The Beaufort Oyster Festival

jmcquown

Jan 18, 2023, 5:04:34 PM1/18/23
This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)

Info about the Oyster Festival:

https://www.beaufortsc.org/events/the-beaufort-oyster-festival/

A sampling of food that will be available from local restaurants:

https://bfthospitality.com/beaufort-oyster-festival-food/

Jill

Bryan Simmons

Jan 18, 2023, 5:08:34 PM1/18/23
On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 4:04:34 PM UTC-6, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)

Oysters are reputed to be an aphrodisiac.
Maybe you should invite Gary.

> Jill

--Bryan

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 18, 2023, 5:09:17 PM1/18/23
On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 4:04:34 PM UTC-6, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:

Thank goodness other goodies will be available other than oysters.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 18, 2023, 5:10:06 PM1/18/23
That's a myth and everybody knows it.

bob

Jan 18, 2023, 5:29:05 PM1/18/23
Looks and sounds great! I love oysters.. half shell and every way possible!

A very cool small and lovely town!

Boats, oysters and southern charm.. hard to beat!

https://www.southernliving.com/souths-best/beaufort-nc

Dave Smith

Jan 18, 2023, 5:37:49 PM1/18/23
I don't know about them being an aphrodisiac, but I always find them to
be like a tonic. Any time I have had raw oysters I feel good.

jmcquown

Jan 18, 2023, 5:48:43 PM1/18/23
On 1/18/2023 5:10 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 4:08:34 PM UTC-6, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 4:04:34 PM UTC-6, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
>>> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
>>> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
>>> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
>>>
>> Oysters are reputed to be an aphrodisiac.
>> Maybe you should invite Gary.
>>
>> --Bryan
>>
> That's a myth and everybody knows it.

It's certainly a myth that I would invite Gary anywhere!

Jill

GM

Jan 18, 2023, 5:59:03 PM1/18/23
The most shocking thing is that Pwincess Jill has "friends"...

It must be a huge step down for HRH to have to mingle with The Ordinary Folk, lol...

Or maybe she is just doing a Royal "walkabout"...

--
GM

jmcquown

Jan 18, 2023, 6:00:06 PM1/18/23
Yes, it's nice little town, bob, but that Southern Living article is
about Beaufort, North Carolina (they pronounce it Bow-fort). I'm in
South Carolina and here it's pronounced Bew-fort. :)

Try this one:

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/south-carolina/beaufort-sc

Jill

Bruce

Jan 18, 2023, 6:05:08 PM1/18/23
On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:59:55 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
The North Carolinians are correct.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

bob

Jan 18, 2023, 6:10:07 PM1/18/23
Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know there was an imposter. (:
They both look to be lovely!

jmcquown

Jan 18, 2023, 6:49:48 PM1/18/23
Oh, I'm sure the one in NC is lovely. I don't know if they have an
Oyster Festival this weekend, though. :)

Jill

jmcquown

Jan 18, 2023, 6:54:48 PM1/18/23
Not everyone likes oysters. I definitely don't care for raw oysters (or
any raw seafood/fish) but I'll eat breaded & fried oysters and oysters
in a stew or chowder.

I got a kick out of a mention somewhere on that site about "vegan
oysters". I'm sorry, what sort of weird concoction could they possibly
come up with to make faux oysters and call them "vegan"?

Jill

bob

Jan 18, 2023, 7:20:02 PM1/18/23
In that part of the world.. I've only been to Charleston. Stayed on
Kiawah Island. Loved it!

Hank Rogers

Jan 18, 2023, 7:32:49 PM1/18/23
Too bad you can't invite Popeye. No aphrodisiac needed for yoose to
get a good humping.

Thomas

Jan 18, 2023, 7:48:27 PM1/18/23
Looks like my kind of a good time. I did bar harbour ME a few times and loved it.

jmcquown

Jan 18, 2023, 7:50:30 PM1/18/23
Beaufort SC is about 125 miles south of Charleston. Charleston is very
nice, don't get me wrong. (I've never been to Kiawah Island, can't
speak to that.) Charleston is also a much larger city. It has a
population of at least 150,000 people. Beaufort SC, OTOH, has about
14,000 people. It makes a big difference in the feel of things.

Beaufort SC is not a bustling city. It's still very quaint, very
charming. Lots of nice restaurants. Taking a walk down Bay Street to
look in shops and stop and have lunch is very pleasant. And of course
things like this Oyster Festival. There will be a Shrimp Festival later
in the year once the shrimp start running again. :)

Jill

jmcquown

Jan 18, 2023, 8:07:15 PM1/18/23
On 1/18/2023 5:37 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I don't know about them being an aphrodisiac, but I always find them to
> be like a tonic. Any time I have had raw oysters I feel good.

