Catfish ideas?

cshenk

May 11, 2021, 6:39:18 PM5/11/21
Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and liked.

We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.

Bryan Simmons

May 11, 2021, 6:50:55 PM5/11/21
Feed to cat.

--Bryan

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 11, 2021, 7:09:17 PM5/11/21
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 5:39:18 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

I've only had it breaded in cornmeal and fried. Farm-raised only.

jmcquown

May 11, 2021, 7:11:34 PM5/11/21
I've got a couple of ideas but it depends on how much time you care to
spend. One of my Signature Dishes (it's on the RFC web site) is for
Stuffed Flounder. It's a recipe I re-created from when I worked at Red
Lobster when I was 20. I've made it using catfish and even tilapia
(back when I could find decent tilapia). Mild white flaky fish.

Jill's Stuffed Flounder (for two)

4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
1/4 c. minced onion
1/4 c. minced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
dash Tabasco sauce
dash cayenne pepper
dash salt
4 Tbs. butter
1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 Tbs. lemon juice
6 oz. flaked crabmeat
2 oz. diced shrimp
2-3 Tbs. melted butter
Sweet ground paprika for colour
1/2 c. milk
vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350F. Saute onion, celery and garlic in 4 Tbs. butter
until translucent. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with
breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, dry mustard. Add crabmeat and shrimp, Tabasco,
cayenne, lemonjuice, salt, pepper. Blend well to make stuffing. Spray a
13X9 inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.

Place 2 flounder fillets in the dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto
the center of the fillets, mounding it up in the center. Split the
remaining fillets in half lengthwise.

Wrap each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of the stuffed
fillet, covering the sides but leaving the stuffing visible in the
center. Secure overlapping ends with toothpicks if needed. Brush all
over with melted butter. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour the milk around the
fish (this keeps the fish moist during baking). Bake for 20-25 minutes
until fish flakes easily with a fork, brushing with melted butter about
halfway through cooking. Serves 2 very generously.

NOTE: Works well with any mild white fish fillets
****************

The second recipe I also re-created after eating it at The Bayou Bar and
Grill in Memphis. (I just love doing that! Dissect a recipe eaten in a
restaurant based on the taste and re-create it at home.)

I posted the recipe last Fall when I couldn't sleep and got bored with
the trolls. I was trying to get food and cooking talk back on track. :)

You'd have to be able to find crawfish tail meat for this one. I was
able to find it in Memphis back then and am a bit surprised but I can
find it here in South Carolina. :)

Catfish Acadian:

2 lb. catfish fillets (you could use any mild white fish)
seasoned flour for coating
olive oil
butter
diced onions, garlic and/or shallots*
diced bell pepper
diced celery
1/2 lb. crawfish tail meat, thawed
3 large raw shrimp, shelled and chopped
1/2 pint or a tad more, whole cream
salt & cayenne pepper to taste

Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive
oil with a bit of butter until golden brown and tender. Plate and hold
in a warm oven.

There are no measurements, per se, for most of this. Eyeball it. This
serves 2 people.

In another pan, saute the onion, garlic/shallots with the bell pepper
and celery in butter and oil until tender and translucent. Add the
crawfish tail meat (it's already cooked, just needs a quick heat) and
the shrimp and cook until just pink. Stir in the cream. Season with
salt and cayenne pepper. Spoon the crawfish/shrimp sauce over the pan
fried catfish.

*I use garlic; the chef told me they use a combination of both. Yes, I
actually called and talked with the chef. He was not at all hesitant to
discuss it since I started off with "Here's what I did but it's missing
something." Turns out I'd forgotten the celery. Ooops! There's that
"trinity" thing again. ;) I knew better, simply forgot it. Then he
mentioned shallots but the quantity is hardly worth making the
distinction. He was actually quite pleased that I liked the dish well
enough to re-create it at home. It really is delicious!

HTH,

Jill

Sheldon Martin

May 11, 2021, 7:22:49 PM5/11/21
On Tue, 11 May 2021 itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and liked.
>>
>> We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
>> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.
>>
>I've only had it breaded in cornmeal and fried. Farm-raised only.

Anyone who has had an aquarium knows that catfish are the tank's shit
eaters... fact!

Roy MacDonalds

May 11, 2021, 7:24:12 PM5/11/21
The McDonald's customers of the fish world.

