2/27 comic strip FoxTrot - who NEEDS to spend that much on food?

Lenona

Mar 9, 2022, 8:04:56 AM3/9/22
I mean, if your gross income is $50,000 - or even $25,000 - I can't imagine NEEDING to spend that percentage (as stated by cartoonist Bill Amend) on food. You'll see what I mean.

https://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2022/02/27

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.comics.strips/c/v-Y-YOhBYq0
(short thread)

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 9, 2022, 9:11:40 AM3/9/22
I read some comic strips but I take them for what they are, comic
strips. Humor, satire, a laugh or two. I think some of the commenters
take themselves too seriously. Amend probably just grabbed numbers to
fill in the blanks, not serious research on food budgets.

Do they also think Andy Capp actually falls in the canal every night?

GM

Mar 9, 2022, 9:15:19 AM3/9/22
No, but "Bruce" does - her wooden shoes allow her to float and thus "survive"...

--
GM

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 9, 2022, 11:09:31 AM3/9/22
At the moment, our food expenditures are about 40% of our after-tax
household income. But we're kind of an edge case; I've retired and
we're getting by on my husband's SSDI and our cash savings. I'm
reluctant to draw my own SSI until I've reached 66.5 years of age.

In any event, the cartoon was an algebra story problem. When have those
ever been realistic? Of course, if you didn't get as far as algebra in
your education, I can see why you'd be confused.

--
Cindy Hamilton

GM

Mar 9, 2022, 11:33:54 AM3/9/22
Well, I got a "D" in algebra, and that was with *much* effort - math is not my forte...

BTW, I have a new work role - assisting clients for SSDI certification. First thing I have to do is take this
training (below); will be an interesting "learning curve" this is all new to me, may seek your
assistance ;-)

https://soarworks.samhsa.gov/course/ssissdi-outreach-access-and-recovery-soar-online-training

"About the SOAR Online Course: Adult Curriculum

The SOAR Online Course trains case managers to assist individuals who are experiencing
or at risk of homelessness and have a serious mental illness, medical impairment, and/or
a co-occurring substance use disorder to apply for the Social Security Administration’s
(SSA) disability programs: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security
Disability Insurance (SSDI)."

</>

Bryan Simmons

Mar 9, 2022, 12:22:59 PM3/9/22
On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 10:33:54 AM UTC-6, GM wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On 2022-03-09, Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I mean, if your gross income is $50,000 - or even $25,000 - I
> > > can't imagine NEEDING to spend that percentage (as stated by
> > > cartoonist Bill Amend) on food. You'll see what I mean.
> > >
> > > https://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2022/02/27
> > >
> > > https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.comics.strips/c/v-Y-YOhBYq0
> > > (short thread)
> > At the moment, our food expenditures are about 40% of our after-tax
> > household income. But we're kind of an edge case; I've retired and
> > we're getting by on my husband's SSDI and our cash savings. I'm
> > reluctant to draw my own SSI until I've reached 66.5 years of age.
> >
> > In any event, the cartoon was an algebra story problem. When have those
> > ever been realistic? Of course, if you didn't get as far as algebra in
> > your education, I can see why you'd be confused.
> Well, I got a "D" in algebra, and that was with *much* effort - math is not my forte...

56/168 + 21/168 + 24/168 + 28/168 + 42/168 = 171/168 = 57/56
Somehow I think that Mary Lou might already be doing some
dancing on the side, which could make for some awkward
parent-teacher conferences, and I bet she doesn't call
herself Mary Lou at her dancing job.

--Bryan

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 9, 2022, 12:49:19 PM3/9/22
On 3/9/2022 11:33 AM, GM wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On 2022-03-09, Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I mean, if your gross income is $50,000 - or even $25,000 - I
>>> can't imagine NEEDING to spend that percentage (as stated by
>>> cartoonist Bill Amend) on food. You'll see what I mean.
>>>
>>> https://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2022/02/27
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.comics.strips/c/v-Y-YOhBYq0
>>> (short thread)
>> At the moment, our food expenditures are about 40% of our after-tax
>> household income. But we're kind of an edge case; I've retired and
>> we're getting by on my husband's SSDI and our cash savings. I'm
>> reluctant to draw my own SSI until I've reached 66.5 years of age.
>>
>> In any event, the cartoon was an algebra story problem. When have those
>> ever been realistic? Of course, if you didn't get as far as algebra in
>> your education, I can see why you'd be confused.
>

> Well, I got a "D" in algebra, and that was with *much* effort - math is not my forte...

You got a D???? I should have had you tutor me. I got a couple of Fs
and finally a 70 at the end to move me along. I think I was out the day
they told you what "X" was. OTOH, my marks in geometry for each marking
period was 98.

dsi1

Mar 9, 2022, 12:53:01 PM3/9/22
This family spends a shit-load of money on food. Well, I don't, the rest of this clan does. I'm a frugal guy. For my wife's dinner for work last night, I made a rice ball filled with canned tuna.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BxpZsuqhE2FTebM97

dsi1

Mar 9, 2022, 12:56:10 PM3/9/22
Thanks for doing that work. I was wondering if it all added up correctly but was not interested enough to figure it out. I am gratified that at least one cartoonist has some math skills.

S Viemeister

Mar 9, 2022, 1:02:18 PM3/9/22
On 09/03/2022 17:49, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> You got a D????  I should have had you tutor me.  I got a couple of Fs
> and finally a 70 at the end to move me along.  I think I was out the day
> they told you what "X" was.  OTOH, my marks in geometry for each marking
> period was 98.

I've never had much need for algebra, but geometry is often very useful.

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 9, 2022, 1:39:53 PM3/9/22
I use algebra from time to time. I've even been known to indulge in a
little analytic geometry.

--
Cindy Hamilton

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 9, 2022, 2:10:06 PM3/9/22
On 3/9/2022 1:39 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I use algebra from time to time. I've even been known to indulge in a
> little analytic geometry.

How nice for you.

GM

Mar 9, 2022, 2:38:27 PM3/9/22
A corny saying 4 U:

"I had a hen who could count her own eggs...

She was a mathemachicken..."

🐓 🐣 <<<<=== chicken and hatching egg

🍙 <<<<==== TEENY rice ball for David

🚀 <<<<<==== GM's mind - iike a fast and powerful ROCKET...!!!

;-P

--
GM

Lenona

Mar 9, 2022, 7:31:58 PM3/9/22

> In any event, the cartoon was an algebra story problem. When have those
> ever been realistic? Of course, if you didn't get as far as algebra in
> your education, I can see why you'd be confused.

> Cindy Hamilton

I took calculus, thank you.

And if you knew anything about Bill Amend, you'd know that he's a LOT more realistic when it comes to science than, say, Gary Larson. (Amend has a degree in physics.)

But even Larson understood that realism often makes a joke a good deal funnier. Take this classic cartoon of his:

http://wwwscriblets-bleets.blogspot.com/2013/08/pull-out-betty.html

Hint: The realism is not about the artery. In case you don't know.

Anyway, I just thought that since Amend IS such a stickler for realism in his (frequent) math and science jokes, he EASILY could have taken the steps that I suggested in that short thread - namely, he could have mentioned food without specifying its cost, and focused on the combined cost of taxes and student loan payments instead.

I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?