I don't care for raw oysters or clams, etc. I do enjoy them cooked in
various ways. Good food makes me feel good. :)

Jill

Bruce

Jan 18, 2023, 8:47:43 PM1/18/23
On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:07:05 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
You'd be in quite a pickle if it made you feel bad.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Sqwertz

Jan 19, 2023, 12:43:39 AM1/19/23
On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:04:23 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)

You can trust a weather report 4 days out? I do see it is 4% on
Saturday and 100% on Sunday - up to an inch of rain, clearing
late.

I'll believe it when you see it.

I gave up on "festivals" 25 years ago when they starting gouging
your eyes out for admittance and then raping you after you got
inside.

OTOH, free entry and corn dogs for $2. I'll be there! (how much
you wanna bet they're out of corn dogs...)

-sw

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 19, 2023, 4:36:25 AM1/19/23
Mushrooms and seaweed. These guys are also using cell culture:

https://www.ecowatch.com/vegan-oysters.html

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 19, 2023, 4:44:12 AM1/19/23
On 2023-01-19, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:04:23 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
>> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
>> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
>> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
>
> You can trust a weather report 4 days out?

It depends on how well the models work for a given area. For my area,
the European model gives better results for longer-range forecasts
(more than four days out), but the GFS is better short-term.

https://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/122/

Of course, a good meteorologist has to interpret the results properly.
I'm not sure the models take into account the ice conditions on
Lake Michigan, which can have a profound effect on the weather here.

They're predicting about 3 inches of snow over next Tuesday and
Wednesday. We'll see how that goes.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Jan 19, 2023, 7:58:12 AM1/19/23
Huh?

Gary

Jan 19, 2023, 8:02:27 AM1/19/23
On 1/18/2023 6:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/18/2023 5:09 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 4:04:34 PM UTC-6,
>> j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
>>> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
>>> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
>>> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
>>>
>>> Info about the Oyster Festival:
>>>
>>> https://www.beaufortsc.org/events/the-beaufort-oyster-festival/
>>>
>>> A sampling of food that will be available from local restaurants:
>>>
>>> https://bfthospitality.com/beaufort-oyster-festival-food/
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>> Thank goodness other goodies will be available other than oysters.
>
> Not everyone likes oysters.  I definitely don't care for raw oysters (or
> any raw seafood/fish) but I'll eat breaded & fried oysters and oysters
> in a stew or chowder.

Same with me. Just a tiny bit of cooking ups the taste.

Dave Smith

Jan 19, 2023, 9:53:16 AM1/19/23
On 2023-01-19 12:43 a.m., Sqwertz wrote:

> You can trust a weather report 4 days out? I do see it is 4% on
> Saturday and 100% on Sunday - up to an inch of rain, clearing
> late.
>
> I'll believe it when you see it.
>
> I gave up on "festivals" 25 years ago when they starting gouging
> your eyes out for admittance and then raping you after you got
> inside.
>
> OTOH, free entry and corn dogs for $2. I'll be there! (how much
> you wanna bet they're out of corn dogs...)

Pre Covid there was a food festival in a nearby city. We went a few
times and it was pretty good. Various restaurants were set up and they
were selling appetizer sized portions of some of their dishes for an
attractive price. It was promotional. After a while the portions were
smaller and the prices were higher. The last time I went they had
eliminated cash at the vendors and switched to Bite Bucks. The prices
were basically the same but in Bite Bucks. The kicker was that it cost
$5 for 4 Bite bucks. We stopped going. I saw no point in paying outrages
prices to sample foods that were being promoted.

Bryan Simmons

Jan 19, 2023, 10:30:59 AM1/19/23
On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 11:43:39 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:04:23 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
> > just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
> > with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
> > supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
> You can trust a weather report 4 days out? I do see it is 4% on
> Saturday and 100% on Sunday - up to an inch of rain, clearing
> late.
>
> I'll believe it when you see it.
>
> I gave up on "festivals" 25 years ago when they starting gouging
> your eyes out for admittance and then raping you after you got
> inside.

High priced marginal food, and high priced bad beer.

> OTOH, free entry and corn dogs for $2. I'll be there! (how much
> you wanna bet they're out of corn dogs...)

I'd say $2 is $2 too much for a corn dog, but the
dealbreaker for me is porta-potties.

> -sw

--Bryan

dsi1

Jan 19, 2023, 1:36:17 PM1/19/23
On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 12:04:34 PM UTC-10, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
>
> Info about the Oyster Festival:
>
> https://www.beaufortsc.org/events/the-beaufort-oyster-festival/
>
> A sampling of food that will be available from local restaurants:
>
> https://bfthospitality.com/beaufort-oyster-festival-food/
>
> Jill

I love that guy. Buford T. Justice is a very funny guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjLUPXLPvKo

GM

Jan 19, 2023, 2:33:43 PM1/19/23
The only reason for an advanced civilization to visit another planet is to see if there is another
civilization which has invented things it has not, and perhaps could not invent. Invented resources
are thus unlimited in scale and scope, and can be discovered only in unique places in the cosmos...