--
The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Joie McDonalds

May 11, 2021, 7:27:10 PM5/11/21

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Joie McDonalds

May 11, 2021, 7:27:14 PM5/11/21

Joie McDonalds

May 11, 2021, 7:27:25 PM5/11/21
Roy MacDonalds wrote:

> Sheldon Martin wrote:

> > liked. >>
> > like >> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.
> > > >
> > > I've only had it breaded in cornmeal and fried. Farm-raised only.
> >
> > Anyone who has had an aquarium knows that catfish are the tank's
> > shit eaters... fact!
>
> The McDonald's customers of the fish world.

cshenk

May 11, 2021, 7:51:00 PM5/11/21
Bless you! The second one is what I want to try first. Sounds
delicious and outside my normal!

Dave Smith

May 11, 2021, 8:00:29 PM5/11/21
Perhaps that is the reason that catfish has such a soft texture. I have
had it a few times and don't much care for it.

Bryan Simmons

May 11, 2021, 8:00:41 PM5/11/21
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:27:25 PM UTC-5, Joie McDonalds wrote:
> Roy MacDonalds wrote:
>
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:

> > > liked. >>
> > > like >> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.

> > > Anyone who has had an aquarium knows that catfish are the tank's
> > > shit eaters... fact!
> >
> > The McDonald's customers of the fish world.

Bruce (if that's his real name) and John should get a room where they
can share a vegetarian meal and talk about how those who frequent
McCraps are lowlifes.

> Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."
>
> --
> The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

--Bryan

Roy MacDonalds

May 11, 2021, 8:04:24 PM5/11/21
Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:27:25 PM UTC-5, Joie McDonalds wrote:
> > Roy MacDonalds wrote:

> > > The McDonald's customers of the fish world.
> >
> Bruce (if that's his real name) and John should get a room where they
> can share a vegetarian meal and talk about how those who frequent
> McCraps are lowlifes.

Well, you can hardly deny that McDonald's customers are bottom feeders.
Only bin eaters are below them.

Bryan Simmons

May 11, 2021, 8:12:39 PM5/11/21
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:51:00 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > On 5/11/2021 6:39 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > > Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and
> > > liked.
> > >
> > > We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
> > > ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.
> > >
> > I've got a couple of ideas but it depends on how much time you care
> > to spend.

[snip]

> > Jill
>
> Bless you!

Oh God, so that's why you're John's little rimjob bitch. It's your version of
washing Jesus' feet. You found your "least of these," and you're stickin' to
him. There are certainly more deserving "fowls of the air," but you picked
Bachelor Kuthe. St. Peter might let you in, but odds are he'll be rolling his
eyes.

--Bryan

GM

May 11, 2021, 8:18:23 PM5/11/21
Lol...

--
Best
Greg

jmcquown

May 11, 2021, 8:35:00 PM5/11/21
On 5/11/2021 7:50 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 5/11/2021 6:39 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and
>>> liked.
>>>
>>> We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
>>> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.
>>>
>> I've got a couple of ideas but it depends on how much time you care
>> to spend.
(snipped first recipe for "stuffed flounder")

>> The second recipe I also re-created after eating it at The Bayou Bar
>> and Grill in Memphis. (I just love doing that! Dissect a recipe
>> eaten in a restaurant based on the taste and re-create it at home.)

That recipe is the quickest and the easiest and so very delicious. I
take it you can find crawfish tail meat? The quick very tasty sauce for
this dish is absolutely incomplete without it. And, of course, the
celery. LOL I'll never forget it again. :)

If you try it please do report back.

Jill

jmcquown

May 11, 2021, 8:41:54 PM5/11/21
All fish eat stuff like that. You don't really think that tinned
kippered herring or whitefish or whatever comes from extremely clean
water, do you? Fish aren't particularly choosy about what they eat and
they do all poop in the same water they dine in.

Jill

Hank Rogers

May 11, 2021, 8:44:01 PM5/11/21
Roy MacDonalds wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>> liked. >>
>> like >> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.
>>>>
>>> I've only had it breaded in cornmeal and fried. Farm-raised only.
>>
>> Anyone who has had an aquarium knows that catfish are the tank's shit
>> eaters... fact!
>
> The McDonald's customers of the fish world.

They even sniff the other fish's asses!

Hank Rogers

May 11, 2021, 8:55:51 PM5/11/21
Where do you vegetarian ass sniffers fit in?

Hank Rogers

May 11, 2021, 8:59:00 PM5/11/21
So does Popeye.

Sqwertz

May 12, 2021, 2:37:39 AM5/12/21
Make them into Thai fish cakes. Dry thoroughly first, especially if
they're store-bought chunks.

