Canadian tea drinkers- Red Rose tea - what happened to quality?

Wing Lee

Mar 20, 2005, 6:35:50 PM3/20/05
Hi

I've been a Red Rose tea drinker for the past 30 plus years. At one time
it was fragrant strong tea.You would open the box and the wonderful aroma
would was delicious.I purchased some boxes in the past 2 months and Lipton
company, who I believe has taken over Red Rose, has changed the product into
GUTROT!

The aroma is gone. There is NO tea flavor. I generally steep my tea for 5-10
min and even after doing this it still is TASTELESS SWAMP WATER

My Red Rose drinking friends have found the same thing.

Is there another tea out there that is comparable to the original Red Rose
flavor?

Roseanne

siDetRaked

Mar 21, 2005, 6:53:24 AM3/21/05
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:35:50 -0500, "Wing Lee" <wle...@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

>Is there another tea out there that is comparable to the original Red Rose
>flavor?

I Googled and found an old post from 1999. They were comparing other
teas to Red Rose. One that was recommended, although costing more
than Red Rose was:

http://www.coffeecravings.com/tea/bags/tetleys/cfl136/
--
siDetRaked
since 1938

Wing Lee

Mar 21, 2005, 10:40:24 AM3/21/05
Thanks for the link. It is Tetley tea that was compared to Red Rose and I do
recall drinking some at some point and it was okay. It's on my supermarket
shelf and I don't think it's more expensive than Red Rose. I will be going
out to buy some and hopefully their blend has not changed.

Thanks,
Roseanne
"siDetRaked" <sidet...@bluebottle.com> wrote in message

Melinda

Mar 21, 2005, 10:19:02 PM3/21/05
Roseanne, if you're not familiar with British teas or teabags...give PG Tips
a try too if Tetley's doesn't suit you, PG Tips is a little more expensive,
but I like it. I was also a Tetley's girl for a long time too though, until
I got into loose leaf...

There is also a major brand called Typhoo which is a little different
tasting than Tetley's but I liked it too.

Melinda

--
"The country has entered an era in which
questions are not asked, for questions are
"Wing Lee" <wle...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

Richard Bornstein

Mar 22, 2005, 2:40:33 PM3/22/05
I also used to drink Red Rose, but i don't anymore for the same reason. I
have found a Canadian tea which is the best I have had anywhere. It is
called 'King Cold" (or Morse's) and is found in all Sobeys and most IGA's.
Make sure the package says "with gauze". It is made by Barbour's out in New
Brunswick. Let me know what you thought.

"Wing Lee" <wle...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

Wing Lee

Mar 23, 2005, 12:10:48 PM3/23/05
Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely try the different teas
and keep you posted as to who's comparable to Red Rose.

Roseanne

"Richard Bornstein" <richard....@3web.net> wrote in message

siDetRaked

Mar 23, 2005, 12:27:02 PM3/23/05
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:10:48 -0500, "Wing Lee" <wle...@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

>Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely try the different teas

>and keep you posted as to who's comparable to Red Rose.

I still use Red Rose to make iced tea. It is the best iced tea I've
ever drank. I have it down to a measured science.
--
siDetRaked
since 1938

Richard Bornstein

Mar 24, 2005, 1:42:51 AM3/24/05
Sorry, I ment "King Cole" not King Cold.

"Wing Lee" <wle...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

Michael Plant

Mar 24, 2005, 6:58:11 AM3/24/05
siDetRakedgq9341h52sgb...@4ax.com3/23/05
12:272ff...@spamday.com

May I suggest a Bai Hao (AKA Oriental Beauty, Formosa Oolong, etc.) for iced
tea. Try it. Make it strong. You'll thank me.

Best,
Michael

siDetRaked

Mar 24, 2005, 6:59:32 AM3/24/05
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:58:11 GMT, Michael Plant <mpl...@pipeline.com>
wrote:

>May I suggest a Bai Hao (AKA Oriental Beauty, Formosa Oolong, etc.) for iced
>tea. Try it. Make it strong. You'll thank me.

I'll try it. Thanks Michael
--
siDetRaked
since 1938

Scott Dorsey

Mar 24, 2005, 12:09:39 PM3/24/05
Michael Plant <mpl...@pipeline.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:10:48 -0500, "Wing Lee" <wle...@cogeco.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely try the different teas
>>> and keep you posted as to who's comparable to Red Rose.
>>
>> I still use Red Rose to make iced tea. It is the best iced tea I've
>> ever drank. I have it down to a measured science.
>
>May I suggest a Bai Hao (AKA Oriental Beauty, Formosa Oolong, etc.) for iced
>tea. Try it. Make it strong. You'll thank me.

I have used the Ten Ren Oriental Beauty in iced tea, and it works okay,
but I think a CTC Ceylon is really a better choice. I tend to use the
Nuwara Elya teas rather than the stronger Uva stuff, but the Uvas work
nicely.

For something very odd, try a jasmine tea, even the typical 'yellow box'
variety. I am not sure if I like the effect or not but I keep trying
it....
--scott

Michael Plant

Mar 24, 2005, 12:16:21 PM3/24/05
Scott Dorseyd1us8j$6r3$1...@panix2.panix.com3/24/05 12:09kl...@panix.com

scott,

You cannot say, CTC Ceylon is really a better choice. What you can say is, I
prefer CTC Ceylon to Bai Hao. (Just clarifying.)

Michael

Scott Dorsey

Mar 24, 2005, 12:21:10 PM3/24/05
Michael Plant <mpl...@pipeline.com> wrote:

>You cannot say, CTC Ceylon is really a better choice. What you can say is, I
>prefer CTC Ceylon to Bai Hao. (Just clarifying.)

