Getting salt to stick on roasted cashews

Rap RIP

Sep 14, 2021, 9:24:30 AM9/14/21
I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?

Dave Smith

Sep 14, 2021, 10:51:34 AM9/14/21
On 2021-09-14 9:24 a.m., Rap RIP wrote:
> I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?

Buy salted cashews

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 14, 2021, 11:21:43 AM9/14/21
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 9:24:30 AM UTC-4, rapr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?

The most effective is to beat an egg white until frothy, toss the cashews in it,
spread them on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt. Bake at 300 F
until the egg white is dried. You can get a ton of salt to stick using this method.

Alternatively, you could make a strong brine, rinse the cashews in it, then
bake as above.

Cindy Hamilton

Bryan Simmons

Sep 14, 2021, 11:53:02 AM9/14/21
Raw, in the shell pistachios never come salted. I mix ultrafine ground salt with
a tiny bit of sunflower oil. That works relly well with already shelled nuts.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Graham

Sep 14, 2021, 12:35:44 PM9/14/21
On 2021-09-14 7:24 a.m., Rap RIP wrote:
> I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?

Just be thankful that your BP remained stable!

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 14, 2021, 1:02:07 PM9/14/21
Although, it is difficult based on the existing diagnostic tests to divide a population in salt-sensitive and salt-resistant groups, it is reported that salt sensitivity concerns 30–50% of the hypertensive and 25% of the normotensive subjects.
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41371-020-00407-1>

Odds are pretty good it had no effect whatsoever on his BP. I eat a ridiculous
amount of salt and it has no effect on mine.

Cindy Hamilton

Sqwertz

Sep 14, 2021, 2:19:01 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 06:24:27 -0700 (PDT), Rap RIP wrote:

> I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?

Heat them ion a pan, shaking constantly, so a little of oil is
exuded. if not, then add a few DROPS, not spoons, to the pan and
swish them around.

Then salt. I would add black pepper, too.

-sw

Dave Smith

Sep 14, 2021, 2:26:11 PM9/14/21
Thanks to my problem last summer I am on a low sodium diet so salted
nuts are out for me, along with most other things that taste good.

My father in law used to go out for at least one meal in a restaurant
every day so there was lots of salt and fat in his diet. His standard
breakfast was a couple poached eggs with cheese melted on top and salt
sprinkled on top. He always salted his food. He was a very active guy
and died very peacefully in his sleep a few weeks before his 95th birthday.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 2:36:07 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 06:24:27 -0700 (PDT), Rap RIP <rapr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?

How does the industry do it? Xanthan gum?

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 14, 2021, 2:37:41 PM9/14/21
Good genes make all the difference.

I don't take much care with my diet, but my blood pressure and cholesterol are
both within acceptable limits. So far, so good.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 14, 2021, 2:43:31 PM9/14/21
The mass-market brand here is Planters. They list these ingredients:

cashews, peanut oil and sea salt

They salt the cashews while they're hot, and enough sticks, apparently.
In my experience, the salt is pretty finely ground.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 2:57:57 PM9/14/21
On 9/14/2021 2:26 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Thanks to my problem last summer I am on a low sodium diet. >
Yea, you tell us that daily.

bruce bowser

Sep 14, 2021, 3:05:06 PM9/14/21
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 9:24:30 AM UTC-4, rapr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?

Great question for sci.chem, no?

bruce bowser

Sep 14, 2021, 3:07:03 PM9/14/21
I think I'll ask 'em.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 3:20:13 PM9/14/21
Don't forget the question while you go there.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 14, 2021, 3:57:32 PM9/14/21
The peanut oil helps it stick. I use sunflower oil.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 4:02:09 PM9/14/21
High oleic, I hope?

Bryan Simmons

Sep 14, 2021, 4:05:52 PM9/14/21
Of course. It's all the rage in Holland!
https://levo.nl/oils/high-oleic-zonnebloemolie?lang=en

--Bryan

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 4:13:23 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:05:49 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
And GMO-free. I wonder if American RFC'ers know what that means.

