What cheese for French Onion soup?

Julie Bove

Jul 12, 2011, 9:03:16 PM7/12/11
I used to make this soup but I'm the only one in the house who likes it.
Yes, I know I could make it for one and I have but it's a lot of work for
one bowl of soup. So I found some frozen at Safeway yesterday. Two
servings per box. I haven't opened it yet but it looks like two little
bowls. Can be done in the microwave. But it does say if you do it that way
you should add extra cheese, which I forgot to buy.

I can't remember now what cheese I used to use for it. I think it was
Gruyere which I don't have in the house. I do have cheddar, Mexican blend,
Mozzarella, Parmesano Reggiano and Asiago. I thought I would to a mix of
the Italian cheeses for now and I'll try to remember to buy Gruyere for the
next time I eat it.

So... What cheese do you use?

Jerry Avins

Jul 12, 2011, 9:11:53 PM7/12/11

Gruyere. I would try the asiago if desperate.

Jerry

Julie Bove

Jul 12, 2011, 10:10:05 PM7/12/11

Thanks! Wish I had bought it. I just remembered I also have Feta but I
know not to use that. That will be going in the beet salad.

Pico Rico

Jul 12, 2011, 9:40:40 PM7/12/11

"Jerry Avins" <j...@ieee.org> wrote in message

Jerry
--

I concur.

Kent

Jul 13, 2011, 1:59:15 AM7/13/11

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Emmentaler, with a bit of gruyere is classic. I'd hunt down a Wisconsin
Swiss. I use Wis. Emmentaler routinely when I make onion soup. I have the
same issue. I'm crazy about it. Mrs. is somewhat indifferent about it. One
thing I do that I think makes a difference is to toast slices of a baguette
and place those on top of the soup before adding the cheese. This, rather
than croutons. That, as we know, goes unto the broiler. It's a great dish,
made homemade. You have to have the right clay bowl for everything to work.
I use chicken stock, rather than beef stock, as the French usually do.

Kent

Julie Bove

Jul 13, 2011, 2:14:35 AM7/13/11

"Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thanks! I just used a tiny bit of Asiago and nothing else. The end result
was very good but a bit salty for my taste. I would buy it again though.

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 2:21:28 AM7/13/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:11:53 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins <j...@ieee.org>
wrote:

I use Jarlsberg. It's not traditional, but that's what I like. She
has Asiago and Mozzarella... so I'd use mainly asiago with a little
mozzarella for "glue". She can throw in some parmesan too if she
wants, but for heaven's sake don't use cheddar or mexican blend.

Storrmmee

Jul 13, 2011, 2:48:40 AM7/13/11
what if she likes those like you like your choice? Lee

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

Julie Bove

Jul 13, 2011, 3:27:40 AM7/13/11

"Storrmmee" <rgr...@consolidated.net> wrote in message

> what if she likes those like you like your choice? Lee

Well then for heaven's sake I should use them. Should I? Heh. I actually
did post that I would use the Italian cheeses but after I looked at how much
cheese was already in there, I determined that I didn't need much so only
used a touch of the Asiago. But in the old days when I used to make it, I
would sometimes just use whatever cheese I had in the house. I wouldn't
call it "French" onion. Just onion.

ViLco

Jul 13, 2011, 3:35:40 AM7/13/11
Jerry Avins wrote:

>> I can't remember now what cheese I used to use for it. I think it was
>> Gruyere which I don't have in the house. I do have cheddar, Mexican
>> blend, Mozzarella, Parmesano Reggiano and Asiago. I thought I would
>> to a mix of the Italian cheeses for now and I'll try to remember to
>> buy Gruyere for the next time I eat it.
>>
>> So... What cheese do you use?

> Gruyere. I would try the asiago if desperate.

Apart from mexican, which I do not know, and cheddar, which can be almost
anything, asiago is indeed the closest one to hruyere.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Julie Bove

Jul 13, 2011, 3:39:40 AM7/13/11

"ViLco" <vill...@tin.it> wrote in message

Thanks. That's what I used.

ViLco

Jul 13, 2011, 3:46:40 AM7/13/11
Julie Bove wrote:

>> asiago is indeed the closest one to hruyere.

> Thanks. That's what I used.

Which kind of asiago do you find locally? Here I find almost only young
asiago, light in taste and smell, or asiago pressato, "pressed", which is
just a bit tastier. Asiago d'allevo, or "aged", is a rarity I seldom see on
a counter.
Young asiago is one of my favorite soft cheeses, along with raclette and
edamer: I often use one of them in sandiwches, piadine, crostini/crostoni
(smaller/bigger broiled bread slices, crunchy) and many other ways, as some
good slices of raclette cheese over a smoking dish of onion soup.

