PEX and Sharkbite for the Win!

Sqwertz

May 25, 2022, 5:33:33 PM5/25/22
The housing that holds the water filter in the fridge cracked and
flooded the deli drawer, vegetable drawers, al;; the shelves, and
the floor overnight. Plus the water valve at he wall would not shut
off completely (extra fun!).

I've been too cheap to buy water filters for 8+ years and if you
just leave it out, the housing bypasses the need for one and flows
right back down into the ice maker (in most newest fridges -
otherwise you have buy a bypass plug).

What's the use buying ice maker water filters at $25/pop when I'm
filling up my glasses of ice with straight tap water from the faucet
anyway?

Why it decided to crack and leak all over the place when I haven't
even been jamming filters in there every 4-6 months for 8+ years is
a mystery. I totally blame Samsung. Fuck them (and I did in
arbitration last year).

A new water filter housing was $75-$100. Fuck that, too. This
fridge has been a PITA since 1 day after the 2-year extended
warranty expired. Why invest in a new filter housing for a filter I
don't use when this POS is just going to crap out beyond repair any
day now?

Rip out the filter housing in the upper right corner of the inside
of the fridge. Pull out the incoming and outgoing PEX water lines
though the back of the fridge.

Picture shows where the water filter housing would be inside fridge
at the point where the lines exit the back of the fridge:

https://i.postimg.cc/g2Jt5pG8/Water-Filter-Housing-Inside-Out.jpg

Cut the PEX lines down shorter since they don't need to stretch all
the way across the back of the fridge, run bleach water through the
lines you can to rid them of any nasties that accumulated in there
in the few days since this happened. Then slip on (literally - no
tools!) a Sharkbite 1/4" OD coupling ($4.50) in the lines that used
to go in/out of the water filter housing and viola!

https://i.postimg.cc/VN0GfFrN/Ice-Maker-Water-Reroute.jpg

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1-4-in-Push-to-Connect-x-1-4-in-Push-to-Connect-dia-Coupling-Push-Fitting/1000192625

Flush the water lines of icemaker by pressing the test button inside
the freezer 8-10 times and dumping that water. Now I have ice for
hopefully at least one more Texas summer. I've repaired this ice
maker 3 or 4 times now, not to mention the deli drawer rollers, the
freezer door springs, the cooling tower, and probably a couple other
things.

DON'T BUY A SAMSUNG FRIDGE. But they're all built by the same
standards these daze and many parts are interchangeable between
brands.

Then celebrate by having a 1 pound 1 ounce smoked beef short rib
(bone ripped out) that you simmered 30 minutes in a Foodsaver vacuum
bag.

https://i.postimg.cc/Hkhv1NLK/Beef-Short-Rib-Boil-in-Bag.jpg

The scale was zeroed out with the empty plate before the rib was
placed upon it. No C-Clamp involved.

-sw

Hank Rogers

May 25, 2022, 5:48:29 PM5/25/22
Sqwertz wrote:
> The housing that holds the water filter in the fridge cracked and
> flooded the deli drawer, vegetable drawers, al;; the shelves, and
> the floor overnight. Plus the water valve at he wall would not shut
> off completely (extra fun!).

Damn, it sounds like a john kuthe adventure saga.

You should have pissed on it at the start to make things better.

Bryan Simmons

May 25, 2022, 8:53:58 PM5/25/22
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 4:33:33 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> The housing that holds the water filter in the fridge cracked and
> flooded the deli drawer, vegetable drawers, al;; the shelves, and
> the floor overnight. Plus the water valve at he wall would not shut
> off completely (extra fun!).
>
> I've been too cheap to buy water filters for 8+ years and if you
> just leave it out, the housing bypasses the need for one and flows
> right back down into the ice maker (in most newest fridges -
> otherwise you have buy a bypass plug).

When our fridge icemaker quit working, we bought a
countertop unit. It gave up the ghost today. We've
had it for almost 3 years, and we use a lot of ice.
Over the life of the machine, it's cost less than $1 a
week, and has probably handled close to 1000
gallons of water.

