What blade do you use - latkes?

Michael Horowitz

Dec 21, 2003, 1:42:05 PM12/21/03
For those persons who use their food processors to grate potatoes for
latkes, which blade do you use? I have tried the medium shredder blade
and it's too course. Would the fine grater (I don't see a medium
grater disc) be too fine? - Mike

rec.food.cuisine.jewish recipe archives
<http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj>

arlene

Dec 22, 2003, 1:30:24 AM12/22/03
Hi Michael,

I use the grater and then put some of the potatoes back in the processer
with the metal blade and process fine. The mix them both together in a
bowl.

Arlene

Sharon Gates

Dec 22, 2003, 10:34:05 AM12/22/03
I use the steel knife for the entire process. I put in 4 quartered
potatoes, a quartered onion and pulse until coarsely chopped. Then I add 3
eggs, salt and pepper and process for a bit - et voila!!!!! Yummy!
Sharon

Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Dec 22, 2003, 5:12:06 PM12/22/03
We like a more hearty latke, so I use the 2x2mm julienne blade, then roughly
chop up (by hand) the resulting strings. I use the regular blade for the
onions, and mix the whole shooting match up together with flour, seasonings
and eggs.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeads:penguintrax

<0
/O\
<><>

Need web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com

"Michael Horowitz" <mhor...@cox.net> wrote in message

Ari's Judaica Treasures

Dec 24, 2003, 7:22:00 AM12/24/03
Michael Horowitz <mhor...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<p749uv0ao0b7u3ejb...@4ax.com>...

The BRAUN food processer, as well as the CHAMP (European) both have a
Kugel blage. It looks like little bumps, and the taste is just like
hand grated.

Boy, does my husband (the official potato grater) like these machines!
It saves him serious work!
Devorah at Ari's Judaica
www.judaictreasures.com

Michael Horowitz

Dec 25, 2003, 3:15:41 PM12/25/03
a...@wynn.com (Ari's Judaica Treasures) wrote:

>Boy, does my husband (the official potato grater) like these machines!
> It saves him serious work!
>Devorah at Ari's Judaica

An no doubt, wear and tear on his knuckles - Mike

Kenneth Brody

Nov 10, 2009, 12:43:36 PM11/10/09
Michael Horowitz wrote:
> For those persons who use their food processors to grate potatoes for
> latkes, which blade do you use? I have tried the medium shredder blade
> and it's too course. Would the fine grater (I don't see a medium
> grater disc) be too fine? - Mike

When I "cheat" and use the food processor, I use the normal shredder blade
to processes everything. Then, dump out the shreds, replace it with the
normal blade, put everything back in the processor, and use short pulses to
cut things down.

If you use the "normal" blade too long, you lose all texture and end up with
paste, so use short pulses until things look and feel right. You can always
do this in smaller batches, so you don't end up with long strings in paste.

--
Kenneth Brody

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 13, 2009, 8:00:23 AM11/13/09
On Tue 10 Nov 2009 10:43:36a, Kenneth Brody told us...

> Michael Horowitz wrote:
>> For those persons who use their food processors to grate potatoes for
>> latkes, which blade do you use? I have tried the medium shredder blade
>> and it's too course. Would the fine grater (I don't see a medium
>> grater disc) be too fine? - Mike
>
> When I "cheat" and use the food processor, I use the normal shredder
> blade to processes everything. Then, dump out the shreds, replace it
> with the normal blade, put everything back in the processor, and use
> short pulses to cut things down.
>
> If you use the "normal" blade too long, you lose all texture and end up
> with paste, so use short pulses until things look and feel right. You
> can always do this in smaller batches, so you don't end up with long
> strings in paste.

That's method works for me, as well.

Wayne Boatwright