What's for Dinner today?

Michael Trew

Sep 1, 2021, 11:41:22 AM9/1/21
Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
prewar cook book. I think they call it Cincinnati style? Ground beef,
onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.

I woke up cold today with the fan in the window, it's only in the mid
60's out unfortunately. It will hit a high of 70, but it's a day that I
surely wouldn't mind the extra heat in the house from a simmering pot.

What is everyone else having for dinner?

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 1, 2021, 1:00:49 PM9/1/21
On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 11:41:22 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
> pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
> prewar cook book. I think they call it Cincinnati style? Ground beef,
> onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.

Cincinnati style requires it be served over spaghetti. And, strictly
speaking, have cinnamon (and possibly cloves) in it. Husband's
from Cincinnati; although he likes his chili over spaghetti, he won't
touch it with cinnamon in it. I like mine in a bowl, with tortilla chips
for dipping.

> I woke up cold today with the fan in the window, it's only in the mid
> 60's out unfortunately. It will hit a high of 70, but it's a day that I
> surely wouldn't mind the extra heat in the house from a simmering pot.
>
> What is everyone else having for dinner?

Leftover poached shrimp on a salad, dressed with lime vinaigrette.

Cindy

jmcquown

Sep 1, 2021, 1:01:49 PM9/1/21
On 9/1/2021 11:41 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
> pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
> prewar cook book.  I think they call it Cincinnati style?  Ground beef,
> onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.

IIRC, "Cincinnati" chili includes cocoa powder. Or is it cinnamon?
Some such extra thing.
> I woke up cold today with the fan in the window, it's only in the mid
> 60's out unfortunately.  It will hit a high of 70, but it's a day that I
> surely wouldn't mind the extra heat in the house from a simmering pot.
>
> What is everyone else having for dinner?

I'm off work today so I'm thinking veal picatta for the main. I have
all the ingredients. Accompaniments to be determined later but I'm
leaning towards angel hair pasta and spinach.

Jill

S Viemeister

Sep 1, 2021, 1:28:47 PM9/1/21
Potato/leek/bacon soup, homebaked bread, and cheese.

jmcquown

Sep 1, 2021, 2:16:50 PM9/1/21
I really need to make some potato leek soup again soon. Thanks for the
reminder. No homebaked bread here but I can buy small freshly baked
sourdough 'boules' from the grocery store bakery, hollow it out and
serve and eat both the soup and the "bowl". :)

Jill

Snag

Sep 1, 2021, 2:44:52 PM9/1/21
My wife has requested pizza . My pleasure to oblige her !
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

Dave Smith

Sep 1, 2021, 4:28:41 PM9/1/21
That sounds good. I am wondering if, instead of cooking the spinach
separately, you could maybe just pour off the pasta water and
immediately throw the spinach into the hot pasta.

Michael Trew

Sep 1, 2021, 4:29:22 PM9/1/21
That sounds good, I haven't made shrimp in a while. I'm due for shrimp
scampi at some point here.

No cinnamon for me! But yes, it has 6 whole cloves in it. I didn't
realized that it was served over spaghetti in Cincinnati. Other than
cloves and chili powder, it calls for a bit of cayenne, paprika, a
couple bay leaves simmered in it, and salt. I add a bit of garlic and
onion powder, as well as some crushed red pepper flakes.

I forgot to mention that I chopped up a whole garden green pepper,
simmered with the garlic and onions, and quite a few garden roma
tomatoes diced up along side the cans of crushed tomatoes.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 1, 2021, 4:32:35 PM9/1/21
Mung bean tempeh.

Michael Trew

Sep 1, 2021, 4:34:13 PM9/1/21
On 9/1/2021 1:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/1/2021 11:41 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
>> pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
>> prewar cook book. I think they call it Cincinnati style? Ground
>> beef, onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.

> IIRC, "Cincinnati" chili includes cocoa powder. Or is it cinnamon? Some
> such extra thing.