Hank Rogers

Sep 14, 2021, 6:39:12 PM9/14/21
Dammit, I want to hear another BIG NIECE story!

Sqwertz

Sep 14, 2021, 7:10:43 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:43:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> The mass-market brand here is Planters. They list these ingredients:
>
> cashews, peanut oil and sea salt
>
> They salt the cashews while they're hot, and enough sticks, apparently.
> In my experience, the salt is pretty finely ground.

For many things like nuts, I put my salt (and/or MSG) in a mortar
and pestle and grind it down before using it. Such as the flours I
uses used for coating the chicken the other day. It incorporates
better with the like-grained substances. It also sticks to nuts
better.

-sw

Bryan Simmons

Sep 14, 2021, 7:35:35 PM9/14/21
If I weren't working full time, I might go the the effort of doing the
mortar and pestle thing with salt, because you can powder the salt
much finer than I can get it with my hand twist salt mill.

> -sw

--Bryan

Hank Rogers

Sep 14, 2021, 8:55:10 PM9/14/21
Is that yoose Popeye?

Why yoose try impersonate the squirt?

jmcquown

Sep 14, 2021, 9:43:08 PM9/14/21
I like that answer, especially since the OP said he purchased "roasted
*salted* cashews." If, when he got home he found they were unsalted,
here's a thought: take them back to the store and exchange them for
salted cashews. BUT... the mention of using hymSalt - Himalayan pink
salt? Why?! Do roasted cashews require special salt? Methinks not.
This is a BS post.

Jill

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 9:54:08 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:43:02 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
We can sleep in peace. Sergeant Jill is on the case!

Sqwertz

Sep 14, 2021, 11:51:02 PM9/14/21
WTF is this "If I weren't working full time..." bullshit?! You stop
at McDonalds to buy Sausage McMuffins and then cook your eggs at
home for your lunch break.

Yet here you are on vacation and it literally takes 3 seconds to
grind up a little salt to a powder in a druggists mortar/pestle -
3-4 rotations with the pestle and its done!(*) It's not like you're
pounding a kilo of garlic and chiles to make Thai curry - OR COOKING
EGGS TO FINISH YOUR SAUSAGE & EGG MCMUFFINS!

WTF is WRONG with you?!?! You'rwe almost as Kooky as Kuthe! It's no
wonder you were so attracted to each other as infants.

(*) I usually do a tablespoon at a time and leave the rest in there
for something else I may need shortly.

-sw

Mike Duffy

Sep 15, 2021, 12:11:47 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:54:03 +1000, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:43:02 -0400, Jill wrote:

>>This is a BS post.

> We can sleep in peace. Sergeant Jill is on the case!

Detective Duffy to the rescue of this thread! Earlier in the week I
noticed Costco now carries Brazil nuts, and when I got home I checked my
supply and came to the stark realization that I don't eat them often
enough and they had gone a few steps past the beginning of the journey to
rancidity.

During childhood, they were always my favourite in the 'Mixed Nut' cans,
and despite that I have always known those were roasted and that bulk
packages are always raw, I had never bothered to roast them myself.

All the on-line recipes I found were similar. Barring optional flavours,
just add a bit of oil (I used grapeseed) and roast at 350F for a dozen or
so minutes stirring every 2 or 3 minutes. (I used the forced-air so-
called 'convection' setting.) Cool & roll on paper towels to lift the oil
and add salt if desired.

The result was fabulous! They are not only the much more delectable taste
I remember, but I think I stalled the bus on their trip to rancid city.

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 2:21:23 AM9/15/21
On 9/14/2021 9:24 AM, Rap RIP wrote:
> I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?

Moisten the salt with a bit of oil or something and shake it up in the can.

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 2:23:04 AM9/15/21
Lol

Bryan Simmons

Sep 15, 2021, 6:51:57 AM9/15/21
If you used decent oil, instead of the highly overrated grapeseed, there'd be
far less rancidity. The roasting technique is fine if you want cooked nuts,
but some nuts like pistachios and almonds are far, far better raw. If I had
grapeseed oil, I'd use it to help start campfires.

