Supper just went into the oven

Dave Smith

Sep 12, 2021, 5:07:20 PM9/12/21
There is a small chicken that has been spatchcocked and smeared with
piri piri sauce. I put a sheet of parchment sheet in a pan and laid the
chicken in it skin side up. I chopped up a couple potatoes and carrots
and drizzled them with olive oil and a sprinkle of S&P. Then there is
some cauliflower that has has been cut into chunks and tossed on a
mixture of yogurt and curry powder. It is in the oven now and should be
ready in about 45 minutes.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 12, 2021, 6:23:41 PM9/12/21
Sounds good to me. Since you said the bird is small I'm guessing no left
overs for lunch on Monday.

Dave Smith

Sep 12, 2021, 6:40:32 PM9/12/21
It was a small bird but there is a breast and wing left. I have to say
the dish was a bit disappointing. The video instructions said to cook it
at 350 for 45 minutes. I gave it an extra ten minutes. The chicken
breast meat was perfecting cooked, but the skin did no brown and the
legs were a little under done, as were the carrots and potatoes. I would
do it again, but I would crank the oven up and cook it hotter and for a
little longer.

There are enough leftovers for lunch for two. It was a small chicken but
I have been on a diet for the last year and I eat much smaller portions
than I used to.

Snag

Sep 12, 2021, 6:53:30 PM9/12/21
Since we currently have a glut (over 5 dozen sittin' on the counter)
of eggs , we'll be having bacon & eggs along with hash brown potatoes
and toast . My eggs will be scrambled , hers over easy . She likes that
runny yolk , I want my eggs cooked well done .
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

Bryan Simmons

Sep 12, 2021, 6:58:04 PM9/12/21
The opposite here. You and my wife are both Philistines. ; )

> --
> Snag

--Bryan

Graham

Sep 12, 2021, 9:24:42 PM9/12/21
I had a Burgundy that I wanted to try so I roasted a pork fillet with
apple wedges. Served with mixed veggies and mashed taters. The wine
match was good.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 12, 2021, 9:38:24 PM9/12/21
I like them both ways, toast or biscuits dipped in the runny yolk is heavenly.
Toast or biscuits with soft scrambled eggs is heavenly, too. A hard fried egg
on buttered toast is right up there, as well. When I have one of those I'll break
the yolk and smear it a bit over the white before I flip it.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 12, 2021, 9:41:57 PM9/12/21
On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 5:40:32 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> It was a small bird but there is a breast and wing left. I have to say
> the dish was a bit disappointing. The video instructions said to cook it
> at 350 for 45 minutes. I gave it an extra ten minutes. The chicken
> breast meat was perfecting cooked, but the skin did no brown and the
> legs were a little under done, as were the carrots and potatoes. I would
> do it again, but I would crank the oven up and cook it hotter and for a
> little longer.
>
> There are enough leftovers for lunch for two. It was a small chicken but
> I have been on a diet for the last year and I eat much smaller portions
> than I used to.

Maybe 375° and an extra 10 minutes next time?

GM

Sep 12, 2021, 9:42:40 PM9/12/21
Graham wrote:

> I had a Burgundy that I wanted to try so I roasted a pork fillet with
> apple wedges. Served with mixed veggies and mashed taters. The wine
> match was good.

We see that Graham is relishing some of the "fruits" of our wonderful
free - market capitalist system...!!!

A hearty "bon appétit" to you, Sir...

;-D

--
GM

Michael Trew

Sep 12, 2021, 10:00:51 PM9/12/21
I typically like all egg preparations. I'm not a huge fan of runny
yolks, but I do make them that way when I have toast to dip in the
yolks. That's a common older breakfast in my region. We call it "dippy
eggs".. that seems to translate to somewhere between over easy and over
medium.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 12, 2021, 11:02:28 PM9/12/21
I don't know what over easy and over medium mean, but I think runny
but not raw yolks are the best. Cooking a yolk until it's solid takes
the beauty out of it, IMO.

dsi1

Sep 12, 2021, 11:24:39 PM9/12/21
I love runny eggs and try to eat them any time I can. Asians, generally speaking, are runny egg people.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t1PByw1SvjyP7VBb8

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 13, 2021, 5:44:48 AM9/13/21
On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 9:42:40 PM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> Graham wrote:
>
> > I had a Burgundy that I wanted to try so I roasted a pork fillet with
> > apple wedges. Served with mixed veggies and mashed taters. The wine
> > match was good.
> We see that Graham is relishing some of the "fruits" of our wonderful
> free - market capitalist system...!!!