Less than 3 years doesn't sound good, but the
Newair brand consistently gets the best reviews,
so it's a case of *the others are even worse*. So
it's either wait 9 days for a Newair, or get a
cheaper one that would probably last to
retirement (at most 2 years) that we can buy
tomorrow.

> -sw

--Bryan

Sqwertz

May 25, 2022, 9:06:24 PM5/25/22
On Wed, 25 May 2022 17:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 4:33:33 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> The housing that holds the water filter in the fridge cracked and
>> flooded the deli drawer, vegetable drawers, al;; the shelves, and
>> the floor overnight. Plus the water valve at he wall would not shut
>> off completely (extra fun!).
>>
>> I've been too cheap to buy water filters for 8+ years and if you
>> just leave it out, the housing bypasses the need for one and flows
>> right back down into the ice maker (in most newest fridges -
>> otherwise you have buy a bypass plug).
>>
> When our fridge icemaker quit working, we bought a
> countertop unit. It gave up the ghost today. We've
> had it for almost 3 years, and we use a lot of ice.
> Over the life of the machine, it's cost less than $1 a
> week, and has probably handled close to 1000
> gallons of water.

I thought about that and priced units at about $100 before I bought
this $4.50 connector. It's likely your in-freezer ice maker can be
fixed easily. What are the symptoms and what brand, style, year of
fridge?

> So it's either wait 9 days for a Newair, or get a
> cheaper one that would probably last to
> retirement (at most 2 years) that we can buy
> tomorrow.

Or just fix your native ice maker. It's likely that you can fix it
tonight barring a $10 replacement twist-tray that has cracked. In
that case, Amazon.

-sw

Bryan Simmons

May 28, 2022, 4:52:48 AM5/28/22
I appear to have fixed the countertop unit. So far,
so good. It seemed that calcium buildup was
creating friction between two plastic parts.

> -sw

--Bryan

Michael Trew

May 28, 2022, 9:55:15 PM5/28/22
On 5/25/2022 17:33, Sqwertz wrote:

> Then slip on (literally - no
> tools!) a Sharkbite 1/4" OD coupling ($4.50) in the lines that used
> to go in/out of the water filter housing and viola!
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/VN0GfFrN/Ice-Maker-Water-Reroute.jpg

I wouldn't trust those "push to connect" Sharkbite tools as far as I
could throw them. I've installed them, and I've seen them come apart
and make a big 'ole mess. No, not in my house, my plumbing is all
soldered copper (and galvanized); I used to install them when I worked
for a contractor. I'm currently putting crimp-on PEX into the house
that we are flipping. I don't like it, but with the price of copper
lately, it just makes sense.

> DON'T BUY A SAMSUNG FRIDGE. But they're all built by the same
> standards these daze and many parts are interchangeable between
> brands.

I've heard of several other folks having issues with Samsung
refrigerators. My Westinghouse refrigerator is still going like a
champ, since before Sheldon was born.

GM

May 28, 2022, 10:06:24 PM5/28/22
I HATE HATE HATE that name "Samsung", I will never buy a product
with that name, even if highly rated...

--
GM

Ed Pawlowski

May 28, 2022, 10:52:21 PM5/28/22
Had a Samsung fridge in the last house. liked it so much we bought a
nearly identical one here. No issues in 3 1/2 years

Samsung phone, Samsung TV 55", Samsung TV 40", Samsung soundbar.

GM

May 28, 2022, 10:55:59 PM5/28/22
I know, but that *name*...

Guess it's a wierd thing with me...

--
GM

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 11:00:48 PM5/28/22
But Ed, the idea was to make America great again.

--
André Malraux
<https://cdn.britannica.com/20/109120-050-C8214147/Andre-Malraux.jpg>

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 11:18:52 PM5/28/22
How about lucky goldstar (LG) korean brand?

Leonard Blaisdell

May 28, 2022, 11:19:44 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-29, GM <gregorymorr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I HATE HATE HATE that name "Samsung", I will never buy a product
> with that name, even if highly rated...

