Re-painting Le Creuset cookware

George Bray

Jan 10, 2003, 7:13:06 AM1/10/03
Hi

Does anybody know of a non-toxic and hard wearing paint/enamel which
it's safe to use on Le Creuset pans, for touching up the enamel?

I bought several enamelled saucepans from the Le Creuset range about
ten years back, along with other, much cheaper non-stick pans from
Tefal, etc. The Le Creuset pans have weathered by far the worst, with
quite a lot of the cream coloured enamel having chipped off,
especially around the rims. I'm surprised, because I try to look after
them. By comparison, none of the non-stick finish has come off the
other pans.

Regards
George

Chris Issariotis

Jan 10, 2003, 8:43:16 AM1/10/03
Return them for new ones. The lifetime warranty is what you paid the big
bucks for.

Chris

"George Bray" <GeorgeB...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Peter Aitken

Jan 10, 2003, 9:00:35 AM1/10/03
"George Bray" <GeorgeB...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The enamel on these pans is a ceramic that is fired on at high temperatures,
so you cannot simply "paint" it on. In any case, since you bought the pans,
why not use their lifetime warranty to get replacements?

--
Peter Aitken

George Bray

Jan 11, 2003, 3:15:49 PM1/11/03
"Peter Aitken" <pai...@CRAPnc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<7mAT9.58302$kY3.2...@twister.southeast.rr.com>...

> "George Bray" <GeorgeB...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> The enamel on these pans is a ceramic that is fired on at high temperatures,
> so you cannot simply "paint" it on. In any case, since you bought the pans,
> why not use their lifetime warranty to get replacements?

Your response and the other one re. lifetime warranty is a very
helpful revelation about which I had no idea. Thank you both. I
normally keep all receipts and labels but am not sure about the
documentation for these pans. Do they demand evidence of purchase, do
you know, and might they not say I had simply neglected the pans, even
though my non-stick pans have been treated the same way and still look
great.

Regards
George

Chris Issariotis

Jan 11, 2003, 3:31:49 PM1/11/03
Try taking them back to a Sears or William Sonoma they are both very
customer service oriented stores. Your pan is your proof of purchase. That
should be enough.

Chris

George Bray

Jan 13, 2003, 8:10:47 AM1/13/03
"Chris Issariotis" <iqc...@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<Va%T9.309150$F2h1....@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...

> Try taking them back to a Sears or William Sonoma they are both very
> customer service oriented stores. Your pan is your proof of purchase. That
> should be enough.

I should have mentioned that I live in the UK and the pans were bought
in the UK. Le Creuset (UK) Ltd have just advised me by phone that:

- Le Creuset guarantee policy varies from country to country,
- in the UK, there is no guarantee for Le Creuset cookware bought
before 1989,
- there is a 10 year guarantee for items bought between 1989 and 1999,
- the lifetime guarantee applies only to items bought from 2000
onwards,

In any event, they said they need to inspect the pans and any damage
not due to a manufacturing fault is not covered.

Sounds like I'm going to lose out, and will never recommend or
purchase Le Creuset enamel finish cookware ever again.

Regards
George

David Eastwood

Jan 15, 2003, 7:01:08 PM1/15/03
GeorgeB...@hotmail.com (George Bray) wrote:

>I should have mentioned that I live in the UK and the pans were bought
>in the UK. Le Creuset (UK) Ltd have just advised me by phone that:
>
>- Le Creuset guarantee policy varies from country to country,
>- in the UK, there is no guarantee for Le Creuset cookware bought
>before 1989,
>- there is a 10 year guarantee for items bought between 1989 and 1999,
>- the lifetime guarantee applies only to items bought from 2000
>onwards,
>
>In any event, they said they need to inspect the pans and any damage
>not due to a manufacturing fault is not covered.
>
>Sounds like I'm going to lose out, and will never recommend or
>purchase Le Creuset enamel finish cookware ever again.

Why do you say that? According to your original post, you're probably
covered by the lifetime warranty - why don't you have them inspected?
David Eastwood - eats...@mchsi.com

Margaret

Jan 16, 2003, 10:48:21 AM1/16/03
David Eastwood <eats...@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:<jatb2v4e15oma78ho...@4ax.com>...

My experience with cookware companies is that they always seem to find
a way of blaming it on the user of the utensils. I have only once been
successful in this area.

George Bray

Jan 17, 2003, 1:56:28 PM1/17/03
David Eastwood <eats...@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:<jatb2v4e15oma78ho...@4ax.com>...

> ... According to your original post, you're probably

> covered by the lifetime warranty - why don't you have them inspected?

Unfortunately not.

I said I bought several enamelled saucepans from the Le Creuset range
about
ten years back, i.e. around 1993, and they've worn terribly compared
to other leading brands.

But, as I reported, the lifetime warranty is only valid on UK
purchases from 2000 so I'm unable to claim under any lifetime
warranty.

However I may be a few days within the ten year warranty, with any
luck.

Regards
George

David Eastwood

Jan 17, 2003, 8:18:53 PM1/17/03
GeorgeB...@hotmail.com (George Bray) wrote:

My mistake - I meant to say the '10 year warranty', not the lifetime
(age does terrible things to mental arithmetic ability). I still
think you should go after it - good luck!

Cheers,
David

George Bray

Feb 3, 2003, 4:03:02 PM2/3/03
David Eastwood <eats...@mchsi.com> wrote in message >

> ...My mistake - I meant to say the '10 year warranty', not the lifetime

> (age does terrible things to mental arithmetic ability). I still
> think you should go after it - good luck!

I've taken one of the faulty Le Creuset saucepans to the shop where I
bought it and they are going to have it looked at under the guarantee
by the Le Creuset rep when he or she calls in a few weeks time, but
the signs are not good.

I recall how strongly this leading UK retailer recommended Le Creuset
when I bought the pans. 'They'd last a lifetime.' 'They were the best
pans money could buy' etc, etc. And with the Le Creuset guarantee, of
course.

What a difference in attitude now...the shop thought any damage must
have been caused by mishandling and it was most unlikely that Le
Creuset would replace them. Apparently, they now give out rubber
spacers to protect the fragile enamel around the rim if stacking the
pans one inside another, as I have. She wasn't interested in my
argument that none of my other types of pan look anywhere near as
worn, yet they've been treated in exactly the same way. Even my 20
year-old sink still looks new and that's coated with enamel, too.

Regards
George

N. Thornton

Feb 24, 2003, 8:32:40 PM2/24/03
GeorgeB...@hotmail.com (George Bray) wrote in message news:<f888ed61.03020...@posting.google.com>...

I think Le Creuset is dreadful stuff. Expensive yes, but awful to use.
And it doesn't look good either IMO. I have some really old cast iron
that looks better than the LC stuff - tho I dont much like that either
:)

Regards, NT

marce...@verizon.net

Jan 13, 2015, 6:07:23 AM1/13/15
It may be a lifetime warranty - but the warranty is USELESS!!!!!!!!!!! I have a chip in the lid of my stockpot. I called the company to see how i can get this either repaired or replaced. The company policy is that they DO NOT REPLACE LIDS. If I need to have it replaced I have to send the lid and stockpot back to the company oat my cost and if they decide that it is my fault they will trash the stockpot and lid. First of all - the shipping for that item would be around $40 or more. Why in the world would they need the pot when it is just the lid? I talked to 2 customer service reps plus their supervisors about this. I was told the same thing - we do not replace lids!!! This is the most REDICULOUS company policy that I have ever heard of, especially since the items that they sell are so completely overpriced!!!! I am willing to pay for quality, however, the quality of this product and their customer service is totally unacceptable!!!!!!!!

pltrgyst

Jan 14, 2015, 5:18:34 PM1/14/15
On 1/13/15 6:07 AM, marce...@verizon.net wrote:

> It may be a lifetime warranty - but the warranty is USELESS!!!!!!!!!!! I have a chip in the lid of my stockpot....

Why would you care about a chip on the lid?

-- Larry

verbatim...@rogers.com

Jul 18, 2017, 10:17:19 AM7/18/17
On Friday, January 10, 2003 at 7:13:06 AM UTC-5, George Bray wrote:
I have a suggestion for you. Take the lid and purchase a bottle of nail polish that is the exact match. Give the chips several thin coats...building them up over time until the chip disappears. I have done this and it is 100% effective.

Adam Baszak

Nov 13, 2020, 9:08:12 PM11/13/20
Please don't use nail polish on cookware.
Message has been deleted