Perfex pepper grinder problem

Ben Lotto

Jan 8, 2010, 5:51:47 AM1/8/10
The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:

Any suggestions for fixing this myself?

How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
on the grinder?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Sky

Jan 8, 2010, 9:21:41 PM1/8/10

Did you 'googgle' first before asking here? Did you check "perfex.com"
to see if it existed or its parent company's website? A good place to
check is to ask your local librarian for the company's contact
information. Another option would be to look on Ebay or the local
Craigslist to find another exact pepper grinder and cannibalize (sp?)
the parts ;) Those are options I'd try :)) Good luck - I hope you get a
good response whatever you learn.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

jt august

Jan 9, 2010, 9:11:36 PM1/9/10
In article <4B47E8...@NOsbcglobal.SnPeAtM>,
Sky <skyh...@NOsbcglobal.SnPeAtM> wrote:

> Ben Lotto wrote:
> >
> > The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
> > a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:
> >
> > Any suggestions for fixing this myself?
> >
> > How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
> > on the grinder?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > -Ben
>
> Did you 'googgle' first before asking here? Did you check "perfex.com"
> to see if it existed or its parent company's website? A good place to
> check is to ask your local librarian for the company's contact
> information. Another option would be to look on Ebay or the local
> Craigslist to find another exact pepper grinder and cannibalize (sp?)
> the parts ;) Those are options I'd try :)) Good luck - I hope you get a
> good response whatever you learn.
>
> Sky

I don't know about Ben, but I tried various search options and came up
empty. Best I can recommend to Ben is to contact Sur La Table. They
carry Perfex, so they would be your best bet for contact info on the
manufacturer.

Good luck,
jt

Wayne Boatwright

Jan 11, 2010, 1:33:38 AM1/11/10
On Fri 08 Jan 2010 07:21:41p, Sky told us...

> Ben Lotto wrote:
>>
>> The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
>> a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:
>>
>> Any suggestions for fixing this myself?
>>
>> How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
>> on the grinder?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> -Ben
>
> Did you 'googgle' first before asking here? Did you check "perfex.com"
> to see if it existed or its parent company's website? A good place to
> check is to ask your local librarian for the company's contact
> information. Another option would be to look on Ebay or the local
> Craigslist to find another exact pepper grinder and cannibalize (sp?)
> the parts ;) Those are options I'd try :)) Good luck - I hope you get a
> good response whatever you learn.
>
> Sky

I'm surprised that the OP is having this problem. I've had the same Perfex
pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. I have
completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a
thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or
allspice berries to the mix.

A good grasp of the nut with a pair of pliers while holding the handle on
top stationary should make the nut loosen enough to remove and properly
clean it. If it resists, add a few drops of penetrating oil to the nut
around the threads and allow time for it to work its way in.

Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright

Jan 11, 2010, 1:34:53 AM1/11/10
On Sat 09 Jan 2010 07:11:36p, jt august told us...

Yeah, the Perfex mill is manufactured by a small family owned company in
Saint-Etienne, France. I've never been able to find the name of the
company.

paulette

Feb 2, 2010, 2:43:49 PM2/2/10
On Jan 11, 1:34�am, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwri...@arizona.usa.com>
wrote:

> On Sat 09 Jan 2010 07:11:36p, jt august told us...
>

> > In article <4B47E835.4...@NOsbcglobal.SnPeAtM>,
> � � � � � � � � � � �Wayne Boatwright- Hide quoted text -

Dear Mr. Boatwright:

I also have the problem . I see rust on the rod that shows as you are
tightening it. You had the only solution to a problem I have been
having for a year now. I finally just put the grinder away, bought
one of those McCormick grinders, and dislike the thought of plastic
being in my meals from the plastic parts.

When reading your solutions I was thrilled. I had been afraid to take
it apart. I could not find my warranty receipt. The store, Bed Bath
and Beyond wasn't cooperative about returning it without a receipt.

May I ask what might seem a silly question to you. How do I get rid
of the rust. And secondly how does rust happen when you dont put it
in water? I learned from your post that holding the handle taut
helps to work with the nut on the bottom. But it is really not giving
me a fine pepper. Instead many large pieces come out. It is quite
frustrating, as I love pepper, but my octogenarian dad won't eat
anything if he finds lumps or pieces.

Can you suggest an answer to the rust cleaning. And thank you for
taking the time to read this.

Paulette Lebow

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 2, 2010, 10:31:26 PM2/2/10
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:43:49 -0800 (PST), paulette <as...@aol.com>
wrote:

> how does rust happen when you dont put it
>in water?

Rust is oxidation of metal. You don't need water, just the water
vapor (humidity) in the air.

