wolf range doesn't accomodate standard sheet pans

rachael traub

Jul 20, 2004, 4:50:45 PM7/20/04
my new 6 burner wolf range is great, except for one critical and
disapointing thing: It is only 16 inches deep inside, so standard
sheet pans (26 x 18) do not allow the oven door to close. I feel I
have made a 4500 dollar mistake and hope this posting may prevent
others doing the same.

I wrote to the manufacturer, hoping that perhaps they had a source for
smaller pans. They claim previous customers have had their own pans
made. does anyone have a source for sheet pans that are 26 x 16?

Brian Seeger

Jul 20, 2004, 5:24:24 PM7/20/04
rachi...@yahoo.com (rachael traub) wrote:

> They claim previous customers have had their own pans
>made.

Their own pans MADE??? That is outrageous.
Wish you the best on your issue...but doesn't sound promising.
Thanks for the heads up......

Bill

Jul 21, 2004, 4:49:57 AM7/21/04
in article 8b2e411f.04072...@posting.google.com, rachael traub at
rachi...@yahoo.com wrote on 20/07/04 13:50:

> my new 6 burner wolf range is great, except for one critical and
> disapointing thing: It is only 16 inches deep inside, so standard
> sheet pans (26 x 18) do not allow the oven door to close. I feel I
> have made a 4500 dollar mistake and hope this posting may prevent
> others doing the same.

Sounds like you bought the domestic version of the Wolf range rather than
the commercial range. The domestic version is designed to match the depth
of standard household countertops so the ovens are not as deep as the
commercial version. My suggestion is to revert to half sheet pans which are
18X13 and readily available.

For what it is worth, commercial ranges are available at restaurant supply
stores often much less $$$$ than the domestic range. The commercial ranges
lack all the bells and whistles of the domestic range but will take a full
sheet pan.

rachael traub

Jul 21, 2004, 6:48:09 PM7/21/04
Hi Bill,

I really appreciate the comments and the suggestion.

I do have a domestic version, I was under the impression that you
cannot legally install a commercial range in a home, according to
building code.

I have plenty of half sheet pans and do use them. But I cannot use 2
half sheet pans side by side on the same shelf, as this is the same as
using a full sheet pan.

I just wish I could find pans that would allow me to take advantage of
the full dimensions of this oven. I am kind of appalled that Wolf does
not offer a solution.

Bill

Jul 22, 2004, 2:02:06 AM7/22/04
rachi...@yahoo.com wrote on 21/07/04 15:48:

> I was under the impression that you
> cannot legally install a commercial range in a home, according to
> building code.

Hi Rachael

I don't know where you live, but where I live, British Columbia, Canada,
there is no restriction on having a commercial range in a house. I have one
in my house. There are some installation requirements that have to be met
however.

First a commercial range is not insulated like a domestic range so the
commercial range has to have a specific clearance from a combustible
surface. This is easily resolved with appropriate materials and suitable
insulation. Second, the commercial range has a much higher heat output than
a domestic range and therefore requires adequate exhaust ventilation and
third you need adequate gas supply as the commercial ranges have a higher
fuel demand than domestic ranges.

I would have to say that you perhaps are in the minority of the buyers of
commercial look a like domestic ranges. The vast majority of the buyers,
purchase them for the look and are not interested in using commercial pans
or other cooking equipment. ( Don't anyone flame me on this observation as
it is not mine but that of appliance retailers).

Rachael, I doubt that you will find anyone selling a pan to fit your oven so
I would suggest, if you really have the need for larger pans, to find a
sheet metal shop that can knock you out a few.

Cheers

Bill

Joe Doe

Jul 22, 2004, 2:45:38 PM7/22/04
In article <BD24A66E.2464%pizza...@dccnet.com>,

> Rachael, I doubt that you will find anyone selling a pan to fit your oven so
> I would suggest, if you really have the need for larger pans, to find a
> sheet metal shop that can knock you out a few.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bill

For the benefit of those considering similar purchases Bluestar claims
that their residential ranges will fit a full sheet pan.

http://www.prizer-painter.com/

Roland

Joe Doe

Jul 22, 2004, 3:05:54 PM7/22/04
Bill <pizza...@dccnet.com> wrote:

> in article 8b2e411f.04072...@posting.google.com, rachael traub at
> rachi...@yahoo.com wrote on 21/07/04 15:48:
>
> > I was under the impression that you
> > cannot legally install a commercial range in a home, according to
> > building code.
>
> Hi Rachael
>
> I don't know where you live, but where I live, British Columbia, Canada,
> there is no restriction on having a commercial range in a house. I have one
> in my house.