Interstellar travel is essentially not travel through cosmic space but travel through possibility space...

You visit another planet to visit other possible minds to see if they have thought of fabulous technologies
your collective minds cannot reach...

Every day a few probes of these billions of interstellar civilizations visit our planet scoping out our technological state...

These technological probes appear briefly in order to see us, and disappear once they have inspected our inventory.
So far we have little to offer; nothing that can’t be found on millions of other planets...

😎

--
GM

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 2:50:21 PM1/19/23
Old Anglos can't handle raw oysters or sushi :)

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Sqwertz

Jan 19, 2023, 3:07:39 PM1/19/23
All the major festivals around here (we have lots of music
festivals) offer an upgraded VIP tier ticket which includes access
to air conditioned bathrooms (elevated portable trailers) with
running water and free bottled water in the "VIP Tent". For
something like ACL, that upgrade is $1,300.

https://www.aclfestival.com/tickets

I think Platinum tickets (an extra $5,200) get you unlimited blow
jobs and a pedicure.

-sw

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 19, 2023, 3:20:14 PM1/19/23
On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 1:50:21 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> Old Anglos can't handle raw oysters or sushi :)
>
> Bruce

I didn't like raw oysters in my late teens/early twenties and still don't care
for them cooked but I can tolerate tiny smoked oysters. However, I have
had oysters Rockefeller and they were scrumptious, but I think it was the
toppings that I was enjoying and not the oyster. But sushi I do like.

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 3:24:51 PM1/19/23
Well, it was a generalisation, but Jill and Gary fit.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 19, 2023, 4:18:27 PM1/19/23
> Bruce

So do I.

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 4:19:22 PM1/19/23
On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 13:18:23 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 2:24:51 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 12:20:10 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>> >I didn't like raw oysters in my late teens/early twenties and still don't care
>> >for them cooked but I can tolerate tiny smoked oysters. However, I have
>> >had oysters Rockefeller and they were scrumptious, but I think it was the
>> >toppings that I was enjoying and not the oyster. But sushi I do like.
>> >
>> Well, it was a generalisation, but Jill and Gary fit.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>So do I.

But you like sushi.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 19, 2023, 4:31:31 PM1/19/23
On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 3:19:22 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> But you like sushi.
>
> Bruce

And??

Dave Smith

Jan 19, 2023, 4:37:52 PM1/19/23
I got into smoked oysters in my 20s. I ate them often enough that I got
sick of them. I didn't eat them for years and never missed them. Then a
few years ago I had a can of them and I realized again how tasty they
are. I learned to have them only of there are enough people around to
help me eat them.

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 4:48:31 PM1/19/23
You snipped a bit enthusiastically.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 4:55:05 PM1/19/23
On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:37:45 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2023-01-19 3:20 p.m., itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 1:50:21 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Old Anglos can't handle raw oysters or sushi :)
>>>
>> I didn't like raw oysters in my late teens/early twenties and still don't care
>> for them cooked but I can tolerate tiny smoked oysters. However, I have
>> had oysters Rockefeller and they were scrumptious, but I think it was the
>> toppings that I was enjoying and not the oyster. But sushi I do like.
>
>I got into smoked oysters in my 20s. I ate them often enough that I got
>sick of them. I didn't eat them for years and never missed them. Then a
>few years ago I had a can of them and I realized again how tasty they
>are. I learned to have them only of there are enough people around to
>help me eat them.

Allow me to summarize:
Dave Smith is born: Dave Smith does not like smoked oysters
Dave Smith is in his 20s: Dave Smith likes smoked oysters
Between Dave Smith' 20s and a few years ago: Dave Smith is sick of
smoked oysters
A few years ago: Dave Smith finds smoked oysters tasty if enough
people around

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

jmcquown

Jan 19, 2023, 5:29:36 PM1/19/23
I suppose some people might like them but they appear to be "'oysters'
on the half shell" which are not my cup of tea. They would probably be
unsuitable as a substitute for any other oyster concoctions.

Jill

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 6:46:58 PM1/19/23
On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 17:29:26 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Just go eat some smoked brisket and stop bitching about something that
has absolutely nothing to do with you.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

jmcquown

Jan 19, 2023, 7:35:12 PM1/19/23
On 1/19/2023 4:44 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-01-19, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:04:23 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
>>> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
>>> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
>>> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
>>
>> You can trust a weather report 4 days out?

