Supper - Jill's Swiss Steak

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2021, 10:54:27 PM8/1/21
I finally made the spicy Swiss Steak, and I was not disappointed! I've
only made it the "old school" way with tomato sauce before. Meat cut is
top round. I don't know that I'd call it "spicy" -- I believe the term
was due to the ginger in it. I might add more ginger next time. I
cooked it with the foil off for the last 20 minutes or so.

I followed the directions in Jill's mother's recipe; the only exceptions
being that I added a cut up green bell pepper (first from my garden this
year - those slow peppers), and about 3/4 of a yellow onion before
baking. I'm not going to repost the recipe, see Jill's post 9:20 AM on
7/25/21.

I also made fresh string beans from the market today, snapped in pieces
with ends snapped off. I simmered them with a clove of minced garlic
and the remaining onion quarter, as well as minimal salt/pepper, and a
bit of reserved bacon drippings.

The baked potatoes were rubbed with butter and baked in the pan. I saw
an old depression era woman bake them this way - no tin foil. I prefer
them like this, personally. The skin has a bit more "bite" to it.

My daughter Sophia's plate pictured, I added some of the swiss steak and
pepper/onion drippings to my potato. I decided not to turn it into a
gravy, it was fine as is. She said it was very good, and I am quite
pleased with how it turned out as well! Dinner was wonderful -- Yum,
thanks Jill!!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/MRYh50h

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2021, 11:02:01 PM8/1/21
Unfortunately, the green pepper was a bit on the bitter side. Perhaps I
plucked it too early. Are they more bitter when they are small?

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 11:05:36 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 22:54:19 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
I hope you lightly seasoned it in honour of Jill.

PS: Your daughter uses the same plates as Sheldon.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 11:06:52 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 23:01:54 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

>Unfortunately, the green pepper was a bit on the bitter side. Perhaps I
>plucked it too early. Are they more bitter when they are small?

If you don't want a bit of bitter, let it go red (or yellow or
whatever its future is).

GM

Aug 2, 2021, 2:01:46 AM8/2/21
I like it...a good late summer/early autumn dish...

--
GM

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 2:09:37 AM8/2/21
Not suitable for early summer/late autumn, let alone winter or spring?

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 2, 2021, 5:09:47 AM8/2/21
On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 10:54:27 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> I finally made the spicy Swiss Steak, and I was not disappointed! I've
> only made it the "old school" way with tomato sauce before. Meat cut is
> top round. I don't know that I'd call it "spicy" -- I believe the term
> was due to the ginger in it. I might add more ginger next time. I
> cooked it with the foil off for the last 20 minutes or so.
>
> I followed the directions in Jill's mother's recipe; the only exceptions
> being that I added a cut up green bell pepper (first from my garden this
> year - those slow peppers), and about 3/4 of a yellow onion before
> baking. I'm not going to repost the recipe, see Jill's post 9:20 AM on
> 7/25/21.
>
> I also made fresh string beans from the market today, snapped in pieces
> with ends snapped off. I simmered them with a clove of minced garlic
> and the remaining onion quarter, as well as minimal salt/pepper, and a
> bit of reserved bacon drippings.

Have you ever tried green beans cooked until tender-crisp and still
bright green?

> The baked potatoes were rubbed with butter and baked in the pan. I saw
> an old depression era woman bake them this way - no tin foil. I prefer
> them like this, personally. The skin has a bit more "bite" to it.

I've never baked potatoes in foil. I always just put them on the
oven rack. My husband likes them rubbed with bacon fat and
salted before baking.

> My daughter Sophia's plate pictured, I added some of the swiss steak and
> pepper/onion drippings to my potato. I decided not to turn it into a
> gravy, it was fine as is. She said it was very good, and I am quite
> pleased with how it turned out as well! Dinner was wonderful -- Yum,
> thanks Jill!!
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/MRYh50h

That's more food than I could eat. Oh, to be young again...
(Although what I miss the most is a solid night's sleep.)

