RECIPE: Cold Avocado Soup

1 view

Cryambers

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

This is the recipe I offered Damsel as part of a "soft food" program. I
thought I'd post it for the group-at-large. This makes a wonderful
spring-summer soup. A word of warning: after about 24 hours, the avocado
starts to discolor and the soup begins to get kind of yucky. It's really not
edible after 48 hours. Btw, I rarely use the garnish for this. It's just as
good without it, imo.

pat
****

Cold Avocado Soup
Source: Ellen Helman, _The Uncommon Gourmet_ (1993)
(4 servings)

2 ripe avocados
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
1 clove garlic, mashed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 large tomato, thinly sliced (for garnish)

Peel the avocados. Cut them into chunks, removing the pits. Put the avocado
chunks in a food processor or blender, and puree the fruit until smooth.

Add the lemon juice, onion, chicken broth, sour cream, and seasonings, and
process until blended. Remove the soup to a tureen, cover, and chill for
several hours or overnight.

When ready to serve, spoon the chilled soup into individual bowls. Garnish
each portion with two thin slices of tomato.