He's relishing the fruits of his own labor. There's no market involved.

Cindy Hamilton

GM

Sep 13, 2021, 10:16:06 AM9/13/21
He did not have to do anything in order to earn his lovely meal...???

Cindy, your assignment is to read "I, Pencil", 20 - page book report due tomorrow!

https://fee.org/resources/i-pencil/

"Hundreds of thousands of Americans of all ages continue to enjoy this simple
and beautiful explanation of the miracle of the “invisible hand” by following the
production of an ordinary pencil. Read shows that none of us knows enough to
plan the creative actions and decisions of others..."

;-)

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 13, 2021, 10:58:02 AM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 10:16:06 AM UTC-4, GM wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > We see that Graham is relishing some of the "fruits" of our wonderful
> > > free - market capitalist system...!!!
> > He's relishing the fruits of his own labor. There's no market involved.
> He did not have to do anything in order to earn his lovely meal...???

I thought we were talking about Snag and his eggs. I cop to being
insufficiently attentive.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 13, 2021, 11:12:27 AM9/13/21
Over easy is a quick flip, just enough to get the top layer of snot
solidified but not overcook the yolk.

GM

Sep 13, 2021, 11:15:56 AM9/13/21
;-)

--
GM

Michael Trew

Sep 13, 2021, 12:26:53 PM9/13/21
Yes, precisely. Over medium still has a soft yolk, but a bit more firm
than over easy. I've seen technical lists of how long it should be
cooked for each done-ness level, depending on the heat of the skillet.
I know just about how I like it, as long as I can dip my toast in it.

Michael Trew

Sep 13, 2021, 12:28:14 PM9/13/21
On 9/12/2021 11:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 4:00:51 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
>>>
>>> Since we currently have a glut (over 5 dozen sittin' on the counter) of
>>> eggs , we'll be having bacon& eggs along with hash brown potatoes and
>>> toast . My eggs will be scrambled , hers over easy . She likes that
>>> runny yolk , I want my eggs cooked well done .
>> I typically like all egg preparations. I'm not a huge fan of runny
>> yolks, but I do make them that way when I have toast to dip in the
>> yolks. That's a common older breakfast in my region. We call it "dippy
>> eggs".. that seems to translate to somewhere between over easy and over
>> medium.
>
> I love runny eggs and try to eat them any time I can. Asians, generally speaking, are runny egg people.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/t1PByw1SvjyP7VBb8

When I rarely make "sunny side up" eggs like that, I have to cook them
with a lid on the skillet to set the tops. It looks like the egg top is
a bit underdone on that photo.. runny egg whites are no bueno.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 13, 2021, 12:59:15 PM9/13/21
If the rice is hot, the eggs can be stirred into it to finish cooking. I'd
chop up what appears to be a sausage patty under the egg and stir
everything into the rice.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 2:07:47 PM9/13/21
Oh, thanks. I don't like that. It kills the yoke.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 2:13:35 PM9/13/21
.
Requirements in order of importance:
1. Runny, not raw, egg yolk
2. Solid egg white
3. Browning at the white edges
4. Shredded chilli pepper added (optional)
IMO
.
And of course the most animal friendly eggs you can buy. No $2 for 12
eggs or whatever the deals are.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 13, 2021, 3:30:41 PM9/13/21
On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 10:02:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

> I don't know what over easy and over medium mean, but I think runny
> but not raw yolks are the best. Cooking a yolk until it's solid takes
> the beauty out of it, IMO.

