Leftovers from making jelly?

J Wilson

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Any ideas on what to do with the 'pulp' that is left over after you strain
the juice out for jelly?

J Wilson

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Please respond to cta...@pacificcoast.net if replying that way
J Wilson <@pacificcoast.net> wrote in message
<35933...@news.pacificcoast.net>...

pickle@teleport.com ma pickle

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

J Wilson <@pacificcoast.net> wrote in message
<35933...@news.pacificcoast.net>...
>Any ideas on what to do with the 'pulp' that is left over after you strain
>the juice out for jelly?

I've thrown my blackberry pulp in the dehydrator then used it to make
blackberry tea.

Usually I compost the pulp.

Ingrid
http://www.mapickle.com

Mlowe99

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

>Any ideas on what to do with the 'pulp' that is left over after you strain
>the juice out for jelly?

I put it in a plastic zipper bag I keep in the freezer, which also has such
goodies as a bit of bacon grease, fat trimmings, and anything else the critters
might like to eat. When I have a bag or two and its winter, I put it all in a
dutch oven, cook it down, mix in bird seed, and make "suet cakes" for the
birds, which I freeze. I pop them out of the breezer containers, wrap in foil,
and store outside in the birdseed can. The birds and squirrels love it! One
thing, though -- it does not smell particularly pleasant when cooking, so don't
do this when you're expecting guests!

D. Landrum

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

I used some strawberry and blackberry pulp to make wine last year and it
turned out a very light tasting wine. I was pleased with the results.

Donna

--
D. Landrum
lan...@netpathway.com

J Wilson <@pacificcoast.net> wrote in message
<35933...@news.pacificcoast.net>...

mc...@telxon.com

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

We use the grape pulp left from making grape juice and jelly to make grape
butter. We run the pulp through a food mill to separate out the skins and
seeds and cook down the separated pulp in the same way that we make apple
butter.

The remaining seed, skins, and pulp that didn't separate can be fed to poultry
or livestock, or it can be left out for deer. Deer absolutely love the stuff.

Our vineyard produced 6000 lbs of grapes last year, so we had pulp left by the
bucketful.

Michael Courtney

mc...@telxon.com

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

Another thing we've done with pulp (after separating from seeds and skins
with a food mill) is to make fruit leather (like fruit roll-ups). Spread the
pulp into a layer on waxed paper and put into a dehydrator. You can add
sugar to the pulp if you want.

Kimberly R Smith

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

This sounds like a good idea. Would you (or anyone else) mind posting
some recipes?

-Kim

lew matt

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

It works the other way around too. You can make jelly or jam out of
leftover seedless pulp from which you made wine. I use the golden rasins
from my apple cider wine to make an apple-rasin jam. Yummy!

Lew
--
White Buck Farm <white.b...@usa.net>
Sustainable agriculture with your support.

Kimberly R Smith <ki...@mdhost.cse.tek.com> wrote in article
<359A6759...@mdhost.cse.tek.com>...

Diane Holycross

Oct 22, 2020, 2:18:17 PM10/22/20
I actually use the pulp when I make my grape jam; not jelly. First, a crush the grapes and cook them down as you would for extracting the grape juice for jelly, then I run what is left; the grape, including the seeds through a food mill. It's the same one that I use to make my tomato sauce.
I prefer the jam over jelly. It's opaque and has a nice texture and is more nutritious. It also contains more fiber. The best part is you will get double the amount for preserving; more jars can be filled. Also, you will only need to use the low-sugar pectin because you are extracting more sugar content.