-sw

Sqwertz

May 12, 2021, 2:40:01 AM5/12/21
On Tue, 11 May 2021 19:22:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Anyone who has had an aquarium knows that catfish are the tank's shit
> eaters... fact!

Yeah, I always have catfish in my 3,000 gallon fish tank next to the
fireplace that I shit in regularly.

-sw

Sqwertz

May 12, 2021, 2:50:13 AM5/12/21
Why in the fuck do you keep quoting that shit? It's bad enough you
respond to her, but then you do that double staggered quoting of
siogs that's totally unnecessary and reads like hell:
"ask them they're here...." (WTF that means) - then his sig which
you don't snip, and then your non-standard sig whdcih doesn;'t snip
in anybody's reader, .... FUUUUCKk that shit. Jesus fuck.

Weren't you going to get a real newsreader, you said?

-sw

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 2:50:34 AM5/12/21

The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Sqwertz

May 12, 2021, 2:55:25 AM5/12/21
On Tue, 11 May 2021 20:41:45 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> All fish eat stuff like that. You don't really think that tinned
> kippered herring or whitefish or whatever comes from extremely clean
> water, do you? Fish aren't particularly choosy about what they eat and
> they do all poop in the same water they dine in.

Herring come from pretty clean waters (compared to most fish), and
they are healthy for humans, sustainable, and they aren't bottom
feeders (they don't eat shit). And I just ate a whole one 30 seconds
ago (a rollmop).

-sw

Sqwertz

May 12, 2021, 3:03:43 AM5/12/21
How did this food conversation between Jill and Carol devolve into
... that out of place bullshit? Did you fall off the wagon again
and bump your widdle head?

Save the bullshit for bullshit threads. And even then, this is still
a head-scratcher. Oh look, here comes Gregory for some anal sex.
You scored, Bryan!

-sw

Cindy Hamilton

May 12, 2021, 4:52:56 AM5/12/21
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:39:18 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and liked.
>
> We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.

I don't eat catfish, but you might google for "Chinese catfish recipe"
or "Asian catfish recipe". I found a number of good-looking recipes.

Cindy Hamilton

bruce bowser

May 12, 2021, 5:48:35 AM5/12/21
I always thought that catfish was like okra. It tastes too slimy.

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 6:06:47 AM5/12/21
Okra's one of my favourite vegetables.

--
The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Cindy Hamilton

May 12, 2021, 7:21:08 AM5/12/21
Slimy is a texture, not a taste.

All freshwater fish, but catfish in particular, taste muddy to me.

Cindy Hamilton

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 7:32:57 AM5/12/21
When I still caught catfish from our creek, it was the cleanest tasting
fish evva.

Gary

May 12, 2021, 8:25:04 AM5/12/21
Bryan Simmons wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
>> Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and liked.
>> We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
>> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.

> Feed to cat.

Exactly. That's why they're called cat fish. ;)

Dave Smith

May 12, 2021, 10:54:16 AM5/12/21
It's especially bad in farmed fish. They keep them confined in pens and
they are pretty densely packed. Large amounts of food are shovelled in
and there is a bit of a feeding frenzy, and fish crap when they eat, so
that crap is floating around in the water with the food they are
snapping at.

bruce bowser

May 12, 2021, 12:47:40 PM5/12/21
Shrimp and pig farms are probably the same way.

Bryan Simmons

May 12, 2021, 3:07:58 PM5/12/21
But I doubt that my cat would eat it.

--Bryan

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:17:42 PM5/12/21

The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:19:04 PM5/12/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:19:51 PM5/12/21
The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:20:14 PM5/12/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:20:43 PM5/12/21
Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:27:25 PM UTC-5, Joie McDonalds wrote:
> > Roy MacDonalds wrote:

> > > The McDonald's customers of the fish world.
> >
> Bruce (if that's his real name) and John should get a room where they
> can share a vegetarian meal and talk about how those who frequent
> McCraps are lowlifes.
> >
> > Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."
> >
> > --
> > The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net
> >
> --Bryan

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:21:52 PM5/12/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:21:58 PM5/12/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:22:12 PM5/12/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:22:22 PM5/12/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:22:41 PM5/12/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:22:54 PM5/12/21

The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:23:06 PM5/12/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:23:18 PM5/12/21

The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

silver...@charter.net

May 12, 2021, 3:27:03 PM5/12/21
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:39:18 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and liked.
>
> We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.