The only explanation I can think of for his uncharacteristic carelessness is that Amend somehow knows a lot of teachers who only get paid $16,000 per year.

Lenona.

Bryan Simmons

Mar 9, 2022, 7:57:27 PM3/9/22
A lot of Americans spend over $7 a day on food,
and I doubt that there are any teachers in the USA
who have Masters degrees "who only get paid
$16,000 per year." Amend's math was sloppy,
even though his only job is spitting out a few
(often boring) comic strips a week.

> Lenona.

--Bryan

GM

Mar 9, 2022, 8:22:21 PM3/9/22
More of Lenona's bullshit... she's using c. 1965 figures...

Most likely, teachers with Master's degrees get closer to six figures, or much more...

My February Amazon Fresh/Whole Foods purchases (mostly vittles, but also household and
personal health and "beauty" (lol!) items) totaled $787.00. Noticed I stocked up on
a lot of pantry items, so this month looks to run lower. Also spent I'd guess about
$100.00 at Target, that was some food and wine...

Resto/delivery runs me about $300/month at least...

Many years ago when I went to bars, I'd squander large amounts on likker, don't do
that anymore, lol... so that is my excuse for some "perspective"...

--
GM

Lenona

Mar 9, 2022, 9:59:30 PM3/9/22

> A lot of Americans spend over $7 a day on food,

But...WHY? What excuse is there for that, if you're going to complain that you can't make ends meet?

> and I doubt that there are any teachers in the USA
> who have Masters degrees "who only get paid
> $16,000 per year." Amend's math was sloppy,
>
> --Bryan

Again, WHY was he so sloppy? I can't remember this happening before. Hope he's not getting prematurely senile.

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 10, 2022, 4:39:13 AM3/10/22
On 2022-03-10, Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
> more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?

No excuse necessary. Are you the Food Cost Police? Before the recent
bout of inflation started, I was spending more than $400/month at the
grocery store (including non-food items like TP and toothpaste).

I don't seek to minimize my food costs; I seek to maximize my food
enjoyment. Fresh vegetables and meat make up the bulk of our diet.
Cheap carbs aren't used as filler.

--
Cindy Hamilton

bruce bowser

Mar 10, 2022, 4:56:57 AM3/10/22
On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 11:09:31 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-03-09, Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I mean, if your gross income is $50,000 - or even $25,000 - I
> > can't imagine NEEDING to spend that percentage (as stated by
> > cartoonist Bill Amend) on food. You'll see what I mean.
> >
> > https://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2022/02/27
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.comics.strips/c/v-Y-YOhBYq0
> > (short thread)
> At the moment, our food expenditures are about 40% of our after-tax
> household income. But we're kind of an edge case; I've retired and
> we're getting by on my husband's SSDI and our cash savings. I'm
> reluctant to draw my own SSI until I've reached 66.5 years of age.
>
> In any event, the cartoon was an algebra story problem. When have those
> ever been realistic?

I think that "realism" actually is the point of political cartoons you sometimes see in the papers.

Gary

Mar 10, 2022, 5:13:10 AM3/10/22
Lenona wrote:

>> In any event, the cartoon was an algebra story problem. When have those
>> ever been realistic? Of course, if you didn't get as far as algebra in
>> your education, I can see why you'd be confused.
>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>

> I took calculus, thank you.
>
> And if you knew anything about Bill Amend, you'd know that he's a LOT more realistic when it comes to science than, say, Gary Larson. (Amend has a degree in physics.)
>
> But even Larson understood that realism often makes a joke a good deal funnier. Take this classic cartoon of his:
>
> http://wwwscriblets-bleets.blogspot.com/2013/08/pull-out-betty.html

Larson was a cartoon comedy genius. Here's my favorite food related one:
https://imgur.com/gallery/4DqHp
> I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
>
> The only explanation I can think of for his uncharacteristic carelessness is that Amend somehow knows a lot of teachers who only get paid $16,000 per year

$16,000 per year? Where the hell do they live?

Here's a list of salaries *AND* benefits in my area:
https://www.vbschools.com/employment/current_employees/teaching/salary_and_benefits

Brazza

Mar 10, 2022, 5:28:15 AM3/10/22
Of course. One doesn't want to become overweight.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 10, 2022, 7:17:28 AM3/10/22
On 3/10/2022 4:39 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I don't seek to minimize my food costs; I seek to maximize my food
> enjoyment. Fresh vegetables and meat make up the bulk of our diet.
> Cheap carbs aren't used as filler.

Begs the question if you always eat so healthy how
do you remain obese?

Gary

Mar 10, 2022, 9:19:48 AM3/10/22
On 3/10/2022 4:39 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-03-10, Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
>> more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
>
> No excuse necessary. Are you the Food Cost Police? Before the recent
> bout of inflation started, I was spending more than $400/month at the
> grocery store (including non-food items like TP and toothpaste).

$400 a month isn't bad for the two of you.

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 10, 2022, 10:29:44 AM3/10/22
In the past 12 months I spent $1947.96 at Publix, or $37.70 a week.
That also includes some wine, so make it $30 a week.

I also go to BJ's every couple of months and drop $100 to $200 but that
also includes cleaning supplies, paper goods and such.

Toss in the occasional chicken meal from the food truck, I'd say about
$200 a month

Oh, BTW Gary, that meal kit I liked so much was on sale today so I got
another. It will be dinner tomorrow night.

Gary

Mar 10, 2022, 11:04:55 AM3/10/22
On 3/9/2022 8:22 PM, GM wrote:
> My February Amazon Fresh/Whole Foods purchases (mostly vittles, but also household and
> personal health and "beauty" (lol!) items) totaled $787.00. Noticed I stocked up on
> a lot of pantry items, so this month looks to run lower. Also spent I'd guess about
> $100.00 at Target, that was some food and wine...
>
> Resto/delivery runs me about $300/month at least...

That's quite a bit of money for just you, Greg. (?)
What you just stated above totals $1187
I just paid my March rent/utilities bill 10 days ago and it
was $1209. Only $22 more than your food bill.

Base rent: $1072
Utilities bill covers:
- Gas for heat, stove and hot water
- Water/sewer
- Storm water
- Trash
- Admin fee

My additional electric bill was only $29.33 :)

My monthly food bill is no more than maybe $300. I eat well and that
includes my daily Covid-B vaccine.

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 10, 2022, 11:34:58 AM3/10/22
More than $400. In the last month (post-inflation, of course) I spent
$1057.32 at various grocery stores and the bakery. And a modest $38.94
at the sushi bar.
--
Cindy Hamilton

GM

Mar 10, 2022, 11:38:19 AM3/10/22
Tracking March so far, looks like I'll be spending far less. The freezer and pantry are fully stocked, from
now I'll just need some fresh salad/veg, yogurt, bananas...

--
GM

Bryan Simmons

Mar 10, 2022, 12:05:47 PM3/10/22
On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 10:34:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-03-10, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

I used to be just a few hairs shy of 5'7", but
some settling of contents have occurred, so
I'm about 5'6". Not counting beer, we
probably spend about $400 for the two of us,
and that's with me being a strategic shopper.