I've heard cinnamon. I put cloves in it, as it calls for, but no thanks
on the cinnamon. I'm not sure what else one would call it, but the
whole cloves don't seem to be a 'normal' chili ingredient.

>> I woke up cold today with the fan in the window, it's only in the mid
>> 60's out unfortunately. It will hit a high of 70, but it's a day that
>> I surely wouldn't mind the extra heat in the house from a simmering pot.
>>
>> What is everyone else having for dinner?

> I'm off work today so I'm thinking veal picatta for the main. I have all
> the ingredients. Accompaniments to be determined later but I'm leaning
> towards angel hair pasta and spinach.
>
> Jill

I can't say that I've ever had it, but it sounds good!

Michael Trew

Sep 1, 2021, 4:34:46 PM9/1/21
On 9/1/2021 1:28 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
Potato soup is my favorite! Yum.

Michael Trew

Sep 1, 2021, 4:35:44 PM9/1/21
Made or bought? Sounds good either way! I can only do pizza a few
times a month, last was a few days ago. Someone offered it up for free
at work, and I won't turn down fresh pizza.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 1, 2021, 4:39:58 PM9/1/21
On Wed, 01 Sep 2021 16:29:17 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/1/2021 1:00 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Cincinnati style requires it be served over spaghetti. And, strictly
>> speaking, have cinnamon (and possibly cloves) in it. Husband's
>> from Cincinnati; although he likes his chili over spaghetti, he won't
>> touch it with cinnamon in it. I like mine in a bowl, with tortilla chips
>> for dipping.
>>
>>> I woke up cold today with the fan in the window, it's only in the mid
>>> 60's out unfortunately. It will hit a high of 70, but it's a day that I
>>> surely wouldn't mind the extra heat in the house from a simmering pot.
>>>
>>> What is everyone else having for dinner?
>>
>> Leftover poached shrimp on a salad, dressed with lime vinaigrette.
>>
>> Cindy
>
>That sounds good, I haven't made shrimp in a while. I'm due for shrimp
>scampi at some point here.

Shrimp scampi... I wonder what "scampi" means to you.

jmcquown

Sep 1, 2021, 5:41:58 PM9/1/21
I haven't decided yet. I might skip the pasta altogether and cook the
spinach in oil/butter with slivered garlic.

Jill

dsi1

Sep 1, 2021, 6:01:18 PM9/1/21
One thing's for sure - it's going to mean something completely different to you. It always does. This rock is famous for its garlic shrimp. Some people think it's shrimp scampi. It's not. It Hawaiian garlic shrimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anANWgwipJ4

Bruce 3.2

Sep 1, 2021, 6:08:22 PM9/1/21
On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:01:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 10:39:58 AM UTC-10, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Sep 2021 16:29:17 -0400, Michael Trew
>> <michae...@att.net> wrote:

>> >That sounds good, I haven't made shrimp in a while. I'm due for shrimp
>> >scampi at some point here.
>> Shrimp scampi... I wonder what "scampi" means to you.
>
>One thing's for sure - it's going to mean something completely different to you. It always does.

When in doubt or disagreement, I go to Wikipedia. The English one, so
all ya'll can read it too. But anyway, I was just curious what the
word meant to Michael.

Snag

Sep 1, 2021, 6:12:47 PM9/1/21
AAAAGGGHHHHH ! BOUGHT ? Well , no , it's homemade . The dough is on
it's second rise , the sauce is warming gently (I make big batches and
freeze it) and the Italian sausage and ground beef are browned and
waiting . The sliced black olives and sliced mushrooms (stems & pieces)
are draining , and the cheeses and pepperoni are awaiting their moment
of glory - an added bonus is fresh green peppers from our garden on hers
. My wife thinks I make the best pizza , but I personally thing
Tommy's Famous here in town has a bit of an edge .

dsi1

Sep 1, 2021, 6:14:44 PM9/1/21
The manly thing to do is to boldly proclaim with "scampi" means to you - first. Being bold and manly are good things.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 1, 2021, 6:26:59 PM9/1/21
Plus, they offer a mountain view.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 1, 2021, 6:33:59 PM9/1/21
On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:14:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
Scampi are langoustines. Nephrops norvegicus:
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/Nephrops_norvegicus.jpg/220px-Nephrops_norvegicus.jpg>

I'm pretty sure that's not what Michael meant. I think he either meant
"shrimp", in which case he told us he's going to make "shrimp shrimp"
or he's referring to a particular preparation.