This is my go-to web site for catfish recipes. I haven't tried them all, but the ones I have have been really good.

https://www.uscatfish.com/recipes

--
Silvar Beitel

Dave Smith

May 12, 2021, 4:05:27 PM5/12/21
Pig farms are disgusting. I used to drive by one on my way to work in
the days before AC and power windows wera almost universal, and it was a
full size pick up, so a long way to reach across to roll up the window.
I occasionally forgot to roll up the windows before I got to the pig
farm, and once that stench got in I needed about 10 miles of driving
with windows open to get it cleared out.

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 4:15:28 PM5/12/21
Especially Asian shrimp.

--
The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 4:17:00 PM5/12/21
But you still eat pork.

Hank Rogers

May 12, 2021, 5:01:56 PM5/12/21
I bet master doctor druce is already on his way!

dsi1

May 12, 2021, 5:26:25 PM5/12/21
I had a client that had a shrimp farm. This guy is a brilliant person. He's had many different farms. I think these days he raises pigs and also sets up luaus. He'll sell you the pig and cook it too - brilliant. He used to raise shrimp and fish and other things - including frogs and taro. Most aqua-farms are at sea level. This guy had his farm in the mountains - brilliant. The clean mountain waters just flowed through his ponds. He researched the foods for his fishes and imported them from the mainland - brilliant. The food and water made his shrimp exceptionally large and in demand. One day, after a flash flood, the mountainside came down on his farm. He was lucky that him and his wife wasn't there at the time. They, along with their truck, would have just been buried and would have simply disappeared until someone in the future happened to find them. He said he didn't think anyone would bother to dig through tons of dirt to check if they were in there.

jmcquown

May 12, 2021, 5:36:46 PM5/12/21
On 5/12/2021 3:03 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 17:12:36 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Bless you!
>>>
>> Oh God, so that's why you're John's little rimjob bitch. It's your version of
>> washing Jesus' feet. You found your "least of these," and you're stickin' to
>> him. There are certainly more deserving "fowls of the air," but you picked
>> Bachelor Kuthe. St. Peter might let you in, but odds are he'll be rolling his
>> eyes.
>>>
>> --Bryan
>
> How did this food conversation between Jill and Carol devolve into
> ... that out of place bullshit? Did you fall off the wagon again
> and bump your widdle head?
>
> Save the bullshit for bullshit threads. And even then, this is still
> a head-scratcher. Oh look, here comes Gregory for some anal sex.
> You scored, Bryan!
>
> -sw

LOL This kind of immature, totally irrelevant crap is exactly why he
went back into the bozo bin.

Jill

Bryan Simmons

May 12, 2021, 6:57:58 PM5/12/21
Steve, how can you not have noticed that Carol gives love to Kuthe
every chance she gets? You were correct in connecting Greg to this
post, as I thought he'd find it amusing. You should too. What other
than religious stricture could possibly justify devotion to the pervert
pediatric nurse?

And *food conversation*? WTF else are you going to do with catfish
but fry it? Hushpuppies, a plop of slaw and a big ol' glass of sweet
tea, and you gotcherself a meal fit fer Daisy Mae and Bubba's firs
date.

> > -sw
> >
> LOL This kind of immature, totally irrelevant crap is exactly why he
> went back into the bozo bin.

Rec.cooking.moderated, with Jill as the moderator, because she's *so*
moderate.

> Jill

--Bryan

GM

May 12, 2021, 7:08:27 PM5/12/21
Lol...Jill is such a "lonely girl" type...she interacts personally with fewer peeps even than does *Kuthe*...

