Potato Lotkes

Nick Cramer

Dec 7, 2009, 7:11:49 AM12/7/09
Potato Lotkes

4 large potatoes
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
2 heaping Tbs flour
1 tsp grated onion
1/2 tsp baking powder
dash of cinnamon

fat for frying

Peel the potatoes, grate on a fine grinder and pour off half of the liquid. Beat the eggs and mix them and the other ingredients (except the fat) into the potatoes. Drop by spoonfuls onto a hot, well-greased frying pan. Turn with a spatula to brown on both sides. Serve piping hot - frying pan to plate, with apple sauce or sugar.

For a lighter texture, replace one of the raw potatoes with a cupful of cooked, mashed potatoes

I copied this recipe from "the Jewish Home Beautiful," 3rd printing, 1945, published by the Women's League of the United Synagogue of America. I'm so happy to have been able to replace my earlier 1975 edition.

In addition to the 150 or so recipes, it's a delightful book.  It has both narrative and dramatic versions of the celebrations of the Holidays, with numerous (black & white) photographs and includes suggested music and Blessings in both Hebrew and English text.

It's available used from Amazon and others.