Julie Bove

Jul 13, 2011, 3:59:31 AM7/13/11

"ViLco" <vill...@tin.it> wrote in message

I no longer have the wrapper but I believe it is aged. It is a harder
cheese.

Jim Elbrecht

Jul 13, 2011, 6:51:16 AM7/13/11

I'm with SF on this one-- the asiago would be too strong and not
stringy enough on its own-- the mozz would be too stringy and bland--
so marry them.

We like Gouda on ours.

Jim

ViLco

Jul 13, 2011, 8:16:56 AM7/13/11
Julie Bove wrote:

>> Which kind of asiago do you find locally? Here I find almost only
>> young asiago, light in taste and smell, or asiago pressato,
>> "pressed", which is just a bit tastier. Asiago d'allevo, or "aged",
>> is a rarity I seldom see on a counter.
>> Young asiago is one of my favorite soft cheeses, along with raclette
>> and edamer: I often use one of them in sandiwches, piadine,
>> crostini/crostoni (smaller/bigger broiled bread slices, crunchy) and
>> many other ways, as some good slices of raclette cheese over a
>> smoking dish of onion soup.

> I no longer have the wrapper but I believe it is aged. It is a harder
> cheese.

Wow, glad for you!

Jim Elbrecht

Jul 13, 2011, 8:46:38 AM7/13/11
"ViLco" <vill...@tin.it> wrote:

I've never seen [noticed?] young asiago. Now I'm going to start
looking--

I don't have a package handy right now-- but reading on the Wiki page,
it appears that what we've been getting is over 18 months-- It is as
hard as the Grana Padano.

Jim

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 9:18:22 AM7/13/11
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:46:40 +0200, "ViLco" <vill...@tin.it> wrote:

> Which kind of asiago do you find locally? Here I find almost only young
> asiago, light in taste and smell, or asiago pressato, "pressed", which is
> just a bit tastier. Asiago d'allevo, or "aged", is a rarity I seldom see on
> a counter.

You'd have to go to a dedicated cheese shop (or find a grocery with a
cheese counter that mimics a cheese shop) here to find aged asiago, I
didn't know there was such a thing until you mentioned it. I only
just discovered aged Gouda last summer and was surprised by how much
the taste reminds me of cheddar.

> Young asiago is one of my favorite soft cheeses, along with raclette and
> edamer: I often use one of them in sandiwches, piadine, crostini/crostoni
> (smaller/bigger broiled bread slices, crunchy) and many other ways, as some
> good slices of raclette cheese over a smoking dish of onion soup.

Raclette is another one that most likely won't be found in a
supermarket cheese case. I've never known what to do with it other
than melted and on bread... you say it works well to cover a bowl of
onion soup too? I may try that sometime. Typical summer weather is
setting in, so it has been foggy and cold lately.

jmcquown

Jul 13, 2011, 9:43:35 AM7/13/11

"Jerry Avins" <j...@ieee.org> wrote in message
Gruyere is a form of Swiss. I always have swiss cheese on hand because I
like it on hamburgers. I'm not sure about mozzarelle. Asiago would be a
close third for me in French onion soup.

Jill

Nancy2

Jul 13, 2011, 12:21:13 PM7/13/11
On Jul 13, 12:59 am, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote in message

I thought the toasted baguette slices under the cheese were de
rigeur. No? That's what I've always used. I use a good aged Swiss
or Baby Swiss - because I usually have that on hand. And beef stock.

N.

Kent

Jul 13, 2011, 2:35:27 PM7/13/11

"Nancy2" <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote in message

N.

Croutons are asked for in almost all recipes I've seen. Beef stock is very
common. In some French cookbooks, including the Larousse, chicken stock is
the stock. I think either can abe used. It's just that the quality of most
beef stocks is very marginal. Chicken stock does enrich the soup a bit, and
it hides behind the onion.

Kent

David Harmon

Jul 13, 2011, 2:58:49 PM7/13/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 22:59:15 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "Kent"
<keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote,

>thing I do that I think makes a difference is to toast slices of a baguette
>and place those on top of the soup before adding the cheese. This, rather
>than croutons.

Those _are_ the croutons.

Brooklyn1

Jul 13, 2011, 3:58:07 PM7/13/11

>"Nancy2" wrote:
>
>I thought the toasted baguette slices under the cheese were de
>rigeur. No? That's what I've always used. I use a good aged Swiss
>or Baby Swiss - because I usually have that on hand. And beef stock.
>
>N.

I use Jarlsberg, one of my favorite cheeses... I grate the rind for
soups, omelets, etc.

