfits..."Minnie Pearl's", "Marshall Durbins", "Bojangles".

Richard Kaszeta

Sep 28, 2001, 8:54:40 AM9/28/01
"Julian Kitchens" <jdkit...@att.net> writes:

> I remember a great cafeteria chain called "Morrison's".

Still around in the Southeast. At least earlier this year I ate at
one in Athens, GA.

> Steak outfit called "Western Sizzlin" and another called "Bonanza".

Bonanza and Ponderosa merged in 1997, according to
www.ponderosasteakhouses.com.

> Fried chicken outfits..."Minnie Pearl's", "Marshall Durbins", "Bojangles".

Bojangles is also still kicking, at least in Kentucky and Beaufort,
SC.

Never heard of the others.

--
Richard W Kaszeta
ri...@kaszeta.org

Wormtown

Sep 28, 2001, 9:44:33 AM9/28/01
Is A&W still around anywhere?

What about Jack in the Box (wasn't that Rodney Allen Rippey's gig)?

Was Kemps a chain?

Richard Kaszeta

Sep 28, 2001, 9:58:05 AM9/28/01
ina...@aol.com (Wormtown) writes:
> Is A&W still around anywhere?

Yeah, I see them all the time in Canada. And they are still around
some places in the US. Iron River, Wisconsin, and Birmingham, AL, for
example.

> What about Jack in the Box (wasn't that Rodney Allen Rippey's gig)?

They are still all over the place in the Southwest.

> Was Kemps a chain?

The only Kemps I've known is an ice cream brand in the upper midwest.

obrie...@aol.com

Sep 28, 2001, 10:21:56 AM9/28/01
Anyone remember Winky's, a hamburger chain? -- little meat patties
with lots of chopped, cooked onions on top.

Richard Kaszeta

Sep 28, 2001, 10:31:24 AM9/28/01
obrie...@aol.com writes:

> Anyone remember Winky's, a hamburger chain? -- little meat patties
> with lots of chopped, cooked onions on top.

Didn't they finally belly up in the late 80s? I remember them as
Pittsburgh's version of a White Castle.

Bill Lindahl

Sep 28, 2001, 1:07:55 PM9/28/01
Wormtown wrote:

There is one in Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Ill, and while driving to
the Chicago area 4 years ago from Alaska found them everywhere coming
through western Canada including one city where there were stores on
each side of the road across from each other.

Interim Books

Sep 28, 2001, 2:37:48 PM9/28/01
On 28 Sep 2001 07:54:40 -0500, Richard Kaszeta <ri...@kaszeta.org>
wrote:

>"Julian Kitchens" <jdkit...@att.net> writes:
>> Fried chicken outfits..."Minnie Pearl's", "Marshall Durbins", "Bojangles".
>
>Bojangles is also still kicking, at least in Kentucky and Beaufort,
>SC.

Ditto for the Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem) area of
NC.

D.

-------
Visit our search engine! http://www.interimbooks.com/pagescout/
-------

Interim Books | 322 Pacific Ave | Bremerton, WA | 98337
fair...@hurricane.net | (360) 377-4343 | http://www.interimbooks.com/

Interim Books

Sep 28, 2001, 2:38:51 PM9/28/01
On 28 Sep 2001 06:44:33 -0700, ina...@aol.com (Wormtown) wrote:

>Is A&W still around anywhere?

One independent and several chain owned inside gas stations here in
the Bremerton area.

>What about Jack in the Box (wasn't that Rodney Allen Rippey's gig)?

Still around, at least four here.

Peach

Sep 28, 2001, 5:52:11 PM9/28/01
Of Course, we had on in Washington, Pa.

I think when they opened it was about 1964......(Guessing)......If memory
serves correct they had 5 hamburgers for a buck.....and the greatest burger
THE......"Big Wink".....close but better than a Big-Boy.

Only thing bad was that the rumors of cheap labor altering the food (use
your imagination) for people that bitched or people the cooks didn't
like......It was true, I knew a few of the employees....

But all in all it was the neatest thing to a kid growing up in the area!!!!

Wow, I wonder if any wrappers or advertisement exists.......time to go to
Ebay....

Joe

<obrie...@aol.com> wrote in message

Peach

Sep 28, 2001, 6:03:22 PM9/28/01
Nothing on ebay.......Dang.......