All my three TVs are belong to Samsung...but nothing else! Samsung gives
a lot of options for cutting the cord, and their TVs can be cheap. I have
everything ready to exit cable TV including "Hulu+Live TV". I have the way.
I just need the will. Fifteen years of mastering a U-Verse remote, menu,
etc., is hard to quit for an old man.
I hate learning new things. I've been doing it all my life. Enough!

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 11:30:47 PM5/28/22
On 29 May 2022 03:19:39 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2022-05-29, GM <gregorymorr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I HATE HATE HATE that name "Samsung", I will never buy a product
>> with that name, even if highly rated...
>

>All my three TVs are belong to Samsung...but nothing else!

Three Samsung TVs and you're a Trump fan? I'm hereby confiscating your
MAGA hat!

GM

May 28, 2022, 11:31:03 PM5/28/22
Fine, I like "LG"...

" Samsung " sounds like some kinda chink "Happy Meal" or something, infantile...

--
GM

Ed Pawlowski

May 28, 2022, 11:48:11 PM5/28/22
On 5/28/2022 11:00 PM, Andr� Malraux wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2022 22:52:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/2022 10:06 PM, GM wrote:
>>>
>>> I HATE HATE HATE that name "Samsung", I will never buy a product
>>> with that name, even if highly rated...
>>>

>> Had a Samsung fridge in the last house. liked it so much we bought a
>> nearly identical one here. No issues in 3 1/2 years
>>
>> Samsung phone, Samsung TV 55", Samsung TV 40", Samsung soundbar.
>
> But Ed, the idea was to make America great again.

We did. We shipped all the polluting industry overseas. Now we send
money and they send us TVs

dsi1

May 29, 2022, 12:16:58 AM5/29/22
At one time we were an all Korean appliance/car family. These days, we have an LG microwave and an LG dryer. I have to replace the drum rollers and the idler/tensioner in the dryer and the magnatron on the microwave. Good luck with cutting the cord. We did that over a decade ago and it has been hard sometimes. These days I don't need no stinkin' cable.

André Malraux

May 29, 2022, 12:49:26 AM5/29/22
Sounds like a deal.

Sqwertz

May 29, 2022, 3:06:08 PM5/29/22
You mean th external ice maker. I was talking about fixing your
built in ice-maker that doesn't need manual filling with water.

Please don't tell us you cleaned the mineral deposit with acid +
baking soda. It works for a 30-60 seconds before all the acid is
neutralized. "Scrubbing Bubbles" looks impressive but it's all
wrong.

-sw

Sqwertz

May 29, 2022, 3:22:00 PM5/29/22
On Sat, 28 May 2022 21:55:15 -0400, Michael Trew wrote:

> On 5/25/2022 17:33, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Then slip on (literally - no
>> tools!) a Sharkbite 1/4" OD coupling ($4.50) in the lines that used
>> to go in/out of the water filter housing and viola!
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/VN0GfFrN/Ice-Maker-Water-Reroute.jpg
>
> I wouldn't trust those "push to connect" Sharkbite tools as far as I
> could throw them. I've installed them, and I've seen them come apart
> and make a big 'ole mess. No, not in my house, my plumbing is all
> soldered copper (and galvanized); I used to install them when I worked
> for a contractor. I'm currently putting crimp-on PEX into the house
> that we are flipping. I don't like it, but with the price of copper
> lately, it just makes sense.

They're proven by third parties to be stronger and hold a higher PSI
and less failure rate than crimping PEX connectors. You just push
them twice to connect. Connect, turn the water back on, and push
then end(s) again both ends again.

If it fails I will promptly come back and say, "You told me so".
And I'd hate to do that so I'm pretty sure it won't fail.

>> DON'T BUY A SAMSUNG FRIDGE. But they're all built by the same
>> standards these daze and many parts are interchangeable between
>> brands.
>
> I've heard of several other folks having issues with Samsung
> refrigerators. My Westinghouse refrigerator is still going like a
> champ, since before Sheldon was born.

