Tonight's Supper 5/28

Michael Trew

May 28, 2022, 9:24:48 PM5/28/22
I made up a quick and easy meal, with a box of this "New Orleans"
Jambalaya. I had it in my cabinet for ages. Turns out, it was just
seasoning and rice. As recommended, I added meat, but I used sliced up
Kielbasa. I also added a drained can of black beans. I don't know if
black beans are "jambalaya authentic", but it was a good addition
none-the-less.

Yesterday was homemade potatoes au gratin. Not quite a complete meal,
but a meal none-the-less!

GM

May 28, 2022, 9:26:04 PM5/28/22
I like it all...

--
GM

Michael Trew

May 28, 2022, 9:29:51 PM5/28/22
This brand. I think it came from the dollar tree. Good buy for the price.

https://postimg.cc/FdSb7qhc

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 9:59:30 PM5/28/22
Chef Karlin New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix
enriched parboiled long grain rice (rice, iron phosphate, niacin,
thiamin mononitrate, folic acid), maltodextrin (from corn), salt,
onion*, paprika, spices, red & green bell peppers*, yeast extract,
garlic*, natural flavor. *dried

Coulda bin worse.

--
André Malraux
<https://cdn.britannica.com/20/109120-050-C8214147/Andre-Malraux.jpg>

dsi1

May 28, 2022, 10:18:49 PM5/28/22
Breakfast this morning was a Mexican-style chorizo with eggs and cheese sandwich. It was intense and great!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AVmCEKssPu2MENw18

Michael Trew

May 28, 2022, 11:37:40 PM5/28/22
That does look good. I can't say I've ever bought or eaten chorizo
before, but with how often I see it mentioned here, I'm going to have to
look for it. Nifty looking plate also, looks English.

dsi1

May 29, 2022, 12:24:56 AM5/29/22
It's a copy of a turn of the century Brit copy of a Chinese pattern. As far as Mexican chorizo goes, they vary drastically from brand to brand. It'll take you a while to sort it out.

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 9:10:25 AM5/29/22
There are different types of chorizo. Some Mexican chorizo cooks up
like greasy sludge; if you go the cheap route that's likely what you'll get.

Jill

Bryan Simmons

May 29, 2022, 9:27:33 AM5/29/22
I bet it wasn't real Mexican chorizo, which is made
from salivary glands, and often also includes lymph
nodes.

--Bryan

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 10:55:09 AM5/29/22
On 5/28/2022 9:24 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I made up a quick and easy meal, with a box of this "New Orleans"
> Jambalaya.  I had it in my cabinet for ages.  Turns out, it was just
> seasoning and rice.  As recommended, I added meat, but I used sliced up
> Kielbasa.  I also added a drained can of black beans.  I don't know if
> black beans are "jambalaya authentic", but it was a good addition
> none-the-less.

Jambalaya is a spiced rice dish. Quite common is seafood jambalaya.
Sounds like you made spiced beans & rice which was improved by sliced
sausage. Kielbasa works. :)

> Yesterday was homemade potatoes au gratin.  Not quite a complete meal,
> but a meal none-the-less!

Nothing on the side? No salad, no vegetable? My mother made potatoes
gratin sometimes with diced ham or sliced sausage to make it a main dish
meal but she did serve some sort of veggie on the side.

Jill

Michael Trew

May 29, 2022, 11:42:29 AM5/29/22
I would have put ham in it, but my friend is staying over from Wisconsin
for a month to help me finish the house flip project. He's a
vegetarian, and I try to accommodate. He had left over potatoes, while
Sophia and I had the Jambalaya/mix thing. It was quite good, BTW. I'm
looking forward to finishing it tonight.

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 11:46:57 AM5/29/22
There is nothing wrong with plain potatoes au gratin or scalloped
potatoes which don't contain meat. I was commenting on the not quite
complete meal. When I was growing up the addition of some sort of meat
made it the "main dish". That's all I meant.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

May 29, 2022, 12:21:41 PM5/29/22
I probably add more cheese than is customary, but au gratin potatoes are
a main dish for me. Broccoli on the side, of course.

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 12:40:04 PM5/29/22
I'd go with just the potatoes and a vegetable as the side these days.
Merely commenting on how my mom turned it into the main dish by adding
meat to the potoatoes. She did the same sort of thing with baked
macaroni & cheese. She'd add meat to it to stretch the main dish.
Veggie served on the side.