Joe

"Peach" <peaNO...@pulsNOSPAMenet.com> wrote in message

MJ

Sep 28, 2001, 6:41:38 PM9/28/01

> > Steak outfit called "Western Sizzlin" and another called "Bonanza".

I recall Sizzlin, Western Sizzlin and Western Steer. Never could keep
them apart. The think I kind of liked one and disliked the other two,
but was never really sure which one I was in.

MJ

Sep 28, 2001, 6:43:12 PM9/28/01

Wormtown wrote:

> Is A&W still around anywhere?

I've seen a few A&W's - They still have a good draft root beer.

> What about Jack in the Box (wasn't that Rodney Allen Rippey's gig)?
>
> Was Kemps a chain?

I recall Kemps, but don't recall when they disappeared. It was a
chain.

David Silberberg

Sep 28, 2001, 7:56:10 PM9/28/01
There were two that I remember here in Chicago:

Richard's Drive In Carfeteria, I think - pretty good "twinburgers", as
I recall.

Also, Henry's, a McDonald's clone.

Don't know if they were local or national....

orwell

Sep 29, 2001, 12:24:51 AM9/29/01

>Is A&W still around anywhere?

At least one in Maryland off of Rt 95 near Aberdeen.

Steve

Sep 29, 2001, 12:46:00 AM9/29/01
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:56:39 GMT, "Julian Kitchens"
<jdkit...@att.net> wrote:

>There are still Shakee's all over California.
>
>I remember a great cafeteria chain called "Morrison's".

Morrison's moved down south when all its customers got old... It
seems like there is one on every corner here in Tampa Bay... :)

>There was a hotdog chain called "Pup and Taco" and another called
>"Weinerking".
>
>A hamburger outfit called "Jack's" not to be confused with Jack-In-The-Box.
>
>Steak outfit called "Western Sizzlin" and another called "Bonanza".
>
>Fried chicken outfits..."Minnie Pearl's", "Marshall Durbins", "Bojangles".

Steve

KazamaSmokers

Sep 29, 2001, 8:28:08 AM9/29/01
I believe there is still a HoJo's in Nashua, NH.

What about Beefsteak Charlie's?

Snowfeet1

Sep 29, 2001, 12:30:35 PM9/29/01
A&Ws are located in many states - we see them all the time when we travel

MJ

Sep 29, 2001, 2:34:55 PM9/29/01

KazamaSmokers wrote:

> I believe there is still a HoJo's in Nashua, NH.

Stopped at a Hojo off I-81 in mid VA last year (Staunton?). They still
served about the best hot dog and milkshake I've found.

Norman

Sep 29, 2001, 2:00:33 PM9/29/01

Yup, I liked Roy Rogers, it had a little variety, burgers, chicken,
roast beef.

They closed 3 of them around the Peekskill, Fishkill & Wappinger Falls
area of NY.

I miss them, too bad.

Norman

Sep 29, 2001, 2:04:33 PM9/29/01
On 28 Sep 2001 06:44:33 -0700, ina...@aol.com (Wormtown) wrote:

>Is A&W still around anywhere?

They just opened a new one in Seligman, AZ off I40.
It's a convenience store and a gas station also.

Norman

Sep 29, 2001, 2:08:26 PM9/29/01
On 29 Sep 2001 05:28:08 -0700, hunt...@earthlink.net (KazamaSmokers)
wrote:

>I believe there is still a HoJo's in Nashua, NH.
>
>What about Beefsteak Charlie's?

Wasn't that a Beefsteak Charlie's that had a
restaurant with small tables (in Forest Hills, Queens, NY),
the waiters could hardly fit the food on the table?

If that's the same one, I felt very uncomfortable since
there was hardly any room to eat, but the food was
good.

William Tucker

Sep 29, 2001, 5:24:29 PM9/29/01

"MJ" <mja...@home.com> wrote in message news:3BB61498...@home.com...

I know it's off topic, but there's a good mom & pop German restaurant off
I-81 near (Staunton?) at exit 213 best I remember. We always try and time
our travel time so we can stop and eat there whenever we pass thru.

William

Peach

Sep 29, 2001, 5:42:04 PM9/29/01
Anyone remember the "Dog House" in South Western Pa? Was it elsewhere also?

