Ham left out overnight

Paul M. Cook

Nov 29, 2014, 10:30:48 AM11/29/14
I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night. It was on the counter for about
10 hours. It was a fully cooked ham, then roasted per usual so it is twice
cooked. I hate to toss it because it was a quality ham and I have a lot
left. Safe to eat?

---

Brooklyn1

Nov 29, 2014, 10:44:09 AM11/29/14
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

>I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night. It was on the counter for about
>10 hours. It was a fully cooked ham, then roasted per usual so it is twice
>cooked. I hate to toss it because it was a quality ham and I have a lot
>left. Safe to eat?

I doubt there's much risk with a cured ham that was cooked, but to be
safe I'd cook it again; fried ham slices, bean soup... I'd not feed it
to young children or anyone with a compromised immune system. Fry a
couple of slices to eat as a test, if you feel okay within 24 hours
it's be okay to eat. I'll assume you now have it in the fridge.

Paul M. Cook

Nov 29, 2014, 10:50:14 AM11/29/14

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Yes. I also trimmed the outer 1/4 inch off - it was mostly fat anyway. I
gave it a rinse in cold water and it's going to dry uncovered in the fridge
for a couple hours. The plan was to make ham and cheese souffle tonight,
maybe some green bean and ham casserole tomorrow and then a Navy bean soup
with the bone.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Paul M. Cook

Nov 29, 2014, 11:00:56 AM11/29/14

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:30:41 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night. It was on the counter for
>>about
>>10 hours. It was a fully cooked ham, then roasted per usual so it is
>>twice
>>cooked. I hate to toss it because it was a quality ham and I have a lot
>>left. Safe to eat?
>>
> 'How hot was the house ? I wouldn't chuck it if the house was
> coolish. Would check it on myself first, don't give to anyone who is
> delicate until you have.

Probably 68-70F.

Paul M. Cook

Nov 29, 2014, 11:02:31 AM11/29/14

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:30:41 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night.
>
> You said you were having a brined and stuffed pork roast for
> Thanksgiving.

Changed my mind - fathead.

> Gee, yet another lie from Paul.

>> Safe to eat?
>
> Definitely eat the ham.

Go eat yourself. Those tequila hangovers are a bitch, aren't they?

Brooklyn1

Nov 29, 2014, 11:13:49 AM11/29/14
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 09:54:15 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:30:41 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night.
>
>You said you were having a brined and stuffed pork roast for
>Thanksgiving.
>
>Gee, yet another lie from Paul.

Ham is pork.

>> Safe to eat?
>
>Definitely eat the ham.
>
>-sw

meda...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2014, 11:47:19 AM11/29/14
It's probably still frozen in the center.

jmcquown

Nov 29, 2014, 12:03:37 PM11/29/14
On 11/29/2014 11:13 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 09:54:15 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:30:41 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night.
>>
>> You said you were having a brined and stuffed pork roast for
>> Thanksgiving.
>>
>> Gee, yet another lie from Paul.
>
> Ham is pork.

But is ham a stuffed pork roast?

Jill

Paul M. Cook

Nov 29, 2014, 12:11:28 PM11/29/14

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
No, but you wish you were stuffed.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 29, 2014, 12:26:54 PM11/29/14
On 11/29/2014 10:30 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night. It was on the counter for about
> 10 hours. It was a fully cooked ham, then roasted per usual so it is twice
> cooked. I hate to toss it because it was a quality ham and I have a lot
> left. Safe to eat?

Should be OK. Dried hams like prosciutto are left out all the time.

Paul M. Cook

Nov 29, 2014, 12:28:12 PM11/29/14

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
Indeed but that is why they are dried. Bacteria need moisture.

Janet B

Nov 29, 2014, 12:42:34 PM11/29/14
I finally saw a fresh ham at my supermarket. $2.39/pound. I have no
idea how we would eat that much meat.
Janet US
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Paul M. Cook

Nov 29, 2014, 12:53:16 PM11/29/14

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:02:25 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
>>
>>> Definitely eat the ham.
>>
>> Go eat yourself. Those tequila hangovers are a bitch, aren't they?
>
> I'm not the one that got so loaded that I left a ham on the counter
> while I was unconscious for 10 hours.
>
> So you drank tequilla last night, eh?

Have another worm, Poco.

ImStillMags

Nov 29, 2014, 1:11:12 PM11/29/14
It will be fine. Especially if you are re cooking to another form. I would have no problem with it.