John Kuthe

Sep 1, 2021, 9:45:24 PM9/1/21
Vegetarian STD Meal, green beans and carrots.

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Michael Trew

Sep 1, 2021, 11:34:00 PM9/1/21
Yum, sounds great!

Michael Trew

Sep 1, 2021, 11:38:34 PM9/1/21
When I make shrimp scampi, it's usually an oil/garlic "white" sauce with
cooking wine, after reduced, cook raw shrimp a few minutes or cooked
shrimp until heated, and mix with cooked pasta, "el"(sic) dente ;) -- I
might be forgetting something, I'm not sure.

Michael Trew

Sep 1, 2021, 11:39:04 PM9/1/21
Say again?

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 12:48:47 AM9/2/21
On Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:38:32 -0400, Michael Trew
So "scampi" is the preparation method.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 12:52:53 AM9/2/21

Michael Trew

Sep 2, 2021, 1:35:52 AM9/2/21
I've never heard of either, but I looked them up. Basically tofu made
of beans?

Michael Trew

Sep 2, 2021, 1:36:40 AM9/2/21
Yes, that's the only way that I've heard it used. Of course, I'm sure
it could have other meanings elsewhere that I'm not familiar with.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 1:46:47 AM9/2/21
On Thu, 02 Sep 2021 01:35:51 -0400, Michael Trew
Not tofu. Legumes of choice with an Indonesian jungle fungus grown
over and through them, which adds a lot to the flavour.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 1:48:11 AM9/2/21
On Thu, 02 Sep 2021 01:36:38 -0400, Michael Trew
It reminds me of when Dave says he's going to prepare scallops a la
coquille St. Jacques.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 2, 2021, 4:49:59 AM9/2/21
"alla griglia"

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 2, 2021, 4:53:02 AM9/2/21
It has passed that way into American argot.

Picture an American in an Italian restaurant, looking at
"scampi alla griglia" on the menu. "I'll have the scampi."
Eventually, the word "scampi" became associated with
that preparation.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 2, 2021, 4:53:46 AM9/2/21
Stinky, fermented, chunky tofu made of beans.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 4:56:40 AM9/2/21
It's strange that 'scampi' refers to the preparation when scampi are
langoustines. You must have eaten this creature before:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephrops_norvegicus#/media/File:Nephrops_norvegicus.jpg>

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 5:01:11 AM9/2/21
I don't find it stinky. While it's fermenting it has a nice smell, a
bit like when you're making beer at home. Tofu has nothing to do with
it.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 5:02:39 AM9/2/21
That's like seeing fried chicken in a restaurant and then calling a
chicken a fried.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 2, 2021, 6:03:23 AM9/2/21
Perhaps. They live in the eastern Atlantic and the Med, rather
than the western Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, which is where
most of my seafood comes from.