Opened in the 60's.....had many different kinds of hot dogs....with cheese,
with bacon, very cool to a kid.

Joe

"KazamaSmokers" <hunt...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Anyone remember Valle's, the steakhouse chain based out of Maine? They
> all went under in the early 1980's... but I remember seeing one in the
> Tampa area where they had simply reversed the lettering on the sign
> and re-opened under the name "Vella's".
>
> How about "Howdy Beef 'n' Burger"? They had a burger that was
> grotesquely large... something like a foot across. Really weird.
>
> "Jim Dandy Chicken"? I think there may be one or two still around in
> the Northeast.
>
> "Arthur Treacher's" - I think some still exist in the midwest - but
> most of the locations in New England became "Scooby's" for about a
> decade before they folded.
>
> "Zum Zum" - it seemed like there was one on every corner in Manhattan
> in the 1070's...
>
> "Abdow's Big Boy" - now mostly Bickford's Pancake Houses.
>
> "Ruggle's" - they served "British cheddar cheese pizza". Ew.
>
> "Little Tavern" - D.C.-area White Castle-type chain.
>

> Any others?

Charles Demas

Sep 29, 2001, 5:52:48 PM9/29/01
In article <574b34e6.01092...@posting.google.com>,

KazamaSmokers <hunt...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I believe there is still a HoJo's in Nashua, NH.

I think there's still one in Wells, Maine on Rt. 1.

IIRC, it was privately owned, and not a franchise.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

Charles Demas

Sep 29, 2001, 5:56:57 PM9/29/01
In article <3bb64007$1...@athena.netset.com>,

Peach <peaNO...@pulsNOSPAMenet.com> wrote:
>Anyone remember the "Dog House" in South Western Pa? Was it elsewhere also?

IIRC, there was one in Springfield, Massachusetts but it is closed.

There may have been one on Rt. 1 in Norwood, Massachusetts, but
I'm not so sure about that one.

Otto Henry

Sep 30, 2001, 2:33:51 AM9/30/01

"Richard Kaszeta" <ri...@kaszeta.org> wrote in message

> ina...@aol.com (Wormtown) writes:
> > Is A&W still around anywhere?
>
> Yeah, I see them all the time in Canada. And they are still around
> some places in the US. Iron River, Wisconsin, and Birmingham, AL, for
> example.

There's quite a few in MI.....even a drive-in in Lexington, MI

scribex

Sep 30, 2001, 3:50:52 AM9/30/01
In article <bXWs7.11292$WW.1109117@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, jdkit...@att.net took time out of a
busy life to say ...

> There are still Shakee's all over California.
>
> I remember a great cafeteria chain called "Morrison's".

Still at least two in operation, in Jackson, Miss.

scribex

scribex

Sep 30, 2001, 3:59:03 AM9/30/01
In article <167e21f4.01092...@posting.google.com>,
ina...@aol.com took time out of a busy life to say ...

> Is A&W still around anywhere?
>
> What about Jack in the Box (wasn't that Rodney Allen Rippey's gig)?

A&W and Jack in the Box are both operating locations in the
Northwest.

The A&W in my location, visited shortly after it opened a couple of
years ago, was a disappointment. Food and drinks were mediocre and
there was an overwhelming cheapness about the place. By comparison,
the McDonald's experience is a gourmet adventure in deluxe
surroundings.

Jack in the Box has some OK items and their places are average. I
give the outfit hanging-in-there points for having survived the E-
coli debacle of a few years ago.

scribex

scribex

scribex

Sep 30, 2001, 4:07:04 AM9/30/01
In article <574b34e6.01092...@posting.google.com>,
hunt...@earthlink.net took time out of a busy life to say ...

(bite)

> Any others?

In NW, Rax, a kind of nice salad bar FF place that opened in the
early to mid-1980s, as I recall. It later became a more of a hot
meal food bar/salad bar type place -- and then shut down.

Church's Chicken also comes to mind.

scribex

Richard Kaszeta

Sep 30, 2001, 9:20:41 PM9/30/01
scrib...@excite.com (scribex) writes:
> In NW, Rax, a kind of nice salad bar FF place that opened in the
> early to mid-1980s, as I recall. It later became a more of a hot
> meal food bar/salad bar type place -- and then shut down.
>
> Church's Chicken also comes to mind.

