Chicago restaurants

Rebecca M Hendrick

Mar 8, 1991, 1:46:00 PM3/8/91
I go to Chicago about once every six months and can't seem to
pull myself away from old favorites. The Chicago magazine's
reviews are too short to be really useful (except for their in-depth
reviews).

Anybody got any favorite Windy-city diners- especially ethnic ones.

Hayden Schultz

Mar 8, 1991, 3:22:45 PM3/8/91

For really good greek food, try The Greek Islands. I haven`t find a
greek restaurant nearly that good on the east coast. You'd think that
with a greek governor for all those years that Boston would have good
greek restaurants.

Hayden Schultz (hay...@juliet.ll.mit.edu)

News

Mar 10, 1991, 6:24:25 PM3/10/91
would like to repay them by sending them a gift certificate to a nice
restaurant. We collected $130 among our team for the two of them. Can
I get some recommendations to match this price range?
Thanks.
From: he...@bu-bio.bu.edu (Doug Hersh)

Michael Mahler

Mar 11, 1991, 3:07:01 PM3/11/91

Nothing beats a prime rib dinner at Lawry's...

--

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Michael Mahler - Stratus Computer

William Tsun-Yuk Hsu

Mar 11, 1991, 5:41:31 PM3/11/91
be...@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Rebecca M Hendrick) writes:

>I go to Chicago about once every six months and can't seem to
>pull myself away from old favorites.

The original request was for "diners --- especially ethnic ones"
and I'm not exactly sure what you mean. But here are some suggestions.
Most are within a 10-block area where you'll also find a lot of the
better (non-yuppie) clubs, record and book stores etc. Diner-like places:

Ann Sather on Belmont and Clark is a good Swedish place with a diverse
menu and good bread.

The Melrose on Broadway and School has some neat omelettes and other
good dishes. The Melrose on Belmont has the same menu, but the
management is really surly and the service is bad.

There's a good burger place on the corner of Belmont and Sheffield.
Try the guacamole and cheese fries.

Ethnic places:

Moti Mahal on Belmont close to Seminary is a very reasonably priced
Indian restaurant. The weekend buffets are cheap and excellent.

The Bangkok on Halstead just south of Addison is the best Thai place
I've been to in Chicago. Prices are slightly above average but the
cooking is always excellent. Sunday buffets are a tiny bit pricey,
but they're really *feasts*.

Mama Desta's on Halstead just north of Belmont for Ethiopian.

Most of the northside Mexican places are good but not very exciting.
When I want brains and tongue with my guacamole, I have to go down
to Wicker Park to the grungy Mexican places around Division and
Milwaukee.

Bill