I've eaten these:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish#North_America>

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 2, 2021, 6:05:04 AM9/2/21
Not precisely, since "fried" is an English word, and thus would be
familiar to the hypothetical American diner.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 7:11:25 AM9/2/21
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 03:03:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 4:56:40 AM UTC-4, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 01:49:56 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >"alla griglia"
>> It's strange that 'scampi' refers to the preparation when scampi are
>> langoustines. You must have eaten this creature before:
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephrops_norvegicus#/media/File:Nephrops_norvegicus.jpg>
>
>Perhaps. They live in the eastern Atlantic and the Med, rather
>than the western Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, which is where
>most of my seafood comes from.
>
>I've eaten these:
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish#North_America>

Australian lobsters are actually crayfish.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 2, 2021, 7:12:01 AM9/2/21
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 03:05:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 5:02:39 AM UTC-4, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 01:52:58 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >It has passed that way into American argot.
>> >
>> >Picture an American in an Italian restaurant, looking at
>> >"scampi alla griglia" on the menu. "I'll have the scampi."
>> >Eventually, the word "scampi" became associated with
>> >that preparation.
>> That's like seeing fried chicken in a restaurant and then calling a
>> chicken a fried.
>
>Not precisely

No, not precisely.

Ophelia

Sep 2, 2021, 10:49:02 AM9/2/21
On 01/09/2021 18:28, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 01/09/2021 16:41, Michael Trew wrote:
>> Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
>> pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
>> prewar cook book.  I think they call it Cincinnati style?  Ground
>> beef, onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.
>>
>> I woke up cold today with the fan in the window, it's only in the mid
>> 60's out unfortunately.  It will hit a high of 70, but it's a day that
>> I surely wouldn't mind the extra heat in the house from a simmering pot.
>>
>> What is everyone else having for dinner?
>
> Potato/leek/bacon soup, homebaked bread, and cheese.

==

Yum!

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 2, 2021, 12:36:55 PM9/2/21

bruce bowser

Sep 2, 2021, 1:33:00 PM9/2/21
It sounds and is almost pronounced the same was as the greek "frit" word, though.

tert in seattle

Sep 2, 2021, 2:30:06 PM9/2/21
michae...@att.net writes:
>Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
>pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
>prewar cook book. I think they call it Cincinnati style? Ground beef,
>onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.
>
>I woke up cold today with the fan in the window, it's only in the mid
>60's out unfortunately. It will hit a high of 70, but it's a day that I
>surely wouldn't mind the extra heat in the house from a simmering pot.
>
>What is everyone else having for dinner?

I had rice with kimchi which wasn't enough so later I had a bacon and
cheddar omelet

Ophelia

Sep 2, 2021, 2:31:43 PM9/2/21
Hallo tert!

(waving)

tert in seattle

Sep 2, 2021, 3:00:06 PM9/2/21
hi!

bruce bowser

Sep 2, 2021, 5:27:44 PM9/2/21
I'd have added mushrooms and onions to that.

jmcquown

Sep 2, 2021, 6:13:32 PM9/2/21
You were fooled. That wasn't Ophelia, unless she changed her email name
to Wayne Boatright and started posting using Google.

Jill

tert in seattle

Sep 2, 2021, 6:30:07 PM9/2/21
oh yeah thanks for the reminder why I left

jmcquown

Sep 2, 2021, 6:42:34 PM9/2/21
Please don't slink off. Stand and fight! I enjoy your posts.

Jill

Hank Rogers

Sep 2, 2021, 7:47:29 PM9/2/21
So, show us your tits, Jill!

Ophelia

Sep 3, 2021, 6:12:55 AM9/3/21
===

LOL I did say hi, but not there, so you were right, that was not me:))

bruce bowser

Sep 3, 2021, 3:16:52 PM9/3/21
Seriously? Must you really beg people to stay here?

Michael Trew

Sep 3, 2021, 4:33:50 PM9/3/21
If the forgers have their way, there won't be anyone left but them. I
enjoy this newsgroup because it is still so active, and somewhat still
on topic.

bruce bowser

Sep 3, 2021, 5:48:52 PM9/3/21
In some more narrowly curtailed newsgroups, yes. But newsgroups that are extremely well known, like alt atheism, alt home.repair, talk.politics.guns, etc.. attract such a broad paintbrush of people on a regular basis on such a scale that small groups of people can make a serious impact.