Both are alive and well in some parts. At least earlier this year
Roseville, MN had a Rax.

And Church's Chicken is seen in much of the US. In Mesa, AZ and
Houston, TX, I saw Church's that were combination Churchs/White Castles.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 30, 2001, 9:18:51 PM9/30/01
Wormtown <ina...@aol.com> wrote:
> Is A&W still around anywhere?

Yup. There are a few A&W outlets in NJ.

> What about Jack in the Box (wasn't that Rodney Allen Rippey's gig)?

Jack in the Box is still a thriving chain in California.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 30, 2001, 9:16:25 PM9/30/01
Holly Moore <hodd...@aol.com> wrote:

> Mariott's fast food operation the Hot Shoppes and Hot Shoppe Jr.s which I
> think are now mostly Roy Rogers.

Roy Rogers was bought out by Boston Market, who was bought out by
McDonalds. The only Roy Rogers I ever see these days are in Pennsylvania
Turnpike rest stops.

> Dewey's here in Philadelphia - greatly missed.

I am a life long (40 yrs) Philadlephian, but I never heard of Dewey's.
Speaking of long lost Philly restaunt chains, what about Littons? They
still have Littons baked beans and pudding sold in some grocery stores,
but no more Littons cafetarias.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 30, 2001, 9:20:10 PM9/30/01
KazamaSmokers <hunt...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I believe there is still a HoJo's in Nashua, NH.

> What about Beefsteak Charlie's?

I seem to recall that there used to be a Beefsteak Charlies in NYC
in the Empire State Building, but its now a Hullihan's.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 30, 2001, 9:11:42 PM9/30/01
KazamaSmokers <hunt...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Anyone remember Valle's, the steakhouse chain based out of Maine? They
> all went under in the early 1980's... but I remember seeing one in the
> Tampa area where they had simply reversed the lettering on the sign
> and re-opened under the name "Vella's".

Yes, but I was not aware that Valle's was a chain. They used to have a
restaurant near where I grew up in Philly. My parents would sometimes take
my sister and me there for Sunday dinner as a treat.

> How about "Howdy Beef 'n' Burger"? They had a burger that was
> grotesquely large... something like a foot across. Really weird.

Never heard of "Howdy Beef 'n' Burger". What about Gino's, the home of the
sirloiner burger and the original home of Kentucky Fried Chicken?

> "Arthur Treacher's" - I think some still exist in the midwest - but
> most of the locations in New England became "Scooby's" for about a
> decade before they folded.

Arthur Treacher's is owned by the same people who own the Nathan's Hot
Dogs and Kenny Rogers chains. Their modus oporandi seems to be to close
restaurants. There's still an Arthur Treacher's in the Gallery in Center
City Philadelphia ... or at least there was the last time I was there
about two months ago. An Arthur Treachers was recently closed in the Cherry
Hill Mall food court, but now, the Nathan's Hot Dogs outlet in the
Moorestown Mall food court now has a limited Arthur Treacher's menu.

Holly Moore

Sep 30, 2001, 10:12:59 PM9/30/01
> I am a life long (40 yrs) Philadlephian, but I
> never heard of Dewey's.

Some hot dog and milk shake shops that got urban renewalized into oblivion. I
was a regular at the 17th and Market Deweys.

Re Extinct Chains -

I forgot the place where I had my first job, pushing burgers - Wetson's, a New
York attempt at McD's.

Holly Moore
HollyEats.Com
http://www.hollyeats.com
http://www.egullet.com

MareCat

Oct 1, 2001, 12:14:59 AM10/1/01
<st...@temple.edu> wrote in message news:9p8g9r$q5h$5...@cronkite.temple.edu...

Actually, JitB is all over the southwest. Houston has a zillion locations.

Mary
--
http://users.intertex.net/~pgorman/Mary/mareslair.htm

MareCat

Oct 1, 2001, 12:17:30 AM10/1/01

> And Church's Chicken is seen in much of the US. In Mesa, AZ and
> Houston, TX, I saw Church's that were combination Churchs/White Castles.
>
> --

Houston has lots of Church's, but no White Castles. WC is just in the
northeast and midwest, AFAIK.