Cindy Hamilton

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 10:04:01 AM8/2/21
I only planted green bell peppers. Would those turn other colors?

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 10:05:09 AM8/2/21
Are you joking about the plates? Lol

The meat was lightly seasoned while fried, other seasonings in the
recipe. Any other salt gained was from the can of beef bouillon.

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 10:09:39 AM8/2/21
On 8/2/2021 5:09 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Have you ever tried green beans cooked until tender-crisp and still
> bright green?

I can't say that I have, but sounds like something to try. Honestly, I
usually just crack a can open, but fresh string beans are *SO* much
better. I cooked them until the water ran out because I know that the
nutrients typically leach into the cooking water. Maybe less water next
time?

> That's more food than I could eat. Oh, to be young again...
> (Although what I miss the most is a solid night's sleep.)

Really? The meat was smaller than the palm of my hand, and it was a
small potato. It's hard to tell from the close up. I was surprised
that she finished it either way, she isn't one to eat much. I was
surprised that she loved the string beans (but complained about the
potato skin). Perhaps foil bake isn't as common as I thought, but
that's the only way my family made it growing up.

Taxed and Spent

Aug 2, 2021, 10:14:35 AM8/2/21
You should have planted seeds, not a whole green bell pepper.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 2, 2021, 10:44:25 AM8/2/21
wrote:

>Unfortunately, the green pepper was a bit on the bitter side. Perhaps I
>plucked it too early. Are they more bitter when they are small?

Bell peppers are not called green peppers, they are called green bell
peppers... most peppers are green when first formed. As bell peppers
ripen they turn red or other colors. Bell peppers lose their
bitterness as they ripen and their sugar forms. When first formed they
can be bitter... you picked them too soon... however some like that
bitterness in fried bell peppers, I do as it balances the sweetness of
fried onions which I usually fry together, good on a burger.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 2, 2021, 11:02:39 AM8/2/21
I don't see any plates, just some serving pieces but nothing like
anything we have. Our only plates are the Mikasa ones with the black
border, or a set of all white from France... and of course our paper
plates.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 2, 2021, 11:24:23 AM8/2/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 23:01:43 -0700 (PDT), GM
<gregorymorr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 9:54:27 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I finally made the spicy Swiss Steak, and I was not disappointed! I've
>> only made it the "old school" way with tomato sauce before. Meat cut is
>> top round. I don't know that I'd call it "spicy" -- I believe the term
>> was due to the ginger in it. I might add more ginger next time. I
>> cooked it with the foil off for the last 20 minutes or so.

Well ginger is a spice. I might have added a little orange zest too.
I keep a knob of ginger root in my freezer, I grate some into a dish.
The one thing I'd do differently concerns those bay leaves, I'd not
have broken them into bits or someone could choke. When I cook with
bay leaves I only use whole ones that are in good shape, and I count
them going in and coming out. The broken bay leaves go into my
pickling spice jar. I sometimes use bay leaves to season a roast but
then I place some under the butcher's twine I used to tie the roast...
I'll even make a note about how many I used. For soups/stews
I'll place the bay leaves and peppercorns in a mesh teaball.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 2, 2021, 11:30:16 AM8/2/21
You live on some other side of the planet... no matter where you go
you're a foreigner/alien.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 1:54:39 PM8/2/21
On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 10:03:55 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

>On 8/1/2021 11:06 PM, Bruce 3.1 wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 23:01:54 -0400, Michael Trew<mt99...@ymail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, the green pepper was a bit on the bitter side. Perhaps I
>>> plucked it too early. Are they more bitter when they are small?
>>
>> If you don't want a bit of bitter, let it go red (or yellow or
>> whatever its future is).
>
>I only planted green bell peppers. Would those turn other colors?

Green peppers are unripe peppers. If you let them ripen, they get
their colour and become sweeter.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 1:55:27 PM8/2/21
On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 10:05:02 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
Good. Any steamed vegetables?