--Bryan

Bruce 3.2

Sep 15, 2021, 7:03:42 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:51:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

>If you used decent oil, instead of the highly overrated grapeseed, there'd be
>far less rancidity. The roasting technique is fine if you want cooked nuts,
>but some nuts like pistachios and almonds are far, far better raw. If I had
>grapeseed oil, I'd use it to help start campfires.

Yet you happily eat fast food. If it's on special, of course.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 15, 2021, 7:27:19 AM9/15/21
I eat certain fast foods, regardless of whether they're "on special," but
any time I can get the same thing for less money, I'm all over that. I
*like* McD's hamburgers. Like Steve said, they're not even hamburgers
in the regular sense. They are a thing unto themselves. I'd eat them
occasionally if I were a billionaire. Breakfast was a homemade
bean&cheese burrito. I didn't make it because beans are cheap, but
because I love bean&cheese burritos.

Lunch today here:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x87c385d9ff03fd93%3A0x38698ab3a3e6619b!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMSth-KQ4s4SyEK8xTQILRfc0Cj70KVV16HDvxa%3Dw284-h160-k-no!5staqueria%20morelos%20sedalia%20mo%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipMSth-KQ4s4SyEK8xTQILRfc0Cj70KVV16HDvxa&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu55yx74DzAhU7l2oFHfTxC3gQoip6BAhZEAM

--Bryan

Bruce 3.2

Sep 15, 2021, 7:31:18 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 04:27:15 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
Did you check what oil they use?

Bryan Simmons

Sep 15, 2021, 7:43:17 AM9/15/21
They don't cook burgers in oil, and I hold their fries to a lower standard
than what I do my own kitchen. Also, restaurants use oil very quickly.
It usually gets dirty before it starts to become rancid. At home, oil sits
in an opened bottle. Polyunsaturates don't do well with that. I often
don't even buy fries, but on Fridays the fries are free with any purchase.

--Bryan

Gary

Sep 15, 2021, 8:44:18 AM9/15/21
On 9/14/2021 6:39 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
Yes! Those were the best.

Gary

Sep 15, 2021, 8:55:22 AM9/15/21
Bryan Simmons wrote:
> Raw, in the shell pistachios never come salted. I mix ultrafine ground salt with
> a tiny bit of sunflower oil. That works relly well with already shelled nuts.

What is your opinion of grape seed oil, Bryan?

Sheldon Martin

Sep 15, 2021, 9:47:39 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:51:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pistachios are always roasted otherwise they'd be toxic. Pistachio
trees grow in Belize, their fruit makes excellent wine, however their
outer shell is problematic to remove. The natives cover them with
hardwood planks that they drive a vehical over to crack the outer
shells. Pistachios are labor intensive which is what makes them
expensive.
https://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=pistachios%20and%20toxic&s_it=loki-keyword

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2021, 10:08:01 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:51:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> If you used decent oil, instead of the highly overrated grapeseed, there'd be
> far less rancidity. The roasting technique is fine if you want cooked nuts,
> but some nuts like pistachios and almonds are far, far better raw. If I had
> grapeseed oil, I'd use it to help start campfires.

Hopefully you find something to do while on vacation other than
constantly bitching about what kind of oils we use.

-sw

Mike Duffy

Sep 15, 2021, 10:36:01 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:51:54 -0700, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> If you used decent oil, instead of the highly overrated grapeseed,
> there'd be far less rancidity.

You're trying to tell me that grapeseed oil in one cupboard can make raw
Brazil nuts in my other cupboard 12 feet away turn rancid.

Should I keep the grapeseed oil in my garden shed with my 2-stroke oil?

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2021, 10:38:54 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 04:43:13 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> They don't cook burgers in oil, and I hold their fries to a lower standard
> than what I do my own kitchen. Also, restaurants use oil very quickly.
> It usually gets dirty before it starts to become rancid. At home, oil sits
> in an opened bottle. Polyunsaturates don't do well with that. I often
> don't even buy fries, but on Fridays the fries are free with any purchase.

