Where can I find plans for an old outside bread oven (beehive)

Alan Boles

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
Hi there
where can I find plans for different styles (or at least one) of outside
brick or clay bread style ovens?
I'd like to think about building one...(if I can talk the wifey into
it).

piers_t...@my-deja.com

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
In article <ELXb3.3149$26.1...@typhoon.mbnet.mb.ca>,

I've already posted details of two different books with such plans to
rec.food.cooking so I won't repeat them here unless anyone else is
interested.

Piers

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Cheryl Y Frederick

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
sunset magazine had plans in one of their issues earlier this year for a
backyard adobe oven. it looked really great! you could probably search
for their website and get the instructions somehow from there.

oh, to not be an apartment dweller. sigh . . .

cheryl

Alan Boles <agb...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<ELXb3.3149$26.1...@typhoon.mbnet.mb.ca>...

N/V/S Fazakerley

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
In article <ELXb3.3149$26.1...@typhoon.mbnet.mb.ca>, "Alan Boles"
<agb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there
> where can I find plans for different styles (or at least one) of outside
> brick or clay bread style ovens?
> I'd like to think about building one...(if I can talk the wifey into
> it).

I'd suggest Building a Wood-Fired Oven for Bread and Pizza by Tom Jaine,
Prospect Books, ISBN 090732570.

It has a lot of history about ovens, but to build one you probably need to
know what you are doing.

Vibeke

NEIL FAZAKERLEY f a z @ a r g o n e t . c o . uk

Charlie Sorsby

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
In article <ELXb3.3149$26.1...@typhoon.mbnet.mb.ca>,
Alan Boles <agb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
= Hi there
= where can I find plans for different styles (or at least one) of outside
= brick or clay bread style ovens?
= I'd like to think about building one...(if I can talk the wifey into
= it).

These are still in common use in the indian pueblos in New Mexico
where they are called hornos (pronounced "Ornos"). In New Mexico,
they are made of adobe (mud bricks). One of my cookbooks has plans
in the back but, unfortunately, nearly all of them are in storage
and, so, I can't check for a precise citation.

The best I can say right now is that the title will likely include
the phrase "New Mexican Cooking" (not "Mexican Cooking") or words
to that effect. My recollection is that it was a smallish (less
than half an inch thick) paperback.

Other possible sources of such info are _Sunset_ magazine which
seems to have a lot of information about southwestern living (or it
used to), _New Mexico_ magazine, etc.

If you don't find what you're looking for, let me know (my e-mail
address is valid and Reply-to: is correctly set) and, next time I'm
in a good books store (I'm in New Mexico now) I'll flip through
some of the local cook books to see if I can find it to provide a
better citation.

(I've always wanted to build one also.... :)

--
Best regards,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby Wheeling, WV "I'm the NRA!"
c...@hgo.net www.hgo.net/~crs USA Life Member since 1965

Joseph M. Carlin

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
There are two books I recommend: "The Bread Ovens of Quebec" by Lise Boily
and Jean-Francois Blanchette. This book provides details and illustrations
on the actual building of a clay oven. It was published by the National
Museums of Canada in 1979, 119 pp. paper. $8.95 The second book is
"Building A Wood-Fired Oven for Bread and Pizza" by Tom Jaine, Prospect
Books, 160 pp. 1996. Paper. $20.00. This book tells how to build a outdoor
brick oven from scratch, with working drawings; and how to restore an
existing oven if your house is so lucky to possess one. I have both books
in stock.

Joe Carlin
Food Heritage Press
http://www.foodbooks.com

Alan Boles wrote:

> Hi there

> where can I find plans for different styles (or at least one) of outside

> brick or clay bread style ovens?

> I'd like to think about building one...(if I can talk the wifey into

> it).

Barrie Mather

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99
to Alan Boles

Alan Boles wrote:

> Hi there
> where can I find plans for different styles (or at least one) of outside
> brick or clay bread style ovens?
> I'd like to think about building one...(if I can talk the wifey into
> it).

A different resource might help you. Do you know any first generation Greek
or Italian migrants? As far as i can make out, they nearly all know how to
make beehive ovens. The difficult bit is making the sand core which holds
the oven as you build it - this bit would, I think, be difficult to
construct using only a written description, even with pictures.
Barrie Mather

MPAcord

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99

There are plans available through Sunset magazine for an outside bread
oven. Try: <http://www.sunsetmagazine.com/>
Mike Acord

Librarian

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
For actual photos and a description of building, firing, and baking in
a experimental beehive oven, Try my rather lo-tech pages at
http://members.tripod.com/~AoifeFinn/oven.html

The oven we used was a real peach! When we next build an oven at that
site, the large pot will not be used. It was a hindrance and thenatural
fieldstone was perfect for the job.

I have built a beehive oven out of normal brick, but had to keep opening
it to add coals. So I wouldn't reccomend it. A nice lady named Alia Atlas
reccomended I try a huge flower pot when I was first casting around for
beehive inspiration, and it did "sorta" work, though it's not terribly
historical and the pot develops fatal cracks. It reminded me of the old
irish method of inverting a large pot over a griddle to bake over the
fire (whic, btw, works really well). I understand the regia anglorum
website (if still out there somewhere) has a great cross-cut diagram of a
beehive but little direction for building one.

Additionally, I have made an oven out of round-ish stone, mud, and turf,
and it worked fairly well though the turf wanted to catch fire
occaisionally. Wetting it down to muddy it worked well. This one lost a
lot of heat, because we were unable to generate enough heat to make the
the walls the 6-8 inches thick with mud and/or clay. Again, coals were
added to the interior after firing to maintain the heat until the bread
was baked.

I have seen a 'beehive' made from chicken wire stretched in a half circle
to make a tunnel and covered with mud and turf. This oven was on a
'flatbed' trailer for portability, raised on a platform of brick and
firebrick. It worked well but did not look historical. But the bread it
produced was good enough to sell.

I will assume your fire-baking techniques have progressed above the
dutch-oven level or buried pot level, and you don't need descriptions of
those. However, you may want to check out The Domostroi, and/or Bread and
Salt which are a Russian household book and a History of food in Russai,
respectively, that describes home ovens that are probably medieval since
russian cuisine technology lagged behind europe's for quite some time .
These chimney-less ovens are made of clay or mud, raised from the floor
by a platform, and are hollow-filled with rubble. They have a hole on the
top that is the smoke-hole but also works as a modern "burner" for
quick-frying, etc.

HTH

Lis Herr Gelatt
a/k/a Aoife

LAMc2

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
Try the book
Tidings From the 18th Century
by Beth Gilgun. Texarkana, Arkansas: Rebel Publishing, 1993. (277 pages)
Outside Bake Oven: pp 202-207. Includes instructions, and a bibliography.