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 2:18:18 PM8/2/21
On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 11:02:32 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
Paper plates... to fold airplanes from?

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 2:19:27 PM8/2/21
On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 11:30:08 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
Yes, the southern hemisphere.

> no matter where you go you're a foreigner/alien.

Ah yes, the great tragedy of the emigrant *tiny violin*

bruce bowser

Aug 2, 2021, 2:53:03 PM8/2/21
I've never wished I was day younger. You want to relive all those years?

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 2:54:26 PM8/2/21
But you wouldn't be obliged to make the same mistakes again, would
you?

bruce bowser

Aug 2, 2021, 2:56:26 PM8/2/21
Except if you have a lot of money. Then you're NEVER a foreigner. No matter where you go! if you have enough money, the welcome mat always gets fancier.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 2, 2021, 3:07:51 PM8/2/21
I don't really want to be younger. It would be nice to be able to sleep
soundly through the night the way children do.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 3:15:26 PM8/2/21
I think the problem is partly that we sit on our butts all day,
whereas children run around, chase each other, hang off the
chandeliers etc.

bruce bowser

Aug 2, 2021, 3:36:14 PM8/2/21
I'm sure there are foods or drinks that can help. Like grape juice or milk before bed?

bruce bowser

Aug 2, 2021, 3:37:03 PM8/2/21
The opposite of that would surprise you.

jmcquown

Aug 2, 2021, 3:37:52 PM8/2/21
Bruce was trying to be funny. The third image in the album is his
daughter's separated plate (like a cafeteria tray) with cartoon images.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/MRYh50h

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 2, 2021, 3:50:07 PM8/2/21
On 8/1/2021 10:54 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I finally made the spicy Swiss Steak, and I was not disappointed!  I've
> only made it the "old school" way with tomato sauce before.  Meat cut is
> top round.  I don't know that I'd call it "spicy" -- I believe the term
> was due to the ginger in it.  I might add more ginger next time.  I
> cooked it with the foil off for the last 20 minutes or so.

Yes, that's why Mom called it "spicy". Ginger was considered an exotic
spice to someone who was born in 1926 and grew up in a very small
village in Ohio.

> I followed the directions in Jill's mother's recipe; the only exceptions
> being that I added a cut up green bell pepper (first from my garden this
> year - those slow peppers), and about 3/4 of a yellow onion before
> baking.  I'm not going to repost the recipe, see Jill's post 9:20 AM on
> 7/25/21.
>
> I also made fresh string beans from the market today, snapped in pieces
> with ends snapped off.  I simmered them with a clove of minced garlic
> and the remaining onion quarter, as well as minimal salt/pepper, and a
> bit of reserved bacon drippings.
>
> The baked potatoes were rubbed with butter and baked in the pan.  I saw
> an old depression era woman bake them this way - no tin foil.  I prefer
> them like this, personally.  The skin has a bit more "bite" to it.

I've always baked potatoes rubbed with butter and sprinkled with salt.
The skin crisps up nicely; then again I eat the potato skin, too. I've
used foil when baking potatoes.

> My daughter Sophia's plate pictured, I added some of the swiss steak and
> pepper/onion drippings to my potato.  I decided not to turn it into a
> gravy, it was fine as is.  She said it was very good, and I am quite
> pleased with how it turned out as well!  Dinner was wonderful --  Yum,
> thanks Jill!!
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/MRYh50h

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you both enjoyed it. :)

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 2, 2021, 3:50:32 PM8/2/21
Grape juice is high in sugar, and would have a stimulant effect.

I have no trouble falling asleep. I'm out like a light by 9 pm. Then I wake up every
couple of hours until I get up at 4 am.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Aug 2, 2021, 4:23:07 PM8/2/21
I never used to want to relive my teens and 20s. Now that I am 70 and my
body is starting to fall apart the teens are starting to look more
attractive. In my 20s I could work hard all day long, come home and mow
the lawn for two hours and go out and party. These days I can sleep in,
go out in the late morning and mow the lawn, veg out in front of the TV
and be tired enough to go to bed at 11. Do you have any idea how many of
we old farts injure our shoulders in our sleep?