Generally, yes.

> It depends on how well the models work for a given area. For my area,
> the European model gives better results for longer-range forecasts
> (more than four days out), but the GFS is better short-term.

The Weather Channel: European model and the American model for this
area are usually pretty darn close. That, and I'm rather familiar with
the weather patterns here. It was 72° today but the temps were already
dropping at 4pm today and tomorrow it will only be in the 60's.
Saturday, high temp about 55 so at Waterfront Park I'll at least be
carrying a light jacket and wearing jeans. This time of year it feels
chillier right near the water, especially in the open expanse of
Waterfront Park on the bay. It might even be windy.

> https://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/122/
>
> Of course, a good meteorologist has to interpret the results properly.
> I'm not sure the models take into account the ice conditions on
> Lake Michigan, which can have a profound effect on the weather here.
>
> They're predicting about 3 inches of snow over next Tuesday and
> Wednesday. We'll see how that goes.

I'd be interested to hear how those model predictions turned out. Do
you want some snow? 3" snowfall is nothing. LOL Do you need the
moisture from the snow melt?

Jill

cshenk

Jan 19, 2023, 8:21:55 PM1/19/23
jmcquown wrote:

> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
>
> Info about the Oyster Festival:
>
> https://www.beaufortsc.org/events/the-beaufort-oyster-festival/
>
> A sampling of food that will be available from local restaurants:
>
> https://bfthospitality.com/beaufort-oyster-festival-food/
>
> Jill

Have fun!

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 8:37:25 PM1/19/23
On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 01:21:45 +0000, "cshenk"
<csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
>> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
>> with friends this weekend.

Friends, yeah, right. Just imaginary as that SO you once had.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

jmcquown

Jan 19, 2023, 8:40:08 PM1/19/23
We surely will, thanks!

Jill

Michael Trew

Jan 19, 2023, 10:12:55 PM1/19/23
On 1/19/2023 7:58, Gary wrote:
> On 1/18/2023 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/18/2023 5:10 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

>>> That's a myth and everybody knows it.
>>
>> It's certainly a myth that I would invite Gary anywhere!
>>
>> Jill
>
> Huh?

Sorry Gary, Jill is not inviting you to go with her to the The Beaufort
Oyster Festival. I'm sure that you're heartbroken ;)

Michael Trew

Jan 19, 2023, 10:14:24 PM1/19/23
Sushi is good as long as there is no raw fish. I don't trust
preparation and storage, for one... but mainly, raw flesh gives me the
hee-bee jeebies.

Grandma makes a small oyster casserole for Thanksgiving, and I always
like to have some. I have no interest in trying raw oysters.

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 10:22:09 PM1/19/23
It must be sad for Gary that Jill would rather go with imaginary
friends than with Gary.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Bruce

Jan 19, 2023, 10:23:27 PM1/19/23
On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 22:14:24 -0500, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 1/19/2023 15:20, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 1:50:21 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Old Anglos can't handle raw oysters or sushi :)
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>> I didn't like raw oysters in my late teens/early twenties and still don't care
>> for them cooked but I can tolerate tiny smoked oysters. However, I have
>> had oysters Rockefeller and they were scrumptious, but I think it was the
>> toppings that I was enjoying and not the oyster. But sushi I do like.
>
>Sushi is good as long as there is no raw fish. I don't trust
>preparation and storage, for one... but mainly, raw flesh gives me the
>hee-bee jeebies.

That's very Anglo of you. So that already makes Jill, Gary and
Michael. Joan's excluded, although she doesn't fully understand from
what.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

dsi1

Jan 20, 2023, 2:49:27 AM1/20/23
My auntie used to make maki sushi - with no raw fish. She had a restaurant and back in the old days, that was the sushi that everybody's auntie made for parties. Nobody was making sushi with raw fish back then. Congrats to these guys for getting this Hawaiian sushi correct. These days, I rarely ever see this old-fashioned dish. That's a shame.

https://www.acouplecooks.com/maki-sushi-recipe/

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 20, 2023, 5:04:34 AM1/20/23
On 2023-01-20, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear how those model predictions turned out. Do
> you want some snow? 3" snowfall is nothing. LOL Do you need the
> moisture from the snow melt?

I don't want any snow. I'd be happy if it fell as rain. We are
allegedly in a severe drought. Of course, drought in an area that
averages 38 inches of rain per year is a little different from drought
in an area that averages 7 inches per year.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Jan 20, 2023, 9:41:13 AM1/20/23
Again I ask, "Huh?"

bruce bowser

Jan 20, 2023, 1:42:45 PM1/20/23
On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 5:04:34 PM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown. I'm planning to attend
> with friends this weekend. (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
>
> Info about the Oyster Festival:
>
> https://www.beaufortsc.org/events/the-beaufort-oyster-festival/

Wow. I hear they have quite an airshow (in late April), too.

jmcquown

Jan 20, 2023, 2:32:33 PM1/20/23
Apparently he missed the part where Bryan wrote "Oysters are reputed to
be an aphrodisiac. Maybe you should invite Gary." :)

Jill

Hank Rogers

Jan 20, 2023, 7:17:49 PM1/20/23
Gary couldn't do it. Only Popeye could breach a really old crusty
seized up vagina.