Ben Lotto

Feb 20, 2010, 5:03:25 PM2/20/10
On Jan 11, 1:33 am, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwri...@arizona.usa.com>
wrote:

> I'm surprised that the OP is having this problem.  I've had the same Perfex
> pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem.  I have
> completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a
> thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or
> allspice berries to the mix.
>
> A good grasp of the nut with a pair of pliers while holding the handle on
> top stationary should make the nut loosen enough to remove and properly
> clean it.  If it resists, add a few drops of penetrating oil to the nut
> around the threads and allow time for it to work its way in.

I followed Wayne's suggestion and it worked great. I cleaned
everything out with a toothbrush, put a little wax on the thread of
the long handle/nut, and everything is working perfectly now!

eshel...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2016, 8:37:24 AM11/22/16
I've had mine since '76 . Thete must be a problem as I'm getting whole bits of salt rock on my food. Pretty yukky.
Will try a good clean!

6064d...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2017, 4:40:27 PM2/8/17
I have a very old 3 inch Perfex pepper grinder that was my father's. My father just passed away and I have inherited it, yeah! However, the knob on the end of the grinder handle has fallen off. I would love to locate a replacement part for it. The knob of the top also fell off and was lost so I have found another knob to use for it. However, if I find where to purchase the replacement knob for handle I'd also purchase the top knob. I have found that the small family owned company that manufacturers them in Etienne, France is called Ambrunn, but I can't figure out how to get in touch with them to order the parts. And if I do find how to get them, will I need to speak French to describe what I need? In trouble if that is the case. Thanks, Kerry

lg...@bellsouth.net

Nov 18, 2017, 11:44:56 AM11/18/17
Hi Wayne,
Reading your post has given me hope.
I have a Perfex Crank Pepper Mill from around the 1980's and I recently disassembled to clean thoroughly and, ack! didn't think to take an image of the assembly for reassembly. Any chance you'd have the time to create a tutorial for how the thing is supposed to go back together, or at least a written, step-by-step? I have a metal washer outside the body, below the crank handle and I know it's not meant to be there but can't figure out how or where it is meant to be situated.
Any assistance would be so appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chandra

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 21, 2017, 10:30:44 AM11/21/17
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 08:44:55 -0800 (PST), lg...@bellsouth.net wrote:

>On Monday, January 11, 2010 at 12:33:38 AM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 08 Jan 2010 07:21:41p, Sky told us...

>> I'm surprised that the OP is having this problem. I've had the same Perfex
>> pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. I have
>> completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a
>> thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or
>> allspice berries to the mix.
>>
>> A good grasp of the nut with a pair of pliers while holding the handle on
>> top stationary should make the nut loosen enough to remove and properly
>> clean it. If it resists, add a few drops of penetrating oil to the nut
>> around the threads and allow time for it to work its way in.

>> Wayne Boatwright
>
>Hi Wayne,
>Reading your post has given me hope.
>I have a Perfex Crank Pepper Mill from around the 1980's and I recently disassembled to clean thoroughly and, ack! didn't think to take an image of the assembly for reassembly. Any chance you'd have the time to create a tutorial for how the thing is supposed to go back together, or at least a written, step-by-step? I have a metal washer outside the body, below the crank handle and I know it's not meant to be there but can't figure out how or where it is meant to be situated.
>Any assistance would be so appreciated.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Chandra

Don't set your expectations too high. Wayne posted this 7 years ago
and has not been back since.

Eric Johnson

Aug 4, 2022, 1:48:37 PM8/4/22
Roughly 5 years after Chandra posted her questions - and a full 12 years after Wayne's last post - I have the answer:

The washer you have placed on the bottom of the unit actually sits between the spring and the top of the unit. If you're re-assembling upside-down, you will thread the rod back through the mill via the hole on the top, then drop the washer onto the rod, then add the spring, then the inner portion of the burr/grinder assembly and finally you can add back on the bottom nut.

I just disassembled one of these so that I can clean the rusty and oxidized bits and but it back into use. I'm taking note from any assembly/disassembly in which you have two examples or sides: the salt mill is staying assembled until I have fully re-assembled the pepper mill, so that I might always have a known-good reference point.

Chandra, I hope this is useful to you a full half-decade later.

Eric

john kauf

Mar 4, 2023, 4:31:35 PM3/4/23
You forgot the little 1/4" spring that goes on the bottom nut. I still can't figure out how that works and exactly where it goes. I believe it goes on the shaft of the grinder, on the outside after you assemble everything else and then put on the nut. Not exactly sure about this, but without the little springs the grinders won't work.

Patrick Blasz

Sep 23, 2023, 4:32:50 PM9/23/23
Anyone have experience fixing a detached handle . . . the handle turns freely without engaging the spindle.
Message has been deleted