Paul M. Cook

Nov 29, 2014, 1:13:07 PM11/29/14

"ImStillMags" <sitar...@gmail.com> wrote in message
OK then. Onward to ham and cheese souufle tonight. My Obamacare policy is
paid so I should be covered just in case.

Cheri

Nov 29, 2014, 1:56:50 PM11/29/14

"Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote in message

> <lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:30:41 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night. It was on the counter for
>>>about
>>>10 hours. It was a fully cooked ham, then roasted per usual so it is
>>>twice
>>>cooked. I hate to toss it because it was a quality ham and I have a lot
>>>left. Safe to eat?
>>>
>> 'How hot was the house ? I wouldn't chuck it if the house was
>> coolish. Would check it on myself first, don't give to anyone who is
>> delicate until you have.
>
> Probably 68-70F.

I'd use it for sure, considering that it's probably a decent sized ham it
took it quite awhile to even reach room temp, assuming you came straight
from the market with it. I might not serve it to guests, just in case, but I
would definitely use it for everything that I would want to use ham in.

Cheri

cshenk

Nov 29, 2014, 1:58:33 PM11/29/14
Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Agreed. Crockpot should be fine. I wouldnt test it that way though.
I'd just cook in a crockpot dish and eat.

cshenk

Nov 29, 2014, 1:59:02 PM11/29/14
Paul M. Cook wrote in rec.food.cooking:
That should work well!

cshenk

Nov 29, 2014, 1:59:59 PM11/29/14
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:30:41 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
> > I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night.
>
> You said you were having a brined and stuffed pork roast for
> Thanksgiving.
>
> Gee, yet another lie from Paul.
>
> > Safe to eat?
>
> Definitely eat the ham.
>
> -sw

So he changed his mind.

cshenk

Nov 29, 2014, 2:02:42 PM11/29/14
Janet B wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Grin, you cook it and eat what you want then you freeze the rest for
other dishes. Same as you would for a regular ham.

Nancy Young

Nov 29, 2014, 2:26:28 PM11/29/14
On 11/29/2014 12:42 PM, Janet B wrote:

> I finally saw a fresh ham at my supermarket. $2.39/pound. I have no
> idea how we would eat that much meat.

I just love fresh ham. no way can I justify making one,
you could feed an army.

nancy

Dave Smith

Nov 29, 2014, 2:49:22 PM11/29/14
True, but they are well cured and they meat is pretty well dried out,
which is why is is served in paper thin slices. You would not be able to
cut into a 1/2 thick slice of prosciutto.

Many years ago we rented a house that was next to an Italian grocery
store. I had qualms about shopping there because they had moldy looking
chunks of ham hanging on hooks over the counter. I used to wonder why
they didn't throw them out because, IMO, they were obviously rotten.
Then someone served us prosciutto. I asked for some on that store one
day and was mortified when I saw the butcher reach up for one of those
moldy looking things. Turns out ...wasn't mold. It was 100% pure
deliciousness.

Jeßus

Nov 29, 2014, 4:19:10 PM11/29/14
wrote:

>I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night. It was on the counter for about
>10 hours. It was a fully cooked ham, then roasted per usual so it is twice
>cooked. I hate to toss it because it was a quality ham and I have a lot
>left. Safe to eat?

Of course it is. Its not going to go bad overnight.

graham

Nov 29, 2014, 4:40:09 PM11/29/14
The trouble is, is it ham or uncured pork that USians call "fresh ham".
Graham

Jeßus

Nov 29, 2014, 4:49:04 PM11/29/14
Arrgh, another one. Thanks for the clarification Graham... I assumed
it would be cured. Still, I would expect under normal conditions that
uncured pork would likely be okay to eat. I'd eat a roast pork left
out overnight under normal circumstances without much concern.

graham

Nov 29, 2014, 6:35:55 PM11/29/14
On 29/11/2014 2:48 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 14:40:20 -0700, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 29/11/2014 2:19 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> Of course it is. Its not going to go bad overnight.
>>>
>> The trouble is, is it ham or uncured pork that USians call "fresh ham".
>> Graham
>
> Arrgh, another one. Thanks for the clarification Graham... I assumed
> it would be cured.

I gather it was, but one can't be sure.

Still, I would expect under normal conditions that
> uncured pork would likely be okay to eat. I'd eat a roast pork left
> out overnight under normal circumstances without much concern.