You missed your chance though. He's incarcerated for life, in a
fancy nursing home.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jan 21, 2023, 12:03:55 AM1/21/23
On 2023-01-19, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
> On 1/18/2023 6:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Not everyone likes oysters.  I definitely don't care for raw oysters (or
>> any raw seafood/fish) but I'll eat breaded & fried oysters and oysters
>> in a stew or chowder.

> Same with me. Just a tiny bit of cooking ups the taste.

We have a casino that may, or may not, still have "John's Oyster Bar".
John sold the joint years ago. John sold crab, shrimp and oysters in
various configurations including stews and salads.
My favorite was a crab salad on an English muffin, but I also ate
combo stews, the salads, gumbos and oysters on the half-shell.
I even saw Ed Ames there once! "Who?", a youngster would say.
I would attend the Beaufort Oyster Festival, in a second, if Star Trek
transporters existed. I'd eat oysters on the half-shell and love it. :)

Leonard Blaisdell

Jan 21, 2023, 12:28:27 AM1/21/23
On 2023-01-20, Cindy Hamilton <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

> I don't want any snow. I'd be happy if it fell as rain. We are
> allegedly in a severe drought. Of course, drought in an area that
> averages 38 inches of rain per year is a little different from drought
> in an area that averages 7 inches per year.

I never want snow either. I have to shovel. I do like snow in the
mountains to the west of us. Otherwise, we'd dry up and blow away.
This year, the mountains are going gangbusters.

Bruce

Jan 21, 2023, 12:31:21 AM1/21/23
On 21 Jan 2023 05:28:21 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Climate change, you know. We have to become sustainable.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Leonard Blaisdell

Jan 21, 2023, 2:08:09 AM1/21/23
On 2023-01-21, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Climate change, you know. We have to become sustainable.

There is no "sustainable". Ever hear of entropy?

Bruce

Jan 21, 2023, 2:15:10 AM1/21/23
On 21 Jan 2023 07:08:03 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Ok, tell us your theory.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jan 21, 2023, 4:02:39 AM1/21/23
On 2023-01-21, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2023 07:08:03 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
><leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>There is no "sustainable". Ever hear of entropy?

> Ok, tell us your theory.

Google entropy. You were entropic as you typed the above.
Tic, tic, tic...

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 21, 2023, 4:36:04 AM1/21/23
Entropy might take a long time to give us a problem. At some point,
we'll have burned every drop of oil that we can extract (even if we
devise improved extraction methods). Why wait until we're in a jam?
Why continue fouling our nest?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jan 21, 2023, 4:46:04 AM1/21/23
On 21 Jan 2023 09:02:31 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2023-01-21, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 21 Jan 2023 07:08:03 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
>><leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>>There is no "sustainable". Ever hear of entropy?
>
>> Ok, tell us your theory.
>
>Google entropy. You were entropic as you typed the above.
>Tic, tic, tic...

I'm too old for homework. Say what you have to say or forever hold
your tongue.

Bruce

Jan 21, 2023, 4:49:38 AM1/21/23
And why does being a right-wing conservative mean you don't want to
conserve the planet, but you want to ruin it? Why can't right-wingers
be environmentalists? We're all sitting on the same branch. If it
snaps, we're all gone.

bruce bowser

Jan 21, 2023, 2:24:02 PM1/21/23
Shouldn't you know? The right wing in Holland doesn't care about conserving the planet. Why should the right wing in the United States or the UK? Double space. Don't forget to double space. [Zou je het niet moeten weten? De rechtervleugel in Nederland geeft niet om het behoud van de planeet. Waarom zou de rechtervleugel in de Verenigde Staten of het Verenigd Koninkrijk? Dubbele ruimte, vergeet niet om dubbele ruimte te gebruiken.]

Bruce

Jan 21, 2023, 2:35:35 PM1/21/23
On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 11:23:58 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
<bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 4:49:38 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:35:57 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
>> <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>> >Entropy might take a long time to give us a problem. At some point,
>> >we'll have burned every drop of oil that we can extract (even if we
>> >devise improved extraction methods). Why wait until we're in a jam?
>> >Why continue fouling our nest?
>> >
>> And why does being a right-wing conservative mean you don't want to
>> conserve the planet, but you want to ruin it? Why can't right-wingers
>> be environmentalists?
>
>Shouldn't you know? The right wing in Holland doesn't care about conserving the planet. Why should the right wing in the United States or the UK?