> >> No excuse necessary. Are you the Food Cost Police? Before the recent
> >> bout of inflation started, I was spending more than $400/month at the
> >> grocery store (including non-food items like TP and toothpaste).
> >
> > $400 a month isn't bad for the two of you.
> More than $400. In the last month (post-inflation, of course) I spent
> $1057.32 at various grocery stores and the bakery. And a modest $38.94
> at the sushi bar.

The food cost on the sushi is likely less than
10% of that. If I liked sushi, I'd make it myself.
It wouldn't be pretty.

> --
> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 10, 2022, 3:12:41 PM3/10/22
On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 6:31:58 PM UTC-6, Lenona wrote:

> I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
> more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
>
> Lenona.

That's got to be the stupidest statement you've ever made here. Really??
With the cost of food today you honestly believe a person can eat 7 days
a week, maybe just two meals, for $50?????

You may have taken calculus but you were not gifted with common sense.

Jeßus

Mar 10, 2022, 3:23:13 PM3/10/22
LOL, I missed this one. AUD or USD $200 a month would be challenging
for most people. Even for us, and we produce a lot of our own food.

Lenona

Mar 10, 2022, 11:03:14 PM3/10/22
On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 4:39:13 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In other words, you AREN'T someone who has trouble making ends meet - or if you do, you don't complain about the high cost of living. Congratulations.

I was clearly referring to those who live above their means - and who then have the gall to whine, like children, as if someone should rescue them from their actions. (Even children need to learn that actions have consequences!)

And I admit that if I were a lot richer, I'd be eating sushi at least once a week. What is money for, after all?

In my case, I live for what Desiderius Erasmus said. See here. https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/desiderius_erasmus_124392

But...what most people need to realize is that short-term luxuries are soon forgotten, and even long-term luxuries, like a backyard swimming pool, can get boring pretty fast, since it's there every day. So at the very least, it's worthwhile to forfeit the former and to think twice before purchasing any of the latter type of luxuries.

I remember Amy Dacyczyn appearing on Phil Donahue and saying that people would ask her "I don't understand it...I pay the same bargain prices for groceries that you do - why is my monthly bill so much higher?" She would respond: "how many rice-and-beans meals did you eat last month?" (She and her family DID eat meat; they just used it as a condiment, not as a main ingredient.)

Lenona

Mar 10, 2022, 11:43:04 PM3/10/22
On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 3:12:41 PM UTC-5, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 6:31:58 PM UTC-6, Lenona wrote:
> >
> > I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
> > more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
> >
> > Lenona.
> >
> That's got to be the stupidest statement you've ever made here. Really??
> With the cost of food today you honestly believe a person can eat 7 days
> a week, maybe just two meals, for $50?????

You clearly didn't read what I said in the short thread that I linked to.

Quote:

All I know is, I have never spent even $200 a month on food, and if I ever did, I would have had to have eaten at least two restaurant meals that month.

(Back in the mid-1990s, I know I was paying only $50 a month - not counting junk food or takeout, and I seldom bought either. These days, since I don't do takeout, it comes to about $100 - including junk food.)

And yes, I eat meat - and I even have a spoilage problem at times.

> You may have taken calculus but you were not gifted with common sense.

I'd say I have RARE sense. Namely, enough sense to follow Amy Dacyczyn's advice on grocery shopping. Here in the Boston area, all one really needs to do is find the closest Market Basket (aka DeMoula's), and once I'm there, I buy only those items that are on sale or on the damaged-goods racks. There's also the deli, where they sell the ends of cheeses or cold cuts for about $2 a pound - sometimes less. (Amy recommends making a price list - and, she says, one slowly develops a sense for what the sale prices are and how often they happen. So after a while, I didn't need MY price list any more.) Only a fool would go to Star or to a Stop & Shop for anything other than what's on sale there.

If I'm out of fresh produce entirely, I head for the open-air market - Haymarket. (The main problem there is that you have to cook or freeze ASAP whatever you buy, or it rots.) Typically, when they're closing down, you can buy three pounds or more of almost any fruit/vegetable for a dollar. See? That's enough for a whole day - for one dollar! The other problem is resisting the tourist trap nearby - Quincy Market, which is indoors and has bars and many tempting small eateries - Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Chinese, New England-style...not to mention the ice cream, candy and cookies. But I still can't buy Rocky Road candy anywhere.

Anyway, for the sake of my health, I have to keep reminding myself that very few types of junk food go out of production, and therefore, it is NOT deprivation when you have only one sugary dessert/snack per week. Dunkin' Donuts will be around until the end of time.

And again, how many restaurant or take-out meals does anyone remember after a month or so? Aside from the company one was eating with? (In my case, there's a hot food bar where they serve salmon in cream sauce, time and again, so I DO feel the "need" to partake of that - one could easily dream of it; it's that good. But, according to Psychology Today, it's actually pretty rare that one "eats" in a dream - you just think you're going to, and then the dream jumps to "having just eaten.")

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 11, 2022, 12:21:20 AM3/11/22
On 3/10/2022 11:42 PM, Lenona wrote:

> I'd say I have RARE sense. Namely, enough sense to follow Amy Dacyczyn's advice on grocery shopping. Here in the Boston area, all one really needs to do is find the closest Market Basket (aka DeMoula's), and once I'm there, I buy only those items that are on sale or on the damaged-goods racks. There's also the deli, where they sell the ends of cheeses or cold cuts for about $2 a pound - sometimes less. (Amy recommends making a price list - and, she says, one slowly develops a sense for what the sale prices are and how often they happen. So after a while, I didn't need MY price list any more.) Only a fool would go to Star or to a Stop & Shop for anything other than what's on sale there.

If you have to live like that it is good advice. Stuff I use on a
regular basis I buy on sale and I know roughly the cycles so stock up then.

If I want something though, and it is not on sale, I'm going to buy it
and enjoy it. If I want the imported ham for my lunch, I get it sliced
to order, not putz round with the end just because it is cheaper. If
Wonder Bread is on sale I'll reach past it to get Pepperidge Farms that
is much better.

I also went to Stop & Shop two miles away rather than burn a gallon of
gas to go to Market Basket.

Michael Trew

Mar 11, 2022, 12:26:06 AM3/11/22
On 3/10/2022 15:12, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 6:31:58 PM UTC-6, Lenona wrote:
>>
>> I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
>> more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
>>
>> Lenona.
>>
> That's got to be the stupidest statement you've ever made here. Really??
> With the cost of food today you honestly believe a person can eat 7 days
> a week, maybe just two meals, for $50?????

They could, if they tried harder. I could eat even cheaper than that if
I wanted to, but cheapness comes to a point. Even though being cheap is
a "staple" of mine, there's got to be a point where wanting to have
half-way decent meals comes into play. I could only eat a can of beans,
an apple, and a several slices from a $1 loaf of bread per day, but I
don't hate myself that much, heh.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 12:52:05 AM3/11/22
On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 10:43:04 PM UTC-6, Lenona wrote:

> On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 3:12:41 PM UTC-5, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 6:31:58 PM UTC-6, Lenona wrote:
> > >
> > > I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
> > > more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
> > >
> > > Lenona.
> > >
> > That's got to be the stupidest statement you've ever made here. Really??
> > With the cost of food today you honestly believe a person can eat 7 days
> > a week, maybe just two meals, for $50?????
> >
> You clearly didn't read what I said in the short thread that I linked to.
>
> Quote:
>
> All I know is, I have never spent even $200 a month on food, and if I ever did,
> I would have had to have eaten at least two restaurant meals that month.

