Need Information on Ratzeputz

Mitch Leventhal

Oct 11, 1994, 8:41:24 PM10/11/94
Does anyone know ANYTHING about a strong German spice liquor called
RATZEPUTZ ?

In particular, I am interested in knowing how long it has been produced, who
produces it, where it is made, and where it can be purchased.

Can anyone suggest other spice liquors which are similar?

With a name like RATZEPUTZ, it's gotta be good!

Mitch Leventhal

University of Chicago -- Department of Education
Tel. (H/W) 301-230-2536 email: mitc...@clark.net
Economies of Scale/Human Resource Planning/
Development Integration/Trade in Educational Services

Alexander Bachmann

Oct 12, 1994, 6:15:55 AM10/12/94
Mitch Leventhal (mitc...@clark.net) wrote:
: Does anyone know ANYTHING about a strong German spice liquor called
: RATZEPUTZ ?

I've never seen such a thing in Germany. There many spice liquors
like Underberg, Jaegermeister etc. Ratzeputz.
I think it is something produced only for export. I have seen
advertisements in american magazines for a peppermint liquor called
"Rumpleminze" that claimed to be German. I Never saw such a product.
Alex
--
bach...@ee.uni-sb.de

Bill Stuart

Oct 13, 1994, 10:59:07 PM10/13/94

Does anyone know how to dye a lobster?

Mitch Leventhal

Oct 13, 1994, 12:47:28 PM10/13/94
In article <CxLFJ...@freenet.carleton.ca> ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Bill Stuart) writes:

> Is that how it's spelled, or how it sounds when it's spelled?

Yes. I am quite certain about the spelling. Sigh :(

Bill Stuart

Oct 13, 1994, 12:09:20 AM10/13/94
In a previous article, mitc...@clark.net (Mitch Leventhal) says:

>Does anyone know ANYTHING about a strong German spice liquor called
>RATZEPUTZ ?

Is that how it's spelled, or how it sounds when it's spelled? I
tried looking it up, the closest i could come was "Rat-cleaner" or
"Rat-decorations".
If the first part sounds like "Rahwtse" then it could be
"mysterious" instead of rat, which sounds much more pleasing.
But i come from the land of "Gorilla balls" and "Beaver tails", so
who knows?

Mitch Leventhal

Oct 13, 1994, 12:46:35 PM10/13/94
In article <37gd0r...@sbusol.rz.uni-sb.de> al...@ee.uni-sb.de (Alexander Bachmann) writes:

>I've never seen such a thing in Germany.

snip

>I think it is something produced only for export.

Actually, aside from Copenhagen, the only places I have purchased it were a
bar in Berlin (1984) and in the Frankfort Airport duty free (1987).

Edmund White

Oct 14, 1994, 2:29:05 PM10/14/94
It's a strong ginger based drink, which will blow most peoples' heads
off! I bought a bottle in 1979, and it's about half gone! Very good on
cold winter mornings...

I too was originally attracted by the name!

Matthias Dietz-Lenssen

Oct 13, 1994, 8:29:16 PM10/13/94

RATZEPUTZ is the exact name: RATZE is an old German word for rat - to be
found in the combination RATZEKAHL - as bald as a rat. Later, RATZE was
used in the sense of RADICAL. PUTZ comes from *to clean* and RATZEPUTZ
is something what cleans radical (e.g. your throat).
Greetings from Mainz
Matthias

Matthias Dietz-Lenssen Institut fuer Ethnologie und Afrika-Studien
(privat:) Johannes Gutenberg-Universitaet
Gemeindehohl 22 Forum universitatis 6
D-55127 Mainz (Drais) D-55128 Mainz
Tel: 06131-477443 Tel: 06131-39 2798
FAX/BTX: 06131-477520 FAX: 06131-39 3730

Matthias Dietz-Lenssen

Oct 13, 1994, 8:24:22 PM10/13/94
In article <37gd0r...@sbusol.rz.uni-sb.de>, al...@ee.uni-sb.de (Alexander Bachmann) writes:
>Mitch Leventhal (mitc...@clark.net) wrote:
>: Does anyone know ANYTHING about a strong German spice liquor called
>: RATZEPUTZ ?
>
>I've never seen such a thing in Germany. There many spice liquors
>like Underberg, Jaegermeister etc. Ratzeputz.