Mary
--
http://users.intertex.net/~pgorman/Mary/mareslair.htm

Charles Demas

Oct 1, 2001, 12:30:06 AM10/1/01
In article <9p8fse$q5h$3...@cronkite.temple.edu>, <st...@temple.edu> wrote:
>KazamaSmokers <hunt...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Anyone remember Valle's, the steakhouse chain based out of Maine? They
>> all went under in the early 1980's... but I remember seeing one in the
>> Tampa area where they had simply reversed the lettering on the sign
>> and re-opened under the name "Vella's".
>
>Yes, but I was not aware that Valle's was a chain. They used to have a
>restaurant near where I grew up in Philly. My parents would sometimes take
>my sister and me there for Sunday dinner as a treat.

There was a Valle's on the Maine/NH border, on the NH side, IIRC,
and then they expanded and opened one in Springfield, Mass and
another in Braintree, Mass. As I recall, these got sold to
Hilltop Steakhouse when they expanded. Hilltop is now back to
the original ownership and one site in Saugus, Mass.

The Valle's in that Maine/NH location on Rt. 1 was there at least
40 years ago.

RazorJAK, the Once & Future Crankygoth

Oct 1, 2001, 4:24:55 AM10/1/01
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 06:33:51 GMT, "Otto Henry" <gabb...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>"Richard Kaszeta" <ri...@kaszeta.org> wrote in message
>> ina...@aol.com (Wormtown) writes:
>> > Is A&W still around anywhere?
>>
>> Yeah, I see them all the time in Canada. And they are still around
>> some places in the US. Iron River, Wisconsin, and Birmingham, AL, for
>> example.
>
>There's quite a few in MI.....even a drive-in in Lexington, MI

And also one in Frankfort, MI ... for the longest time it was the
ONLY fast food place within reasonable driving distance. Mid 90s had
BK and McD's showing their ugly heads in the county though.

RazorJAK
--
Gun bans work! Just look how safe New York City is!

Richard Kaszeta

Oct 1, 2001, 8:05:56 AM10/1/01
"MareCat" <mgo...@intertex.net> writes:
> Houston has lots of Church's, but no White Castles. WC is just in the
> northeast and midwest, AFAIK.

My apologies, the combo ones were in the Detroit area (after a
gazillion interviewing trips this last winter and spring, sometimes
things run together). But Church's are definitely in Arizona and
Texas.

Puester

Oct 4, 2001, 11:06:05 PM10/4/01
KazamaSmokers wrote:

> Anyone remember Valle's, the steakhouse chain based out of Maine? They
> all went under in the early 1980's... but I remember seeing one in the
> Tampa area where they had simply reversed the lettering on the sign
> and re-opened under the name "Vella's".

I thought their flagship/original restaurant was in Newton, MA.
I remember going to the one in Hartford, CT when we were broke
with lots of other newlywed friends on twin lobster nights. A full
meal for ~$8.00 IIRC, and the lobsters were quite good. (There
really WERE some "good old days".)

gloria p

KazamaSmokers

Oct 5, 2001, 2:40:51 PM10/5/01
Hartford? Hartford was the home base of the late not-lamented "Mister
Steak" chain, wasn't it?

Puester

Oct 5, 2001, 5:31:43 PM10/5/01

Not as far as I know, when we lived there in the late 60's.

gloria p

Dan Warren

Oct 7, 2001, 9:41:52 PM10/7/01
In article <9p8fse$q5h$3...@cronkite.temple.edu>, st...@temple.edu wrote:

>Yes, but I was not aware that Valle's was a chain. They used to have a
>restaurant near where I grew up in Philly. My parents would sometimes take
>my sister and me there for Sunday dinner as a treat.

We had Valles here in Rochester NY and I we used to stop at the one in Albany
NY on the way back from skiing in VT when I was going to UB.

Who could forget Lum's with the beer steamed hot dogs and Schooners of beer.

There used to be a fast food seafood chain that had a number of outlets here
in upstate NY. Long John Silver's if I remember correctly.

Then there was Caroll's, another NY hamburger chain. Most of them were
converted to BK's.

Growing up in South Jersey in the late 50's we had Gino Marcetti's which was
similar to MacDonald's.