Blah, blah, blah. I read and understood exactly what you said and it's still the
stupidest statement you've ever made. You must be the cheapest ass in
Boston.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 12:55:11 AM3/11/22
Yes, of course anyone could eat that cheaply and they could also hit up
a few fast food restaurants a couple times a week and claim to be homeless
and beg for a free meal. But there comes a time when you've got to think
about nutrition and the cheap garbage you're consuming.

Lenona

Mar 11, 2022, 1:29:00 AM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 12:21:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/10/2022 11:42 PM, Lenona wrote:
>

> > I'd say I have RARE sense. Namely, enough sense to follow Amy Dacyczyn's advice on grocery shopping. Here in the Boston area, all one really needs to do is find the closest Market Basket (aka DeMoula's), and once I'm there, I buy only those items that are on sale or on the damaged-goods racks. There's also the deli, where they sell the ends of cheeses or cold cuts for about $2 a pound - sometimes less. (Amy recommends making a price list - and, she says, one slowly develops a sense for what the sale prices are and how often they happen. So after a while, I didn't need MY price list any more.) Only a fool would go to Star or to a Stop & Shop for anything other than what's on sale there.
> >
> If you have to live like that it is good advice. Stuff I use on a
> regular basis I buy on sale and I know roughly the cycles so stock up then.
>
> If I want something though, and it is not on sale, I'm going to buy it
> and enjoy it. If I want the imported ham for my lunch, I get it sliced
> to order, not putz round with the end just because it is cheaper.

And, as I said, if I want takeout salmon with cream sauce, you can bet I'll buy it. Just not more than once a month or so. (Everything at the hot bar is $10 a pound, after all - though why anyone pays that for fries or mac and cheese, I can't imagine.)

> If
> Wonder Bread is on sale I'll reach past it to get Pepperidge Farms that
> is much better.

Gag. What makes you think I'd deliberately get ANYTHING like Wonder Bread - even if it's free?

The last time I had it was maybe in the early 1970s - if then.

And what I typically get is Jessica's Brick Oven Tuscan Pane Whole Wheat Bread (or Marbled Rye or Ancient Grain). All one has to do is shop early, when the day-old bread racks are more likely to be full. I can get a loaf for $2 or even less. (Of course, the regular price is much higher.) One can also buy several loaves and freeze them if necessary. What's really important to me is...the lack of HFCS or other sugars!

> I also went to Stop & Shop two miles away rather than burn a gallon of
> gas to go to Market Basket.

Fair enough. But in fact, Amy Dacyczyn wrote an article about how her husband shopped (she did the same when she shopped). Namely, she wrote that it's always smart to combine errands as much as possible, to save on both time and gas. So, if he or she were already far away from home for some other reason, it only made sense to check out whatever bargains might be available in the stores. "NEVER make a special trip."

GM

Mar 11, 2022, 1:29:59 AM3/11/22
When younger I was not averse to cheaping out on vittles. Now that I'm older and
can afford it, I buy only decent - quality stuff, and I don't worry about the price... i
still am not "extravagant", and I have always abhorred waste... but I'm not denying
myself a twenty buck steak or some nice seafood...

"I'm worth it", lol...

--
GM

Lenona

Mar 11, 2022, 1:56:20 AM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 12:55:11 AM UTC-5, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> Yes, of course anyone could eat that cheaply and they could also hit up
> a few fast food restaurants a couple times a week and claim to be homeless
> and beg for a free meal. But there comes a time when you've got to think
> about nutrition and the cheap garbage you're consuming.

Being frugal is not automatically about eating "garbage." (Nor is it about buying ugly things at thrift stores or yard sales when there are plenty of nice items - if you're just patient enough to find them. I have a huge, beautiful Erté design on wood from a 1922 Harper's Bazaar cover - hanging on my wall. It was from a yard sale. Plus Matisse, Renoir, and Picasso reproductions - I got two for free.)

It's about accepting the hard fact that once you're an adult, you have to start eating less than when your body was still growing - and you STILL can't eat the junk food you craved as a teen. (If you craved it in the first place.) In middle age, I find I can eat whatever I want - but mostly only in tiny amounts. In other words, unless you're able and willing to buy a new wardrobe every year, you have to eat about half of what you did in your 20s - whether it's good for you or not.

But I have sympathy for those who live in food deserts and who can't afford to get to stores that actually sell fresh produce. (Assuming they would actually eat it - plenty of adults, like children, think of eating vegetables as torture.)

Lenona

Mar 11, 2022, 2:12:04 AM3/11/22
On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 11:43:04 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:

> I'd say I have RARE sense. Namely, enough sense to follow Amy Dacyczyn's advice on grocery shopping. Here in the Boston area, all one really needs to do is find the closest Market Basket (aka DeMoula's), and once I'm there, I buy only those items that are on sale or on the damaged-goods racks. There's also the deli, where they sell the ends of cheeses or cold cuts for about $2 a pound - sometimes less.

Forgot to say that in the half-hour before closing time, if you're lucky, the rotisserie chicken price will drop by half or so (when they cook too many). But if that doesn't happen, one can often get a COLD two-pound rotisserie chicken for...$1. Assuming the bones make up half the weight (I could be wrong), that's still only $1 a pound. Way better than any cold cut price.

GM

Mar 11, 2022, 2:15:08 AM3/11/22
You *completely* missed Joan's point - but that is "par" for your "course"...

And your "food desert" ramble is simply bunk...

--
GM

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 11, 2022, 4:57:40 AM3/11/22
On 2022-03-11, Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 3:12:41 PM UTC-5, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>> On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 6:31:58 PM UTC-6, Lenona wrote:
>> >
>> > I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
>> > more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
>> >
>> > Lenona.
>> >
>> That's got to be the stupidest statement you've ever made here. Really??
>> With the cost of food today you honestly believe a person can eat 7 days
>> a week, maybe just two meals, for $50?????
>
> You clearly didn't read what I said in the short thread that I linked to.

What we're objecting to is not the idea of frugality. It's your use of
the word "excuse". I don't need an excuse to spend $20 on a liter of
extra-virgin olive oil. I don't need an excuse to spend $7 on a loaf of
bread.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 11, 2022, 5:01:34 AM3/11/22
On 2022-03-11, Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 4:39:13 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-03-10, Lenona wrote:
>> >
>> > I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
>> > more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
>> No excuse necessary. Are you the Food Cost Police? Before the recent
>> bout of inflation started, I was spending more than $400/month at the
>> grocery store (including non-food items like TP and toothpaste).
>>
>> I don't seek to minimize my food costs; I seek to maximize my food
>> enjoyment. Fresh vegetables and meat make up the bulk of our diet.
>> Cheap carbs aren't used as filler.
>>
>> --
>> Cindy Hamilton
>

> In other words, you AREN'T someone who has trouble making ends meet -
> or if you do, you don't complain about the high cost of living.
> Congratulations.
>
> I was clearly referring to those who live above their means - and who then
> have the gall to whine, like children, as if someone should rescue them from
> their actions. (Even children need to learn that actions have consequences!)