Around here, an over easy egg is a runny yolk and snotty whites. An over
medium is still a runny yolk but the whites are cooked firm but tender. A
hard cooked egg is good for an egg on toast sandwich. When the white
is no longer translucent, break the yolk and lightly smear it over the white
then flip to finish cooking. That way you get a bit of the yolk and the white
with each bite.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 13, 2021, 3:36:03 PM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 1:13:35 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

> Requirements in order of importance:
> 1. Runny, not raw, egg yolk
> 2. Solid egg white
> 3. Browning at the white edges
> 4. Shredded chilli pepper added (optional)
> IMO

My dad would fry my eggs with browned crisp edges and I'd just about
gag trying to get that down. It was like trying to swallow barbed wire and
I almost think he'd do it on purpose. "You don't want that crispy edge?
Give it to me." I'd gladly pass my plate to him.

Sh-h-h-h-hudder.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 13, 2021, 3:37:23 PM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 1:13:35 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
Switch 1 and 2, and lose 3 completely. Any browning is less than ideal.

--Bryan

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 3:44:00 PM9/13/21
Ok, then my preference would be over medium without the over.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 3:45:32 PM9/13/21
.
3 adds flavour, but make sure you don't lose 1.

dsi1

Sep 13, 2021, 4:09:48 PM9/13/21
That's Asians for you - they either like their eggs barely cooked or they just cook the hell out of them. On this rock, runny eggs are essential for two popular dishes: loco moko and kim chee fried rice. This means we eat a lot of runny eggs.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 12:02:19 AM9/14/21
I used to do that with chicken pot pies.. (crush it all up and mix)
someone yelled at me that I was ruining the pie.. lol

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 12:03:20 AM9/14/21
Very slight crisp is OK. I've had it as you describe.. at that point of
cooking, it's usually crisp on the bottom also. That's not good. I
would say that meant the heat in the skillet was too high.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 12:04:54 AM9/14/21
The only time I've had Asian food with eggs would be the likely heavily
"Americanized" fried rice from your typical Chinese restaurant.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 12:07:10 AM9/14/21
Well, that would just basically be "sunny side up" cooked properly. I
assume you cover them when cooking to set the whites better. With how I
always assumed over-easy was, the egg white is just cooked, not runny at
all. It's only flipped enough to set the top, and the yolk is still
plenty runny. Just pierce the top with a fork and dip the toast or
whatever.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 1:08:23 AM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 00:07:07 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/13/2021 3:43 PM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 12:30:38 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>>> Around here, an over easy egg is a runny yolk and snotty whites. An over
>>> medium is still a runny yolk but the whites are cooked firm but tender. A
>>> hard cooked egg is good for an egg on toast sandwich. When the white
>>> is no longer translucent, break the yolk and lightly smear it over the white
>>> then flip to finish cooking. That way you get a bit of the yolk and the white
>>> with each bite.
>>
>> Ok, then my preference would be over medium without the over.
>
>Well, that would just basically be "sunny side up" cooked properly.

Yes.
>assume you cover them when cooking to set the whites better.

No, but I fry them fairly hard. The hub isn't very subtle and I want
the chilli peppers in the same pan fried nicely.

>With how I
>always assumed over-easy was, the egg white is just cooked, not runny at
>all. It's only flipped enough to set the top, and the yolk is still
>plenty runny. Just pierce the top with a fork and dip the toast or
>whatever.

Not a bad plan B :)

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 1:09:33 AM9/14/21
Those bloody Saudi-Arabians again!

Gary

Sep 14, 2021, 8:43:39 AM9/14/21
Michael Trew wrote:
> I used to do that with chicken pot pies.. (crush it all up and mix)
> someone yelled at me that I was ruining the pie.. lol

I always do that with pot pies. Cook it then chop up crust and stir
together in a bowl right before eating. If it's a little thick, I'll add
in a couple of TBS of water to loosen it up a bit. Good eats.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 14, 2021, 12:14:51 PM9/14/21
I'd peel all the crust off and toss it out for the critters, if the
insides tasted disgusting too the critters would get that also.
I can't remember the last time I bought a chicken pot pie, has to be
some thirty years ago. Now I simply cook the insides myself. Easy
enough to cook a chicken stew.

