Seppo, you are an idiot and spaghetti bolognaise

1 view

Peter Mackay

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
In article <397CFC0A...@invalid.adelaide.on.net>,
sren...@invalid.adelaide.on.net says...
> > Hell, when I was an impoverished student, my cooking was never cordon
> > bleu, but I thrived and survived. Simmer tomatoes for a few hours, add
> > some onions and herbs, chuck in a bit of mince, pour over spaghetti and
> > you have a meal cheap, nutritious, packed full of protein, and tasty.
>
> "Simmer tomatoes for a few hours" What the hell were you
> attempting? To make some kind of "Holy Soup", that you boiled
> hell out of (and all goodness with it). The "mince" you talk
> about has MORE FAT that a Big Mac burger! One of the things your
> cooking will NOT be is "nutritious" as it is missing all the
> vitamins you KILLED and boiled out of it!! Don't give up your day
> job. Better still go and purchase a Big Mac, it is vastly more
> nutritious that your cooking!

Seppo, you have been honoured by a response from me twice in a month.
Don't let it go to your head.

It's clear you don't have a clue how to make spag bog. For a start, one
doesn't boil up the tomatoes holus bolus in a saucepan of water and then
chuck the water away. Nor is the lean mince I buy fattier than McDonalds,
unless they have switched to using foam plastic meat which wouldn't
surprise me a great deal.

--

Cheers! Peter Mackay

peter....@bigpond.com
personal opinion only

soupnazi

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00

Peter Mackay <peter....@bigpond.com> wrote in message

a good suco simmers for hours to get the right consistency......

the sauce should stick to the spag.......we're not making soup
here.......

long and slow baby......

>Nor is the lean mince I buy fattier than McDonalds,
> unless they have switched to using foam plastic meat which wouldn't
> surprise me a great deal.

no, they're still using cardboard.......

Peter Mackay

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
In article <96458038...@pluto.global.net.au>,
calabri...@global.net.au says...

> a good suco simmers for hours to get the right consistency......
>
> the sauce should stick to the spag.......we're not making soup
> here.......
>
> long and slow baby......

Indeed. I favour Roma tomatoes, sliced up in the morning and left
simmering very gently until nearly time to eat. Add some red wine, clear-
golden onions, herbs to taste and some lean meat.

In fact, apart from the mince, I prefer to prepare the sauce a day ahead.

Seppo's idea of *boiling* the poor things in water and serving
immediately sends shivvvvvvers up my spine. Perhaps they do things
different in Septicland.

the Reids

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Following up to Peter Mackay :
i'll try and pour olive oil on troubled water with an Italian recipe
for it, they should know.

Tagliatelle al ragu
olive oil, butter and chopped onion, saute till golden
add grated celery and carrot saute some more
add minced beef, cook until browned
add a little red wine, reduce
add a little milk and grated nutmeg evaporate
add peeled plum tomatoes, chopped and simmer for three hours.
serve mixed into pasta, with grated parmesan and a little high
quality extra virgin..
--
Regards
Mike Reid

Seppo Renfors

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

Fuck but you are a dishonest bastard Mackay!! This time I left in
rec.food.cooking, last time I snipped it, so as not to embarrass
you. This time you deserve everything you get! This is what YOU
said:

"Simmer tomatoes for a few hours, add some onions and herbs,
chuck in a bit of mince, pour over spaghetti and you have a meal
cheap, nutritious, packed full of protein, and tasty."

"SIMMER" you bloody great, bog ignorant moron, refers to BOILING
at low heat! Now piss off and learn some bloody cooking - better
still go to MacDonalds, at least THEIR stuff is vastly more
nourishing than yours (and vastly tastier)!

And in your further attempts at twisting the story you said:
"For a start, one doesn't boil up the tomatoes holus bolus in a
saucepan of water and then chuck the water away."

A SECOND confirmation you were talking about BOILING in very
clear language. MY QUESTION to you was:
"What the hell do you do with the water BOIL THE MINCE or DRINK
it??" But you had actually ALREADY stated you were boiling it, so
in reality it only left DRINKING IT, if you were not to throw it
away!

Then you go pissing on about YOUR idiocity was my idea!!! Get a
GRIP!