You're on rec.food.cooking, dipshit. Not misc.consumers.frugal-living

In any event, apart from Kuthe, do you think anyone here lives above
their means? Do you even read other people's posts?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Mar 11, 2022, 8:03:26 AM3/11/22
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> If Wonder Bread is on sale I'll reach past it
> to get Pepperidge Farms that is much better.

Sometime try reaching past the Pepperidge Farms and
grab a similar loaf of Arnold bread. I like that brand
much better. Cost and varieties are about the same.

Janet

Mar 11, 2022, 8:21:01 AM3/11/22
In article <3f98c51f-64f3-4faf...@googlegroups.com>,
leno...@yahoo.com says...

> On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 4:39:13 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On 2022-03-10, Lenona wrote:
> > >
> > > I mean, does ANYONE know of anyone who has a really good excuse to eat
> > > more than $200 per month? Aside from someone who's seven feet tall?
> > No excuse necessary. Are you the Food Cost Police? Before the recent
> > bout of inflation started, I was spending more than $400/month at the
> > grocery store (including non-food items like TP and toothpaste).
> >
> > I don't seek to minimize my food costs; I seek to maximize my food
> > enjoyment. Fresh vegetables and meat make up the bulk of our diet.
> > Cheap carbs aren't used as filler.
> >
> > --
> > Cindy Hamilton
>

> In other words, you AREN'T someone who has trouble making ends meet - or if you do, you don't complain about the high cost of living. Congratulations.
>
> I was clearly referring to those who live above their means -

No, you were not.

Not only are you a self-serving mentally-impaired liar, you're so thick
and you don't even know what audience you're trolling.

Janet UK

Gary

Mar 11, 2022, 8:49:30 AM3/11/22
On 3/11/2022 1:28 AM, Lenona wrote:

> On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 12:21:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> If
>> Wonder Bread is on sale I'll reach past it to get Pepperidge Farms that
>> is much better.
>

> Gag. What makes you think I'd deliberately get ANYTHING like Wonder Bread - even if it's free?

Heck, I'll gladly take free Wonder Bread. Healthy or not, plain white
bread is still the best for some uses. I always keep some on hand. I
just buy the $1.00 per loaf cheap stuff.

I also enjoy the better breads for other uses.

You folks can eat just as "healthy" as you want but you're still gonna
die. Maybe even in a car crash tomorrow afternoon.

"Eat anything you want to, just don't overdo it."

Janet

Mar 11, 2022, 8:49:53 AM3/11/22
In article <5f6991ef-aced-4a3c...@googlegroups.com>,
leno...@yahoo.com says...

> And, as I said, if I want takeout salmon with cream sauce, you can bet I'll buy it.

There's the difference between us.

To me (living in Scotland) fresh quality raw salmon, and cream, are not
luxury items. They are easily available affordable local ingredients
which I can cook perfectly myself, in just a few minutes.

That's why it would NEVER EVEN OCCUR to me to order "salmon in cream
sauce" as either takeaway,or in a quality restaurant.

Janet UK

Lenona

Mar 11, 2022, 9:09:20 AM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 5:01:34 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> You're on rec.food.cooking, dipshit. Not misc.consumers.frugal-living

As if that matters, given the news on inflation, every day. Most people are going to be looking for ways to save. (I just heard that rents are skyrocketing.)

Even those who don't eat takeout or desserts still eat three times a day.

> In any event, apart from Kuthe, do you think anyone here lives above
> their means?

I wouldn't know, since I don't know the name of everyone who has ever posted here - and I certainly don't keep up with the longer or irrelevant threads. (At any rate, comic strips are frequently good barometers of the behavior of average people, which is why i started off with one.)

I DO know that the average American isn't frugal. According to one source, the average American had well over $6,000 in credit card debt in early 2020. I find that shocking.

And, from consumerfinance.gov:

"From 2018 to 2020, the CFPB estimates that Americans paid roughly $120 billion per year in credit card interest and fees. That works out to about $1,000 per year for every American household. During the pandemic, credit card debt started to decline as many households reduced their borrowing and paid down more."

So, that would suggest people are taking thrift more seriously.

Gary

Mar 11, 2022, 9:12:11 AM3/11/22
Lenona wrote:

> plenty of adults, like children, think of eating vegetables as torture.

Maybe the children were on to something. ;)

Give me Big Macs or give me death.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Feed me only vegetables and I'll confess to anything to stop it.

Lenona

Mar 11, 2022, 9:15:43 AM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 8:49:53 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:,
> lenona says...
> > And, as I said, if I want takeout salmon with cream sauce, you can bet I'll buy it.
> >
> There's the difference between us.
>
> To me (living in Scotland) fresh quality raw salmon, and cream, are not
> luxury items. They are easily available affordable local ingredients
> which I can cook perfectly myself, in just a few minutes.
>
> That's why it would NEVER EVEN OCCUR to me to order "salmon in cream
> sauce" as either takeaway,or in a quality restaurant.
>

> Janet UK

I bow to your frugality.

Raw fish is delicate, so I've always been a bit nervous about cooking it. (Also, I'm not sure what the price is, here.) Maybe I should be a bit more adventurous.

At any rate, given the season, corned beef is on sale, and I love almost anything made with it, so it's time to check out recipes. Here we go...

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 11, 2022, 9:48:47 AM3/11/22
On 2022-03-11, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
> On 3/11/2022 1:28 AM, Lenona wrote:
>
>> On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 12:21:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> If
>>> Wonder Bread is on sale I'll reach past it to get Pepperidge Farms that
>>> is much better.
>>

>> Gag. What makes you think I'd deliberately get ANYTHING like Wonder
>> Bread - even if it's free?
>
> Heck, I'll gladly take free Wonder Bread. Healthy or not, plain white
> bread is still the best for some uses. I always keep some on hand. I
> just buy the $1.00 per loaf cheap stuff.

I buy it whenever I stuff a turkey. It deserves being shoved up a
turkey's butt. Technically, I buy the store brand of white bread,
but the difference is negligible.

Otherwise, it's always the best bread I can find. Price no object.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 11, 2022, 9:52:16 AM3/11/22
On 2022-03-11, Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I DO know that the average American isn't frugal. According to one source,
> the average American had well over $6,000 in credit card debt in early
> 2020. I find that shocking.

Let's take a poll right here, to see if your obsession is relevant to
anybody here.

I have zero consumer debt. No mortgage. No personal loans. No secured
loans.

Anybody here have any debt?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Janet

Mar 11, 2022, 9:52:57 AM3/11/22
In article <d79f921c-69de-4653...@googlegroups.com>,
leno...@yahoo.com says...

> On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 5:01:34 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > You're on rec.food.cooking, dipshit. Not misc.consumers.frugal-living
>

> As if that matters, given the news on inflation, every day.
Most people are going to be looking for ways to save. (I just heard that
rents are skyrocketing.)

Please don't worry about rocketing rents. AFAIK only one regular rfc
poster pays rent, the rest of us own our homes.

Only one rfc poster struggles financially (not the one who rents)
the rest of us are very comfortable thankyou.

HTH.

Janet UK

Janet

Mar 11, 2022, 10:02:57 AM3/11/22
In article <rmJWJ.86329$Y1A7....@fx43.iad>, hami...@devnull.com
says...
Nope. Not one penny.

Janet UK

Mike Duffy

Mar 11, 2022, 10:06:57 AM3/11/22
On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 06:09:13 -0800, Lenona wrote:

> [...] average American had well over $6,000 in credit
> card debt in early 2020. I find that shocking.
>
> And, from consumerfinance.gov:
>
> [...] During the pandemic, credit card debt started to
> decline as many households reduced their borrowing

> So, that would suggest people are taking thrift more seriously.

That is surely a part of it. But for many, it was simply the effect of
having restaurants closed and airlines suspending trips to vacation
destinations. These two expenses are both frivolous extravagances which
should be avoided by people who already carry debt but lack self-control.
Having circumstance cut off the temptation is NOT the same as resisting
the temptation. (I.e. taking thrift more seriously.)

Some people do not take money 'seriously' until they cannot afford
something they truly need, as opposed to merely want. Sure, they can see
their credit rating in seconds online, and get text memos automatically
every time money goes in or our of their bank account.

But remember the story about the lady who had millions all her life and
did not realize she was broke until the day came when the bank machine
refused to dish out a wad of cash.

Lenona

Mar 11, 2022, 10:23:00 AM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 10:06:57 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:

> But remember the story about the lady who had millions all her life and
> did not realize she was broke until the day came when the bank machine
> refused to dish out a wad of cash.

Sounds fascinating. Where can I read the news story, please?

It reminds me of what the self-spoiled Bosie (played by Jude Law) says in the 1997 movie "Wilde" (when he's whining about Oscar not giving him enough presents, I think):

"No gentleman ever has the slightest idea of what his bank balance is!"

(As in, it was BENEATH an upper-class man to take notice of such things.)

Dave Smith

Mar 11, 2022, 10:36:00 AM3/11/22
When I went out to BC for my friend's celebration of life I was
impressed by the enormous amount of smoked salmon. Then I realized that
they can go out and catch their one salmon and smoke it themselves.
What would have cost me a couple hundred bucks was probably cost them a
couple bucks for gas, salt and sugar.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 10:39:16 AM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 12:29:59 AM UTC-6, GM wrote:

> When younger I was not averse to cheaping out on vittles. Now that I'm older and
> can afford it, I buy only decent - quality stuff, and I don't worry about the price... i
> still am not "extravagant", and I have always abhorred waste... but I'm not denying
> myself a twenty buck steak or some nice seafood...
>
> "I'm worth it", lol...
>
> --
> GM

Nailed it!!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 10:46:52 AM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 1:15:08 AM UTC-6, GM wrote:

> Lenona wrote:
>
> > On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 12:55:11 AM UTC-5, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, of course anyone could eat that cheaply and they could also hit up
> > > a few fast food restaurants a couple times a week and claim to be homeless
> > > and beg for a free meal. But there comes a time when you've got to think
> > > about nutrition and the cheap garbage you're consuming.

Silly statement about what she's got hanging in her tent deleted.

> > It's about accepting the hard fact that once you're an adult, you have to start eating
> > less than when your body was still growing - and you STILL can't eat the junk food
> > you craved as a teen. (If you craved it in the first place.) In middle age, I find I can eat
> > whatever I want - but mostly only in tiny amounts. In other words, unless you're able
> > and willing to buy a new wardrobe every year, you have to eat about half of what you
> > did in your 20s - whether it's good for you or not.
> >
> You *completely* missed Joan's point - but that is "par" for your "course"...
>
> And your "food desert" ramble is simply bunk...
>
> --
> GM

Nailed it again, Greg!!

She gets wordy to hammer home a silly post.

GM

Mar 11, 2022, 10:49:25 AM3/11/22
Nope, my finances are in good order, and so I'm able to budget a decent amount
for good food...

And this "Lenona" is on the wrong group, as you mentioned above...

--
GM

Gary

Mar 11, 2022, 10:56:20 AM3/11/22
I don't. My one credit card is payed in full each month so doesn't cost
me to use it.

Not a fair comparison though. I think it's true that the average
american is very well into debt. I was once long ago (credit cards).
It's surprisingly easy to fall into that trap (and not spending it
frivolously). Took me several years to pay it off but I learned my lesson.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 11:00:58 AM3/11/22
I paid $27.93 this morning to clear a charge I had made on my American
Express card, the ONLY debt I had. No mortgage, no personal loans, no
car loan, nada, zip, zilch.

Credit cards companies call us debt-free card holders 'dead beats' because
they're making no money from us on interest charged to our cards. I'll accept
that title.

:o)

GM

Mar 11, 2022, 11:02:55 AM3/11/22
I've come out ahead during the pandemic, e.g. virtually no commuting
to work/transportation costs for two years, much less spent on laundry/dry cleaning/clothes since I'm
working from home, fewer "impulse" purchases at grocery stores since I order most all online,
plus the stimulus payments... and no "Hey, gang, let's go out for a drink and pizza after
work!" expenses...

Later today I'm getting outta the house to go to a nice local pub for some casual grub and drinks,
I expect to spend a hundred bucks, I do this every couple of weeks or so, I can afford it... and I
order Chinese resto delivery every weekend, that is usually at least fifty bucks...

[ although I just found a great and cheaper Chinese place, I'll save money by ordering from this
mom and pop hole - in - the - wall joint, rather from the place that has the fancy - schmancy dining
room in their high - rent location... AND they have egg foo yung, YAY...!!! ]

I don't have to "stress" about doing this, I'm fine money - wise...

Many here will tell you virtually the same...

--
GM

GM

Mar 11, 2022, 11:07:47 AM3/11/22
The "food desert" thing is a crock. If there were a need in those "under - served" nabes for
"healthy" food choices, the market would step right up to fill it if there were money to be made...

But there is not, so they have the corner stores that sell chips and pop and junk...

There is a *reason* there are no full - service grocery stores in poor US inner - city areas - and
it's not about "equity", it's totally "can this business make a profit?"...

--
GM

GM

Mar 11, 2022, 11:09:04 AM3/11/22
Eggsactly...!!!

:o)

--
GM

jmcquown

Mar 11, 2022, 11:24:14 AM3/11/22
I once had a credit card company (I think it was with Chase Bank) close
my account because I paid the balance in full any time I used it. They
don't like that.

Jill

S Viemeister

Mar 11, 2022, 11:31:41 AM3/11/22
No consumer debt, mortgage, or loans of any kind here.

Mike Duffy

Mar 11, 2022, 11:54:18 AM3/11/22
On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 07:22:53 -0800, Lenona wrote:

> On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 10:06:57 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
>>
>> But remember the story about the lady who had millions all her life and
>> did not realize she was broke until the day came when the bank machine
>> refused to dish out a wad of cash.
>
> Sounds fascinating. Where can I read the news story, please?

It was quite a while ago, and despite that a cursory search does provide
entertainment worthy of composing such a web search, I have been unable
to divine the exact combination of search parameters necessary to
retrieve the story I am referring to.

> It reminds me of what the self-spoiled Bosie (played by Jude Law) says
> in the 1997 movie "Wilde" (when he's whining about Oscar not giving him
> enough presents, I think):
>
> "No gentleman ever has the slightest idea of what his bank balance is!"
>
> (As in, it was BENEATH an upper-class man to take notice of such
> things.)

