Re: [ADMIN] MINI-FAQ for rec.food.cuisine.jewish

Brian Mailman

Feb 15, 2010, 11:36:15 AM2/15/10
Brian Mailman wrote:

This mini-FAQ is posted twice monthly.

Please address suggestions for this mini-FAQ to the
moderation team,

rfcj-mods at zorch dot sf-bay dot org

(obviously, remove the spaces, and the "at" is "@," the "dots" are ".").

For a primer on kashruth, the laws of keeping kosher, see
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/kosherfaq.htm

Please note that this Usenet newsgroup is concerned only
with the most basic and universal definitions for kashruth (that is, no
pork or shellfish or other patently trayf foods, and no mixing dairy
with meat). For any issues beyond those basic parameters, please CYLHA
(Consult Your Local Halachic Authority) because community standards vary
widely and one cannot receive a definitive response from any but someone
qualified to posken for their community.

For details on our moderation policies and goals of this
newsgroup, see http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/charter.htm and
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/guidelines.htm although those two
documents are out of date. As the lawyers say, any differences between
those posted and this are superceded by this one. And always, if there's
any question, feel free to ask at the address provided below. This
mini-FAQ may be amended at any time, it should be reviewed periodically
to note any changes.

The moderation team can be reached by writing to

rfcj-mods at zorch dot sf-bay dot org

(obviously, the "at" is a "@", the "dots" are "." and no spaces)

The current moderators are
Brian Mailman
Maxine Wolfson

The moderators may post an administrative message from time
to time. These messages will be tagged with the Subject [ADMIN]. These
messages will more than likely be announcement-only, that is,
announcements to the group and not ncessarily discussion topics. Please
feel free to write to us concerning any kind of administrative issue,
the newsgroup is not the appropriate place to do so. Our door is always
open, and we're more than glad to discuss policy and adapt it as needed
as well as handle the normal administrative issue posters may have.

Howevever... if someone has a spamblocker on their email, OR
someone has a challenge-response (c/r) spam blocking system (one where
the team has to provide a confirmation in able to reply) the moderators
may choose not to answer. We're exposing our addresses, please respect
us and expose yours. If nothing else set the "Reply To:" in your mail
reader to your replyable address.

HOW IT ALL WORKS:

The 'Bot:
rec.food.cuisine.jewish is moderated Usenet newsgroup. The
moderation program is referred to as "the 'bot" (short for "robot
moderation").

When you submit a message, the 'bot will examine it for key
words or phrases that may signal a further human review. We are
constantly fine-tuning the 'bot so an occasional spam *will* slip
through. If you are reading this from a server where there is more than
one or two spams a year you may be reading this from a server where the
group is flagged as unmoderated. Please write to the moderators and let
us know.

If you have a replyable address, you'll get an
acknowledgement (an "ack") from the 'bot on how the submission was
processed, if you don't have a replyable address--then unfortunately you
won't receive one. Please provide a way to decode a replyable address
in your submission, so in case it is necessary the team can communicate
with you privately.

Rejections:
If the moderator who processes your message rejects the
message, she or he may or may not provide a personal explanation--which
is not official--in addition (IF there's an easy way to reply), but you
will always be given the main reason in a boilerplate from the 'bot.
These boilerplates are simply the usual reasons we reject a message, and
are only an approximation, so if you don't understand what it means,
please ask the team.

You will ALWAYS have recourse, whether to question the
reason the moderator gave, or to appeal the rejection outright to the
entire team, whether or not a moderator gives a personal reason.

The rejection notice will give instructions on how to appeal
(write to the team saying why you're appealing, and include the entire
text submitted and the rejection boilerplate. Do note, that if you do
not have a replyable address, you cannot receive notification of how
your message was processed so if you wish followup on why any one
particular message hasn't appeared in the group, you'll have to contact us.

"I Posted and Haven't Seen My Message":
If you make a submission and nothing happens for more than
48 hours (excluding Shabbat and holidays) write to us and we'll
investigate whether or not the message was rejected, or there was
something wrong with the transmission of the message. Posting something
will test the 'bot. If it's broken, the moderation team won't know
someone's not posting so let us know!

The Moderation Team,
rec.food.cuisine.jewish

rec.food.cuisine.jewish recipe archives