--
Best
Greg

cshenk

May 12, 2021, 11:21:37 PM5/12/21
jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/11/2021 7:50 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > I've got a couple of ideas but it depends on how much time you
> > > care to spend.
> (snipped first recipe for "stuffed flounder")
> > >
> > > The second recipe I also re-created after eating it at The Bayou
> > > Bar and Grill in Memphis. (I just love doing that! Dissect a
> > > recipe eaten in a restaurant based on the taste and re-create it
> > > at home.)
> > >
> > > Catfish Acadian:
> > >
> > > 2 lb. catfish fillets (you could use any mild white fish)
> > > seasoned flour for coating
> > > olive oil
> > > butter
> > > diced onions, garlic and/or shallots*
> > > diced bell pepper
> > > diced celery
> > > 1/2 lb. crawfish tail meat, thawed
> > > 3 large raw shrimp, shelled and chopped
> > > 1/2 pint or a tad more, whole cream
> > > salt & cayenne pepper to taste
> > >
> > > Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in
> > > olive oil with a bit of butter until golden brown and tender.
> > > Plate and hold in a warm oven.
> > >
> > > There are no measurements, per se, for most of this. Eyeball it.
> > > This serves 2 people.
> > >
> > > In another pan, saute the onion, garlic/shallots with the bell
> > > pepper and celery in butter and oil until tender and translucent.
> > > Add the crawfish tail meat (it's already cooked, just needs a
> > > quick heat) and the shrimp and cook until just pink. Stir in the
> > > cream. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Spoon the
> > > crawfish/shrimp sauce over the pan fried catfish.
> > >
> > > *I use garlic; the chef told me they use a combination of both.
> > > Yes, I actually called and talked with the chef. He was not at
> > > all hesitant to discuss it since I started off with "Here's what
> > > I did but it's missing something." Turns out I'd forgotten the
> > > celery. Ooops! There's that "trinity" thing again. ;) I knew
> > > better, simply forgot it. Then he mentioned shallots but the
> > > quantity is hardly worth making the distinction. He was actually
> > > quite pleased that I liked the dish well enough to re-create it
> > > at home. It really is delicious!
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > Bless you! The second one is what I want to try first. Sounds
> > delicious and outside my normal!
> >
> That recipe is the quickest and the easiest and so very delicious. I
> take it you can find crawfish tail meat? The quick very tasty sauce
> for this dish is absolutely incomplete without it. And, of course,
> the celery. LOL I'll never forget it again. :)
>
> If you try it please do report back.
>
> Jill

Hehe in a hurry and watching gas crazies here, we went a totally
different direction but I saved your recipe. It was insane here. 80% of
the gas stations out totally. Anyways, for 2 charmers. Sorry, no pics
just now but I have 1 saved where we are midway with some cooked, some
in fryer, and some waiting for their turn.

I'll describe what we did. I resourced (searched alternatives on
google) for some things that I didn't have. Like a normal to Don
breading mix he uses and went back to basics of staples we have here
(he had fun and now likes it better). I resourced (searched) for a
tartar sauce with no pickles as didn't have any.

Here the results.

A flat plate with a lip, 3 in line, happen to be 11 inches across.
Gently graduated.

For the fried fish
Fish: 1.30lbs Catfish fillets (boneless)
- Don cut to nuggets as that fits our deep fryer better
Flour plate- about 1/3 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 2tsp black pepper
Egg plate- 2 eggs mixed up in a cup and poured in
Potato plate- probably 1/3 cup instant potato flakes

Flour fish well then drop and roll in egg wash then coat in potato
flakes. It took 4 batches for 1.30lbs to fit ours just right without
crowding.

Result. Very tender, very good. I rate this a 4 only because I know it
can be tender but if you use a real scale for your home cooking, 4 is a
very good marker.

My apologies. I was not willing to expend gas just now to get to the
store, even if it is close.

So next is: No Tartar sauce and no pickles or 'relish'.

Tartar sauce with no Pickles
This one suprised me with it's simplicity. I wasn't sure it would work
but in a pinch it really did!

1/2 C Mayo
1 TBSP MS Dash (origional recipe)

Worked! I think I used more mayo and more MS Dash but I was not far
off. I mixed it at about 11am and we taste tested and it seemed a good
alternative. Let is meld in the fridge for 6 or so hours before dinner
and it was actually very good!

All in all a success even if if wasn't as planned but when I asked, I
didn't know we would have a massive sudden gas availability issue here
and I had to resort to what I had here at home. I am sure Jill, you
understand that!

For sides, we had a bunch of fresh cucumber slices with a spicy french
dressing and fresh fruit (Mango and strawberries) that we had on hand.

Is it real Tartar sauce? No. It just works well enough in a pinch and
oddly, it's a good thing on it's own.

cshenk

May 12, 2021, 11:25:24 PM5/12/21
Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2021 17:39:09 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and
> > liked.
> >
> > We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
> > ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.
>
> Make them into Thai fish cakes. Dry thoroughly first, especially if
> they're store-bought chunks.
>
> -sw

Oh, describe that if you can? There's always more Catfish!
Interested! Frankly prety close to 50% of our meat consumption is
seafood based.

cshenk

May 12, 2021, 11:39:47 PM5/12/21
THank you Silvar. Which ones have you tried and liked? The Cajun one
caught my attention but the pic shows items not in the recipe though
you can sort of guess what they might be.

cshenk

May 13, 2021, 12:16:08 AM5/13/21
cshenk wrote:

> Result. Very tender, very good. I rate this a 4 only because I know
> it can be tender but if you use a real scale for your home cooking, 4
> is a very good marker.