_
(_) Daniel Warren, RPh
_______// Marion NY
(________)
| | dwar...@rochester.rr.com
| Rx |
|______|
(________)

Dan Warren

Oct 7, 2001, 9:43:15 PM10/7/01
In article <20010930221259...@mb-ci.aol.com>, hodd...@aol.com (Holly Moore) wrote:
>> I am a life long (40 yrs) Philadlephian, but I
>> never heard of Dewey's.
>
>Some hot dog and milk shake shops that got urban renewalized into oblivion. I
>was a regular at the 17th and Market Deweys.
>
>Re Extinct Chains -
>
>I forgot the place where I had my first job, pushing burgers - Wetson's, a New
>York attempt at McD's.

Not a chain, but for you south Jersy people, do you remember Millside Farms on
130?

Bill Lindahl

Oct 8, 2001, 1:20:18 AM10/8/01
Dan Warren wrote:

...There used to be a fast food seafood chain that had a number of outlets here

in upstate NY. Long John Silver's if I remember correctly.

           _

          (_)  Daniel Warren, RPh
   _______//    Marion NY
  (________)
   |      |     dwar...@rochester.rr.com
   | Rx   |
   |______|
  (________)

We still have a few of them in the Chicago area.

st...@temple.edu

Oct 8, 2001, 2:42:09 PM10/8/01
Dan Warren <dwarren...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Not a chain, but for you south Jersy people, do you remember Millside
> Farms on 130?

I live a brief walk from Route 130, but I do not remember Millside
Farms. Than again, I have only been living in NJ for about six years.

Dan Warren

Oct 8, 2001, 9:34:12 PM10/8/01
I was located in Bulington County north of Cinnaminson. There used to be a
small shopping center with the same name across the road from where Millside
Farms used to be.

Millside Farms was a working dairy farm that had a resturant associated with
it that specilaized in dairy items, ie milk shakes, ice cream etc.

This was back in the 1950's early 60's.

MareCat

Oct 16, 2001, 9:47:08 AM10/16/01
"Bill Lindahl" <survi...@home.com> wrote in message

We still have them in Houston also.

Mary

st...@temple.edu

Oct 16, 2001, 4:32:24 PM10/16/01
MareCat <mgo...@intertex.net> wrote:

> We still have them in Houston also.

There used to be two or three Long John Silver's fast
food seafood joints in the Philadelphia area. They have
long since closed. Their food brought new meaning to
the phrase "dog food" so its no wonder they closed up
in this area.

Peach

Oct 16, 2001, 6:03:39 PM10/16/01
> There used to be two or three Long John Silver's fast
> food seafood joints in the Philadelphia area. They have
> long since closed. Their food brought new meaning to
> the phrase "dog food" so its no wonder they closed up
> in this area.

Oh come on! How many places can you go that if you squeeze the fish &
chicken before you eat it....You can lubricate your car & your
bowels..........????

Joe

st...@temple.edu

Oct 18, 2001, 3:09:08 PM10/18/01
Peach <peaNO...@pulsnospamenet.com> wrote:

> Oh come on! How many places can you go that if you squeeze the fish &
> chicken before you eat it....You can lubricate your car & your
> bowels..........????

KFC, for chicken!

Peach

Oct 18, 2001, 5:06:19 PM10/18/01
You know what the saddest thing is?

Every once in a while.......every few years.....I get a craving for LJS or
KFC............Must be all the media blitz..

Joe

susie

Oct 21, 2001, 12:45:06 PM10/21/01
The best Pizza I've ever had in my life was in Oklahoma City at a place
called Mi Pi.

They had chains in Tulsa, but I'm not sure it was national. They closed down
in the mid 80's, and I have searched for them ever since, and never had
pizza that good again.

Their pizza was pan cooked, and although I don't like pan pizza, this was
unique, with a unique flavor, and if I remember right, it was juicy with
tomatoes floating on top.

sd

David & Julie Crupi

Nov 1, 2001, 10:58:26 PM11/1/01
Another extinct chain is Dog N Suds. A root beer stand concept with Drive-
In only There used to be a lot of them in Wisconsin and Illinois. I heard
there might be one or two started up in Ohio. Anyone know for sure ? Or
does anyone know of any others in another place ?

"MareCat" <mgo...@intertex.net> wrote in message

Bill Lindahl

Nov 2, 2001, 3:22:09 AM11/2/01

I believe somewhere in this thread they are listed. The one I always visit is
in the little town of Richmond, Il at the Il/WI border on RT 12 on my way up
to Lake Geneva, WI (still there as far as I know although it is not listed on
their websight). Indiana has many of them. Check their address at
gttp:/www.dognsuds.net/dognsuds.html.