At BK we changed the oil once every 6 weeks, They have filters that
constantly suck out the dirt/solids and we just add new oil once or
twice a day to keep the level up, and bang out and wash the filters
every night.

They don't seem to have a problem with rancidity in those 6 weeks of
keeping the oil exposed to air and the temp at 375F for 16-18 hours
a day. It could be that you're just full of shit.

-sw

odlayo

Sep 15, 2021, 10:52:23 AM9/15/21
On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 8:47:39 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> Pistachios are always roasted otherwise they'd be toxic. Pistachio
> trees grow in Belize, their fruit makes excellent wine, however their
> outer shell is problematic to remove. The natives cover them with
> hardwood planks that they drive a vehical over to crack the outer
> shells. Pistachios are labor intensive which is what makes them
> expensive.
> https://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=pistachios%20and%20toxic&s_it=loki-keyword

I think you're confusing pistachios and cashews.

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2021, 10:58:50 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 09:47:32 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Pistachios are always roasted otherwise they'd be toxic.

Bullshit. Only poorly grown and stored ones.

> Pistachio trees grow in Belize,

Bullshit

> their fruit makes excellent wine,

More bullshit.

> however their outer shell is problematic to remove.

Bullshit. They split open naturally.

The natives cover them with
> hardwood planks that they drive a vehical over to crack the outer
> shells. Pistachios are labor intensive which is what makes them
> expensive.
> https://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=pistachios%20and%20toxic&s_it=loki-keyword

<yawn> Bullshit <yawn>

-sw

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 15, 2021, 11:21:34 AM9/15/21
The link doesn't even support his assertions.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 15, 2021, 12:01:07 PM9/15/21
At the end of six weeks little if any of the first batch are still in
there. What is the capacity and how much is added every day?

I had a car that I never changed the oil in the engine. It held four
quarts and I added a quart every couple hundred miles.

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 1:46:05 PM9/15/21
Hahaha... I've had a few of those, namely my current '76 C10 with a 305.
It doesn't matter what additives you put in, or how expensive the
Lucas is. Rings are worn, flat and simple. It's best to just put heavy
15-40 Diesel oil in and get a bit more mileage out of the oil. When
sitting at a red light at night, you can see the blue smoke in the
headlights of the car behind you. In daytime, it can be clearly seen
when laying into it climbing a hill.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 15, 2021, 3:49:38 PM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 09:38:52 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 04:43:13 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>> They don't cook burgers in oil, and I hold their fries to a lower standard
>> than what I do my own kitchen. Also, restaurants use oil very quickly.
>> It usually gets dirty before it starts to become rancid. At home, oil sits
>> in an opened bottle. Polyunsaturates don't do well with that. I often
>> don't even buy fries, but on Fridays the fries are free with any purchase.
>
>At BK we changed the oil once every 6 weeks,

Big Kahuna? Wait, Burger King!

Bruce 3.2

Sep 15, 2021, 3:51:34 PM9/15/21
lol

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2021, 4:36:33 PM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:01:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/15/2021 10:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> At BK we changed the oil once every 6 weeks, They have filters that
>> constantly suck out the dirt/solids and we just add new oil once or
>> twice a day to keep the level up, and bang out and wash the filters
>> every night.
>>
>> They don't seem to have a problem with rancidity in those 6 weeks of
>> keeping the oil exposed to air and the temp at 375F for 16-18 hours
>> a day. It could be that you're just full of shit.
>
> At the end of six weeks little if any of the first batch are still in
> there. What is the capacity and how much is added every day?
>
> I had a car that I never changed the oil in the engine. It held four
> quarts and I added a quart every couple hundred miles.

It may have been 4 weeks. Once a month we did the thorough scrub
down of the broiler, fryers, etc. We did it in the middle of the
night.