The plastic that they use all over the inside of the fridge for
wheels and slides, and most other parts SUCKS (Polystyrene, I
think). I made sure the Sharkbite coupling wasn't made of that.
It's only 1/4" OD with 60 PSI max.

And PEX outperforms copper in practically everything (except 'fear
of plastic').

-sw

Sqwertz

May 29, 2022, 3:30:57 PM5/29/22
Whet if Trump endorsed Samsung and told you to buy all their
products?

Trump supporters vastly prefer Samsung phones over iPhones. Anything
other and you're Hillary and/or Biden supporter.

-sw

Sqwertz

May 29, 2022, 3:35:22 PM5/29/22
On Sat, 28 May 2022 22:52:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Had a Samsung fridge in the last house. liked it so much we bought a
> nearly identical one here. No issues in 3 1/2 years
>
> Samsung phone, Samsung TV 55", Samsung TV 40", Samsung soundbar.

Ahh, but do you have a Samsung SGR-A1?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGR-A1

Poser!

-sw

Sqwertz

May 29, 2022, 3:47:04 PM5/29/22
You're gonna hat streaming services if you like buttons. TV's only
come with about 9 button on the remotes these days, and streaming
services only use 4 or 5 of them, And every streaming service uses
those buttons differently.

This is also why I download everything I want to watch use JUST the
built-in USB player. All the buttons on my Samsung remote work just
as they do with teh regular TV. No streaming interfaces to fuck
with. And the worst: Using your phone as a remote. Why in teh fuck
would I want to browse for shows I want to watch on 5" screen when
I've got a 55" screen right in front of me and I know where the
buttons are without having to look at the remote? And I don't where
the hell my phone is half the time.

The kids these days are so silly and impractical.

But all my phones except one is LG. My free Samsung A22 takes great
pictures and that's the only thing I use it for.

-sw

Sqwertz

May 29, 2022, 3:52:18 PM5/29/22
I think Dave has a Magnetron that he loves and hasn't needed
replacement for a few decades or more. Maybe he can hook you up with
one of her sisters.

-sw

Cindy Hamilton

May 29, 2022, 4:12:23 PM5/29/22
On 2022-05-29, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> On 29 May 2022 03:19:39 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> On 2022-05-29, GM <gregorymorr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I HATE HATE HATE that name "Samsung", I will never buy a product
>>> with that name, even if highly rated...
>>
>> All my three TVs are belong to Samsung...but nothing else! Samsung gives
>> a lot of options for cutting the cord, and their TVs can be cheap. I have
>> everything ready to exit cable TV including "Hulu+Live TV". I have the way.
>> I just need the will. Fifteen years of mastering a U-Verse remote, menu,
>> etc., is hard to quit for an old man.
>> I hate learning new things. I've been doing it all my life. Enough!
>
> You're gonna hat streaming services if you like buttons. TV's only
> come with about 9 button on the remotes these days, and streaming
> services only use 4 or 5 of them, And every streaming service uses
> those buttons differently.

My TV has about 4 or 5 buttons, not including the ones that say Hulu and
Netflix. The integration with streaming services is very nice. And
with our USB drive. The DVD player requires its own remote, but we
don't use that very often.

My only quibble is that I'd like the search functionality to be the same
on every service. Fat chance.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Sqwertz

May 29, 2022, 5:38:16 PM5/29/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 20:12:17 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2022-05-29, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>>> All my three TVs are belong to Samsung...but nothing else! Samsung gives
>>> a lot of options for cutting the cord, and their TVs can be cheap. I have
>>> everything ready to exit cable TV including "Hulu+Live TV". I have the way.
>>> I just need the will. Fifteen years of mastering a U-Verse remote, menu,
>>> etc., is hard to quit for an old man.
>>> I hate learning new things. I've been doing it all my life. Enough!
>>
>> You're gonna hat streaming services if you like buttons. TV's only
>> come with about 9 button on the remotes these days, and streaming
>> services only use 4 or 5 of them, And every streaming service uses
>> those buttons differently.
>
> My TV has about 4 or 5 buttons, not including the ones that say Hulu and
> Netflix. The integration with streaming services is very nice.