Hallo Axel,
what about the pubs in Saarbruecken ? I know RATZEPUTZ for more than
20 years - and in 94 it became a *in-drink* in some pubs in Mainz.
Ask your local barkeeper - there must be a bottle of RATZEPUTZ in his
collection.
Tschuess

Katrine Kirk

Oct 14, 1994, 11:00:56 AM10/14/94
Mitch Leventhal (mitc...@clark.net) wrote:
: Does anyone know ANYTHING about a strong German spice liquor called
: RATZEPUTZ ?

I don't know much more than yourself - you've obviously tasted it. I live
in Copenhagen, and it was a staple drink among the students of the Copen-
hagen Business School a few years ago. There was a Ratzeputz club: you be-
came a junior member by drinking three shots in a row, and a "senior" mem-
ber by initiating three new junior members. :)

: In particular, I am interested in knowing how long it has been produced, who

: produces it, where it is made, and where it can be purchased.

Sorry, no idea, but it can be purchased readily in Copenhagen.

: Can anyone suggest other spice liquors which are similar?

Well, the pervavise flavour of Ratzeputz is ginger. In Denmark, Gammel Dansk (= "Old Danish") comes quite close, actually. Gammel Dansk is a bitter which is
drunk with breakfast on especially festive occassions, or taken along as a
body-warming elexir on hunting/fishing trips.

Look for liquors containing ginger, if you want a similar flavour.
BUT, if what you want is shock value ;-), try mixing vodka, pepper and
licorice powder (or licorice sweets known as "Turkish peppers") together.
Fill a jar with the Turkish pepper sweets, or maybe 1/3 full of licorice
powder, add a teaspoon or tablespoon of ground black pepper, cover with
vodka and let stand for a few weeks. Stir to mix residue, and serve as
a shot. The name: Smaa Graa (Little grays - a reference to the brain cells
you are burning away).

Some Copenhagen bars feature a drink called Aeselspark (= Donkey's kick)
which is part Gammel Dansk, part smaa graa and part Ratzeputz. The worst
of all possible worlds! ;-)

: With a name like RATZEPUTZ, it's gotta be good!

Now THAT is a matter of taste. I know about the stuff, but don't drink
it voluntarily.

Enjoy life,
Katrine Kirk
k...@cbs.dk

Corinna Mergelsberg

Oct 18, 1994, 7:27:06 AM10/18/94
In article <37gd0r...@sbusol.rz.uni-sb.de>, al...@ee.uni-sb.de (Alexander Bachmann) writes:
|> Mitch Leventhal (mitc...@clark.net) wrote:
|> : Does anyone know ANYTHING about a strong German spice liquor called
|> : RATZEPUTZ ?
|>
|> I've never seen such a thing in Germany. There many spice liquors
|> like Underberg, Jaegermeister etc. Ratzeputz.
|> I think it is something produced only for export.

Sorry, you are wrong. It's a speciality from Duesseldorf. There is a shop
there you only sells this stuff, in all sizes (I have never been tempted
to buy it, though - :-))

I have seen
|> advertisements in american magazines for a peppermint liquor called
|> "Rumpleminze" that claimed to be German. I Never saw such a product.

You are quite right in princible, of course. Just think of all the Blue Nun wine
that pretends to be Liebfraumilch.

Corinna

Corinna Mergelsberg e-mail: cme...@whu-koblenz.de

You are brief and frail and blue -
Little sisters, I am too.
You are heaven's masterpieces -
Little loves, the likeness ceases.

(D.Parker, Sweet Violets)

Dale Desprey

Nov 10, 1994, 2:47:06 PM11/10/94

In a previous article, mitc...@clark.net (Mitch Leventhal) says:

>Does anyone know ANYTHING about a strong German spice liquor called
>RATZEPUTZ ?
>
>In particular, I am interested in knowing how long it has been produced, who
>produces it, where it is made, and where it can be purchased.
>
>Can anyone suggest other spice liquors which are similar?

There is something here called Alpenbitter. I have no idea what it is
made of, but I am convinced of the following:

40 % Alcohol by volume
Tastes terrible
Is a sure fire cure for a cold ( An example of the cure being worse than
the disease)

--

langebar...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2018, 5:22:55 PM8/31/18
Baland and Langebartels in Germany, 58% considered a schnapps. Impossible to get in the states I'm finding out

Jes Me

Aug 31, 2018, 8:10:24 PM8/31/18

https://www.whisqy.com/us/catalog/product/view/id/4823