You tell me. It's not just the American right-wing. It's worldwide.
It's time for a movement of right-wing greens, the Green Tea Party.

bruce bowser

Jan 22, 2023, 8:16:19 AM1/22/23
Impossible. There is no more Tea Party, so how can there be a Green Tea Party? [Onmogelijk. Er is geen Thee Partij meer, dus hoe kan er een Groene Thee Partij zijn?]

jmcquown

Jan 22, 2023, 8:54:03 AM1/22/23
On 1/18/2023 5:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> This is a fun event held downtown in Waterfront Park which is located
> just off the main drag (Bay Street) downtown.  I'm planning to attend
> with friends this weekend.   (Saturday or Sunday to be decided; it's
> supposed to rain Sunday so likely will be Saturday.)
>
> Info about the Oyster Festival:
>
> https://www.beaufortsc.org/events/the-beaufort-oyster-festival/
>
> A sampling of food that will be available from local restaurants:
>
> https://bfthospitality.com/beaufort-oyster-festival-food/
>
> Jill

It was fun! Food-wise, I had fried oyster wontons and oyster "pot pie".
Nice! One of my friends had half a dozen oysters on the half shell;
the other a "basket" of fried oysters. They each got a grilled all beef
hot dog, too. We ran into some friends from the building where I work.
Seems like everyone was having a good time.

Weatherwise, Saturday was the best day to go. It was sunny but chilly
and breezy on the waterfront. And yes, the weather predictions were
accurate. It's pouring down rain already today. Waterfront Park will
be waterlogged.

Jill

Sqwertz

Jan 22, 2023, 11:09:17 AM1/22/23
On Sun, 22 Jan 2023 08:53:56 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> It was fun! Food-wise, I had fried oyster wontons and oyster "pot pie".
> Nice! One of my friends had half a dozen oysters on the half shell;
> the other a "basket" of fried oysters. They each got a grilled all beef
> hot dog, too.

Prices and waits in line?

> Weatherwise, Saturday was the best day to go. It was sunny but chilly
> and breezy on the waterfront. And yes, the weather predictions were
> accurate. It's pouring down rain already today.

Heresay!

-sw

Bruce

Jan 22, 2023, 12:10:20 PM1/22/23
Just start the party. If you're a green right-winger, that is.

bruce bowser

Jan 22, 2023, 2:40:02 PM1/22/23
They're on the west coast of the United States. [Ze liggen lang de Verenigde Staten westkust].

Bruce

Jan 22, 2023, 3:13:09 PM1/22/23
On Sun, 22 Jan 2023 11:39:58 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
<bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 12:10:20 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Jan 2023 05:16:16 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
>> <bruce1....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Impossible. There is no more Tea Party, so how can there be a Green Tea Party? [Onmogelijk. Er is geen Thee Partij meer, dus hoe kan er een Groene Thee Partij zijn?]
>> Just start the party. If you're a green right-winger, that is.
>
>They're on the west coast of the United States. [Ze liggen lang de Verenigde Staten westkust].

The coasts are the intelligent parts of your country. That's also a
worldwide thing. If people live too far from the ocean, they become
narrow minded and dumb.

Graham

Jan 22, 2023, 4:11:23 PM1/22/23
On 2023-01-22 1:13 p.m., Bruce wrote:

> The coasts are the intelligent parts of your country. That's also a
> worldwide thing. If people live too far from the ocean, they become
> narrow minded and dumb.

That doesn't explain Trump! He's always lived in the margins and is as
dumb as a bag of bricks according to his educators.

GM

Jan 22, 2023, 4:16:56 PM1/22/23
Are any of his "educators" BILLIONAIRES, Graham...???

Or did one of them ever become PRESIDENT...???

<chuckle>

MAGA... Trump 2024...!!!

O:-)

--
GM

Bruce

Jan 22, 2023, 4:38:54 PM1/22/23
Did he live on the coast(s)?

Graham

Jan 22, 2023, 4:50:01 PM1/22/23
New York and now Florida.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 22, 2023, 5:31:09 PM1/22/23
"If", not "if and only if".

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jan 22, 2023, 6:04:50 PM1/22/23
Well, I was generalising. Not everybody who lives far from the ocean
is narrow minded and dumb, and vice versa. But I see a trend. Look at
the Austrians!

