Recipe: Crispy Onion Rings

Ramone

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

I like onion rings thin and crispy. I read an article by a chef that
said the secret to making them crispy at home is to soak them in
buttermilk. This recipe proves he was right.

Restaurant-Style Crispy Onion Rings

At restaurants, onions can be sliced very thin on a meat slicer. By
cutting the onions in half first, home cooks can get close to the same
thinness with a knife, though it means sacrificing the ring shape.

2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 cup buttermilk

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
vegetable oil for frying

Separate onions into strips or rings. Mix with buttermilk in a large
bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate 1 hour. Can be prepared 1
day ahead if kept refrigerated.

Stir flour, salt, paprika and cayenne in another large bowl. Drain
onions and discard buttermilk. Add onions to flour mixture and toss
to coat. Pour oil into a heavy saucepan to a depth of 3 inches. Heat
oil to 350 degrees F. Working in small batches, shake excess flour
off of onions and cook in hot oil until golden brown and crispy, about
2 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to paper
towels to drain.

Transfer onions to platter. Season with additional salt to taste and
serve immediately.

Nancy Dooley

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

They also stay crispy if you soak them in ice water for an hour or so
- that is, water with ice cubes floating in it.

On Mon, 26 May 1997 13:56:22 GMT, Ram...@worldnet.att.net (Ramone)
wrote:

Nancy.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature
forever."

Nona Myers

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

On Tue, 27 May 1997 19:26:54 GMT, nancy-...@uiowa.edu (Nancy
Dooley) wrote:

>They also stay crispy if you soak them in ice water for an hour or so
>- that is, water with ice cubes floating in it.

This method is also used for making crispy tempura batter.
--
Nona Myers (happi hapa)
To learn more about hapa: scope out http://www.wenet.net/~hapa/