Apple scone cake thing from looooooooooong ago?

0 views
Skip to first unread message

The Blue Rose

unread,
Dec 26, 2000, 3:10:39 AM12/26/00
to
This is a recipe my mother made a very few rare times. She said she
hardly ever made it cos it was lots of effort and we were rarely good
enuf to justify it LOL.

OK its been prolly 20 years since I last had it, and I never knew the
recipe but I think it was a scone mix that may have included apples.
The mix was rolled into balls which were coated in cinnamon sugar then
all the balls were placed in a cake tin and cooked. As they spread
they all melded into one big cake and you could pull of the individual
balls once cooked.

I remember this being utterly divine. Since I am not talking to my
mother in the forseeable future, can any kind person enlighten me as
to what this thing really is. A recipe would be fantabulous of
course!

TIA

Stacey


-- Stacey Hill
"On the other hand, you have a whole new set of fingers"
www.geocities.com/theonlybluerose

Goomba

unread,
Dec 26, 2000, 8:01:24 AM12/26/00
to
The Blue Rose wrote:

> This is a recipe my mother made a very few rare times. She said she
> hardly ever made it cos it was lots of effort and we were rarely good
> enuf to justify it LOL.
>
> OK its been prolly 20 years since I last had it, and I never knew the
> recipe but I think it was a scone mix that may have included apples.
> The mix was rolled into balls which were coated in cinnamon sugar then
> all the balls were placed in a cake tin and cooked. As they spread
> they all melded into one big cake and you could pull of the individual
> balls once cooked.
>
> I remember this being utterly divine. Since I am not talking to my
> mother in the forseeable future, can any kind person enlighten me as
> to what this thing really is. A recipe would be fantabulous of
> course!
>

This sounds like "monkey bread" recipe. Do a recipe search for that term
and see what pops up. I've never heard of it having apple in it, but that
sounds lovely! If you come up with your mum's recipe, would you mind
sharing it here?
Goomba
(your munged addy is sort of a PITA.. hard to tell what stays and what
goes to reply to you directly)

Finocchio568

unread,
Dec 26, 2000, 10:26:13 AM12/26/00
to
What you're describing is definitely called the "Monkey Bread". My aunt makes
something like that but calls it "Gorilla Bread" - which is much richer.
Here's her recipe.

GORILLA BREAD

Turn the oven on to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking
spray. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 3 teaspoons cinnamon. In a saucepan, melt 1
stick butter and 1 cup packed brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set
aside. Cut one 8-ounce package cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Get two
12-ounce cans refrigerated biscuits (10 count each). Pressh the biscuits out
with your fingers and sprinkle each about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar.
Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and
sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup coarsely chopped
walnuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Place half of the prepared biscuits
in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour half of the melted butter
mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of walnuts. Layer the
remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the
remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of
walnuts. You will need 1.1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts for this recipe.
BAke for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place a
plate on top and invert.

The Blue Rose

unread,
Dec 27, 2000, 12:19:36 AM12/27/00
to
On 26 Dec 2000 15:26:13 GMT, finocc...@aol.com (Finocchio568)
inscribed upon cyber virtuality:

>What you're describing is definitely called the "Monkey Bread". My aunt makes
>something like that but calls it "Gorilla Bread" - which is much richer.
>Here's her recipe.
>
>GORILLA BREAD

Snip recipe

Sorry but it sounds nothing like it. Never remember there bein cream
cheese in the house and we all universally hate walnuts, and I dont
think there were crushed biscuits.

Thanks for posting tho.

The Blue Rose

unread,
Dec 29, 2000, 1:13:50 AM12/29/00
to
On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:47:22 GMT, ndo...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu (Nancy
Dooley) inscribed upon cyber virtuality:

>x-no-archive: yes


>
>On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 05:19:36 GMT, sta...@xtra.spam1.co.spam2.nz (The
>Blue Rose) wrote:
>
>>On 26 Dec 2000 15:26:13 GMT, finocc...@aol.com (Finocchio568)
>>inscribed upon cyber virtuality:
>>
>>>What you're describing is definitely called the "Monkey Bread". My aunt makes
>>>something like that but calls it "Gorilla Bread" - which is much richer.
>>>Here's her recipe.
>>>
>>>GORILLA BREAD
>>
>>Snip recipe
>>
>>Sorry but it sounds nothing like it. Never remember there bein cream
>>cheese in the house and we all universally hate walnuts, and I dont
>>think there were crushed biscuits.
>>
>>Thanks for posting tho.
>>
>

>Sheesh, some people are so ungrateful.
>
No I was not being ungrateful, they were kind enuf to post
suggestions, and I was merely responding that I didnt think it was the
recipe. People often like a response if they offer info and that was
what I was doing.

I am a capable enuf cook I could have had a go at making something
from memory anyway, however I am constantly surprised at the knowledge
contained within the members of the group. Hence I posted my question.

And I was given a great deal of useful information in the name of the
recipe, which I was then able to do a search on recipe websites. They
came up with similar sounding recipes, some of which sounded quite
yummy. I was very pleased to have that much info.

Both posters have my thanks. As I stated in my reply.

On a different note, who appointed you Etiquette Queen?

MurphAssoc

unread,
Dec 29, 2000, 6:10:49 AM12/29/00
to
Stacey, please post what you found, it sounded interesting and I'd like to try.
Thanks,
Judith

The Blue Rose

unread,
Dec 30, 2000, 12:12:40 AM12/30/00
to
On 29 Dec 2000 11:10:49 GMT, murph...@aol.com (MurphAssoc) inscribed
upon cyber virtuality:

>Stacey, please post what you found, it sounded interesting and I'd like to try.
> Thanks,
>Judith

Well I just did a search in www.allrecipes.com for 'monkey bread' and
found several different variations of it.

Basically it is a sweet bread mix made into small chunks, coated in a
sweet spice mix and then layered in several layers. Similar to what I
was after and gives me something substantial to experiment with.

Enjoy

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages