broiling with natural gas vs. electic

mm

Jan 24, 2010, 11:19:46 AM1/24/10
Not especially about Jewish recipes, I guess, but I thought you could
help.

Regarding broiling, is there a difference between gas stoves and
electric stoves. I like to get the fat hot and well done and crisp if
possible. Which is better, gas or electric?

Thanks.

rec.food.cuisine.jewish recipe archives
<http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj>

W. Baker

Jan 24, 2010, 1:35:54 PM1/24/10
mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
: Not especially about Jewish recipes, I guess, but I thought you could
: help.

: Regarding broiling, is there a difference between gas stoves and
: electric stoves. I like to get the fat hot and well done and crisp if
: possible. Which is better, gas or electric?

: Thanks.

Nothing profound here, but I prefer gas and the way it browns and crisps
up things.

Wendy Baker

Brian Mailman

Jan 24, 2010, 1:51:43 PM1/24/10
mm wrote:
> Not especially about Jewish recipes, I guess,....

Not a problem. While this group has had recipes posted in the past
couple of months, that's just what the group members have been
interested in. Our focus goes beyond that, and into all concerns of a
kosher kitchen.

B/, moderator hat raised but not put on

mm

Jan 27, 2010, 7:09:43 AM1/27/10
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:35:54 CST, "W. Baker" <wba...@panix.com> wrote:

>mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>: Not especially about Jewish recipes, I guess, but I thought you could
>: help.
>
>: Regarding broiling, is there a difference between gas stoves and
>: electric stoves. I like to get the fat hot and well done and crisp if
>: possible. Which is better, gas or electric?
>
>: Thanks.
>
>Nothing profound here, but I prefer gas and the way it browns and crisps
>up things.

That's what I thought. I've been stuck with electric for 26 years
now. Ugh.

There is no gas where I live, but I need a new furnace and was
considering putting in one that runs on LNG, I guess, that they
deliver to a tank outside the house, and then I could get a gas stove
too, I think.

Is that a good idea?

(My furnace and stove are both 30 years old, although the stove works
fine.)

W. Baker

Jan 27, 2010, 12:01:11 PM1/27/10

: >mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
: >: Not especially about Jewish recipes, I guess, but I thought you could
: >: help.
: >
[...]

: >Wendy Baker

Chesck out th eprice of the LPG. I have it for my hot water and stove in
my summer drip-dry home. I find the costs very high, but the results
good. I love the gas stove. Be sure if you go that way that you get a
stove that both self-cleans and has sealed burners. What a difference at
Pesach( got a Jewish reference in:-)

I have a simple Hotpoint which has only those bells and whistles. It does
not turn off automatically after a certain time so I have n problem with
leaving it on for Shabbat or Yom Tov.

Wendy

Susan S

Jan 28, 2010, 7:29:03 AM1/28/10
In rec.food.cuisine.jewish I read this message from mm
<NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com>:

>Not especially about Jewish recipes, I guess, but I thought you could
>help.
>
>Regarding broiling, is there a difference between gas stoves and
>electric stoves. I like to get the fat hot and well done and crisp if
>possible. Which is better, gas or electric?

A lot of cooks prefer gas for cooking on top of the stove and electric
for the oven, but as always, YMMV. There are a couple of differences
between gas and electric ovens: g vent more heat into the kitchen; e
interiors are drier than g. For broiling where you want something very
crispy, dry is better.

One way to make sure that your oven does not cycle on and off when
broiling because it gets too hot is to fashion something to hold the
door open slightly, something heatproof like an aluminum foil "snake".
You can use it over and over. Some oven doors will stay open slightly
on their own. A vented door also allows moisture to escape, which aids
crispiness.

Susan Silberstein

mm

Jan 31, 2010, 11:26:13 AM1/31/10
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:01:11 CST, "W. Baker" <wba...@panix.com> wrote:

>mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>: On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:35:54 CST, "W. Baker" <wba...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>: >mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>: >: Not especially about Jewish recipes, I guess, but I thought you could
>: >: help.
>: >
>: >: Regarding broiling, is there a difference between gas stoves and
>: >: electric stoves. I like to get the fat hot and well done and crisp if
>: >: possible. Which is better, gas or electric?
>: >
>: >: Thanks.
>: >
>: >Nothing profound here, but I prefer gas and the way it browns and crisps
>: >up things.
>
>: That's what I thought. I've been stuck with electric for 26 years
>: now. Ugh.
>
>: There is no gas where I live, but I need a new furnace and was
>: considering putting in one that runs on LNG, I guess, that they
>: deliver to a tank outside the house, and then I could get a gas stove
>: too, I think.
>
>: Is that a good idea?
>
>: (My furnace and stove are both 30 years old, although the stove works
>: fine.)
>
>: >Wendy Baker
>
>Chesck out th eprice of the LPG. I have it for my hot water and stove in
>my summer drip-dry home. I find the costs very high, but the results

I talked to one furnace guy recently and he said that LPG was even
more expensive than electricity for heating. More than oil or natural
gas too that means.