Bill Lindahl

Nov 2, 2001, 3:25:55 AM11/2/01
Bill Lindahl wrote:

Oops! That should be http:/www.dognsuds.net/dognsuds.html.

Richard Kaszeta

Nov 2, 2001, 8:43:17 AM11/2/01
"David & Julie Crupi" <djc...@citizens-tel.net> writes:

> Another extinct chain is Dog N Suds. A root beer stand concept with Drive-
> In only There used to be a lot of them in Wisconsin and Illinois. I heard
> there might be one or two started up in Ohio. Anyone know for sure ? Or
> does anyone know of any others in another place ?

There's still one or two of them in MI (I know Montague has one), and
when I'm in that part of the country I've seen their root beer in
bottles at convenience stores. We used to call them the "Arf and Barf".

d...@wizard.com

Dec 2, 2001, 10:10:53 PM12/2/01

Had a Dog N Suds where I grew up in Indiana. You could go in and sit
at this one and play with those little record players at each table!!
Don

John Vega

Dec 7, 2001, 3:34:54 PM12/7/01

> >Another extinct chain is Dog N Suds. A root beer stand concept with
> >Drive-
> >In only There used to be a lot of them in Wisconsin and Illinois. I
> >heard
> >there might be one or two started up in Ohio. Anyone know for sure ?
> >Or
> >does anyone know of any others in another place ?

Dog n Suds in Naples, Fl in the 60s and early 70s. we would go there
after a victorious soccer game for milkshakes.

-John

David & Julie Crupi

Dec 9, 2001, 11:22:53 PM12/9/01
We always loved the Coney Dogs. They were the best !!
Dave
"John Vega" <zebul...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Joan <>

Jan 14, 2002, 7:34:36 PM1/14/02
There is still a Long John Silver's Fish & More Restaurant here in the
Fort Pierce Florida area. Don't know how many in Florida, but this
one is still open, as of last night when I drove by anyway. I won't
It used to be my favorite seafood restaurant, until they took over.

Joan <>

Nazodesu

Jan 14, 2002, 7:47:12 PM1/14/02
In article <3c437a5b...@news1.news.adelphia.net>, Joan <>
<fli...@adelphia.net> wrote:

> I won't go back in because of the management, it leaves a lot to be
> desired. It used to be my favorite seafood restaurant, until they
> took over.

What "seafood restaurant" do you frequent in its absence?

Joan <>

Jan 15, 2002, 1:07:22 AM1/15/02
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 00:47:12 GMT, Nazodesu <222...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

There is a good place in Okeechobee, can't remember the name of it,
it's so far away, I don't go often. But it is good, will have to make
a trip there some weekend & get back with you. I used to go the the
Island Reef on A1A in Jensen Beach, but it's been closed for years, a
good one to go to is Red Lobster on Okeechobee, if you can't find
anything else. I haven't really run across anything in the Fort
Pierce/Port St. Lucie area lately, any suggestions? Long John
Silver's is OK when your in a hurry, I guess, but really haven't found
a nice place in a while.
Joan <>

st...@temple.edu

Jan 15, 2002, 9:31:47 AM1/15/02
Joan <> <fli...@adelphia.net> wrote:

> There is a good place in Okeechobee, can't remember the name of it,
> it's so far away, I don't go often. But it is good, will have to make
> a trip there some weekend & get back with you. I used to go the the
> Island Reef on A1A in Jensen Beach, but it's been closed for years, a
> good one to go to is Red Lobster on Okeechobee, if you can't find
> anything else. I haven't really run across anything in the Fort
> Pierce/Port St. Lucie area lately, any suggestions? Long John
> Silver's is OK when your in a hurry, I guess, but really haven't found
> a nice place in a while.

Strange. As I recall, you said you live in Fort Pierce? Right? Why bother
with seafood chains when you can do so much better in that area? Its been
a while since that last time I visited my relatives who live in Fort
Pierce, but as I recall, there was no shortage of locally owned seafood
restaurants in the area around Vero Beach.