Dave Smith

Aug 2, 2021, 4:25:26 PM8/2/21
That's one thing nice about old age. Sleep does come easier. You learn
to get up and pee when you feel the need coming on and wake up well
rested because you've got it down to a science, get up and go to the
bathroom and then get right back into bed. In the morning you have to
check Fitbit to realize you had been up 4 or 5 times to pee.

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 9:42:17 PM8/2/21
I planted live seedlings, small plants... you know what I meant, I
didn't throw peppers in the ground and hope for a pepper tree.

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 9:42:45 PM8/2/21
Huh, I didn't know that, I assumed there were different varieties of
bell peppers that came to be different colors.

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 9:43:40 PM8/2/21
Good to know, thanks! I haven't grown peppers in years -- my parents
did when I was younger. I'll let the next ones start to turn color.

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 9:44:40 PM8/2/21
No, I simmered the string beans in water until the water mostly boiled
out so I didn't drain away the nutrients. I'm not sure how one would
steam them, but I like the concept.

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 9:47:29 PM8/2/21
I did find the bay leaves odd... I do the same think you do with soups
and what not with whole bay leaves, counted. It was a chore to cut them
up into small enough pieces that they "blended in". Next time that I
make the dish, I think I will leave whole bay leaves in with the beef
bullion.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 9:47:34 PM8/2/21
On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 21:42:41 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
There are, but they start green and then ripen to red, yellow, orange,
purple etc.

Michael Trew

Aug 2, 2021, 9:52:28 PM8/2/21
Not a problem, it was nice to try something new! Truth be told, with my
style of cooking, I very rarely use ginger. I did have some, that was
new enough to use. I couldn't find Marjoram at the store, but an
internet search told me that a close replacement would be Thyme, so
that's what I used in its place.

I also eat the potato skins with butter. I don't bother to butter the
potatoes after baking, they come out delicious! I did put some of the
pepper/onion/bullion mix over my potato however. I have plenty left
over to enjoy a few following nights.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 3, 2021, 4:56:08 AM8/3/21
If only you had a microwave...

You can cook them in a covered frying pan with only a little liquid.
Here's a good-looking recipe:

<https://www.jessicagavin.com/sauteed-green-beans/>

You don't even need to use the same ingredients. You could
omit the garlic, substitute something else for the olive oil,
use plain water instead of vegetable broth.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Aug 3, 2021, 8:24:55 AM8/3/21
Michael Trew wrote:
> (but complained about the
> potato skin). Perhaps foil bake isn't as common as I thought, but
> that's the only way my family made it growing up.

When I was growing up, none of my family ever ate potato skins. For that
reason, I assumed that it's not something to eat.

Then one night, I ate dinner with a friend and his family. They were all
eating the potato skins and I freaked out. WTH?

So I ate mine too (as to not be different) and discovered that they were
good.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 3, 2021, 10:11:40 AM8/3/21
Best part of a baked potato. Sometimes I scoop out most of the flesh and
discard it.

Cindy Hamilton

Michael Trew

Aug 3, 2021, 10:11:41 AM8/3/21
Oh I do.. It's in storage in the basement ;)

> You can cook them in a covered frying pan with only a little liquid.
> Here's a good-looking recipe:
>
> <https://www.jessicagavin.com/sauteed-green-beans/>
>
> You don't even need to use the same ingredients. You could
> omit the garlic, substitute something else for the olive oil,
> use plain water instead of vegetable broth.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Thanks! I'll try that. Fry the garlic first, and use minimal water or
broth.

Michael Trew

Aug 3, 2021, 10:12:17 AM8/3/21
Agreed! I like them a little on the crisp side. Some people pay for
potato skins with cheese on them.. Lol

Janet

Aug 3, 2021, 10:43:41 AM8/3/21
In article <23eeafad-4983-48b0...@googlegroups.com>,
angelica...@yahoo.com says...
Try eating a raw peeled kiwi fruit at bedtime. Seriously.

