Guinness storage???

jcwr...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

i need a little help. anytime i've had Guinness its been in a pub, and
served at about room temp, i assume this is the proper way to serve it?
what would be the proper way to store Guinness (at home)? right out in the
open, or in a semi-cooled atomosphere, or in the frige?-and let it warm up
to room temp?

also im in the States, would you even recommend me buying it out of the
store? and if so bottles or (gasp) cans?

any other stout recommendations? bearing in mind that i'm in the States-on
the East coast (western new york to be exact)

email me back, and thanks in advance...

jonas

---------
"...And the Dead were judged by what was written in the Books,
by what they had done..." Revelation 20:12

------|Jonas C Wright|------
---|University @ Buffalo|---
--------|Grand Puba|--------

george gray

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97
to J Carter Wright

jcwr...@acsu.buffalo.edu wrote:

jonas

Guinness is best served at a temperture of 50-55 degrees All beer
should be stored in about this range. Lager are better served at a
temperture 42-46 degrees. Some great Stouts available on the east coast
are Ship Yard from Maine,Brooklyn chocalate stout from Brooklyn,Valley
Forge Imperial from PA, Neptune Black Sea Stout from NYC, Ipswich
oatmeal Stout from Mass. and Breckenridge oatmeal Stout from Buffalo
NY,

--
George Gray
Andy's Corner Bar

Kurt Zobenica

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

In <Pine.GSO.3.95.9703...@lictor.acsu.buffalo.edu>, jcwr...@acsu.buffalo.edu writes:
>i need a little help. anytime i've had Guinness its been in a pub, and
>served at about room temp, i assume this is the proper way to serve it?
>what would be the proper way to store Guinness (at home)? right out in the
>open, or in a semi-cooled atomosphere, or in the frige?-and let it warm up
>to room temp?
>
>also im in the States, would you even recommend me buying it out of the
>store? and if so bottles or (gasp) cans?

Clearly, Guinness is better on draught, but it's still good from the store. Don't
gasp about the cans-- they're better than the bottles. They've got special
cartridges in them that mimic the creamy draught-style head. A wee bit
pricey, but worth it, IMO.

Kurt
kzob...@ns.pcao.pima.gov

BeerFly

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

george gray wrote:

> jcwr...@acsu.buffalo.edu wrote:
>
> i need a little help. anytime i've had Guinness its been in a pub,
> and
> served at about room temp, i assume this is the proper way to serve
> it?
> what would be the proper way to store Guinness (at home)? right out
> in the
> open, or in a semi-cooled atomosphere, or in the frige?-and let it
> warm up
> to room temp?
>
> also im in the States, would you even recommend me buying it out of
> the
> store? and if so bottles or (gasp) cans?
>
> any other stout recommendations? bearing in mind that i'm in the
> States-on
> the East coast (western new york to be exact)
>
> email me back, and thanks in advance...
>
> Guinness is best served at a temperture of 50-55 degrees All beer
> should be stored in about this range. Lager are better served at a
> temperture 42-46 degrees.

Actually, George, Guinness recommends that the draught product (can or
keg) be served in a range more like lagers, the lower 40s. This was
something that caught me quite by surprise. Ask your local Guinness
wholesaler for a copy of their video, it's aimed at the retailer.
--
Lew Bryson
sms...@prodigy.com

Don Scheidt

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

jcwr...@acsu.buffalo.edu wrote:

>i need a little help. anytime i've had Guinness its been in a pub, and
>served at about room temp, i assume this is the proper way to serve it?
>what would be the proper way to store Guinness (at home)? right out in the
>open, or in a semi-cooled atomosphere, or in the frige?-and let it warm up
>to room temp?

Guinness isn't served at "room temp", but at *cellar* temperature.
Cellar temp is usually cooler than room temp, unless you keep your
room at around 55 deg F most of the time.

At home, it depends on the Guinness you buy; bottles do okay at cellar
(not room) temp, nitro-cans have specific instructions on 'em about being
cooled in the fridge, and opened while cold. Opening a nitro-can
kept at room temp can result in a bit of a mess, as the N2O comes out
of solution rather quickly.

>also im in the States, would you even recommend me buying it out of the
>store? and if so bottles or (gasp) cans?

The bottled product is not the same thing as the canned; the bottled
version is Guinness Extra, the canned version is Guinness Draught.
Buy one of each, cool them both to the appropriate temps, and compare
them side by side.
--

Don Scheidt, dgs...@teleport.com
also at: dgs...@cyberspace.com