But every interface is different and would be difficult for people
who don't want to learn new buttons and interfaces.

Will you at least admit that? You're always beating around the bush
to imply you don't agree with what I said.

FTR: My main TV has ZERO buttons. But the Roku remote is very usable
with so few buttons. but that's only for the Roku interface. Once
you launch a channel through Roku, the buttons all work differently
on different services. It's a nightmare, IMO.

One thing, LEO, is that if you get a streaming stick or box, you
will get 1,000+ free "channels" wihtou having to pay HULU, but no
local OTA TV.

And you can get a streaming stick for as little as $15
(Android/Google 2K Streaming Stick at Walmart).

Don't ask me what "2K" is. Its not quite 4K but better than Full
HD. I don't think anybody has ever made 2K resolution TV or monitor
<shrug>). For another $5 you can upgrade that to 4K and it's box,
not a stick.

I have every common streaming stick, box, and caster. And I rarely
use any of them. Just a ROKU TV most of the time. A Roku TV can
integrate your OTA stations into a lineup with hundreds of other
free "channels". It also integrates the USB port on the TV for
watching downloaded (often "stolen/bootleg") stuff.

> My only quibble is that I'd like the search functionality to be the same
> on every service. Fat chance.

The top level Search feature for your streaming OS will usually have
a search feature, but returns results from services you don't pay
for or from apps you don't have installed. I was able to find
"Barbarella" a few days for free even though most of the results
were sites that wanted me to pay. Only the first 20 minutes are
worthwhile if you just want to see Jane Fonda's tits again.

The David Bowie version of "The Man Who Fell to Earth" was a waste
of time, though.

-sw

Sqwertz

May 29, 2022, 5:43:22 PM5/29/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 16:38:10 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> A Roku TV can
> integrate your OTA stations into a lineup with hundreds of other
> free "channels".

I should also note that the OTA channels are tuned into from your
external antenna connected to the co-ax port on the back of the TV.

-sw

Cindy Hamilton

May 30, 2022, 6:26:33 AM5/30/22
On 2022-05-29, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2022 20:12:17 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> You're gonna hat streaming services if you like buttons. TV's only
>>> come with about 9 button on the remotes these days, and streaming
>>> services only use 4 or 5 of them, And every streaming service uses
>>> those buttons differently.
>>
>> My TV has about 4 or 5 buttons, not including the ones that say Hulu and
>> Netflix. The integration with streaming services is very nice.
>
> But every interface is different and would be difficult for people
> who don't want to learn new buttons and interfaces.
>
> Will you at least admit that? You're always beating around the bush
> to imply you don't agree with what I said.

Heavens. It would be rude to come right out and say you're full of
shit. What am I--Sheldon?

> FTR: My main TV has ZERO buttons. But the Roku remote is very usable
> with so few buttons. but that's only for the Roku interface. Once
> you launch a channel through Roku, the buttons all work differently
> on different services. It's a nightmare, IMO.

Smart TV. No Roku. No streaming stick. No cable. No OTA. Just the TV
and the USB drive. The buttons on the remote work the same for every
streaming service and the USB. I think it's this one:

<https://www.amazon.com/UN43TU8200FXZA-UN55TU8000FXZA-UN55TU850DFXZA-UN65TU850DFXZA-UN75TU8000FXZA/dp/B09H49YT5B>

Yes, more than four or five buttons. We never use the three above the
ring and very rarely use the three at the bottom. Likewise the channel
up/down button.

There are piffling differences in the software interfaces between the
streaming services, but that's independent of the remote, and there's no
way of getting around that.

> The top level Search feature for your streaming OS will usually have
> a search feature

Perhaps it does. ISTR it returned so much useless crap I quit using it.

--
Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

May 30, 2022, 1:51:50 PM5/30/22
Samsung is a heck of a company. They got their mitts in everything. They are like the Siemens of South Korea. They build big boats. They recently announced their entry into the logical progression of computer gaming - a streaming game hub. My guess is that the end of the video gaming console and PC gaming is approaching.
I don't have a Samsung phone or TV. We have Samsung notebooks that we love. They're lightweight, fast, skinny things made with alloy bodies, have a high resolution, touch screen, and run cool. It's so great that we got 3 of them.
We used to have a Samsung refrigerator - we don't talk about that one. :)

Leonard Blaisdell

Jun 1, 2022, 12:18:16 AM6/1/22
I want to thank both you and Steve. I really, really don't want to
install an antenna. It seems so retro. I will if I become unhappy.
The remote on one of my TVs looks like your link, but it doesn't have
the three buttons below the volume bar. I'm comfortable with home-screen
navigation. The Hulu package supposedly includes unlimited storage.
We'll see if I need my own storage. I can do that.
I'll say goodbye to PBS, NBC local and probably Fox local. Meh.
I would get those with an antenna. I could give a **** for sports
channels. Although I can handle it, I don't like change anymore.
On the bright side, U-Verse costs me $238 per month and is going away. So
far, life will get cheaper on the TV side of life.
We subscribe to Netflix and the new version of Hulu. I just gotta gut-up
and dump U-verse. UPS knows what to do with their three, ten bucks per
month rental, DVR and satellites. I'm a phone-call away.
Thanks again to both of you. Valuable insight.

leo

Sqwertz

Jun 1, 2022, 12:57:19 PM6/1/22
On Mon, 30 May 2022 10:26:27 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2022-05-29, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>> FTR: My main TV has ZERO buttons. But the Roku remote is very usable
>> with so few buttons. but that's only for the Roku interface. Once
>> you launch a channel through Roku, the buttons all work differently
>> on different services. It's a nightmare, IMO.
>
> Smart TV. No Roku. No streaming stick. No cable. No OTA. Just the TV
> and the USB drive. The buttons on the remote work the same for every
> streaming service and the USB.

Now I KNOW you're full of shit. Everybody who uses streaming
services knows the buttons act differently for every service/app.

-sw

Sqwertz

Jun 1, 2022, 1:04:20 PM6/1/22
On 1 Jun 2022 04:18:09 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> On 2022-05-30, Cindy Hamilton <hami...@devnull.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-05-29, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> FTR: My main TV has ZERO buttons. But the Roku remote is very usable
>>> with so few buttons. but that's only for the Roku interface. Once
>>> you launch a channel through Roku, the buttons all work differently
>>> on different services. It's a nightmare, IMO.
>>
>> Smart TV. No Roku. No streaming stick. No cable. No OTA. Just the TV
>> and the USB drive. The buttons on the remote work the same for every
>> streaming service and the USB. I think it's this one:
>>
>><https://www.amazon.com/UN43TU8200FXZA-UN55TU8000FXZA-UN55TU850DFXZA-UN65TU850DFXZA-UN75TU8000FXZA/dp/B09H49YT5B>
>>
>> Yes, more than four or five buttons. We never use the three above the
>> ring and very rarely use the three at the bottom. Likewise the channel
>> up/down button.
>>
>> There are piffling differences in the software interfaces between the
>> streaming services, but that's independent of the remote, and there's no
>> way of getting around that.
>>

>>> The top level Search feature for your streaming OS will usually have
>>> a search feature
>>
>> Perhaps it does. ISTR it returned so much useless crap I quit using it.
>
> I want to thank both you and Steve.

We scared you away, eh?

> I really, really don't want to install an antenna.

Its not like you have to get up on the roof. You just need to screw
on an antenna to the back of the TV. They can be rabbit ears or
they can be flat panels you just out on the wall or table.

I use this, but it's overkill for some. And I'm not sure it does
much as the downstairs TV gets most of the same stations with the
same clarity with plain 'ol rabbit ears (whcih you do have to move
around).

https://www.terk.com/indoor-antennas/?sku=OMNITV5AZ

> U-Verse costs me $238 per month and is going away.

Holy Shit! Internet + TV + phone, I assume? That's still a lot.

I pay $75 for phone + Google 500Mb fiber.

-sw

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 1, 2022, 2:31:09 PM6/1/22
On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 11:18:16 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I'll say goodbye to PBS, NBC local and probably Fox local. Meh.
> I would get those with an antenna. I could give a **** for sports
> channels. Although I can handle it, I don't like change anymore.

Have you thought about Sling TV using a Roku stick??

> On the bright side, U-Verse costs me $238 per month and is going away. So
> far, life will get cheaper on the TV side of life.

Sling TV has an Orange package which is a lot of sports channels whereas
the Blue package has a lot of 'regular' programming. You can combine the
two if you wish or just choose the special channels you like for an added
monthly fee. But NO two year contracts, you can change your programming
every month if you choose without being locked in a 2 year agreement.

My Sling Anywhere box came with an antenna but I couldn't get any local
reception. I called Dish Network as they are the parent company of Sling
and had a roof antenna installed. Since I was a Sling customer the price
dropped from $149.99 down to $99.99 and he was able to use the satellite
wiring which made it a 15 minute job.

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 1, 2022, 4:23:37 PM6/1/22
The back button on my remote works the same for every streaming service.
The navigation ring on my remote works the same for every streaming
service.
The volume up/down/mute control works the same.

Everything else is managed by the various applications. There is no button
on the remote for fast forward or rewind. No button for pause.

The home button takes me back to Samsung's main navigation page.
The Netflix button brings up the Netflix app.
The Prime Video brings up the Prime Video app.
The Hulu button brings up the Hulu app.

I suppose the button with the microphone icon enables voice control, but
I've never fooled with that one.

There's a button for opening the setup menu.

I don't use the channel up/down button because I don't have cable or
OTA.

That's it. That's all the buttons on the remote. No numerics.

I looked at the various Roku remotes. My Samsung remote has even fewer
buttons.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Leonard Blaisdell

Jun 4, 2022, 12:26:22 AM6/4/22
On 2022-05-29, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> I should also note that the OTA channels are tuned into from your
> external antenna connected to the co-ax port on the back of the TV.

Best Buy, two miles from me, has Terks for sixty to eighty bucks. I know
how to hook up a co-ax. Dammit! Too many options. I'm going to get one.
Let's go full socialist, so "There can be only one!"

leo

Leonard Blaisdell

Jun 4, 2022, 12:47:17 AM6/4/22
On 2022-06-01, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> Have you thought about Sling TV using a Roku stick??

I haven't. Apparently Sling TV is to Dish Network what DirectTV is to AT&T
now. I got a bad taste in my mouth when I discontinued Dish Network
fifteen years ago and had to go up on the roof to remove their receiver.
I want to eliminate any equipment that I don't own. I may have to
purchase a DVR, but I'll own that. We'll see.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 4, 2022, 4:53:16 PM6/4/22
The antenna will be yours, you paid for it as will be the Sling box and Roku
stick. But I can understand your reluctance to have anything to do with Dish
again.

Sqwertz

Jun 10, 2022, 1:08:47 AM6/10/22
On Wed, 01 Jun 2022 20:23:31 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2022-06-01, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>>> Smart TV. No Roku. No streaming stick. No cable. No OTA. Just the TV
>>> and the USB drive. The buttons on the remote work the same for every
>>> streaming service and the USB.
>>
>> Now I KNOW you're full of shit. Everybody who uses streaming
>> services knows the buttons act differently for every service/app.
>
> The back button on my remote works the same for every streaming service.
> The navigation ring on my remote works the same for every streaming
> service.
> The volume up/down/mute control works the same.
>
> Everything else is managed by the various applications. There is no button
> on the remote for fast forward or rewind. No button for pause.

It's the down button on mos services.

I win. You Lose.

-sw

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 10, 2022, 4:31:33 AM6/10/22
I was arguing that the buttons work the same. You were arguing that
each service was different. You're contradicting your own argument.

--
Cindy Hamilton