Ophelia

Sep 14, 2021, 2:52:50 PM9/14/21
======

Me too:)))))

bruce bowser

Sep 14, 2021, 3:11:48 PM9/14/21
On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 5:07:20 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> There is a small chicken that has been spatchcocked and smeared with
> piri piri sauce. I put a sheet of parchment sheet in a pan and laid the
> chicken in it skin side up. I chopped up a couple potatoes and carrots
> and drizzled them with olive oil and a sprinkle of S&P. Then there is
> some cauliflower that has has been cut into chunks and tossed on a
> mixture of yogurt and curry powder. It is in the oven now and should be
> ready in about 45 minutes.

You boiled the potatoes for an hour before chopping them up, right?

jmcquown

Sep 14, 2021, 6:42:09 PM9/14/21
That's basically what I did for dinner last night. I fried an egg
seasoned with S&P in butter, broke the yolk, flipped it and finished
cooking (but it wasn't totally hard cooked). Served it on a toasted
whole wheat bun with a couple of strips of bacon. And yes, I had a
glass of milk to go with it. :)

Jill

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 11:45:30 PM9/14/21
On 9/14/2021 1:08 AM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
> The hub isn't very subtle

Say again?

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 11:47:27 PM9/14/21
I am not a fan of the frozen pies, but they are edible. With how long
it takes to bake them, you're better off putting a bit more effort in to
make them from scratch.. same time in the oven.

Perhaps you won't believe me, but I have cooked homemade chicken pot
pies before, from scratch. I make two at a time from a split chicken
breast. It's been a good while, I'll post with pictures next time.

Gary

Sep 15, 2021, 8:55:48 AM9/15/21
On 9/14/2021 12:14 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
True but it's even easier to cook a commercial pot pie. I like the
occasional cheap Banquet Turkey pot pies. Stouffer's makes a good one too.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 15, 2021, 3:08:46 PM9/15/21
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 10:47:27 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:

> I am not a fan of the frozen pies, but they are edible. With how long
> it takes to bake them, you're better off putting a bit more effort in to
> make them from scratch.. same time in the oven.

I can do a chicken pot pie in my Ninja Foodi, from scratch, in less than
30 minutes. But I do use a store-bought pie crust for the top.

https://i.postimg.cc/1z5xb2FD/Pie-Crust.jpg

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 11:39:17 PM9/15/21
I can't remember, is that a pressure cooker? Do you have to pre-cook
the chicken, or par-boil the potatoes, carrots, celery, etc?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 16, 2021, 12:01:07 AM9/16/21
It's a combination pressure cooker, slow cooker, dehydrator, steamer, and
air fryer. Everything is cooked in the Ninja for 2 or 3 minutes such as the celery,
onions, and carrots to slightly soften them, then the chicken and whatever liquid
is needed. Pressure cook for about 10 minutes, then add what remaining ingredients
then the pie crust and brown for 10 minutes. Chicken pot pie is then ready to eat but
I do wait about 10 minutes as everything is bubbling like lava.

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2021, 1:21:54 AM9/16/21
Hmm, very interesting. That sounds far better than a Microwave oven.

Gary

Sep 16, 2021, 7:53:50 AM9/16/21
On 9/15/2021 3:08 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
Not picking on you but why make a pot pie filling from scratch then use
a store bought crust? That's a half-assed pot pie to me. A home made
crust is so much better.

I've done both...all home made
And I'll also nuke the commercial ones and be happy.

Note: either way, I always do a 2-crust pie.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 16, 2021, 11:08:28 AM9/16/21
On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 6:53:50 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> On 9/15/2021 3:08 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > I can do a chicken pot pie in my Ninja Foodi, from scratch, in less than
> > 30 minutes. But I do use a store-bought pie crust for the top.
> >
> > https://i.postimg.cc/1z5xb2FD/Pie-Crust.jpg
> >
> Not picking on you but why make a pot pie filling from scratch then use
> a store bought crust? That's a half-assed pot pie to me. A home made
> crust is so much better.