Hank Rogers

Sep 3, 2021, 7:23:47 PM9/3/21
The good news is they will eventually reach critical mass, then
fission will immediately commence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fission

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 4, 2021, 4:49:25 AM9/4/21
On 2021-09-02, Bruce 3.2 <Bro...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Australian lobsters are actually crayfish.

Good Lord! You can't even spell crawdad correctly.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 4, 2021, 5:02:20 AM9/4/21
On 4 Sep 2021 08:49:19 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
According to
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/crawdad
crawdad is "a US dialect form of crayfish".

Are you expecting me to speak a colonial dialect? :)

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 4, 2021, 5:53:11 AM9/4/21
On 2021-09-04, Bruce 3.2 <Bro...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Are you expecting me to speak a colonial dialect? :)

Y'all (notice the spelling) are expected to communicate properly with us
colonials. Get it together!

Bruce 3.2

Sep 4, 2021, 7:02:24 AM9/4/21
On 4 Sep 2021 09:53:05 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
But this is an international newsgroup. One can hardly start speaking
a regional dialect in such a cosmopolitan context.

Gary

Sep 4, 2021, 7:58:24 AM9/4/21
Michael wrote:
> If the forgers have their way, there won't be anyone left but them. I
> enjoy this newsgroup because it is still so active, and somewhat still
> on topic.

"Somewhat still on topic." Nice to talk about food and cooking. Heck,
everyone eats and cooks. It's nice to hear meal plans too.

I like the diversity of topics too. If all we talked about was food,
this group would die out from boredom like most of the other food groups
did.

Nice to be able to talk about anything just like any group of people
normally do.

Most prevalent thing here are all the arguments about everything.
A more appropriate name for this newsgroup would be RFB.
That's rec.food.bickering

jmcquown

Sep 4, 2021, 8:45:44 AM9/4/21
When I discovered RFC it was known as "The Chaotic Kitchen".

Jill

Michael Trew

Sep 4, 2021, 10:15:51 PM9/4/21
Many of those are spammed up to high heaven. I spend a good deal of
time compiling a small list of NG's that I regularly visit that aren't
all garbage like alt.politics. I see very few rare people from this
group, or even other groups, posting in different groups that I use.
Most are completely different groups of people.

Michael Trew

Sep 4, 2021, 11:02:37 PM9/4/21
That's a fair point. Apparently no one has read Victor's dated monthly
update post. It has lots of conversions, word explanations, etc for us
to all understand each other.

odlayo

Sep 5, 2021, 6:19:21 PM9/5/21
On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 10:41:22 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
> pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
> prewar cook book. I think they call it Cincinnati style? Ground beef,
> onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.

As others have pointed out, Cincinnati-style chili usually has a pronounced cinnamon flavor and is almost invariably served over spaghetti. Cincinnati-style chili is not made with beans, but those can be ordered as an add-on if desired.

I've only eaten chili in Cincinnati a few times ("five way": over spaghetti, with beans, onions, and shredded cheese) and find it an interesting variation, but it's certainly not a favorite of mine. For what it's worth, I much prefer Chili Time over the more famous Skyline with its over-the-top cinnamon profile.

Speaking of cinnamon and chili, is anyone familiar with the combination of chili served with cinnamon rolls? It seems to have started around mid-century in Midwestern school cafeterias.

The Midwest is Obsessed with This Sweet and Savory Pairing
https://www.bhg.com/recipes/soup/chili-with-cinnamon-rolls/

dsi1

Sep 5, 2021, 7:02:57 PM9/5/21
Good article. Thanks.