Clarification. It's hard to make Catfish not tender. What I meant is
more spice might make this hit my 5 scale for home. It has to be one
that can deepfry and hold but I didn't try it.

bruce bowser

May 13, 2021, 3:53:07 AM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:16:08 AM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
>
> > Result. Very tender, very good. I rate this a 4 only because I know
> > it can be tender but if you use a real scale for your home cooking, 4
> > is a very good marker.
> Clarification. It's hard to make Catfish not tender.

I wonder if the sun-dry treatment out in the desert southwest for fried catfish would work.

Sqwertz

May 13, 2021, 4:28:13 AM5/13/21
On Wed, 12 May 2021 10:54:14 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-05-11 8:41 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> Anyone who has had an aquarium knows that catfish are the tank's shit
>>> eaters... fact!
>>>
>> All fish eat stuff like that.  You don't really think that tinned
>> kippered herring or whitefish or whatever comes from extremely clean
>> water, do you?  Fish aren't particularly choosy about what they eat and
>> they do all poop in the same water they dine in.
>>

> It's especially bad in farmed fish. They keep them confined in pens and
> they are pretty densely packed. Large amounts of food are shovelled in
> and there is a bit of a feeding frenzy, and fish crap when they eat, so
> that crap is floating around in the water with the food they are
> snapping at.

They alternate swai and tilapia in the ponds. They feed the tilapia
fish food and then harvest them. Then stock the muddy pond with
swai (a type of Asian catfish - a bottom feeder) and they eat up all
the tilapia poop and then they're harvested. The some water
conditioners and back to tilapia again.

-sw

Sqwertz

May 13, 2021, 4:38:46 AM5/13/21
Pulverise it a littel starch, red curry paste, lime leaf, garlic,
ginger, fish sauce, I think pea pods are common, pepper... I'm sure
there's recipes. Then you pat em into disks or extrude them into
shapes and fry.

dsi1

May 13, 2021, 6:52:32 AM5/13/21
My brother took us catfish fishing in the Nuuanu Reservoir. We caught some big ones and we took it home and fried it up. It's kind of a tough fish to cut up but it the fillets were large and beautiful looking. It was a firm and tender fish i.e., the perfect texture for fish. The main problem is that it tasted awful. That was a big damn shame.

http://www.mikescatchreport.com/2008/070508nc/070508catfish.html

Gary

May 13, 2021, 8:33:12 AM5/13/21
LOL You baby.

silver...@charter.net

May 13, 2021, 11:09:54 AM5/13/21
Smoked Catfish Dip
Macadamia Nut Crusted Catfish
Lemon Pepper Parchment Catfish (easy)
Sesame Crusted Catfish
Eggs Benedict with Shrimp and Catfish Cakes (big brunch hit)

I have the Curried Catfish Cheese Ball and Cajun Catfish Pastries on my "to do" list.

Not on that site, but Blackened Catfish is a treat I've made a couple of times.

Of course, all of these would be good with any mild white fish, like tilapia or haddock, but I like the slightly muddy flavor of catfish.

--
Silvar Beitel

Sheldon Martin

May 13, 2021, 11:14:35 AM5/13/21
How did you expect fish that eat shit 24-7 to taste? The catfish
would hang out around the ship's head and wait for someone to flush...
guess where the Ukeleles and Pineapples caught dinner.

dsi1

May 13, 2021, 12:28:21 PM5/13/21
Mostly, the problem is that it doesn't live in salt water. Fresh and brackish water fish have a scummy taste. Somebody should invent sea catfish.

Hank Rogers

May 13, 2021, 12:53:17 PM5/13/21
Yoose sure miss the navy Popeye. How come yoose left it?

Sheldon Martin

May 13, 2021, 1:22:01 PM5/13/21
On Thu, 13 May 2021 09:28:16 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
Pointy Headed Ukelele Imbecile.
https://www.skilledangler.com/are-saltwater-catfish-good-to-eat/

bruce bowser

May 13, 2021, 2:13:58 PM5/13/21
Well OK, but okra still tastes slimy and scummy.