That was pretty much her story. Also, all her bill payments had been set
up for auto-pay, including a firm engaged to pay her taxes, &c.

jmcquown

Mar 11, 2022, 12:38:08 PM3/11/22
Not mortgage, no loans. My car (new when I bought it) is 20 years old
and I paid cash for it. I'm not one of those people who feels compelled
to buy a new car every couple of years.

As far as food goes, I have a freezer and I know how to use it. :) Of
course I look for bargains when I shop. Most of the people I know do.
We aren't neophytes.

Leona mentioned in another reply something else I'm not going to do.
That's hang around a store waiting for them to put out marked down bread
on sale racks at closing time. Nor vegetables at a market that are
likely to rot within a day if I don't cook them ASAP when I get them
home. But hey, only $1! That's not what I call being frugal. That's
just downright cheap. :(

Jill

Dave Smith

Mar 11, 2022, 1:03:05 PM3/11/22
I have no debt. I paid off my mortgage more than 25 years ago. I have no
car loans. I could have paid cash for my cars but I the interest rate
was so low that I thought it better to leave my money in the bank and
play with their money. I have a number of monthly bills that get charged
to my credit cards and there are online purchases, but the balance is
paid off every month.

Dave Smith

Mar 11, 2022, 1:06:44 PM3/11/22
On 2022-03-11 11:24 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> I once had a credit card company (I think it was with Chase Bank) close
> my account because I paid the balance in full any time I used it.  They
> don't like that.

One might think that they should be happy just collecting that
outrageous percentage on each purchase.

Brazza

Mar 11, 2022, 1:07:04 PM3/11/22
I wouldn't like a dinner or lunch without vegetables. Just not only
vegetables, sanctuary much.

Brazza

Mar 11, 2022, 1:11:34 PM3/11/22
No.

jmcquown

Mar 11, 2022, 1:13:02 PM3/11/22
That's the thing. They didn't get to collect interest because I didn't
carry a balance so they closed my account.

Jill

jmcquown

Mar 11, 2022, 1:15:25 PM3/11/22
I don't charge monthly household bills (water, electricity, etc.) to
credit cards. Those payments come from my bank account. So does my car
insurance.

Jill

Dave Smith

Mar 11, 2022, 1:35:06 PM3/11/22
They don't need interest to make money from you to profit from your use
of the card. They take a percentage of each transaction. On the average,
the charge the vendor about 3.5% Sure, there are some costs involved,
but they are making something on.

S Viemeister

Mar 11, 2022, 2:49:40 PM3/11/22
Chase didn't close mine, but because I didn't use anywhere near my
insanely high credit limit, and always paid in full, they cut my limit
in half. Still a respectable number, but I was miffed.

Hank Rogers

Mar 11, 2022, 2:50:10 PM3/11/22
jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/11/2022 1:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Let's take a poll right here, to see if your obsession is
>>> relevant to
>>> anybody here.
>>>
>>> I have zero consumer debt.  No mortgage.  No personal loans.Â
>>> No secured
>>> loans.
>>>
>>> Anybody here have any debt?
>>>

>> I have no debt. I paid off my mortgage more than 25 years ago. I
>> have no car loans. I could have paid cash for my cars but I the
>> interest rate was so low that I thought it better to leave my
>> money in the bank and play with their money. I have a number of
>> monthly bills that get charged to my credit cards and there are
>> online purchases, but the balance is paid off every month.
>
> I don't charge monthly household bills (water, electricity, etc.)
> to credit cards.  Those payments come from my bank account.  So
> does my car insurance.
>
> Jill

Does your credit card not have a "cashback" for a percent or two?

S Viemeister

Mar 11, 2022, 2:54:53 PM3/11/22
On 11/03/2022 18:15, jmcquown wrote:

> I don't charge monthly household bills (water, electricity, etc.) to
> credit cards.  Those payments come from my bank account.  So does my car
> insurance.

My cellphone, landline, and internet bills are charged to my card, which
gives me 2% back (sometimes more!). I then pay off the card before
incurring interest.

Dave Smith

Mar 11, 2022, 2:58:19 PM3/11/22
I have to wonder why they would cut your limit in half for not
maximizing your debt load. Just because you aren't using it now doesn't
mean you might not in the future. I just checked and noted that my main
CC available credit is $20,800. My monthly balance is rarely more than
$500, but you never know. I have a two Visa accounts, one of which was
pushed on me when I borrowed a bit of money for a car. I think I used
it once. Apparently it has been cancelled. No loss.

Mike Duffy

Mar 11, 2022, 3:21:05 PM3/11/22
On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:58:11 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have to wonder why they would cut your limit
> in half for not maximizing your debt load.

Because recent history showed TOO LOW an amount of debt paid off ok.

> I just checked and noted that my main
> CC available credit is $20,800.

They will usually increase it periodically with no intervention required
on your part. But there seems to have been some blowback on this policy
from consumer groups.

CTC phones me every year to ask if I want to increase my limit and I
always refuse (=$K). I explain that the main reason I keep the card is to
have just one CC# for all Internet & phone transactions because my
profile can be set up to send me a text whenever the card is used without
the chip NIP. In other words, I get a text if a purchase is made by phone
or online using the 3 digit number printed on the back.

The second reason I keep the card is to get more CTC money even than with
cash purchases if you use it in the CTC store.

It is MasterCard, so it works at Costco as well.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 3:52:53 PM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 1:50:10 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I don't charge monthly household bills (water, electricity, etc.)
> > to credit cards. Those payments come from my bank account. So
> > does my car insurance.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> Does your credit card not have a "cashback" for a percent or two?

I've got a no-fee American Express credit card and I got an offer from them
just this week. Upgrade to another card they were offering and it's ONLY
$695 per year to carry it around with some sort of cash reward from them.

Ummmmmm, NO!

Brazza

Mar 11, 2022, 3:59:44 PM3/11/22
You have to carry it for them AND you have to pay them?

dsi1

Mar 11, 2022, 4:16:43 PM3/11/22
If you have a Platinum American Express card, you're also required to carry the latest iPhone. You do have thirty days to get one from the time Apple announces the new model. That's more than fair, I'd say. You don't want to know the requirements for a Plutonium AE card.
I didn't take American Express charges in my business because the bastards wanted me to pay them for the honor of processing their charges. All cards will charge businesses a processing fee. AE charges businesses for being able say that they take AE.
OTOH, it's a great way to give their branding exclusivity and keep out the riff-raff. By "riff-raff", I mean small time businesses like mine.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 4:24:43 PM3/11/22
The new one they offered, yes. Thus that e-mail offer was deleted with
a swift click.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 4:29:40 PM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 3:16:43 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> If you have a Platinum American Express card, you're also required to carry the latest iPhone.

Wellllll, nope. I'm not jumping through any hoops for them. No Platinum
Express and no iPhone.

> AE charges businesses for being able say that they take AE.

I'd say this is true as my optometrist said they would charge me a fee if
I used my American Express. Amazing how fast I was able to whip out
that debit card!!

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 11, 2022, 4:46:52 PM3/11/22
Had the same thing. Never charged more than a few hundred so the limit
was cut. It does lessen their exposure to fraud so makes sense

Dave Smith

Mar 11, 2022, 4:53:43 PM3/11/22
On 2022-03-11 3:20 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:58:11 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I have to wonder why they would cut your limit
>> in half for not maximizing your debt load.
>
> Because recent history showed TOO LOW an amount of debt paid off ok.