Michael Trew

Sep 5, 2021, 9:24:24 PM9/5/21
I've never heard of it. I'd try it; why not.

bruce bowser

Sep 6, 2021, 3:00:47 AM9/6/21
Cinnamon rolls reminds me of the Breaking Bad prequel "Better Call Saul". Which got seven Emmy nominations back in 2020.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 6, 2021, 5:49:37 AM9/6/21
On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 6:19:21 PM UTC-4, odlayo wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 10:41:22 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> > Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
> > pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
> > prewar cook book. I think they call it Cincinnati style? Ground beef,
> > onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.
> As others have pointed out, Cincinnati-style chili usually has a pronounced cinnamon flavor and is almost invariably served over spaghetti. Cincinnati-style chili is not made with beans, but those can be ordered as an add-on if desired.
>
> I've only eaten chili in Cincinnati a few times ("five way": over spaghetti, with beans, onions, and shredded cheese) and find it an interesting variation, but it's certainly not a favorite of mine. For what it's worth, I much prefer Chili Time over the more famous Skyline with its over-the-top cinnamon profile.

Yeah. The last time I set foot in Skyline, I couldn't even tolerate the
smell long enough to order a beverage and get back on I-75.

> Speaking of cinnamon and chili, is anyone familiar with the combination of chili served with cinnamon rolls? It seems to have started around mid-century in Midwestern school cafeterias.
>
> The Midwest is Obsessed with This Sweet and Savory Pairing
> https://www.bhg.com/recipes/soup/chili-with-cinnamon-rolls/

The Midwest is a big place. I've lived there for 64 years and never heard
of this particular atrocity.

Cindy Hamilton

Michael Trew

Sep 6, 2021, 12:10:39 PM9/6/21
I watched every Breaking Bad episode; I really liked that series. I
remember when that prequel coming out, but I never actually watched it.
I really should get to that.

bruce bowser

Sep 6, 2021, 12:24:56 PM9/6/21
I looked at some of the first two seasons of "Better Call Saul". Its mostly a prequel, but a lot of its a sequel, too. Its one big before and after with some scenes from Breaking Bad that were and weren't shown. It explains a lot.
Message has been deleted

odlayo

Sep 6, 2021, 2:57:18 PM9/6/21
I've never seen the combo served despite being on the lookout. I don't expect to particularly like it, but I always like to try the local oddities. I think the combination is more common in the West-Central Midwest: Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota.

Runza, the Nebraska-based chain, features chili and cinnamon rolls (in addition to their signature runzas, also known as bierocks). I've only been in Runza territory in the warmer months, when chili isn't on the menu.

Runza Ad for Chili & Cinnamon Rolls
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/kearneyhub.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/81/281336c0-67fb-11eb-b110-cf1652cc5b0d/601dbd15b00e4.image.jpg

Thomas

Sep 7, 2021, 6:31:47 PM9/7/21
On Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 2:30:06 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
> michae...@att.net writes:
> >Perhaps a little bit preliminary for some, but I'm starting on a nice
> >pot of chili con carne, the same way that I usually make it from that
> >prewar cook book. I think they call it Cincinnati style? Ground beef,
> >onion, garlic, red kidney beans, pinto, and seasoning.
> >
> >I woke up cold today with the fan in the window, it's only in the mid
> >60's out unfortunately. It will hit a high of 70, but it's a day that I
> >surely wouldn't mind the extra heat in the house from a simmering pot.
> >
> >What is everyone else having for dinner?
> I had rice with kimchi which wasn't enough so later I had a bacon and
> cheddar omelet
Tert fucking nailing once again.

dsi1

Sep 7, 2021, 6:37:18 PM9/7/21
On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 6:48:47 PM UTC-10, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:38:32 -0400, Michael Trew
> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>
> >On 9/1/2021 4:39 PM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

> >> Shrimp scampi... I wonder what "scampi" means to you.
> >
> >When I make shrimp scampi, it's usually an oil/garlic "white" sauce with
> >cooking wine, after reduced, cook raw shrimp a few minutes or cooked
> >shrimp until heated, and mix with cooked pasta, "el"(sic) dente ;) -- I
> >might be forgetting something, I'm not sure.
> So "scampi" is the preparation method.