Dave Smith

May 13, 2021, 3:02:14 PM5/13/21

On 2021-05-13 12:28 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 5:14:35 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>> On How did you expect fish that eat shit 24-7 to taste? The
>> catfish would hang out around the ship's head and wait for someone
>> to flush... guess where the Ukeleles and Pineapples caught dinner.
>
> Mostly, the problem is that it doesn't live in salt water. Fresh and
> brackish water fish have a scummy taste. Somebody should invent sea
> catfish.

I think it depends a lot on the water temperature. Trout that comes from
warm water tends to taste a little muddy. Trout from cold water does not.

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:11:02 PM5/13/21
Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2021 itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 cshenk wrote:
> > >
> >> Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and
> liked. >>
> >> We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but
> like >> ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.
> > >
> > I've only had it breaded in cornmeal and fried. Farm-raised only.
>
> Anyone who has had an aquarium knows that catfish are the tank's shit
> eaters... fact!

The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:11:34 PM5/13/21
Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2021 17:12:36 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> like >>> > ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.

> care >>> to spend.
> > >
> > [snip]

> >> Bless you!
> > >
> > Oh God, so that's why you're John's little rimjob bitch. It's your
> > version of washing Jesus' feet. You found your "least of these,"
> > and you're stickin' to him. There are certainly more deserving
> > "fowls of the air," but you picked Bachelor Kuthe. St. Peter might
> > let you in, but odds are he'll be rolling his eyes.
> > >
> > --Bryan
>
> How did this food conversation between Jill and Carol devolve into
> ... that out of place bullshit? Did you fall off the wagon again
> and bump your widdle head?
>
> Save the bullshit for bullshit threads. And even then, this is still
> a head-scratcher. Oh look, here comes Gregory for some anal sex.
> You scored, Bryan!
>
> -sw

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:12:09 PM5/13/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:12:17 PM5/13/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:12:27 PM5/13/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:12:39 PM5/13/21

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:12:50 PM5/13/21
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:39:18 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > Hi, looking for Catfish ideas folks here have actually used and
> > liked.
> >
> > We will probably do the normal breaded and fried this time but like
> > ideas for other ways you actually done and liked.
>
> I don't eat catfish, but you might google for "Chinese catfish recipe"
> or "Asian catfish recipe". I found a number of good-looking recipes.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:13:07 PM5/13/21

Sheldon Martin

May 13, 2021, 3:55:13 PM5/13/21
There are also several types of trout and several types of catfish.
When I was into keeping tropical fish I had several types of catfish,
catfish were recommended for helping keep tanks clean because they ate
the excrement of other fish.

dsi1

May 13, 2021, 4:27:18 PM5/13/21
Uncle potty mouth - you so dirty. So cute! :)

dsi1

May 13, 2021, 4:36:12 PM5/13/21
Beats me, I don't have much experience with lake fish. I can't even say if there's any trout on this rock. My guess is that the tilapia don't want any trout around. Those tilapia are badass, nasty, and dirty.
We seem to have an awful lot of hammerhead sharks in our bay. In Hawaii, the sharks sometimes eat you. Well, mostly they just have a little sample taste. I don't think they like the taste of humans. They must think we're dirty and nasty land catfish.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/05/10/graphic-teen-recounts-encounter-with-shark-off-kaneohe-that-left-him-with-sick-scar/

Walter de Rochebrune

May 13, 2021, 5:59:51 PM5/13/21

The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Walter de Rochebrune

May 13, 2021, 6:00:10 PM5/13/21

Walter de Rochebrune

May 13, 2021, 6:00:21 PM5/13/21

Walter de Rochebrune

May 13, 2021, 6:00:32 PM5/13/21

Walter de Rochebrune

May 13, 2021, 6:00:41 PM5/13/21

jmcquown

May 13, 2021, 7:32:07 PM5/13/21
On 5/12/2021 11:21 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

Fortunately no one in my area panicked. There has not been a run on
gasoline, no lines, no closed pumps/stations and no jack in price.
Pretty much business as usual. I filled up my car this morning on the
way to work but I needed to do that anyway.

> I'll describe what we did. I resourced (searched alternatives on
> google) for some things that I didn't have. Like a normal to Don
> breading mix he uses and went back to basics of staples we have here
> (he had fun and now likes it better). I resourced (searched) for a
> tartar sauce with no pickles as didn't have any.
>
> Here the results.
>
> A flat plate with a lip, 3 in line, happen to be 11 inches across.
> Gently graduated.
>
> For the fried fish
> Fish: 1.30lbs Catfish fillets (boneless)
> - Don cut to nuggets as that fits our deep fryer better
> Flour plate- about 1/3 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 2tsp black pepper
> Egg plate- 2 eggs mixed up in a cup and poured in
> Potato plate- probably 1/3 cup instant potato flakes
>
> Flour fish well then drop and roll in egg wash then coat in potato
> flakes. It took 4 batches for 1.30lbs to fit ours just right without
> crowding.
>
> Result. Very tender, very good. I rate this a 4 only because I know it
> can be tender but if you use a real scale for your home cooking, 4 is a
> very good marker.