Bryan

Jul 13, 2011, 9:52:13 PM7/13/11
On Jul 13, 1:48 am, "Storrmmee" <rgr...@consolidated.net> wrote:
> what if she likes those like you like your choice?

Well, she could use them then, but she asked for advice.

If I make it, I just use store brand Swiss. I put it on top, then top
brown it. It's my only use for Swiss.

> Lee
>
> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:11:53 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins <j...@ieee.org>
> > wrote:

> >> Gruyere. I would try the asiago if desperate.
>
> > I use Jarlsberg.  It's not traditional, but that's what I like.  She
> > has Asiago and Mozzarella... so I'd use mainly asiago with a little
> > mozzarella for "glue".  She can throw in some parmesan too if she
> > wants, but for heaven's sake don't use cheddar or mexican blend.

--Bryan

----

Jul 13, 2011, 10:40:27 PM7/13/11
On Jul 12, 9:03 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:

Gruyere first choice. Emmentaler second choice. Jarlsberg 3rd choice.
Any nutty swiss type will do. It's the sweetness and nuttyness that
you want to complement the sweetness of the onions.

Portland

Jul 13, 2011, 11:52:23 PM7/13/11
On Jul 12, 9:03 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:

This is politically incorrect. I buy Holland Rusks. They fit
perfectly on top of the standard French Onion Soup bowl. Then I take
some parmesan cheese that's been grated. I mix that with some onion
soup broth so that it becomes pasty. Then I spoon this over the rusk
that is now sitting on top of the bowl. It's pretty bloody good.
Other versions I have had are the same stuff, but with gruyere
cheese. I tend to make the onion soup fairly hearty with some
sherry. I can remember with fondness, I was night chef at an English
type pub that also served French Onion soup. When I came in at about
5:00PM, the head chef already had a bottle of some nice sherry ready
for me to put into the French Onion soup. Hardly any of that sherry
went into the soup. You know what I'm sane? The boss finally figured
out what was going on. He cut our sherry rations down drastically.
No big deal. We figured out how to get beer out of a keg. Watney's
beer, imported from England. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Jerry Avins

Jul 13, 2011, 11:55:16 PM7/13/11

Both Jarlsburg and Switzerland Swiss are Emmenthalers. If the two, I
pre Jarlsburg by far.

Julie Bove

Jul 14, 2011, 1:18:37 AM7/14/11

Thanks.

Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

Jul 14, 2011, 3:56:42 AM7/14/11

"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:Xns9F22186...@216.196.97.131...
> Julie,
>
> We wandered around the polo field during a match break, in Boca Raton,
> Florida, picking up horseshit and filling in divits during the two
> timeouts! What a first class thing for the fans to do!!!
>
> Prior to the match we had French onion soup covered in the Guryere (sp?)
> cheese and beef Wellington. First class gourmet food. Then we all stepped
> around in horseshit. It's tradition.
>
> Leaving Florida was such a relief!

I didn't know they still made Beef Wellington! I've never had it but my BIL
(that's brother in law) had it at a restaurant in Bloomsburg, PA. I warned
him not to order it because I didn't think he would like it. I knew what it
was. Just didn't think he would like it. He wanted spaghetti but his wife
at the time chastised him and told him never to order in a restaurant that
which he could make at home. Which to me is a perfectly silly notion
because one can make pretty much anything at home if they have the skills
and want to do it. Yes, some cuts of meat may not be widely available to
the general public but if you want them you can find a way to get them.
Long story short he had the Beef Wellington and didn't like it.

Message has been deleted

John Kuthe

Jul 14, 2011, 10:23:20 AM7/14/11
On Jul 12, 8:11 pm, Jerry Avins <j...@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 9:03 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
>
> > I used to make this soup but I'm the only one in the house who likes it.
> > Yes, I know I could make it for one and I have but it's a lot of work for
> > one bowl of soup.  So I found some frozen at Safeway yesterday.  Two
> > servings per box.  I haven't opened it yet but it looks like two little
> > bowls.  Can be done in the microwave.  But it does say if you do it that way
> > you should add extra cheese, which I forgot to buy.
>
> > I can't remember now what cheese I used to use for it.  I think it was
> > Gruyere which I don't have in the house.  I do have cheddar, Mexican blend,
> > Mozzarella, Parmesano Reggiano and Asiago.  I thought I would to a mix of
> > the Italian cheeses for now and I'll try to remember to buy Gruyere for the
> > next time I eat it.
>
> > So...  What cheese do you use?
>
> Gruyere. I would try the asiago if desperate.
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

Second the Gruyere! It ROCKS!!

John Kuthe...

sf

Jul 14, 2011, 10:54:46 AM7/14/11