I ordered some shrimp scampi today. I didn't know what I'd be getting since it's usually called garlic shrimp on this rock. What I got was more like Hawaiian garlic shrimp. The shrimp was kind of tough. If I ordered this in an Italian restaurant, I'd get peeled shrimp in garlic sauce on top of pasta. If I ordered a shrimp scampi in your town, I'd probably get a puzzled look because it's probably called prawn scampi or some other weird thing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/atmF5cjwhm13VcYMA

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 7, 2021, 6:43:54 PM9/7/21
On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 5:37:18 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> I ordered some shrimp scampi today. If I ordered a shrimp scampi in your
> town, I'd probably get a puzzled look because it's probably called prawn
> scampi or some other weird thing.

No, you'd get shrimp scampi on mainland USA and that's how it would be listed
on the menu.

dsi1

Sep 7, 2021, 6:57:11 PM9/7/21
The sure sign of a contrarian - starting a sentence with a "No,."
I know what mainland shrimp scampi is - I ain't some hick retard. Your attempt to be condescending is just silly. I was referring to this dish in Australia, not the mainland.

Dave Smith

Sep 7, 2021, 7:03:40 PM9/7/21
You might want to check the meaning of "contrarian". You falsley
suggested that a shrimp and garlic dish would be called Prawn Scampi on
the mainland. itsjoan corrected you about how it would be listed on the
menu. She is basing that on common practice in the mainland US, and that
is the exact opposite of a contrarian.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 7, 2021, 7:30:49 PM9/7/21
On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 15:37:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:
Yes, shrimp are called prawns here. If they use 'shrimp' here, it
would be for the tiny ones, I think. 'Shrimp scampi' is weird. It's
like saying "I had chicken turkey today". And that all the Americans
understand that this refers to a special method of preparing chicken.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 7, 2021, 7:33:38 PM9/7/21
Scampi is the plural of scampo. A scampo is a Nephrops norvegicus, or
Norway lobster or langoustine. 'Shrimp scampi' means 'Shrimp
langoustines'. You guys butcher languages and the meaning of words.
Enjoy!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 7, 2021, 7:41:14 PM9/7/21
That's why I specified "mainland USA." Put your chopsticks away, no one is being
condescending.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 7, 2021, 7:42:04 PM9/7/21
On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 19:03:48 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2021-09-07 6:57 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 12:43:54 PM UTC-10,
>> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

>>> No, you'd get shrimp scampi on mainland USA and that's how it would
>>> be listed on the menu.
>>
>> The sure sign of a contrarian - starting a sentence with a "No,." I
>> know what mainland shrimp scampi is - I ain't some hick retard. Your
>> attempt to be condescending is just silly. I was referring to this
>> dish in Australia, not the mainland.
>
>You might want to check the meaning of "contrarian". You falsley
>suggested that a shrimp and garlic dish would be called Prawn Scampi on
>the mainland.

No, in Australia. dsi1 was replying to me, so "in your town" meant in
my Australian town. And he was right that shrimp are called prawns
here.

Michael Trew

Sep 7, 2021, 11:52:11 PM9/7/21
> I ordered some shrimp scampi today. I didn't know what I'd be getting since it's usually called garlic shrimp on this rock. What I got was more like Hawaiian garlic shrimp. The shrimp was kind of tough. If I ordered this in an Italian restaurant, I'd get peeled shrimp in garlic sauce on top of pasta.. If I ordered a shrimp scampi in your town, I'd probably get a puzzled look because it's probably called prawn scampi or some other weird thing.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/atmF5cjwhm13VcYMA

That looks good!

"Garlic shrimp".. that was a far easier explanation that my last one;
I'll stick with that next time.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 7, 2021, 11:54:20 PM9/7/21
On Tue, 07 Sep 2021 23:52:09 -0400, Michael Trew
Have you ever tried chicken turkey?

Graham

Sep 7, 2021, 11:56:29 PM9/7/21
Do you mean turkey-fried chicken?