I'd say at least 1/2 the oil remained in the 4 weeks of meantime.
There were 4 fryers for fries and onions rings, and another 2 for
fish and chicken.

-sw

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2021, 4:40:08 PM9/15/21
He's always done that. He claims something as fact and then posts a
link that says he's wrong.

Had he been talking about cashews, OTOH....
-
sw

jmcquown

Sep 15, 2021, 6:14:03 PM9/15/21
On 9/15/2021 10:35 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:51:54 -0700, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>> If you used decent oil, instead of the highly overrated grapeseed,
>> there'd be far less rancidity.
>
> You're trying to tell me that grapeseed oil in one cupboard can make raw
> Brazil nuts in my other cupboard 12 feet away turn rancid.

Reading for comprehension isn't his strong point. I understood you
roasted *raw* brazil nuts that were about to go rancid. You roasted
them in the nick of time. Kudos! :)

Jill

Hank Rogers

Sep 15, 2021, 6:37:22 PM9/15/21
I bet you have cooked up more grub than Popeye!

He will be here soon to call you a liar and faggot.

Gary

Sep 16, 2021, 7:53:25 AM9/16/21
About to go rancid? If you know that then they have already turned
rancid just not so bad yet.

Mike Duffy

Sep 16, 2021, 10:55:57 AM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 07:53:14 -0400, Gary wrote:

> About to go rancid? If you know that then they have already turned
> rancid just not so bad yet.

They were still okay to eat as they were, but did not taste as fresh as
when purchased. Roasting got rid of the inkling of incipient rancidity.
(Plus I consider the taste roasted superior even to raw ones I have
freshly shelled myself.)

In the past, I bought them raw at Bulk Barn. Next time, I will get the
ones from Costco and roast them first. I'm planning on doing the same
with Costco pecans as well.

This way, my wife can eat them as well, because she will not eat anything
from BB unless they are individually pre-wrapped. She had this habit pre-
Covid.

bruce bowser

Sep 16, 2021, 12:57:32 PM9/16/21
On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 6:14:03 PM UTC-4, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> On 9/15/2021 10:35 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:51:54 -0700, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> >> If you used decent oil, instead of the highly overrated grapeseed,
> >> there'd be far less rancidity.
> >
> > You're trying to tell me that grapeseed oil in one cupboard can make raw
> > Brazil nuts in my other cupboard 12 feet away turn rancid.
> >
> Reading for comprehension isn't his strong point.

Thinking about being high and mighty is, though.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 16, 2021, 7:28:41 PM9/16/21
On 2021-09-14, Bruce 3.2 <Bro...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> And GMO-free. I wonder if American RFC'ers know what that means.

Covid-19 is a GMO for instance. I don't care for it.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 16, 2021, 7:37:27 PM9/16/21
On 2021-09-15, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> Moisten the salt with a bit of oil or something and shake it up in the can.

I think PAM would work for the oil. A spray of PAM, a sprinkle of salt,
shake, taste, a spray of PAM, a sprinkle of salt...
I made a lot of PAM in the '70s, or I wouldn't have thought of it. I'd
use a paper bag. OTOH, I've never done it either.

Mike Duffy

Sep 16, 2021, 8:21:24 PM9/16/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 23:37:22 +0000, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I made a lot of PAM in the '70s,

Surely even then it was automated.

> use a paper bag.

Hmm. Normally I eschew gratuitous ingredient lists, but I suppose the
butane & propane could really do a number on plastic. Not that I would
ignore the warning on the can not to huff & puff of course.

jmcquown

Sep 16, 2021, 8:29:10 PM9/16/21
On 9/16/2021 10:55 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 07:53:14 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> About to go rancid? If you know that then they have already turned
>> rancid just not so bad yet.
>
> They were still okay to eat as they were, but did not taste as fresh as
> when purchased. Roasting got rid of the inkling of incipient rancidity.
> (Plus I consider the taste roasted superior even to raw ones I have
> freshly shelled myself.)

I understood what you meant even if Gary didn't.