Well, you lose so much of the delicate flavour of the bai hao when you
ice it. That's a real shame.

Michael Plant

Mar 24, 2005, 12:49:06 PM3/24/05
Scott Dorseyd1usu6$e5d$1...@panix2.panix.com3/24/05 12:21kl...@panix.com

> Michael Plant <mpl...@pipeline.com> wrote:
>>
>> You cannot say, CTC Ceylon is really a better choice. What you can say is, I
>> prefer CTC Ceylon to Bai Hao. (Just clarifying.)
>
> Well, you lose so much of the delicate flavour of the bai hao when you
> ice it. That's a real shame.

Well, to my taste, even a milder version of a decent Bai Hao is nicer than a
richer version of a Ceylon, although I know there are many here who really
love Ceylon teas. I'd recommend at least trying it -- those who like iced
tea -- and making it strong so as to lose less of the flavor.

Michael

David LaBallister

Nov 10, 2005, 8:59:18 AM11/10/05
I have been a devoted Red Rose tea drinker since the old
days. To me it has now lost it's distinctive flavour and
tastes just like Salada. This is very unfortunate. Does
anyone else agree and is there anything we can do or is
this what happens when the big Yankee companies take over??
.

Richard Bornstein

Nov 12, 2005, 12:25:41 AM11/12/05
Yes, absolutely. I used to drink it exclusively, now i only use it if it is
given to me in a restaraunt. If you want to try something alot better, try
'King Cole' tea, with gauze. You can get it at Sobeys and Loblaws.

"David LaBallister" <dalaba...@rogers.com> wrote in message

sherry king

May 4, 2020, 7:00:04 PM5/4/20
I grew up in Canada & always drank Red Rose tea. Moved to a border town in the U.S & Red Rose tea here really sucks. Last time to Canada I got 3 boxes of RR tea & it is now tasteless. Wing Lee said it was different 15 yrs ago but it was the same to me. I will no longer buy it in either country. Now the border is closed so hoping I can find an enjoyable orange pekoe tea here in the U.S. Any ideas?

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/tea/canadian-tea-drinkers-red-rose-tea-what-happened-to-quali-226-.htm

Mack A. Damia

May 4, 2020, 7:52:21 PM5/4/20
On Mon, 4 May 2020 23:00:02 +0000, sherry king
<1e21fbd7004f7db6...@example.com> wrote:

>I grew up in Canada & always drank Red Rose tea. Moved to a border town in the U.S & Red Rose tea here really sucks. Last time to Canada I got 3 boxes of RR tea & it is now tasteless. Wing Lee said it was different 15 yrs ago but it was the same to me. I will no longer buy it in either country. Now the border is closed so hoping I can find an enjoyable orange pekoe tea here in the U.S. Any ideas?

PG Tips through Amazon.com.

Ed

Feb 26, 2021, 11:00:19 AM2/26/21
After 45 years of exclusive Red Rose tea drinking, I just got a box of the new blend. OMG, what have they done? It's horrible!

I think they just bought the name, and put it on some really bad tea that no one would otherwise buy.

I have dearly loved Red Rose tea exclusively since I was a small child. Now my heart is broken, and I am truly insulted. "Just like that", my beloved has been taken from me. I feel so violated...

I only hope she is she is now serving herself as a fine cup of tea for the Angels in Heaven.

Mack A. Damia

Feb 26, 2021, 1:05:17 PM2/26/21
On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 16:00:18 +0000, Ed
<8020b7b5b36b3391...@example.com> wrote:

>After 45 years of exclusive Red Rose tea drinking, I just got a box of the new blend. OMG, what have they done? It's horrible!
>
>I think they just bought the name, and put it on some really bad tea that no one would otherwise buy.
>
>I have dearly loved Red Rose tea exclusively since I was a small child. Now my heart is broken, and I am truly insulted. "Just like that", my beloved has been taken from me. I feel so violated...
>
>I only hope she is she is now serving herself as a fine cup of tea for the Angels in Heaven.

What usually happens is that a new generation of executives takes over
the company, and they start looking for ways to increase profits.

Using cheaper tea is one way.

Rowntree Fruit Pastilles has changed their recipe, and they are not
nearly as good. I complained to the company and got a weak excuse in
a reply - "We wanted to make it vegan"

Cathy

Mar 13, 2021, 2:00:23 PM3/13/21
Tetley has created a box of their own brand of "red Rose tea that looks similar and has the same name with modifications which probably makes it legal. It IS NOT the orginal "Red Rose" which is still available. This happened to me as well, Tetly is fooling peope into thinking it is the real "red rose". very unscrupulous.

Julie Adam

Apr 3, 2021, 4:15:05 PM4/3/21
I am facing the same issues recently regarding its different tastes. So during searching for its substitute I have found Adagio Teas Coupons and I have purchased this for the taste and this gives me the same pleasure, So from now onwards I am using this adagio tea.

Ex tea lover

Apr 3, 2021, 4:15:05 PM4/3/21
Exactly , it’s been my families tea for a couple generations and now it’s not drinkable !

MichelleBZ

Jul 11, 2021, 12:30:13 AM7/11/21
I just brewed a pot of Red Rose from a new purchase and was SSSOOOOO disappointed. Bitter, odd flavor so reminiscent of LIPTON, which I dislike very much! The old wonderful Red Rose, so smooth, flavorful, distinct is gone?

Weezer

Oct 20, 2021, 1:45:04 AM10/20/21
Maybe Twinings breakfast tea? It tastes like Lipton did 1950s