Bruce 3.2

Sep 8, 2021, 12:00:22 AM9/8/21
That's an interesting concept too, but I meant chicken turkey, the
turf equivalent of shrimp scampi.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 8, 2021, 10:54:49 AM9/8/21
On Tue, 07 Sep 2021 23:52:09 -0400, Michael Trew
Can't be too good, all I see is GOO-gle. WTF can't yoose dumb NOOBIE
bastards find a better way to post pictures?

joe

Sep 8, 2021, 11:28:47 AM9/8/21
In article <fcjhjghedd6h7ggqu...@4ax.com>, penm...@aol.com says...
Says the clueless asshat that still uses AOL. The pic link works fine.

dsi1

Sep 8, 2021, 1:37:04 PM9/8/21
My wife came in with the plate this morning and said "this is not shrimp scampi, shrimp scampi means noodles, I'm so disappointed." I think she's right about that. Well, now we know about that restaurant's "shrimp scampi." My wife thinks it's an okay garlic shrimp plate and I think the shrimp was too rubbery.

dsi1

Sep 8, 2021, 1:40:27 PM9/8/21
My guess is that Google is not friendly to uncle. Interesting - what the heck did you do to them?

Michael Trew

Sep 8, 2021, 1:41:59 PM9/8/21
Here Sheldon, I took a screen shot and saved then re-posted for you.
This is what I see when I click on David's links; I have no clue what
you see.

https://postimg.cc/CRW3HkFc

GM

Sep 8, 2021, 1:45:51 PM9/8/21
Sheldon is lacking *nothing* by not seeing your pic, Poi Boi, it's your typical
crummy "work"...that plate looks vewy vewy greazy, matter 'o fact...just sayin'...

--
GM

Dave Smith

Sep 8, 2021, 1:51:41 PM9/8/21
On 2021-09-08 1:37 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 5:52:11 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew

>> "Garlic shrimp".. that was a far easier explanation that my last
>> one; I'll stick with that next time.
>
> My wife came in with the plate this morning and said "this is not
> shrimp scampi, shrimp scampi means noodles, I'm so disappointed." I
> think she's right about that. Well, now we know about that
> restaurant's "shrimp scampi." My wife thinks it's an okay garlic
> shrimp plate and I think the shrimp was too rubbery.

Shrimp scampi is often served with pasta as an entree. You can use some
other starch. There is no pasta when served as an appetizer.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 8, 2021, 2:09:06 PM9/8/21
On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 1:37:04 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> My wife came in with the plate this morning and said "this is not shrimp scampi, shrimp scampi means noodles,
I'm so disappointed." I think she's right about that. Well, now we know about that restaurant's "shrimp scampi." My wife thinks it's an okay garlic shrimp plate and I think the shrimp was too rubbery.

Your wife is incorrect. Although scampi alla griglia is often served with pasta,
it is not a requirement. As far as I'm concerned, that's a cheap trick on the
part of restaurants.

I prefer it served with fresh bread, so I can sop up the sauce.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Sep 8, 2021, 3:40:25 PM9/8/21
On 9/8/2021 2:09 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I prefer it served with fresh bread, so I can sop up the sauce.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Good for those thunder thighs.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 8, 2021, 3:51:11 PM9/8/21
On Wed, 08 Sep 2021 10:54:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
Works normally here. I bet there's only one bastard in RFC who has a
problem with it.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 8, 2021, 4:08:14 PM9/8/21
No scampi either.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 8, 2021, 4:17:44 PM9/8/21
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 11:09:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 1:37:04 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> My wife came in with the plate this morning and said "this is not shrimp scampi, shrimp scampi means noodles,
>I'm so disappointed." I think she's right about that. Well, now we know about that restaurant's "shrimp scampi." My wife thinks it's an okay garlic shrimp plate and I think the shrimp was too rubbery.
>
>Your wife is incorrect. Although scampi alla griglia is often served with pasta,
>it is not a requirement.

It's also not scampi.

Ophelia

Sep 8, 2021, 4:23:25 PM9/8/21