Rosettes - How far in advance can I make them?

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 15, 2007, 9:58:12 PM12/15/07
Gotta make some for delivery Thursday morning and I don't want to be
doing them that morning as I did last year (what the hell was I
thinking?). Will they still be tasting tan delicioso if I make them
tomorrow afternoon? They'll be nekkid and devoid of any sugary stuff on
top.

Betty Crock's recipe from her cookie book from the mid-1960s or
thereabouts.

Whaddaya say? As always (for Blake) IAYCAA.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Puester

Dec 15, 2007, 10:08:09 PM12/15/07
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Gotta make some for delivery Thursday morning and I don't want to be
> doing them that morning as I did last year (what the hell was I
> thinking?). Will they still be tasting tan delicioso if I make them
> tomorrow afternoon? They'll be nekkid and devoid of any sugary stuff on
> top.
>
> Betty Crock's recipe from her cookie book from the mid-1960s or
> thereabouts.
>
> Whaddaya say? As always (for Blake) IAYCAA.

What's the weather like there? If it's very humid they will get soggy.
As a minimum I'd store them (when cold) in a covered container with
something that will absorb moisture. (Whaddya mean you don't save those
little packets of silica that come in most imported dry goods and say
"Do not eat" on the packet?)

Can you make them any closer to delivery than Sunday?

gloria p

Nancy Young

Dec 15, 2007, 10:23:49 PM12/15/07

"Puester" <pue...@worldnet.att.net> wrote

> (Whaddya mean you don't save those little packets of silica that come in
> most imported dry goods and say "Do not eat" on the packet?)

You mean that wasn't candy packed in with my new VCR?

Heh. nancy

Blinky the Shark

Dec 15, 2007, 10:35:10 PM12/15/07
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Gotta make some for delivery Thursday morning and I don't want to be
> doing them that morning as I did last year (what the hell was I
> thinking?). Will they still be tasting tan delicioso if I make them
> tomorrow afternoon? They'll be nekkid and devoid of any sugary stuff on
> top.

Anyone have any other names for those? I remember my mom and grandmother
making them when I was a lad in the 1950s, but I'm pretty sure we didn't
use that name and not being able to remember what we've called them all
this time has bugged me for years.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

pamjd

Dec 15, 2007, 11:31:00 PM12/15/07

They should be fine. A friend of mine also freezes hers because she
makes them ahead of time. I got some very pretty extra large
snowflake irons at the hardware/gift and cookware shop in Decorah
Iowa. They are about 4" across.

pamjd

Dec 15, 2007, 11:52:14 PM12/15/07
> Iowa.  They are about 4" across.- Hide quoted text -

baking911.com
Helpful Hints
Season the iron before using it for the first time. Keep them dipped
in 350 degrees F oil for about 20 minutes. When done BLOT on a paper
towel.
Heat rosette iron in deep, hot oil (350 to 375 F) for two minutes.
Drain excess oil from iron; dip in batter about 1/2 way. If batter
doesn't adhere to iron, then iron is too hot or too cold. Reheat iron
1 minute; make next rosette. If you have two rosette irons, reheat one
while using the other.
Stir batter from time to time as you will get some oil in it.
After making the rosettes, place them in a single layer on paper
towels on a cookie sheet in a preheated 300 degree F that has been
turned off. Let the cookies cool in there. This keeps them crisp and
they won't get soggy. When cool, sprinkle with a light dusting of
confectioners' sugar. If they are still warm, the sugar will melt into
the cookie.
When using shell-type rosettes, leave the mold in the batter long
enough to give the cup a chance to form.
To make crispier rosettes, cover and refrigerate the batter at least
2 hours before using.
If excess batter adheres to the top of the mold, cook as usual, then
carefully remove the excess with a knife, for easier release.
Rosettes can be stored in airtight containers for months. They also
can be frozen, ready for any occasion. If needed, re-crisp in minutes
in a 300 degrees F oven.