> In the past, I bought them raw at Bulk Barn. Next time, I will get the
> ones from Costco and roast them first. I'm planning on doing the same
> with Costco pecans as well.

I've had the same thought with raw shelled nuts I have ordered in bulk.

Jill

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 16, 2021, 9:31:49 PM9/16/21
On 2021-09-17, Mike Duffy <bo...@nosuch.com> wrote:

> Hmm. Normally I eschew gratuitous ingredient lists, but I suppose the
> butane & propane could really do a number on plastic. Not that I would
> ignore the warning on the can not to huff & puff of course.

In the Seventies, the ingredients for PAM were Freon 11, Freon 12 and lecithin.
The formula was originally changed because of global cooling concerns.
That's a fact.

jmcquown

Sep 16, 2021, 9:34:26 PM9/16/21
In the 70's, people died from huffing it. That's a fact, too.

Jill

Bruce 3.2

Sep 16, 2021, 9:39:07 PM9/16/21
On 17 Sep 2021 01:31:43 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
So it's not true.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 17, 2021, 2:12:29 AM9/17/21
To this day, people die from huffing aerosols.

leo

dsi1

Sep 17, 2021, 4:01:39 AM9/17/21
My niece's husband was a huffer. They would always have to search for him. Usually, they'd find him passed out in parking lots inside a solvent filled car. The last time they found him, he was dead. That was around 5 years ago. Inhaling aerosols is very addicting, it seems.

Gary

Sep 17, 2021, 8:03:01 AM9/17/21
On 9/16/2021 8:29 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/16/2021 10:55 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 07:53:14 -0400, Gary wrote:
>>
>>> About to go rancid? If you know that then they have already turned
>>> rancid just not so bad yet.
>>
>> They were still okay to eat as they were, but did not taste as fresh as
>> when purchased. Roasting got rid of the inkling of incipient rancidity.
>> (Plus I consider the taste roasted superior even to raw ones I have
>> freshly shelled myself.)
>>
> I understood what you meant even if Gary didn't.

I understood what he meant and he understood my response.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 17, 2021, 8:34:18 AM9/17/21
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 20:29:03 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Stores usually have a display of mixed in the shell nuts at Christmas
time, I'll often buy a pound but I don't take the Brazil nuts, they
are usually difficult to shell and I'm not very fond of them anyway,
they are sort of bland tasting. I mostly like the filberts/hazelnuts,
they're easy to shell with a nut cracker. Actually my favorite are
roasted in the shell salted peanuts, and they are not even nuts,
peanuts are legumes. I also like Spanish peanuts, the small ones in
Cracker Jacks. Spanish Peanuts used to be sold in penny machines all
over NYC, especially in subway stations.
Makes me remember many years ago in my early twenties I had a friend
from Cuba, Jake, who owned a slew of those penny machines and made a
good living from servicing them. His wife used to roll the pennies
and occasionally find ones with valuable dates, not enough to be
wealthy but $10 for a penny in the '60s was pretty good luck.

Ophelia

Sep 17, 2021, 9:14:43 AM9/17/21
I always have malt vinegar on my tits:)) They don't taste right
without it :)))

lol

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 1:29:02 PM9/17/21
I've used PAM at my parents house years ago, but I've never bought it.
Too "new-fangled" ;)

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 1:32:26 PM9/17/21
On 9/17/2021 8:34 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> Makes me remember many years ago in my early twenties I had a friend
> from Cuba, Jake, who owned a slew of those penny machines and made a
> good living from servicing them. His wife used to roll the pennies
> and occasionally find ones with valuable dates, not enough to be
> wealthy but $10 for a penny in the '60s was pretty good luck.

I've collected coins for years.. I always compulsively look at dates on
coins before I spend them.. I've found a few keepers. When you are at a
large grocery store, or any store with the "coin star" sorting machines,
always check the "reject" slot where the machine spits out rejected
coins. Silver coins have a slightly different weight, and I've found
valuable silver coins waiting to be claimed in them before.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 17, 2021, 1:40:53 PM9/17/21
I mainly find Canadian coins in the reject slot.