Jill

GM

May 29, 2022, 1:10:11 PM5/29/22
There you go with the " dumb cunt " remarks again...

Michael prepared his meal with absolutely *no* reference to when you were "growing up" - and a goal you've obviously *not* achieved in any case, lol...

--
GM

bruce bowser

May 29, 2022, 1:54:38 PM5/29/22
I bet that putting smoked but not fully-cooked pork or beef over sliced potatoes to bake the rest-of-the-way is good.

André Malraux

May 29, 2022, 3:43:40 PM5/29/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 11:46:44 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
The need for meat is old skool thinking. It's very boomerish.

André Malraux

May 29, 2022, 3:47:10 PM5/29/22
Of course?

Cindy Hamilton

May 29, 2022, 4:16:51 PM5/29/22
My mother never added meat to Kraft mac and cheese, and she considered
it a main dish. I'm sure she made scratch mac and cheese at least once,
but she was usually too tired when she came home from work to bother
with more than Kraft.

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 4:41:14 PM5/29/22
Differences. :) My mother made a white sauce and melted a lot of cubed
Velveeta cheese in it, sometimes stirring in diced ham or sliced smoked
sausage. Topped with breadcrumbs and baked in a casserole dish until
bubbly and browned and slightly crisp on top. Green veggie on the side.

Jill

Sheldon Martin

May 29, 2022, 6:25:40 PM5/29/22
Tonight was home ground burgers and Bushs baked beans... plain, no
buns... fast, and good.

Dave Smith

May 29, 2022, 6:39:14 PM5/29/22
We will be eating in a few minutes. There is a spatchcocked chicken
smeared with piri piri sauce and grilled on the BBQ, roasted potatoes
and steamed fresh local asparagus.

Michael Trew

May 29, 2022, 9:52:18 PM5/29/22
On 5/29/2022 12:39, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/29/2022 12:21 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I probably add more cheese than is customary, but au gratin potatoes are
>> a main dish for me. Broccoli on the side, of course.

For a large pyrex dish, with a dozen potatoes or so, I made a roux by
eyeballing the flour/butter/milk, and after thickening it up, cutting up
a block of cheddar cheese... maybe a cup? Two cups? Whatever the
little rectangles are sold as (not the big rectangles).

> I'd go with just the potatoes and a vegetable as the side these days.
> Merely commenting on how my mom turned it into the main dish by adding
> meat to the potoatoes. She did the same sort of thing with baked
> macaroni & cheese. She'd add meat to it to stretch the main dish. Veggie
> served on the side.
>
> Jill

I'd rather have some kind of addition of meat as well, but that doesn't
work for a vegetarian.

Cindy Hamilton

May 30, 2022, 6:01:12 AM5/30/22
On 2022-05-30, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> On 5/29/2022 12:39, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/29/2022 12:21 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> I probably add more cheese than is customary, but au gratin potatoes are
>>> a main dish for me. Broccoli on the side, of course.
>
> For a large pyrex dish, with a dozen potatoes or so, I made a roux by
> eyeballing the flour/butter/milk, and after thickening it up, cutting up
> a block of cheddar cheese... maybe a cup? Two cups? Whatever the
> little rectangles are sold as (not the big rectangles).

Here's the recipe I use:

<https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/old-fashioned-scalloped-potatoes-10270>

(Look quickly, after a minute or so they want you to create an account
to view the recipe. I copied it years ago, before they pushed
membership.)

I don't use the bread crumbs, and I probably double the cheese. Kraft
sharp cheddar in the 8-ounce blocks.

I also never make a full recipe. I've gone as little as 1 potato.

>> I'd go with just the potatoes and a vegetable as the side these days.
>> Merely commenting on how my mom turned it into the main dish by adding
>> meat to the potoatoes. She did the same sort of thing with baked
>> macaroni & cheese. She'd add meat to it to stretch the main dish. Veggie
>> served on the side.
>>
>> Jill
>
> I'd rather have some kind of addition of meat as well, but that doesn't
> work for a vegetarian.

I've never thought meat was necessary to a meal. Cheese is a fine
protein.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Gary

May 30, 2022, 10:13:38 AM5/30/22
You have a hole in your menu.