Nazodesu

Jan 15, 2002, 11:30:45 AM1/15/02
In article <a21egj$cv4$1...@cronkite.temple.edu>, <st...@temple.edu> wrote:

> Strange. As I recall, you said you live in Fort Pierce? Right? Why bother
> with seafood chains when you can do so much better in that area? Its been
> a while since that last time I visited my relatives who live in Fort
> Pierce, but as I recall, there was no shortage of locally owned seafood
> restaurants in the area around Vero Beach.

What do we do with the rolaids then?

Joan <>

Jan 15, 2002, 8:28:36 PM1/15/02
It must have been quite a while ago since you've been to Fort Pierce.
The town is dying, everything is moving out, there isn't even a
shopping mall there anymore. Thanks to the local officials, they are
driving everything out, including Sam's Wholesale, that said when they
stated they were thinking of leaving the area because they had no room
to expand. The wonderful mayor said that was OK, they could live with
or without Sam's, so we in Port St. Lucie gave them a good deal, where
they will be able to move to and have room to expand in the future.
And no, I didn't say I lived in Fort Pierce, I said that Long John
Silver's was there, but also mentioned other restaurants in other
areas as well. Its been a long times since I've had time to go to
Hutchenson Island, but Mangrove Matties was also good, don't know if
they are still around or not.
Now, I will repeat my question, any suggestions on a nice seafood
place to go to? Like you pointed out, it doesn't have to be a chain,
its just thats its handy, don't always have time to run all over
looking for a local place, when I know of something close by just as
good. You are right about Vero Beach, they do have some excellant
seafood restaurants, but they are too far for a quick evening out.

susan.m...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2014, 9:07:46 PM4/2/14
On Wednesday, September 26, 2001 6:06:03 PM UTC-4, KazamaSmokers wrote:
> Anyone remember Valle's, the steakhouse chain based out of Maine? They
> all went under in the early 1980's... but I remember seeing one in the
> Tampa area where they had simply reversed the lettering on the sign
> and re-opened under the name "Vella's".
>
> How about "Howdy Beef 'n' Burger"? They had a burger that was
> grotesquely large... something like a foot across. Really weird.
>
> "Jim Dandy Chicken"? I think there may be one or two still around in
> the Northeast.
>
> "Arthur Treacher's" - I think some still exist in the midwest - but
> most of the locations in New England became "Scooby's" for about a
> decade before they folded.
>
> "Zum Zum" - it seemed like there was one on every corner in Manhattan
> in the 1070's...
>
> "Abdow's Big Boy" - now mostly Bickford's Pancake Houses.
>
> "Ruggle's" - they served "British cheddar cheese pizza". Ew.
>
> "Little Tavern" - D.C.-area White Castle-type chain.
>

> Any others?

wayne.c....@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2014, 9:14:28 PM4/2/14
I worked at Howdy's on Main Street in Bangor, ME during the mid 70's. The "Big One" was about 4" across-but still only 1/4 lb.! The meat was very thin but it had lettuce, tomato, pickles, real onion, etc. so it seemed HUGE! We steamed our buns for our fish fillet, and we had chicken and haddock dinners as well. No drive-thru, and we did, in fact, share a parking lot with a Dunkin Donut shop.

62mc...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2016, 2:55:44 AM11/18/16
The original Vallee's was at Woodfords corner in Portland Me. It moved to Brighton ave. near Portland / Westbrook line I'm guessing in the 60's. This was the last location. It closed in the late 90's. There was one in Kittery Me. Best restaurant I've ever been to.

There was a Howdy's in Falmouth Me. on rt. 1. The building is still there, it was most recently Pratt Abbott dry cleaners.
I only remember getting hot dogs there. I remember they wore cowboy hats a greeted you with "Howdy". Wasn't there long, maybe couple years. Very early 70s.

We also had a York Steak House in the Maine Mall. It was owned by General Mills. It was cafeteria style. It was extremely popular for years. It switched to a buffet style. Only lasted a couple years after that.

jimsawh...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2019, 12:20:26 AM11/2/19
Valle's Steakhouse in Harford is now the USS Chowderpot… Abdow's had an outlet in Vernon, Connecticut, which is now IIRC a 99 Restaurant. Howdy's was on Main Street in East Hartford next to the Coke Bottling Plant. I believe it is empty after D'Angelo's left.