Cindy Hamilton

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 3:56:49 PM9/17/21
Yes, those too.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 17, 2021, 4:16:36 PM9/17/21
Popcorn salt.

Thomas

Sep 17, 2021, 4:31:23 PM9/17/21
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 9:24:30 AM UTC-4, rapr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I went to the stoopidmart earlier and purchased roasted salted cashews. Of course they contained no salt. So I salted them with hymSalt and the salt just went to the bottom of the bag and did not stick to the nuts. Suggestions?
Stopped reading after 100.
Spirtz with peanut oil, do your salt , finer is what i use

jmcquown

Sep 17, 2021, 4:41:04 PM9/17/21
Popcorn salt on roasted cashews would taste horrific.

Jill

Sheldon Martin

Sep 17, 2021, 4:46:00 PM9/17/21
On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:40:56 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Popcorn salt is pure 100% salt but is finer so will stick.

jmcquown

Sep 17, 2021, 5:41:19 PM9/17/21
> Most salt will stick to lightly oiled nuts but taste will be too
intense. Too high in concentration and you'll never taste the cashews.

Popcorn is puffed so much of the salt sloughs off unless adhered by
melted butter, at least if you're talking about movie theatre popcorn.
Any popcorn we ever made at home was salted with regular grind table
salt and no butter. No special finely ground popcorn salt.

Jill

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 17, 2021, 5:52:24 PM9/17/21
On 9/17/2021 8:34 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 20:29:03 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> They were still okay to eat as they were, but did not taste as fresh as
>>> when purchased. Roasting got rid of the inkling of incipient rancidity.
>>> (Plus I consider the taste roasted superior even to raw ones I have
>>> freshly shelled myself.)
>>>
>> I understood what you meant even if Gary didn't.
>>
>>> In the past, I bought them raw at Bulk Barn. Next time, I will get the
>>> ones from Costco and roast them first. I'm planning on doing the same
>>> with Costco pecans as well.
>>>
>> I've had the same thought with raw shelled nuts I have ordered in bulk.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Stores usually have a display of mixed in the shell nuts at Christmas
> time, I'll often buy a pound but I don't take the Brazil nuts, they
> are usually difficult to shell and I'm not very fond of them anyway,
> they are sort of bland tasting. I mostly like the filberts/hazelnuts,
> they're easy to shell with a nut cracker.

I used to love filling a nut bowl with different types of in the shell
nuts and cracking them with a cracker and picks. Yes, they were
available Thanksgiving/Christmas. I have a cute ceramic nut bowl that
looks like a walnut with a squirrel perched on top. And nut crackers.
Sadly, I haven't seen mixed in the shell nuts around
Thanksgiving/Christmas at grocery stores in over a decade.

I like brazil nuts because they taste a bit like water chestnuts, a
clean taste and nice crisp crunch. I do like hazelnuts and almonds,
too. Pecans are actually my least favorite. Pecans are quite popular
in the South for things like pecan pie and are grown down here but I
don't care for them. They are also very expensive.

Jill

Hank Rogers

Sep 17, 2021, 6:29:31 PM9/17/21
Dumb ass, that's how it's always been done at jewish delis, and all
gin mills in brooklyn.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 7:11:03 PM9/17/21
I'm not a fan of pecans either due to the price, or eating plain.
However, I love a good pecan pie!

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 18, 2021, 4:27:30 AM9/18/21
Really? Are you thinking of butter-flavored popcorn salt?

There's plain popcorn salt that's simply finely ground salt.

