Wish I'd done better last year.

Drew Lawson

Mar 13, 2020, 5:58:08 PM3/13/20
So, the COVID-19 restrictions, and associated panic shopping, have
hit Ohio as of yesterday afternoon, when the Governor announced
school closures.

I sort of saw it coming, but thought it would take longer, expecting
2-3 weeks. So I only started slow over-shopping this last Sunday.

The store-bought pantry is okay, enough. The freezers (2 fridges
& 1 small chest) are obscenely (by world standards) full.

But the canned pantry is a case of seedy green beans, some dried
basil, ~3 quart cases of pasta sauce, and 2 jars of precious
garlic-dill pickle relish.

We'll be okay in-house for a couple weeks. And with expected
short-term supply restocks, should be okay longrer term (guessing)

Given my backlog on canned pasta sauce, I'd planned on a small
tomato planting (just for eating) this year. I'm strongly reconsidering
that. And potting tomato seeds this weekend.

I grew up in times of (from my perspective) pleanty (late '60s,
early '70s), but was raised by Depression Babies. I long thought
that my "that might be useful sometime" urges were disfunctional
leftovers from all that.

This week may have shifted that view. But no doubt my grand-kids
won't get it. Until they have to.

Alas, you can't home grow toilet paper.

--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
| | you're part of the precipitate. |

songbird

Mar 13, 2020, 11:14:12 PM3/13/20
Drew Lawson wrote:
> Alas, you can't home grow toilet paper.

mullein and comfrey are pretty nice. :)
dirt, leaves, grass, all will do if you must
do do.

songbird