Terry Pulliam Burd

Dec 16, 2007, 12:18:47 AM12/16/07
On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:58:12 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>Gotta make some for delivery Thursday morning and I don't want to be
>doing them that morning as I did last year (what the hell was I
>thinking?). Will they still be tasting tan delicioso if I make them
>tomorrow afternoon? They'll be nekkid and devoid of any sugary stuff on
>top.

Ya mean the rosettes that you make with the iron thingy with the screw
on molds Nordic Ware makes and you cook in hot oil? They keep about as
well as waffles, which is what they are, more or less. I make them
every year along with the rest of my Christmas cookies, but there is
just no way to keep them crisp for more than about 12 hours, and even
that's a stretch. No powdered sugar, as you said, but don't seal them
airtight unless it's humid (and I'm thinkin' Minnysoda ain't so humid
right now). I'd put them out in an enclosed, unheated outbuilding,
such as a garage or shed, in a Tupperware-ish container with the lid
on, but not sealed tight - just enough (as in keeping out the gas
fumes). They'll freeze overnight, but they'll also thaw quickly and if
they've not been exposed to moisture, they should thaw with just
enough moisture to hold the powdered sugar.

If this doesn't work, it's not my fault. This isn't me, it's Charlie
you-know-who's wife, who doesn't know a rosette from the Rose Bowl.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 16, 2007, 3:36:39 PM12/16/07
In article <pan.2007.12.16....@thurston.blinkynet.net>,

Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Gotta make some for delivery Thursday morning and I don't want to be
> > doing them that morning as I did last year (what the hell was I
> > thinking?). Will they still be tasting tan delicioso if I make them
> > tomorrow afternoon? They'll be nekkid and devoid of any sugary stuff on
> > top.
>
> Anyone have any other names for those? I remember my mom and grandmother
> making them when I was a lad in the 1950s, but I'm pretty sure we didn't
> use that name and not being able to remember what we've called them all
> this time has bugged me for years.

Might you be confusing them with krumkake? That's a Scandinavian thang
that requires a rich batter and a special iron, too. These are not
those.

How about timbales? A timbale case is made in the same way but *might*
use a different batter -- IdaKnow about that. Timbales are
deeper/taller and not with all the connections on the inside that make
the design ã more like a cupcake paper. They hold creamed chicken for
Ladies' Bridge Luncheons. '-)

Does that help?

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 16, 2007, 3:38:25 PM12/16/07
In article
<0146afdc-61d4-4fd2...@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>,
pamjd <guppy...@aol.com> wrote:

> They should be fine. A friend of mine also freezes hers because she
> makes them ahead of time. I got some very pretty extra large
> snowflake irons at the hardware/gift and cookware shop in Decorah
> Iowa. They are about 4" across.

Cool beans, Pam! My forms are about 2-1/2 - 3" across and will fit in
my 1 -quart saucepan where I'll do the frying. I don't think I'm going
to freeze these bad boys but I will make at least one batch today, maybe
another on Wednesday, the day before Sandy and I lunch.
Thanks.

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 16, 2007, 3:39:47 PM12/16/07
In article
<efcee730-f7d5-43cc...@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
pamjd <guppy...@aol.com> wrote:

> Rosettes can be stored in airtight containers for months. They also
> can be frozen, ready for any occasion. If needed, re-crisp in minutes
> in a 300 degrees F oven.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
I'll store these in loosely covered boxes or containers until delivery
on Thursday.
-B

pamjd

Dec 16, 2007, 5:04:06 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 12:39�pm, Melba's Jammin' <barbschal...@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> In article
> <efcee730-f7d5-43cc-9be4-7968f0620...@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> �pamjd <guppy21...@aol.com> wrote:
> > � Rosettes can be stored in airtight containers for months. They also
> > can be frozen, ready for any occasion. If needed, re-crisp in minutes
> > in a 300 degrees F oven.
>
> That's what I wanted to hear. �Thanks.
> I'll store these in loosely covered boxes or containers until delivery
> on Thursday.
> -B
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted tohttp://www.jamlady.eboard.com;10-16-2007

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/cooky/rosette.htm

This site has the extra large and really pretty irons. I have 5 of
the large snowflakes and the santa one. They are about $6.50 each for
the large ones.