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Sep 18, 2021, 11:02:57 AM9/18/21
Jill possesses very little food knowledge other than what her mother
taught her. I've never seen butter flavored salt... movie theaters
use plain popcorn salt, fine salt sticks because their popping corn is
popped in oil. Some use butter flavored oil, NOT butter flavored
salt. At home I use an old air popper. It has a small built-in cup
for melting butter but I don't use it, too messy, instead I melt
butter in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and drizzle it over
the popped corn, then sprinkle it with a small amount of regular table
salt from a table salt shaker, it always sticks. Popcorn sprinkled
with popcorn salt tends to become too salty. I suppose if I used
salted butter I'd not need to add salt, but I never buy salted butter.
I have a Wearever Popcorn Pumper Air Popper, has to be 50+ years old,
no longer made, still works perfectly. I no longer have the box it
came in, never thought to save it back then... I'm sure I paid less
than $10 at the time I bought it.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Wearever-Popcorn-Pumper/66752/bn_7023251988

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 18, 2021, 11:39:44 AM9/18/21

Steve Wertz

Sep 18, 2021, 12:58:05 PM9/18/21
On 9/18/2021 11:02 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
Have you seen this?

https://tinyurl.com/py6crk42

Sheldon Martin

Sep 18, 2021, 1:28:15 PM9/18/21
I've been making popcorn at home for more than 50 years and I never
bothered to search for such a thing when plain salt works well and I
always have real butter in the fridge, and I can't imagine any sane
person would pay those prices for artificially flavored salt. I also
think an air popper makes better tasting popcorn... no over
heated/burnt kernels. Plain popping corn is very inexpensive... most
markets keep large plastic sacks of it in the produce section.
It's smart to add a small amount of water to popping corn to rehydrate
a bit it so it pops better/bigger. I keep popping corn in the fridge
in a capped glass mayo jar to keep it from drying out. A very small
amount of popping corn makes a huge amount of popped corn.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 18, 2021, 2:45:35 PM9/18/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:02:46 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 01:27:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
><angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 4:41:04 PM UTC-4, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
>>> >
>>> Popcorn salt on roasted cashews would taste horrific.
>>
>>Really? Are you thinking of butter-flavored popcorn salt?
>>
>>There's plain popcorn salt that's simply finely ground salt.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton
>
>Jill possesses very little food knowledge other than what her mother
>taught her.

She's a very conservative, very white cook.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 18, 2021, 3:36:11 PM9/18/21
My Kroger stocks two of those and they're right next to the bags and jars
of popcorn. Easy to spot and one is in my pantry as I write.

Hank Rogers

Sep 18, 2021, 5:05:31 PM9/18/21
Trying to save face Popeye? After Yoose were proven wrong for about
the billionth time.

But thank yoose for sharing yoose pure ignorance.

jmcquown

Sep 18, 2021, 6:52:55 PM9/18/21
On 9/18/2021 11:02 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 01:27:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Popcorn salt on roasted cashews would taste horrific.
>>
>> Really? Are you thinking of butter-flavored popcorn salt?
>>
>> There's plain popcorn salt that's simply finely ground salt.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>
> Jill possesses very little food knowledge other than what her mother
> taught her. I've never seen butter flavored salt...

My mother didn't teach me how to cook and she didn't cook half the
things I do. And yes, I was thinking butter-flavoured popcorn salt.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 18, 2021, 10:19:55 PM9/18/21
On 9/18/2021 12:15 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote :
>
>> Jill possesses very little food knowledge other than what her mother
>> taught her. I've never seen butter flavored salt...
>
> Your lack of exposure to the real world is astounding.
> Your cooking knowledge is abysmal. And your ability to acquire new
> ideas and grow is nonexistant.

Us young whippersnappers (LOL) better not come in here with these
newfangled ideas! Mea culpa, I *was* thinking about butter-flavored
popcorn salt. I don't buy popcorn salt of any kind so the first thing
that popped in my mind was that wouldn't taste good on roasted nuts.

> Why do you read and post to this news group? You clearly need to find
> another venue for your antiquated, ignorant opinions.

At least he's not still posting quotes from an ancient Barron's Food
Encyclopedia. He doesn't like the idea of Joan's Ninja Foodie multi-pot
cooker. And, according to him, most restaurants serve kasha varnishkas.
So sorry, I've never seen that on a menu anywhere I've ever lived.

Jill