1. Because I want to and don't want to make a homemade crust.
2. That is _your_ opinion.

> I've done both...all home made
> And I'll also nuke the commercial ones and be happy.

Not picking on you, but why buy a commercial pot pie when a homemade
one is so much better? Lots more meat and the vegetables of YOUR choice.

> Note: either way, I always do a 2-crust pie.

I don't like the soggy bottom crust.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 16, 2021, 11:09:28 AM9/16/21
I'd prepare the filling in a pot as a stew, and forget the unhealthful
greasebomb pie crust. Chicken stew would be tastier ladled over
toast, a la SOS... or over egg noodles, and far easier to prepare. And
no one needs those new fangled appliances to buy, store, and clean...
I'd have chicken stew a la SOS on a paper plate... and then use the
paper plate to feed the cats... I haven't met a cat yet that didn't
love my chicken stew. And since I'm making chicken stew I may as well
prepare enough for the freezer. Chicken stew is one of the easiest
and inexpensive dishes to prepare... skinless boneless chicken bosoms
are always on sale. If anyone is too lazy to prepare veggies buy
mixed frozen. Right now we have a ton of fresh garden veggies; green
beans, summer squash, etc. We buy carrots in five pound bags for
$3.99, they never go to waste, deer pig out on carrots.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 16, 2021, 11:59:53 AM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 07:53:39 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/15/2021 3:08 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 10:47:27 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>>
>>> I am not a fan of the frozen pies, but they are edible. With how long
>>> it takes to bake them, you're better off putting a bit more effort in to
>>> make them from scratch.. same time in the oven.
>>>
>> I can do a chicken pot pie in my Ninja Foodi, from scratch, in less than
>> 30 minutes. But I do use a store-bought pie crust for the top.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/1z5xb2FD/Pie-Crust.jpg
>
>Not picking on you but why make a pot pie filling from scratch then use
>a store bought crust? That's a half-assed pot pie to me. A home made
>crust is so much better.

No crust is best.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 16, 2021, 2:59:17 PM9/16/21
On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 10:09:28 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I'd prepare the filling in a pot as a stew, and forget the unhealthful
> greasebomb pie crust. Chicken stew would be tastier ladled over
> toast, a la SOS... or over egg noodles, and far easier to prepare.

Well, the pie crust is not a grease bomb, far from it. And once browned
it's better than any store bought pot pie. The pie I make from the Ninja
Foodi cookbook is ready to eat in 20 minutes, start to finish. But I give it
another 10 minutes to cool because it's bubbling away when I lift the lid.
Your stew wouldn't be ready to eat in 20 minutes plus you're dirtying yet
ANOTHER pot when you serve your stew over noodles. Plus the house
is a LOT cooler when I use this appliance instead of having two burners
going on the gas stove. Same thing applies to a crockpot; house is much
cooler but with the same results as your stovetop method.

> And no one needs those new fangled appliances to buy, store, and clean...

Since this pot is an air fryer, pressure cooker, steamer, and dehydrator all-in
-one, it's only one pot and nonstick at that. It's no different than you storing
16-quart saucepot, in fact, it's smaller than that at 8 quarts.

Until you use either a Ninja Foodi or an Instant Pot you need to keep your
opinions to yourself whether your method or my method is easier to
prepare. You don't have a clue when you make these sanctimonious
statements.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 16, 2021, 3:01:00 PM9/16/21
In _your_ opinion. But ain't it grand we have a choice. We still have a
choice, don't we??

Bruce 3.2

Sep 16, 2021, 3:20:21 PM9/16/21
We do have a choice, but if we prefer a crust, we're faggots and liars
who live in a goat barn.

Gary

Sep 17, 2021, 7:58:24 AM9/17/21
Did you like the Soggy Bottom Boys? Great hit song.

Gary

Sep 17, 2021, 7:58:38 AM9/17/21
Sheldon Martin wrote:
> We buy carrots in five pound bags for
> $3.99, they never go to waste, deer pig out on carrots.

I'm lucky there. Two pounds for a dollar, every day price.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 1:19:51 PM9/17/21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdYGnAFaeHU

That describes a few folks here... men of constant sorrow ;)