Thomas

Jan 22, 2023, 6:32:09 PM1/22/23
Glad it was a good time.

bruce bowser

Jan 23, 2023, 7:56:23 AM1/23/23
And Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Belorussia.

bruce bowser

Jan 23, 2023, 8:10:57 AM1/23/23
Ik heb al een linkse partij. Bedankt voor het aanbod.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jan 23, 2023, 9:05:57 PM1/23/23
On 2023-01-22, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> It was fun! Food-wise, I had fried oyster wontons and oyster "pot pie".
> Nice! One of my friends had half a dozen oysters on the half shell;
> the other a "basket" of fried oysters. They each got a grilled all beef
> hot dog, too. We ran into some friends from the building where I work.
> Seems like everyone was having a good time.

Missed you! The transporter wasn't ready. :(

leo

Leonard Blaisdell

Jan 24, 2023, 1:39:29 AM1/24/23
On 2023-01-21, Cindy Hamilton <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Entropy might take a long time to give us a problem. At some point,
> we'll have burned every drop of oil that we can extract (even if we
> devise improved extraction methods). Why wait until we're in a jam?
> Why continue fouling our nest?

Because we have to. I don't know when humanity's great run will end, but
it will. Entropy. The good news is that other organisms will survive
until the Sun swallows them up.
Root for physics and engineering. They're all we got, but they also may
destroy us. Entropy.
I sound like a weak example of Malthus, but at some point, I'll be right.
When the first idiot fires off a nuke, climate change and fossil energy
production will become a distant memory, immediately.
Look to the now, not the future.

Dave Smith

Jan 24, 2023, 9:27:01 AM1/24/23
On 2023-01-24 1:39 a.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2023-01-21, Cindy Hamilton <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Entropy might take a long time to give us a problem. At some point,
>> we'll have burned every drop of oil that we can extract (even if we
>> devise improved extraction methods). Why wait until we're in a jam?
>> Why continue fouling our nest?
>

> Because we have to. I don't know when humanity's great run will end, but
> it will. Entropy. The good news is that other organisms will survive
> until the Sun swallows them up.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for the next generation. Our population
is growing at an alarming rate. Last night I got around to watching On
The Beach which I had PVRed months ago.

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 1:32:22 PM1/24/23
It's good that you're keeping your posts a lot shorter, but this
doesn't make much sense. Who's "Our"? What's "On The Beach"? I'm
assuming PVR is some old school recording system for boomers?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 24, 2023, 2:45:18 PM1/24/23
> Bruce

"On The Beach" was an Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck movie. I'm not sure
what PVR is, maybe he meant to type DVR?

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 2:49:35 PM1/24/23
Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck, ok. That's going back in time to the
dinosaurs. Digital Video Recording? Personal Video Recording?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Jan 24, 2023, 2:51:34 PM1/24/23
As I recall, it's a highly compressed video format that allows one to burn a movie onto a CD - no DVD required.

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 2:54:40 PM1/24/23
Oh, quite old indeed. I bet On The Beach will be available for
streaming for free for the rest of our lives, so why bother recording
it?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Jan 24, 2023, 3:05:42 PM1/24/23
A PVR is for those people that have neither a DVD/Blu-ray drive/player nor a broad-band connection. For those sad people, a PVR is totally awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Whm36uOqE

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 3:11:57 PM1/24/23
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:05:39 -0800 (PST), dsi1
You'd have to live in a really remote place. Even we are trying to
switch from adsl2 to broadband. And we see more kangaroos than people.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Jan 24, 2023, 3:17:26 PM1/24/23
Do you have a DVD/Blu-ray drive/player? Exciting news - you might be a candidate for the PVR format!

GM

Jan 24, 2023, 3:22:01 PM1/24/23
dsi1 wrote:

> As I recall, it's a highly compressed video format that allows one to burn a movie onto a CD - no DVD required.

https://evanstonnow.com/cashless-ban-rejected-for-now/

A plan from Ald. Devon Reid (8th) to bar Evanston businesses from refusing to accept cash failed to
win final adoption at Monday night’s City Council meeting.

That left Reid fuming, claiming that to allow cashless businesses just “keeps the boot on the necks
of people who have been disenfranchised.”

COMMENT:

"Glad they are listening to the 100% of businesses who might fear being robbed over the 5% of people
who are unbanked, especially since, as Mr. Morrow notes, many of them could become banked if they so chose..."

🤑

--
GM

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 3:27:40 PM1/24/23
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:17:22 -0800 (PST), dsi1
<dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 10:11:57 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:05:39 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>>
>> >A PVR is for those people that have neither a DVD/Blu-ray drive/player nor a broad-band connection. For those sad people, a PVR is totally awesome!
>> >
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Whm36uOqE
>> You'd have to live in a really remote place. Even we are trying to
>> switch from adsl2 to broadband. And we see more kangaroos than people.
>>
>Do you have a DVD/Blu-ray drive/player? Exciting news - you might be a candidate for the PVR format!