Sheldon Martin

May 30, 2022, 10:44:20 AM5/30/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 21:52:11 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 5/29/2022 12:39, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/29/2022 12:21 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> I probably add more cheese than is customary, but au gratin potatoes are
>>> a main dish for me. Broccoli on the side, of course.
>
>For a large pyrex dish, with a dozen potatoes or so,

A dozen potatoes or so can easily be a 5 LB bag. How many you
feeding?

>I made a roux by
>eyeballing the flour/butter/milk, and after thickening it up, cutting up
>a block of cheddar cheese... maybe a cup? Two cups? Whatever the
>little rectangles are sold as (not the big rectangles).
>
>> I'd go with just the potatoes and a vegetable as the side these days.
>> Merely commenting on how my mom turned it into the main dish by adding
>> meat to the potoatoes. She did the same sort of thing with baked
>> macaroni & cheese. She'd add meat to it to stretch the main dish. Veggie
>> served on the side.
>>
>> Jill
>
>I'd rather have some kind of addition of meat as well, but that doesn't
>work for a vegetarian.

For a meat I'd use diced SPAM. I often do au gratin with macaroni,
works well with Velveeta and Spam... for Ukelele style add canned
pineapple.

Michael Trew

May 31, 2022, 12:24:50 AM5/31/22
On 5/30/2022 6:01, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-05-30, Michael Trew<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>> For a large pyrex dish, with a dozen potatoes or so, I made a roux by
>> eyeballing the flour/butter/milk, and after thickening it up, cutting up
>> a block of cheddar cheese... maybe a cup? Two cups? Whatever the
>> little rectangles are sold as (not the big rectangles).
>
> Here's the recipe I use:
>
> <https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/old-fashioned-scalloped-potatoes-10270>
>
> (Look quickly, after a minute or so they want you to create an account
> to view the recipe. I copied it years ago, before they pushed
> membership.)
>
> I don't use the bread crumbs, and I probably double the cheese. Kraft
> sharp cheddar in the 8-ounce blocks.

Thanks, I have a trick for those kind of sites. Before it fully loads,
I just hit the "red X" and stop it. The picture was only half loaded,
but that sufficed. Also, some sites like NYT that force membership to
read (pay wall) will still render and not prompt you if loaded in
Internet Explorer... that's all I use IE for now.

Michael Trew

May 31, 2022, 12:30:34 AM5/31/22
On 5/30/2022 10:44, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2022 21:52:11 -0400, Michael Trew
> <michae...@att.net> wrote:

>> For a large pyrex dish, with a dozen potatoes or so,
>
> A dozen potatoes or so can easily be a 5 LB bag. How many you
> feeding?

Many of the potatoes were small. I used about maybe a third of a 10 lb
bag, perhaps a hair under. Fed three people, with enough left over for
a meal the next day. We didn't eat anything with it, just the potatoes.

>> I'd rather have some kind of addition of meat as well, but that doesn't
>> work for a vegetarian.
>
> For a meat I'd use diced SPAM. I often do au gratin with macaroni,
> works well with Velveeta and Spam... for Ukelele style add canned
> pineapple.

Diced Spam would have been fine. I have a can of Spam, a can of Vienna
Sausages, a can of pink salmon, and a few cans tuna in the pantry at any
given time.

dsi1

May 31, 2022, 3:20:26 AM5/31/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 3:24:48 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> I made up a quick and easy meal, with a box of this "New Orleans"
> Jambalaya. I had it in my cabinet for ages. Turns out, it was just
> seasoning and rice. As recommended, I added meat, but I used sliced up
> Kielbasa. I also added a drained can of black beans. I don't know if
> black beans are "jambalaya authentic", but it was a good addition
> none-the-less.
>
> Yesterday was homemade potatoes au gratin. Not quite a complete meal,
> but a meal none-the-less!

I cooked up some frozen beef patties and made hamburgers. I added some cheese and onions. The cheese was American and since I recently found out that some American cheese have a high or non-existent melting point, I used a couple of different slices on the burgers. The Lucerne American Slices did not melt when laid on top of the burgers in the pan. The Kraft Singles did melt. My guess is it's because the Lucerne cheese uses more food starch and water as an extender in their product. And so, it has come to this. God help us.

Cindy Hamilton

May 31, 2022, 4:33:35 AM5/31/22
There's no Internet Explorer on my PC. But thanks.

There's so much content on the Internet, if I find a site that doesn't
behave well for me, I just go someplace else.

--
Cindy Hamilton