How long does uncooked fresh egg noodle last in the fridge?

amandaF

Sep 6, 2008, 3:14:54 PM9/6/08
I have kept uncooked fresh egg noodle up to a month and it was fine.
But I am wondering whether it can be kept longer or should I freeze
instead. The reason is that I can only get this in the other side of
town and it''s not worth the gas expense to go there often especially
since I don't get my vegies there anymore and get them form a farmer's
market. Theses fresh veggies do last longer.

So should I freeze those uncooked fresh egg noodle?

Message has been deleted

Victor Sack

Sep 6, 2008, 5:55:29 PM9/6/08
amandaF <aman...@gmail.com> wrote:

It is usually not a good idea to buy fresh egg pasta in the first place
and certainly not a good idea to keep it refrigerated or frozen.

Here is what Giuliano Hazan writes in _The Classic Pasta Book_:
<quote>
The so-called "fresh pasta" found in refrigerator compartments of
supermarkts and speciality shops is egg pasta at its worst. The noodles
are usually too thick, the dough is made with semolina, which is much
too hard a flour for egg pasta, and it is refrigerated so that it can be
called "fresh". In fact, you should avoid cold ingredients or cold
surfaces when making it, and the best way to store it is to let it dry
completely whether pasta is "fresh" or not. There is no discernible
difference between pasta used immediately after it is made, while still
moist, and pasta that has dried completely and been stored for several
weeks. If you must buy egg pasta, look for packaged noodles that have
been dried and curled into nests and check the ingredients to make sure
they are made with eggs.
</quote>

Victor

Giusi

Sep 7, 2008, 4:54:15 AM9/7/08
"Victor Sack" <azaz...@koroviev.de> ha scritto nel messaggio > It is
usually not a good idea to buy fresh egg pasta in the first place
> and certainly not a good idea to keep it refrigerated or frozen.
>
> Here is what Giuliano Hazan writes in _The Classic Pasta Book_:
> <quote>
> The so-called "fresh pasta" found in refrigerator compartments of
> supermarkts and speciality shops is egg pasta at its worst. The noodles
> are usually too thick, the dough is made with semolina, which is much
> too hard a flour for egg pasta, and it is refrigerated so that it can be
> called "fresh". In fact, you should avoid cold ingredients or cold
> surfaces when making it, and the best way to store it is to let it dry
> completely whether pasta is "fresh" or not. There is no discernible
> difference between pasta used immediately after it is made, while still
> moist, and pasta that has dried completely and been stored for several
> weeks. If you must buy egg pasta, look for packaged noodles that have
> been dried and curled into nests and check the ingredients to make sure
> they are made with eggs.
> </quote>
>
> Victor

I find that misleading. None of the shops here use hard wheat flour to make
egg pasta. Why would they? It costs 3-4 times as much as soft wheat flour!

Victor Sack

Sep 7, 2008, 6:38:37 AM9/7/08
Giusi <decob...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Victor Sack" <azaz...@koroviev.de> ha scritto nel messaggio >
> >
> > It is
> > usually not a good idea to buy fresh egg pasta in the first place
> > and certainly not a good idea to keep it refrigerated or frozen.
> >
> > Here is what Giuliano Hazan writes in _The Classic Pasta Book_:
> > <quote>
> > The so-called "fresh pasta" found in refrigerator compartments of
> > supermarkts and speciality shops is egg pasta at its worst. The noodles
> > are usually too thick, the dough is made with semolina, which is much
> > too hard a flour for egg pasta, and it is refrigerated so that it can be
> > called "fresh". In fact, you should avoid cold ingredients or cold
> > surfaces when making it, and the best way to store it is to let it dry
> > completely whether pasta is "fresh" or not. There is no discernible
> > difference between pasta used immediately after it is made, while still
> > moist, and pasta that has dried completely and been stored for several
> > weeks. If you must buy egg pasta, look for packaged noodles that have
> > been dried and curled into nests and check the ingredients to make sure
> > they are made with eggs.
> > </quote>
>

> I find that misleading. None of the shops here use hard wheat flour to make
> egg pasta. Why would they? It costs 3-4 times as much as soft wheat flour!

In every single shop I have ever seen "fresh" egg pasta here in Germany,
it was hard wheat flour, every time. I suspect this is no different in
American shops, which Giuliano Hazan has in mind.

Victor

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 7, 2008, 6:45:15 AM9/7/08
Victor wrote:

> In every single shop I have ever seen "fresh" egg pasta here in Germany,
> it was hard wheat flour, every time. I suspect this is no different in
> American shops, which Giuliano Hazan has in mind.

I just checked, and Victor's right, at least about the fresh pasta where I
shop. All the more reason to make it myself!

Bob, master of orechiette

cybercat

Sep 7, 2008, 12:18:47 PM9/7/08

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message

And with an ass the size of a Buick, to show for it.

amandaF

Sep 7, 2008, 11:33:55 PM9/7/08
On Sep 6, 12:46 pm, aem <aem_ag...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Do your various maladies leave you able to knead dough? If you can,

Don't have time. Get tired dong everything all by myself (cleaning the
house - cleaner than most people's place cuss I can't breath well
otherwise and also get scratchy throat; Need not to get too tired
after working (outside for a living) and working inside so that I
can study for - currently for Cisco networking ceritifcations.