I think what I'm going to do is make some sort of rack to hold the
broiler tray closer to the heating element. I'm cogitating about the
design now. I wish I had thought of this 26 years ago. I guess I had
other things on my mind.

I'd like it either to be adjustable, or I need to try several heights
before I made a permanent rack. I may start with a cookie sheet.
Then I just need legs that will hook on or sit on the oven rack.

>good. I love the gas stove. Be sure if you go that way that you get a
>stove that both self-cleans and has sealed burners. What a difference at
>Pesach( got a Jewish reference in:-)

I could afford LNG for just the stove, but not for the furnace too**,
and it's not worth putting in LNG just for the stove. Plus I'd have to
buy a new gas stove and since I have harvest gold and can't get that
anymore, new or used, I'd have to replace the fridge too, which also
works fine after 31 years. This would have been a reason not to even
if LNG were cheap, but since it's expensive, it's too much of a reason
not to.

**After all, the stove may get real hot but it's a tiny space and only
for a few hours a week. The furnace output is only 85 or 90 but it's
enough to heat the entire house 24 hours a day. Even if it's only for
4 or 5 months a year, it must use 10 or 20 or 40 times what the stove
does.

>I have a simple Hotpoint which has only those bells and whistles. It does
>not turn off automatically after a certain time so I have n problem with
>leaving it on for Shabbat or Yom Tov.

Meir

mm

Jan 31, 2010, 11:38:30 AM1/31/10
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 06:29:03 CST, Susan S
<otoerem...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>In rec.food.cuisine.jewish I read this message from mm
><NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com>:
>
>>Not especially about Jewish recipes, I guess, but I thought you could
>>help.
>>
>>Regarding broiling, is there a difference between gas stoves and
>>electric stoves. I like to get the fat hot and well done and crisp if
>>possible. Which is better, gas or electric?
>>
>A lot of cooks prefer gas for cooking on top of the stove and electric
>for the oven, but as always, YMMV. There are a couple of differences
>between gas and electric ovens: g vent more heat into the kitchen; e
>interiors are drier than g. For broiling where you want something very
>crispy, dry is better.
>
>One way to make sure that your oven does not cycle on and off when
>broiling because it gets too hot is to fashion something to hold the
>door open slightly, something heatproof like an aluminum foil "snake".

The oven instructions say to leave it part-way open during broiling
and the oven is made that way. It took me a while to figure out why,
and the instructions didn't bother to explain it, so I wondered if
something could truly overheat if the door were shut, but then figured
out it's like you said, the broiler will go off if it gets too hot
inside and that's not broiling.

It's a Sears, probably made by Kenmore, about 31 years old, in
excellent condition.

>You can use it over and over. Some oven doors will stay open slightly
>on their own.

LOL

> A vented door also allows moisture to escape, which aids
>crispiness.

It's just not hot enough.

Not that closing the door and making it hotter would make it cook
better. Whatever that did wouldn't be broiling, even before the heat
turned off, I think. Is that right?

See my other post for my new plan.

Meir

W. Baker

Jan 31, 2010, 6:41:39 PM1/31/10
mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

: Meir

: > Wendy

If you want to get the food closer to the heating element(watch out for
fire!) just use a foil covered pan(for easy cleaning) with a rack like you
cool cakes or cokies on on top and lace this on the broiler pan.

I use this system in my gas stove rather than use the hard to clean
broiler pan that came with the stove and have few raks with slightly
different heights depending on the thickeness of the food to be broiled.

Adelle

Feb 6, 2010, 11:56:31 PM2/6/10

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
Meir -

My husband prefers electric for its constant, even heat. My sister and I
prefer gas for its flexibility and results. My new Sears stove has
convection for the oven - adding to that crispiness for fats. I have never
had better results with roasting than I am getting now with a convection
roast setting. Even baking has been typical - but roasting has been
superlative. When it is time to replace the stove, which has given you
yeoman's service, consider a model with convection in the oven for the
result you really desire with fat. Mine also has a shabbos setting.

But more to your point - my sister has electric heat and opted for propane
for cooking. The tanks are attached to the outside of the house and she
needs delivery about twice a year, I think. She is very happy with her
choice.

Propane does deliver fewer BTUs at a setting than natural gas. But a gas
stove/oven can be set for either kind of gas, with a little alteration
during installation.

Happy Cooking

Phil Sego

Feb 11, 2010, 8:12:52 PM2/11/10
In order to achieve a controlled browning on the surface, you may want to
try an industrial heat gun. I've been doing this to top off kugels with
perfect results!

I've seen TV chefs do this with small propane torches, but being unskilled
in cooking with a flame thrower, I worry about carbonizing instead of
lightly browning.

-- Phil

"Adelle" <adstavisa...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message