Blinky the Shark

Dec 16, 2007, 7:38:47 PM12/16/07
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <pan.2007.12.16....@thurston.blinkynet.net>,
> Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > Gotta make some for delivery Thursday morning and I don't want to be
>> > doing them that morning as I did last year (what the hell was I
>> > thinking?). Will they still be tasting tan delicioso if I make them
>> > tomorrow afternoon? They'll be nekkid and devoid of any sugary stuff on
>> > top.
>>
>> Anyone have any other names for those? I remember my mom and grandmother
>> making them when I was a lad in the 1950s, but I'm pretty sure we didn't
>> use that name and not being able to remember what we've called them all
>> this time has bugged me for years.
>
> Might you be confusing them with krumkake? That's a Scandinavian thang
> that requires a rich batter and a special iron, too. These are not
> those.
>
> How about timbales? A timbale case is made in the same way but *might*
> use a different batter -- IdaKnow about that. Timbales are
> deeper/taller and not with all the connections on the inside that make
> the design ã more like a cupcake paper. They hold creamed chicken for
> Ladies' Bridge Luncheons. '-)

I'm familiar with both, but I *think* only from other attempts to come up
with an answer. They were definitly of the variety that uses irons that
make the product look like a snowflake or the petals on a flower or
whatever; i.e. not the ones made on conical irons.

Nancy Young

Dec 16, 2007, 7:53:13 PM12/16/07

"Blinky the Shark" <no....@box.invalid> wrote

> I'm familiar with both, but I *think* only from other attempts to come up

> with an answer. They were definitly of the variety that uses irons that
> make the product look like a snowflake or the petals on a flower or
> whatever; i.e. not the ones made on conical irons.

All this time I thought Melba was talking about something else.
What a dufus.

I actually have rosette irons and the instructions included say
"Rosettes will keep fresh and crisp for several weeks if stored
airtight. Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar."

nancy

Tara

Dec 17, 2007, 7:32:47 PM12/17/07
On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:35:10 -0800, Blinky the Shark
<no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>Anyone have any other names for those? I remember my mom and grandmother
>making them when I was a lad in the 1950s, but I'm pretty sure we didn't
>use that name and not being able to remember what we've called them all
>this time has bugged me for years.

I'm curious, too. My grandmother on the North Dakota side of my
family used to make some sort of fried dough delicacy. It was a fancy
iron dipped in batter, fried in oil, then sprinkled with sugar. She
says she never made rosettes. I don't know the name for these and she
doesn't remember making them. She is of sound mind. I don't know --
maybe I'm remembering someone else from that side of the family. I'd
love to have some, whatever they were. She did / does make a good
deal of Scandinavian and German treats like lefse and pfefferneuse.

Tara

Blinky the Shark

Dec 17, 2007, 7:37:11 PM12/17/07
Tara wrote:

To expand my own datapoint: my Grandmother (it was a three-generation
home) was part German (I think it was her first language as a little
girl), and we were in Michigan.

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 18, 2007, 9:49:48 AM12/18/07
In article <035em39jifrdvllnd...@4ax.com>,
Tara <jarv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Can you ask her what they were called when she made them?

Goro use a special iron, krumkake use a special iron, pizzelle use a
special iron.

Sounds like she was making rosettes by another name, though.

gcho...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2018, 11:42:50 AM12/17/18
Surgered Rosettes

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 17, 2018, 12:01:43 PM12/17/18
On 12/17/2018 11:42 AM, gcho...@gmail.com wrote:
> Surgered Rosettes

Depends on how you store them. Couple of days is easy. Couple of weeks
needs a dry container like a metal can on a not humid day. Make sure
they are well cooled before covering.

Nancy2

Dec 17, 2018, 1:08:19 PM12/17/18
Who keeps dragging out all the super-old posts, and why??

N.