As would I, with some chutney and fresh bread. I wouldn't re-heat it
anyway, not because the bugs would multiply but because I detest the
flavour of re-heated meat.
Graham

Nancy2

Nov 29, 2014, 10:19:32 PM11/29/14
Paul, re ham and cheese soufflé...I love cheese soufflé, and make it fairly often, but have never
added anything to it. Do you just add diced ham to a regular recipe? Isn't it too heavy so it
sinks to the bottom?

N.

Dave Smith

Nov 29, 2014, 10:23:03 PM11/29/14
I have faked souffles a number of times and they always seem to turn
out. One of my favourites was a seafood souffle. The bits of seafood did
not settle, just stayed in place.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Paul M. Cook

Nov 30, 2014, 12:23:01 PM11/30/14

"Nancy2" <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Basically you shred the ham using a fork. I fold it in to the batter. Yes
it is heavier and does not puff up as much. You won't get the top hat
effect. But it sure does taste good. I guess you could just serve sliced
ham with a cheese souffle as well.

sf

Nov 30, 2014, 1:54:17 PM11/30/14
You could grind your ham in the food processor. I wouldn't use very
much, a little goes a long way.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf

Nov 30, 2014, 6:20:07 PM11/30/14
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 09:22:55 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net>
wrote:

> I guess you could just serve sliced ham with a cheese souffle as well.

Back in the days when I made souffle frequently, cheese was mainly an
accompaniment to pork, sometimes beef. If my souffles had something
else in them it would be a vegetable like spinach or broccoli and they
weren't the main dish.

Dave Smith

Nov 30, 2014, 6:32:05 PM11/30/14
On 2014-11-30 6:20 PM, sf wrote:

> Back in the days when I made souffle frequently, cheese was mainly an
> accompaniment to pork, sometimes beef. If my souffles had something
> else in them it would be a vegetable like spinach or broccoli and they
> weren't the main dish.

People seem to be intimidated by souffles. I have made lots of them over
the years, usually faking it. Forget those complicated instructions
and the warnings. They make things much too complicated. Just remember
the basics. Sepatate the eggs. Make a roux and use that to make a white
sauce that the yolks go into, along with the flavourings of your choice.
Whip the whites. FOLD them into the flavour base and pour the works
into the prepared dish.

One of my best was a seafood souffle, totally faked. I tossed some
shrimp and scallops into some seasoned water to cook. I then used the
poaching liquid for the white sauce base and made individual souffles in
ramekin dishes. They were great.

My favourite dessert souffle was Gran Marnier. I used a recipe for
that but it was the same basic deal... roux, white sauce, add yolks and
flavouring, fold in the beaten whites.

cshenk

Nov 30, 2014, 8:14:42 PM11/30/14
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> Yeah, lets cook it a THIRD time.
>
> The only thing it's good for is ham and bean soup or ham and cabbage
> stew.
>
> -sw

Thats why I said a crockpot. Probably with beans.

sf

Dec 1, 2014, 1:43:59 AM12/1/14
I thought you were going to talk about *really* faking it with bread
crumbs, which I tried and was surprised by how authentically it
behaved and how good it tasted.

Paul M. Cook

Dec 1, 2014, 11:24:42 AM12/1/14

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
Navy bean soup for the rest. I made two delicious ham quiches with some of
it. And I lived.

jmcquown

Dec 1, 2014, 12:27:29 PM12/1/14
He changed his mind but then orgot and left the ham sitting out for
hours. Carol, are you always the champion for people who don't have
many clues?

Jill

Brooklyn1

Dec 1, 2014, 3:35:16 PM12/1/14
On Mon, 1 Dec 2014 08:24:37 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net>
wrote:

I'd have diced it into 3/8"-1/2" cubes, sauted them until crisp, and
baked them into a bread, pizza dough would work well... pork bread is
excellent... and freezes well. There's no exact recipe... add some
provolone if you like.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/754239

Mark Thorson

Dec 1, 2014, 6:56:45 PM12/1/14
Absolutely correct, especially for the U.S. in winter.
If he lives in Australia, it's still very likely safe,
being fully cooked, cured, and probably rather salty.
10 hours is not that long for a ham.

Lots more to worry about from the carcinogenic N-nitroso
compounds formed in your intestines from eating meat
cured with nitrate and/or nitrite salts.

Nancy2

Dec 1, 2014, 10:00:36 PM12/1/14
Thanks, Paul. I may try it the next time I have some ham lying around. It sounds pretty salty, which
probably won't bother me too much. And I cook just for one...me.

N.