Janet UK

bruce bowser

Aug 3, 2021, 12:38:16 PM8/3/21
Not everyone is into cheap solutions like heath food or exercising. Maybe a pricey prescription drug of some sort might help.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 3, 2021, 12:52:56 PM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 10:43:41 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
My GERD just exploded at the thought of eating that at bedtime.

Cindy Hamilton

Steve Wertz

Aug 3, 2021, 1:48:53 PM8/3/21

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 3, 2021, 2:05:12 PM8/3/21
My grandmother did similar. Then in another pan she toasted bread
crumbs in butter for a topping. I made it a couple of nights ago.

bruce bowser

Aug 3, 2021, 2:24:02 PM8/3/21
"A glass of warm milk with honey is highly rated for its magic to help you sleep soundly and prevent unnecessary waking".

Plenty of exercise after work helps, too.

jmcquown

Aug 3, 2021, 5:47:32 PM8/3/21
You could certainly do that. Or, if you have a pestle and mortar, grind
the bay leaves into a powder. :)

Jill

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 12:34:27 AM8/4/21
I don't have a pestle, but I do have a mortar. I was unable to grind
them in a bowl. I'm not sure if it was due to the ceramic being smooth,
or due to the bay leaves not being new (stale?). They didn't break or
chop easily. Kind of how when crackers get stale they are more
difficult to crumble; almost soft.

What do you do with the bay leaves when you make it? I couldn't find
Marjoram, so I used thyme. I can't remember if I mentioned that. I
suppose I'll have to look for marjoram at a larger market.

S Viemeister

Aug 4, 2021, 7:09:07 AM8/4/21
On 04/08/2021 05:34, Michael Trew wrote:

> What do you do with the bay leaves when you make it?  I couldn't find
> Marjoram, so I used thyme.  I can't remember if I mentioned that.  I
> suppose I'll have to look for marjoram at a larger market.

If I don't have marjoram, I generally substitute oregano, rather than thyme.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 4, 2021, 7:59:48 AM8/4/21
On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 00:34:23 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
Bay leaves are difficult to grind into a powder, I tried it with my
coffee bean whizer but still won't grind well. I leave bay leaves
whole and remove them or place them into a metal teaball. I use
marjoram often, easy to find in larger stores, or buy it on line.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=marjoram&ref=nb_sb_noss

Dave Smith

Aug 4, 2021, 9:30:03 AM8/4/21
I am beginning to wonder about thyme. I used to use it in small doses in
dressing. I started growing it in my herb garden and my wife has been
using it a lot. Any time she served me something with it I find
something objectionable about the taste. It seems to be the thyme. We
stopped using it.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 4, 2021, 10:08:17 AM8/4/21
I find a very, very small quantity is sufficient. No matter what the recipe
calls for, a pinch is enough for us.

Cindy Hamilton

S Viemeister

Aug 4, 2021, 10:58:31 AM8/4/21
I've switched to lemon thyme, freshly picked. Much nicer than the usual
dried stuff.

Dave Smith

Aug 4, 2021, 11:21:21 AM8/4/21
I used to use the dried stuff and liked it. Last year I planted some and
when I used it I thought maybe I had mistakenly used some sort of weed.
I planted more this year and confirmed it was the fresh thyme that had
the bad taste.

bruce bowser

Aug 4, 2021, 1:30:01 PM8/4/21
You mean for only 'you'. You don't know how much salt is enough for a man.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 4, 2021, 1:44:09 PM8/4/21
Thyme, you moron, not salt. Stop day-drinking if you're going to post.

Cindy Hamilton

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 11:36:16 PM8/4/21
I did read that... embarrassingly, I didn't have Oregano either. I
thought that I did, but I wasn't running back to the store again.

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 11:38:13 PM8/4/21
I thought about using my coffee grinder, but I figured there wouldn't be
enough in there to get it up to the blades.