I applied for fixed wireless broadband yesterday. They were going to
give me a call on our mobile to set a date. I could see that they
called but I couldn't hear them because we don't have good mobile
range. So we're in limbo.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 24, 2023, 4:14:38 PM1/24/23
> Bruce

I haven't looked it up but possibly Monday would have been Gregory Peck's
birthday. Before "On The Beach" "The Stalking Moon" was aired, and it was
from 1968.

Dave Smith

Jan 24, 2023, 4:52:13 PM1/24/23
On 2023-01-24 3:05 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 9:54:40 AM UTC-10, The Village Idiot
Beats the heck out of my why you would even suggest that. It is a
function of the satellite receiver that allows you to record one program
while watching another or to record two different programs at the same
time. FWIW, I do have a BluRay player, but I have to buy the DVDs or
BluRay discs or borrow them from the library.

There are a lot of good movies available on satellite and if they are on
at a time when there is another show I want to watch or if they are on
at inconvenient times like middle of the night or while I am away I can
easily program the receiver to record them for me. It's simple. I simply
go through the menu to see when the programs are on, highlight a show
and hit Enter and the PVR screen pops up with the options but defaults
to record. I can record two programs simultaneously.

Recorded programs are easily retrieved. Just click on the PVR button and
a list of the recorded programs appears. Scroll through and click on the
one you want to watch. It will hold up to a 150 hours of programming.
That's 50-60 movies.

Between the PVR and streaming services there is always something to watch.

GM

Jan 24, 2023, 5:00:15 PM1/24/23
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> I haven't looked it up but possibly Monday would have been Gregory Peck's
> birthday. Before "On The Beach" "The Stalking Moon" was aired, and it was
> from 1968.

Will be watching ROMAN HOLIDAY tonight...!!!

--
GM

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 24, 2023, 5:05:16 PM1/24/23
On 2023-01-24, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Beats the heck out of my why you would even suggest that. It is a
> function of the satellite receiver that allows you to record one program
> while watching another or to record two different programs at the same
> time. FWIW, I do have a BluRay player, but I have to buy the DVDs or
> BluRay discs or borrow them from the library.
>
> There are a lot of good movies available on satellite and if they are on
> at a time when there is another show I want to watch or if they are on
> at inconvenient times like middle of the night or while I am away I can
> easily program the receiver to record them for me. It's simple. I simply
> go through the menu to see when the programs are on, highlight a show
> and hit Enter and the PVR screen pops up with the options but defaults
> to record. I can record two programs simultaneously.
>
> Recorded programs are easily retrieved. Just click on the PVR button and
> a list of the recorded programs appears. Scroll through and click on the
> one you want to watch. It will hold up to a 150 hours of programming.
> That's 50-60 movies.
>
> Between the PVR and streaming services there is always something to watch.

"DVR" is a more commonly used term, and I'm sure your unit is a digital
video recorder.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 5:14:27 PM1/24/23
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:14:33 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 1:49:35 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:45:15 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>> >"On The Beach" was an Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck movie. I'm not sure
>> >what PVR is, maybe he meant to type DVR?
>> >
>> Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck, ok. That's going back in time to the
>> dinosaurs. Digital Video Recording? Personal Video Recording?
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>I haven't looked it up but possibly Monday would have been Gregory Peck's
>birthday. Before "On The Beach" "The Stalking Moon" was aired, and it was
>from 1968.

Born April 5, 1916
Died June 12, 2003 (87)

I didn't realise he died so recently. I'd have thought somewhere in
the late 60s.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 5:22:39 PM1/24/23
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:52:07 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Beats the heck out of my why you would even suggest that. It is a
>function of the satellite receiver that allows you to record one program
>while watching another or to record two different programs at the same
>time. FWIW, I do have a BluRay player, but I have to buy the DVDs or
>BluRay discs or borrow them from the library.
>
>There are a lot of good movies available on satellite and if they are on
>at a time when there is another show I want to watch or if they are on
>at inconvenient times like middle of the night or while I am away I can
>easily program the receiver to record them for me. It's simple. I simply
>go through the menu to see when the programs are on, highlight a show
>and hit Enter and the PVR screen pops up with the options but defaults
>to record. I can record two programs simultaneously.
>
>Recorded programs are easily retrieved. Just click on the PVR button and
>a list of the recorded programs appears. Scroll through and click on the
>one you want to watch. It will hold up to a 150 hours of programming.
>That's 50-60 movies.
>
>Between the PVR and streaming services there is always something to watch.

You still depend on when the powers that be decide to broadcast
something. Tubi, Roku, Plex, Mometu -the list goes on- offer free
movie streaming when it suits you, sometimes with ads. No, I don't
want to become a nurse in Texas, but thanks for suggesting it.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce