? Rhode Island Clamcakes

Jules Jenson

Mar 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/8/96
to carp...@phoenixat.com
Hi-
I am from RI and I have my parents send me Kenyon's Clam Cake and
Fritter Mix. I will list the ingredients as that might help. But I
believe a fritter batter would work.

Flour, non-fat dry milk solids, stone ground corn meal, baking powder,
salt white pepper. Kenyon's address is Usquepaugh, RI. 02892.

Ever have them at Aunt Carrie's? There and the Newport Creamery are my
first stops when I go home. I even buy the Creamery relish and import
it to where ever I happen to be living. My parents think I am nuts.

Anne Jenson

Bernstein, R.

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
In article <4hmprc$6...@porthos.phoenixat.com>, carp...@phoenixat.com
(carpentr) wrote:

> Would anyone have a recipe for the clamcakes found in RI ? also looking
> for the recipe they ues on hot wieners.
> What can I say, I moved to FL and the food is awful down here!
> All the seafood is from warm waters.. REAL fishy tasting..yuck!
> They have no DIRT! only sand, so the vegies don't even taste right...
> sigh....

Hi there!

A voice from home! We moved to Virginia 20 years ago this Friday and I
still eat, dream, sleep clam cakes and chow-dah from the Portside in
Galilee. We're not going home this summer either, so it'll be a LONG haul
til I get them. Sorry, I don't have a recipe, but maybe if you called
George's, Portside, Aunt Carrie's, they'd give it to an expatriot-Rhody.
(I personally think Portside's are the best). About that weiner sauce -
it's got some sort of meat in it. Sorry, once again I don't know. Can you
get someone from home to stop by a weiner place and ask? I didn't have any
favorite joints up there - when we were visiting home and got the urge,
we'd just get in the car and drive til we saw a "NY System" on a pizza
place. And, how 'bout dough-boys, pizza strips, wandies, Portugese sweet
bread, *real* meatball grinders, and spinach pies, not to mention such
delectable items as baked stuffed quahogs, steamers, bay scallops, fried
clams rolls, and of course....lobster salad rolls. You're probably ready
to murder me right now. :) Hey, if *I* have to tortured living in clam
cake Never-Never-land, then everyone else gets to suffer along with me!
But one thing - DO YOU HAVE YOUR BOTTLE OF COFFEE SYRUP IN YOU FRIG?
That's a mandatory item when you move away. It's the ONLY taste of home we
get down in Dixie!

risa

GO URI!