Jesus H christ, can't you find something more important to
fabricate stories about that cooking spaghetti, like you normally
do?? All I can say is you are utterly DESPERATE. Still smarting
from past arse kickings I've give you, Hmmm?
--

SIR -Philosopher Unauthorised
" Don't resent getting old. A great many are denied that

Seppo Renfors

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

There are about as many recipes for this as there are people
cooking it. The item arose from a discussion of a single
impoverished student who had to cook a meal at a very low cost.
Therefor the above is unsuitable -as it isn't a "low cost" one
off meal. The comparison was to a MacDonals burger - the cost had
to be LESS than one of them and at least as nutritious.

That is where Mackay uttered his idiocity, and realising how
idiotic it was, attempted to shift his idiocity on me. He is a
right dishonest bastard!

Start talking extra virgin olive oil, wine, exotic herbs and
spices and you lost it. Add your 3 hours worth of electricity to
that, and you might as well go and get a Big Mac, it's cheaper
and as nutritious! No time wasted that could spend studying (or
chasing girls)

As it is a dish that comes from Bologna, one of their recipes
includes the following not mentioned by you:

Mushrooms
Chicken livers
Sugar
Beef stock
Coarsely chopped bacon (rind removed)
Chopped fresh basil
Tomato paste
Fresh ground pepper
Celery sliced NOT grated
water if necessary
(no skin on tomatoes)

It appears the chicken livers (ugh - yach) are the essential
component. The bacon will assist in maintaining the right colour
as well as modify the taste.

cooking time 45 min - 1 hr.

NOT included are:
Butter
Carrots

There are many variations of this. Which is "right", depends
entirely on your taste. I would never put onion, carrot or celery
in it, mushrooms yes if I have them, a little garlic
-occasionally, I also change the milk to cream, and use tomato
sauce if no paste is available, as well as blanched (and skin
removed) very ripe tomatoes (or tinned if others not available)
-no water, no butter- add milk if necessary instead. Various
spices and herbs as I felt like at the time. Cooking time 20 min.

The time has been reduced by removing the onions and celery, and
the time required to reduce the sauce to the right consistence
due to the wine (rather drink it instead), milk and water. The
right amount of "cling" to the pasta can be achieved this way too
and it's quick.

Cooking isn't a very exact science, it goes with the mood and
circumstances at the time.

the Reids

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Following up to Seppo Renfors :

>Therefor the above is unsuitable -as it isn't a "low cost" one
>off meal. The comparison was to a MacDonals burger - the cost had
>to be LESS than one of them and at least as nutritious.
got it ! I would normally now slag off McD but spag bol isnt exactly
healthfood. Have you considered a healthy salad, no neither have I.

>That is where Mackay uttered his idiocity, and realising how
>idiotic it was, attempted to shift his idiocity on me. He is a
>right dishonest bastard!
such is life

>Start talking extra virgin olive oil, wine, exotic herbs and
>spices and you lost it. Add your 3 hours worth of electricity to
>that, and you might as well go and get a Big Mac, it's cheaper
>and as nutritious! No time wasted that could spend studying (or
>chasing girls)
in order of preference :- spag bol, studying, big mac (wife might be
listening)

>As it is a dish that comes from Bologna
see below, there is an official recipe !!!

>, one of their recipes
>includes the following not mentioned by you:
>Mushrooms
I use them too, but see below !
?
>Sugar
not for me
>Beef stock
cant argue

>Coarsely chopped bacon (rind removed)
>Chopped fresh basil
forgot these 2 too ! and oregano.
>Tomato paste
or just more tomatoes, but fair enough
>Fresh ground pepper
assumed ! along with garlic

>Celery sliced NOT grated
>water if necessary
OK
>(no skin on tomatoes)
agreed !

>It appears the chicken livers (ugh - yach) are the essential
>component.
news to me, I like em but not in spag bol, it would get very rich.

>NOT included are:
>Butter
>Carrots

I stand by me carrots !

>The time has been reduced by removing the onions and celery, and
>the time required to reduce the sauce to the right consistence
>due to the wine (rather drink it instead), milk and water. The
>right amount of "cling" to the pasta can be achieved this way too
>and it's quick.

I see the logic of drinking the wine, but I dont see how it can be
cooked without onion, a sofrito is its basis.

>Cooking isn't a very exact science, it goes with the mood and
>circumstances at the time.

Absolutly, half art, half science, half luck :-S

OFFICIAL RECIPE
Spag Bol is one of the few recipes that has an official version lodged
with Bologne Chamber of Commerce.
Make a sofrito with butter, onion, celery and carrot and proscuitto
ham to which is added minced veal, tomatoes, lemon zest, nutmeg.
Cook for at least two hours, then bind with a little cream.

--
Regards
Mike Reid