(snippage)

> All in all a success even if if wasn't as planned but when I asked, I
> didn't know we would have a massive sudden gas availability issue here
> and I had to resort to what I had here at home. I am sure Jill, you
> understand that!

I understand resorting to using what you have at home, of course. We've
all had to "make do" before. :) So far the gasoline panic/shortage
seems to have skipped these sea islands. Knock wood.

> For sides, we had a bunch of fresh cucumber slices with a spicy french
> dressing and fresh fruit (Mango and strawberries) that we had on hand.
>
> Is it real Tartar sauce? No. It just works well enough in a pinch and
> oddly, it's a good thing on it's own.

Not being a fan of tartar sauce all I can say is I'm glad you enjoyed
it! I like the use of potato flakes in the fish coating. I've done
that with baked chicken and liked it. Might have to try it on fish
sometime. :)

Jill

cshenk

May 13, 2021, 8:59:18 PM5/13/21
dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 6:16:08 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > cshenk wrote:
> >
> > > Result. Very tender, very good. I rate this a 4 only because I
> > > know it can be tender but if you use a real scale for your home
> > > cooking, 4 is a very good marker.
> > Clarification. It's hard to make Catfish not tender. What I meant
> > is more spice might make this hit my 5 scale for home. It has to be
> > one that can deepfry and hold but I didn't try it.
>
> My brother took us catfish fishing in the Nuuanu Reservoir. We caught
> some big ones and we took it home and fried it up. It's kind of a
> tough fish to cut up but it the fillets were large and beautiful
> looking. It was a firm and tender fish i.e., the perfect texture for
> fish. The main problem is that it tasted awful. That was a big damn
> shame.
>
> http://www.mikescatchreport.com/2008/070508nc/070508catfish.html

The taste may have to do with Hawaii versions (and what they are
eating) or just not grown up on it. Hard to say.

cshenk

May 13, 2021, 9:14:50 PM5/13/21
Glad to pass it on! Leftovers eaten today for lunch were nice nuked
for 90seconds. Added strawberries as a side.

bruce bowser

May 14, 2021, 8:07:18 AM5/14/21
Two or three da ago, I put a chicken breast in with a can of wild and white rice. It had just the right amount of seasoning.

Walter de Rochebrune

May 14, 2021, 4:32:35 PM5/14/21

Walter de Rochebrune

May 14, 2021, 4:32:38 PM5/14/21

Walter de Rochebrune

May 14, 2021, 4:32:49 PM5/14/21
The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Walter de Rochebrune

May 14, 2021, 4:33:03 PM5/14/21
The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

dsi1

May 14, 2021, 5:25:08 PM5/14/21
The locals are certainly not used to eating fish from out rivers and canals. The good news is that we got all the lousy, dirty, stinkin', tilapia you can eat!

bruce bowser

May 14, 2021, 7:21:32 PM5/14/21
I heard that shark fins are what's hot.

dsi1

May 14, 2021, 7:29:03 PM5/14/21
On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 4:36:46 PM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> On 5/12/2021 3:03 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> [snip]

> >> Oh God, so that's why you're John's little rimjob bitch. It's your version of
> >> washing Jesus' feet. You found your "least of these," and you're stickin' to
> >> him. There are certainly more deserving "fowls of the air," but you picked
> >> Bachelor Kuthe. St. Peter might let you in, but odds are he'll be rolling his
> >> eyes.
> >>>
> >> --Bryan
> >
> > How did this food conversation between Jill and Carol devolve into
> > ... that out of place bullshit? Did you fall off the wagon again
> > and bump your widdle head?
> >
> > Save the bullshit for bullshit threads. And even then, this is still
> > a head-scratcher. Oh look, here comes Gregory for some anal sex.
> > You scored, Bryan!
> >
> > -sw
> >
> LOL This kind of immature, totally irrelevant crap is exactly why he
> went back into the bozo bin.

"Those nuts that burn their bras and walk around all disheveled and hate men? They’re crazy. Crazy..."

- Golda Meir

It is loading more messages.