Glass pitcher for iced tea?

Sanjay Punjab

Sep 8, 2002, 9:57:21 PM9/8/02
I currently make home-made ice tea several times a week.
I boil water in a kettle, pour it into a plastic pitcher and soak 2
large Luzianne tea bags for 4 minutes and let it cool on the counter
overnight or put it directly into the refrigerator. It tastes pretty
good, although there is a hint of plastic flavor. And the plastic
pitchers get stained very easily and these stains are hard to remove
with just soap and water. So I plan to switch to glass pitchers which
look nicer, don't absorb stains and won't add any odd flavors. However
I am concerned about pouring boiling water into a glass container. I
vaguely recall that doing so can cause the pitcher to break,
especially if I then put the hot tea in the pitcher into the fridge to
cool overnight. Is this true?

Her Serene Highness

Sep 8, 2002, 11:12:45 PM9/8/02

"Sanjay Punjab" <picli...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It depends on the type and thickness of the glass. I do it all the time, but
I use a pitcher that's resistant to heat.

Another thing to do is to use a pot, and after the tea has cooled, transfer
it to a pitcher.

Jerry Nielsen

Sep 9, 2002, 11:47:54 AM9/9/02
in article NkUe9.21597$hh.46...@twister.nyc.rr.com, Her Serene Highness at
nysm...@hotmail.com wrote on 9/8/02 8:12 PM:

> It depends on the type and thickness of the glass. I do it all the time, but
> I use a pitcher that's resistant to heat.

Yep. If appearance is no issue there are Pyrex pitchers available at the
housewares department of most department stores. If it needs to be
decorative, ask the sales person for some evidence that the decorative
pitcher is heat safe.

> Another thing to do is to use a pot, and after the tea has cooled, transfer
> it to a pitcher.

We make large quantities of iced tea during the summer and actually brew it
in a large non-reactive (read stainless steel) pot as HSR suggests. Then we
serve it in a nice crystal pitcher which is not heat resistant.

Jerry Nielsen

doc elder

Sep 9, 2002, 10:12:45 PM9/9/02
Third try.... my ISP isn't working so well for up-loading posts
today.

What we did when I was growing up was brew a concentrate in
a large pyrex measuring cup and then pour it into a pitcher partially
filled with unheated water (accounting for the volume of the
concentrate) to cool down and dilute the concentrate. I don't
recall any problems with the relatively hefty glass pitchers we
use taking the heat shift.

I do, however, remember us saving the glass pitchers for
Sunday dinner and special meals because of the careless
handling by my sister and myself. Four-foot drops to
hardwood or linoleum floors are a mess with plastic pitchers.
They are frequently fatal to glass pitchers.

-Doc

--
--------

It's only the giving that makes you... what you are

.

Chris Burner

Sep 10, 2002, 11:49:58 AM9/10/02
"doc elder" <ael...@gowebway.com> wrote in message news:<aljkga$iaj$1...@slb1.atl.mindspring.net>...

Of course it'll break you dumbass

Sara

Sep 12, 2002, 7:52:04 PM9/12/02
hi

Raymond C Becker Jr

Sep 23, 2002, 8:43:26 AM9/23/02
Pour warm water in the pitcher first the glass wont break then let cool
before putting in the fridge
Ray

sergio sbigfive

Oct 4, 2002, 7:23:21 PM10/4/02
To prevent the glass from breaking put a metal spoon in the container ( or
if you are afraid, put a couple of big spoons)
That is what my mother used to do when she was serving boiling wine, she
called Vin Brule', it had apple slices, cloves, cinnamon stick and sugar.
It works.

"Raymond C Becker Jr" <rcbe...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message