Paul M. Cook

Dec 2, 2014, 11:43:57 AM12/2/14

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
At least I know how to spell. Have you orgotten how?

Dave Smith

Dec 2, 2014, 2:11:07 PM12/2/14
On 2014-12-02 11:43 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> He changed his mind but then orgot and left the ham sitting out for hours.
>> Carol, are you always the champion for people who don't have many clues?
>
> At least I know how to spell. Have you orgotten how?

Sometimes we all orget to check out spelling. ;-)

cshenk

Dec 7, 2014, 1:38:45 PM12/7/14
jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Jill, either get a life or learn to quote something I said if you want
a reply. The only think I see is to make a crockpot of the ham.

solarf...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2017, 1:04:03 AM12/6/17
On Sunday, November 30, 2014 at 4:30:48 AM UTC+13, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night. It was on the counter for about
> 10 hours. It was a fully cooked ham, then roasted per usual so it is twice
> cooked. I hate to toss it because it was a quality ham and I have a lot
> left. Safe to eat?
>

> ---

So, what happened? Did you eat it? And were you OK? Asking because I bought a $100 ham yesterday and put it in the fridge but my husband left the fridge door open - it has been 25 degrees C here today - and I want to know what to do with the ham. Keep it and roast it on Xmas day? Keep it and eat it cold? Or chuck it? Thanks

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 6, 2017, 10:36:21 AM12/6/17
Paul has not been heard from for a couple of years bt we don't know if
the ham killed him or not.

The fridge was probably still cool. The ham is also cured so it is not
going to spoil like raw meat. I'd cook and eat it like nothing happened.

Ophelia

Dec 6, 2017, 10:58:23 AM12/6/17
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news:R7UVB.11243$HA4....@fx35.iad...
===

Even if it is 3 years old????

Spot the date:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

jmcquown

Dec 6, 2017, 4:48:53 PM12/6/17
Yes, spot the date of the post the gmail user is replying to. The ham
isn't 3 years old but the post reply is.

Jill

Julie Bove

Dec 7, 2017, 1:01:19 AM12/7/17

<solarf...@gmail.com> wrote in message
---

I think Paul died from eating it. Haven't seen any posts from him in awhile.

Julie Bove

Dec 7, 2017, 1:02:02 AM12/7/17

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
I am voting that it killed him. It's a good story line and I'm sticking with
it. :)

John Kuthe

Dec 7, 2017, 7:37:05 AM12/7/17
:-) Wise Words, Ed! Wise Words!! :-)

Namaste!

John Kuthe...

21kaf...@franklinregional.k12.pa.us

Dec 7, 2017, 10:18:37 AM12/7/17
On Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 10:30:48 AM UTC-5, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> I left my Thanksgiving ham out last night. It was on the counter for about
> 10 hours. It was a fully cooked ham, then roasted per usual so it is twice
> cooked. I hate to toss it because it was a quality ham and I have a lot
> left. Safe to eat?
>

> ---

yea but you might die.

Mike_Duffy

Dec 7, 2017, 11:32:47 AM12/7/17
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 22:01:13 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> Keep it and roast it on Xmas day? Keep it and eat it cold?

Either would be safe. Ham is already cured with salt & sugar; both prevent
bacterial growth. If you are not sure, roast it again as you suggested.
That way, even if there was a small amount of bacterial growth while it
warmed-up the one time the fridge was open, roasting will kill that off.

Note: If you ever have meat that has obviously become spoiled
(discolouration, fetid odour, liquidized putrefication), complete cooking
will kill all bacteria BUT DOES NOT make it safe. In such a case, anerobic
bacteria will have created dangerous toxins that cannot be neutralized by
any amount of cooking. This is not the case with a ham warmed-up for a day.

A. H. Carter

Dec 15, 2017, 9:54:28 PM12/15/17
jmcquown wrote:

> Yes, spot the date of the post the gmail user is replying to. The ham
> isn't 3 years old but the post reply is.
>
> Jill

Or server date is wrong.

Sincerely,

A. H. Carter

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 15, 2017, 9:57:44 PM12/15/17
Nope, server date is indeed correct.

A. H. Carter

Dec 15, 2017, 10:42:43 PM12/15/17
Anyway, the safety of the ham would probably be okay, how much salt was
used in the curing?

I've eaten pizza that I left out overnight.

Years ago, Nat. Geo. had an article about China and some beds consisting
of sides of salted ham. Darned if I can find it.

Sincerely,

A. H. Carter