What kind of range do you have? What is the rated BTU of the burners?

If you are so inclined could you run a little test: See how long it
takes to bring 6 quarts of water in a large pot to a rolling boil.
Should you choose to do so, please be as precise as you can in terms of
volumes and what you define as boiling (few bubbles vs vigorous rolling
boil (my preferred endpoint).

I am trying to establish a database that will be available for potential
buyers so that they can see how rated BTU translates to real world
performance.

I recently bought a Hotpoint (model rated favorably by CR) that has a
12,000 BTU burner. It takes about 20 minutes to bring 6 quarts to a
rolling boil. This compares very favorably with the Bluestar that took
17 minutes and 40 seconds in Rosengartens tests published here:

http://www.departures.com/ad/ad_1103_cookranges.html

Essentially, the Hotpoint delivers 90% of the performance at 10% of the
price. Based on raw BTU ratings of the burners you would have expected
a bigger difference.

I am doing several measurements and in many areas (relating to actual
performance) the Hotpoint compares VERY FAVORABLY to ranges costing >
ten times more. Obviously many of the differences are aesthetic and
Hotpoint fares less favorably here. When I have had a chance to fully
evaluate the range I will post a summary here.

Roland

Roland

Colin

Jul 22, 2004, 7:08:43 PM7/22/04
> For the benefit of those considering similar purchases Bluestar claims
> that their residential ranges will fit a full sheet pan.
>
> http://www.prizer-painter.com/

Yes, Blue Star ranges accept full size sheet pans. And they are only
24 inches deep, meaning they don't stick out beyond the cabinets.

Bill

Jul 23, 2004, 2:06:18 AM7/23/04
in article None-8A1DC3.1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu, Joe Doe at
No...@mail.utexas.edu wrote on 22/07/04 12:05:

> What kind of range do you have? What is the rated BTU of the burners?
>
> If you are so inclined could you run a little test: See how long it
> takes to bring 6 quarts of water in a large pot to a rolling boil.
> Should you choose to do so, please be as precise as you can in terms of
> volumes and what you define as boiling (few bubbles vs vigorous rolling
> boil (my preferred endpoint).

I have an old Garland that I picked up second hand for CDN$800. I believe
the burners are 24,000 BTU It takes 8min 30 sec. To bring 6 litres (6.3 US
quarts) of water to a rolling boil.

Just sold it as I am moving and going to get a new DCS range top.

rachael traub

Jul 31, 2004, 8:01:35 AM7/31/04
Bill <pizza...@dccnet.com> wrote in message news:<BD24A66E.2464%pizza...@dccnet.com>...

> Rachael, I doubt that you will find anyone selling a pan to fit your oven so
> I would suggest, if you really have the need for larger pans, to find a
> sheet metal shop that can knock you out a few.

Thanks to this post, I recived an email pointing out a source for 3/4
sheet pans. They are 21 x 15 and sturdy commercial grade. While they
do not allow me to take advantage of the full capacity of my wolf
oven, they are an 81 square inch upgrade over half sheet pans. I
bought mine at acemart.com for $6.95 each. I also discovered that a
search for 'bun pans' will return more results than 'sheet pans'.

Bill

Aug 1, 2004, 3:17:05 AM8/1/04
in article 8b2e411f.04073...@posting.google.com, rachael traub at
rachi...@yahoo.com wrote on 04/07/31 05:01:

> Thanks to this post, I recived an email pointing out a source for 3/4
> sheet pans. They are 21 x 15 and sturdy commercial grade.

Happy to learn that you were able to find something fairly suitable.

Jeffrey Frick

Mar 2, 2023, 8:53:52 AM3/2/23
Well, here it is 2023 and FYI, full pans still do not fit in a 36" Wolf. I can get one in the bottom rack if I flip the rack over. The convection fan protrudes into the oven. The counter depth Dacor that it replaced held full sheet pans on all 4 racks. The convection element and fan were not inside the oven. I have to say, this is very disappointing. The Dacor was a fantastic range, but in the 20 years we had it, something was always broken. It was the Jaguar of stoves. Great when it worked, but always in the shop. I never imagined that an $8,000 range would not hold a full pan. I now have 4 pans and will only ever use 1. FYI, you cannot put a commercial range in a home. The CO from the pilots is an issue. Plus, the additional 4+ inches of depth may be an issue for some,