> try these homemade noodles. Recipe may be halved if just for you.
> Easy (assuming you can knead) and delicious. Can't answer your
> question; never tried it.
>
> Homemade Egg Noodles
>
> 2 cups all purpose flour
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
> 1/3 cup water
>
> Mix the flour and salt together.
>
> In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, and
> water together. Form a depression in the flour mixture
> and add the egg mixture. Mix well.
>
> Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for
> eight to ten minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
>
> Divide the dough in half with a sharp knife. With a rolling
> pin, roll each dough piece until it is 1/16 to 1/8-inch thick.
> cover the dough with a cloth and let rest for 20 minutes to
> relax the gluten.
>
> Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into
> strips 3/8-inches wide. Or, roll the dough into a loose cylinder
> and then slice it. Drop the noodles one at time into
> slowly boiling soup, stew or salted water. Cook until tender (begin
> bite-testing at three minutes.) -aem

amandaF

Sep 7, 2008, 11:35:01 PM9/7/08
On Sep 6, 2:55 pm, azaze...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

Thanks.

amandaF

Sep 7, 2008, 11:37:46 PM9/7/08
On Sep 7, 1:54 am, "Giusi" <decobabe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Victor Sack" <azaze...@koroviev.de> ha scritto nel messaggio > It is

It is from an Asian store. I can tell the difference from the way I
feel when I eat different types of noodle. It may not e 100% wheat
but it does makes me feel well eating it and so I was going to use it
routinely.

Bob Terwilliger

Sep 8, 2008, 4:50:42 AM9/8/08
cybercunt wrote:

> an ass the size of a Buick, to show for it.

Speaking of asses and Buicks, how much money did you make in back seats
tonight?

Bob

regma...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2014, 5:33:07 AM6/12/14
If you buy genuine Asian fresh noodles like we have in Sydney Australia they can be frozen or kept refrigerated for a few days. I am not talking about American rubbish, just genuine fresh egg noodles, they can be boiled for about 3 mins or fried for about 2 mins in very hot oil.

Julie Bove

Jun 12, 2014, 6:27:15 AM6/12/14

<regma...@gmail.com> wrote in message
---
American rubbish? Uh...

George Leppla

Jun 12, 2014, 8:18:52 AM6/12/14
On 6/12/2014 4:33 AM, regma...@gmail.com wrote:
> If you buy genuine Asian fresh noodles like we have in Sydney Australia they can be frozen or kept refrigerated for a few days. I am not talking about American rubbish, just genuine fresh egg noodles, they can be boiled for about 3 mins or fried for about 2 mins in very hot oil.

Well isn't that special!

George L

sf

Jun 12, 2014, 9:18:14 AM6/12/14
He could try posting in an all Australian group.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 12, 2014, 10:43:23 AM6/12/14
On Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:18:14 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> > <regma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > If you buy genuine Asian fresh noodles like we have in Sydney Australia they
> >can be frozen or kept refrigerated for a few days. I am not talking about
> >American rubbish, just genuine fresh egg noodles, they can be boiled for
> > about 3 mins or fried for about 2 mins in very hot oil.
>

> He could try posting in an all Australian group.

Or the dumbass could quit replying to 6 year old threads.
Message has been deleted

jmcquown

Jun 12, 2014, 11:19:51 AM6/12/14
Where'd you come up with a 6 year old thread? My newsreader shows the
it was posted at 5:33 AM - this morning, 6/12/2014.

Thing is, this poster starts out asking a question in the subject line
then proceeds to answer his own question while bashing "American" egg
noodles. Chances are we'll never hear from him again.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 12, 2014, 12:49:01 PM6/12/14
On Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:19:51 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Thing is, this poster starts out asking a question in the subject line
> then proceeds to answer his own question while bashing "American" egg
> noodles. Chances are we'll never hear from him again.
>

> Jill

The original thread this twit replied to was dated 9/06/08 and was started by an amandaF, ding-a-ling from Australia replied to that old thread. S/he must be bored out of their gourd to be researching old posts and then replying like they were just posted in a the last day or two.

Gary

Jun 12, 2014, 1:53:28 PM6/12/14
regma...@gmail.com wrote:

> If you buy genuine Asian fresh noodles like we have in Sydney Australia they can be frozen or kept refrigerated for a few days. I am not talking about American rubbish, just genuine fresh egg noodles, they can be boiled for about 3 mins or fried for about 2 mins in very hot oil.

How about just making your own fresh to order. So quick and
easy....very cheap and so much better than store bought. And what in
the hell is this "American rubbish" quip? You make them the same way
no matter where you live, moron. You buy them from Asia and are
unable to make them yourself in Sydney?

G.

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 12, 2014, 1:58:39 PM6/12/14
Let's see... Australian, bashing the US out of nowhere... is Jebus socking
up?

Je�us

Jun 12, 2014, 5:31:43 PM6/12/14
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:19:51 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Yep. It's obvious bait. And watch the kneejerk reactions flow...