?? So making no payments automatically flags you as not paying off
enough of the nonexistent debt?

> The second reason I keep the card is to get more CTC money even than with
> cash purchases if you use it in the CTC store.
>
> It is MasterCard, so it works at Costco as well.

Does it still work at Costco? I very recently read about Costco
switching from Capital One to CIBC?

Dave Smith

Mar 11, 2022, 5:07:08 PM3/11/22
Well it is curious. Mine was low for a long time and I remember asking
it to be raised because we were going to Europe for three weeks and I
expected to use it a lot for hotels and meals. IIRC, it was raised to
about $10,000. When I checked this morning I was surprised to see it is
now $20,800. The only time I suspected fraud was when I had a message
about unusual activity on my account. I called Visa to check and there
was nothing on my Visa. Then I asked about my other Visa card, but that
was with a different company so..... another 45 minutes on hold until I
got through. As it turned out, the only scam was the one trying to get
my Visa information.

A few years ago my son was in Peru. He had some cash but had a bank card
and a credit card. He had called his credit card company to let them
know he was travelling in South America. That was a wasted call. He
lost his bank card in an ATM in Cuzco. The machine ate it. When he
tried to use his credit card it was cancelled because of suspicious
activity. The last time it had been used was at home and a couple days
later it was being used in Peru. I had to wire him some money and it
had to be in US funds, so between the exchange rate and the cost of the
wire there was a lot of extra cost.

Brazza

Mar 11, 2022, 5:39:57 PM3/11/22
On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:24:37 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 2:59:44 PM UTC-6, Brazza wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:52:47 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I've got a no-fee American Express credit card and I got an offer from them
>> >just this week. Upgrade to another card they were offering and it's ONLY
>> >$695 per year to carry it around with some sort of cash reward from them.
>> >
>> >Ummmmmm, NO!
>> >
>> You have to carry it for them AND you have to pay them?
>>
>The new one they offered, yes. Thus that e-mail offer was deleted with
>a swift click.

I only use a credit card for one or two international payments that
don't accept PayPal and as a backup payment method for if I ever
forget to top up our current account.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 2022, 5:51:58 PM3/11/22
On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 4:39:57 PM UTC-6, Brazza wrote:

> I only use a credit card for one or two international payments that
> don't accept PayPal and as a backup payment method for if I ever
> forget to top up our current account.

I got this AmEx because I do use a Canadian drugstore for one of my
prescriptions. They accepted personal checks, Discover, or American
Express only; no debit cards. I would give them my checking account
information, check number, then I'd destroy that check.

Mike Duffy

Mar 11, 2022, 8:24:01 PM3/11/22
On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:53:34 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> Does it still work at Costco? I very recently read about Costco
> switching from Capital One to CIBC?

You mean as the bank 'underwriter' for the Costco Mastercard. But they
still accept payment with other MasterCards. But they will not take VISA.

I have never actually tried it though; I'm just going by the insignia on
the gas pumps & cashier kiosk. I always use my Debit card except at CTC.

Michael Trew

Mar 11, 2022, 8:55:38 PM3/11/22
On 3/11/2022 9:48, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-03-11, Gary<g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>>> Gag. What makes you think I'd deliberately get ANYTHING like Wonder
>>> Bread - even if it's free?
>>
>> Heck, I'll gladly take free Wonder Bread. Healthy or not, plain white
>> bread is still the best for some uses. I always keep some on hand. I
>> just buy the $1.00 per loaf cheap stuff.
>
> I buy it whenever I stuff a turkey. It deserves being shoved up a
> turkey's butt. Technically, I buy the store brand of white bread,
> but the difference is negligible.
>
> Otherwise, it's always the best bread I can find. Price no object.

My local grocer bakes Italian bread daily. The loves are smaller than
the $1 king size loaf, and they aren't pre-sliced, not to mention it
costs $1.69. On top of it all, of course, it doesn't keep as long...
but that bread tastes far better, so I buy it. I would draw the line at
near $5/loaf bread for sure.

Michael Trew

Mar 11, 2022, 8:57:32 PM3/11/22
On 3/11/2022 4:57, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-03-11, Lenona<leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> That's got to be the stupidest statement you've ever made here. Really??
>>> With the cost of food today you honestly believe a person can eat 7 days
>>> a week, maybe just two meals, for $50?????
>>
>> You clearly didn't read what I said in the short thread that I linked to.
>
> What we're objecting to is not the idea of frugality. It's your use of
> the word "excuse". I don't need an excuse to spend $20 on a liter of
> extra-virgin olive oil. I don't need an excuse to spend $7 on a loaf of
> bread.

I think that Leona's point here is missed... people living on a tight
budget, complaining that they can't afford this or that, should tighten
their belt and not "make excuses" to buy frivolousness products. I
don't think that she ever suggested that a well-off person should shop
more frugally, unless they choose to.

Michael Trew

Mar 11, 2022, 9:01:19 PM3/11/22
Many people don't think of what they charge the vendor. People get mad
at the antique mall that we have a $10 minimum charge on credit or debit
cards. It doesn't matter which, the card company charges a flat 3% fee
on all card transactions. Debit does *not* equal cash in this scenario.
Also, some customers get upset that sales and discounts are paid in
cash and check only. Again, that's because of the fee that card
companies charge the vendor.

Michael Trew

Mar 11, 2022, 9:10:54 PM3/11/22
On 3/11/2022 1:29, GM wrote:
> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

>>> They could, if they tried harder. I could eat even cheaper than that if
>>> I wanted to, but cheapness comes to a point. Even though being cheap is
>>> a "staple" of mine, there's got to be a point where wanting to have
>>> half-way decent meals comes into play. I could only eat a can of beans,
>>> an apple, and a several slices from a $1 loaf of bread per day, but I
>>> don't hate myself that much, heh.
>>>
>> Yes, of course anyone could eat that cheaply and they could also hit up
>> a few fast food restaurants a couple times a week and claim to be homeless
>> and beg for a free meal. But there comes a time when you've got to think
>> about nutrition and the cheap garbage you're consuming.
>
> When younger I was not averse to cheaping out on vittles. Now that I'm older and
> can afford it, I buy only decent - quality stuff, and I don't worry about the price... i
> still am not "extravagant", and I have always abhorred waste... but I'm not denying
> myself a twenty buck steak or some nice seafood...

That's a good point. Most posters here are well-off, retired, settled
in, etc. I'd bet that the majority of the posters here, when they were
my age, were either struggling, or doing OK... but not nearly as well
off as they are today, 35+ years later. I do OK for what I have, and
I'm not struggling as I live today, but I surely do not have the cash to
spend on a $100 dinner; that's a whole shopping trip for me, easily.
I'd much rather "cheap out on vittles" and not risk tight finances later.

GM

Mar 12, 2022, 12:51:37 AM3/12/22
I am still extremely frugal about some things, e.g. saving veg scraps to later
throw in a soup or stir - fry, and re - washing and using Ziplocs multiple times...

--
GM

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 12, 2022, 5:14:33 AM3/12/22
On 2022-03-12, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> That's a good point. Most posters here are well-off, retired, settled
> in, etc. I'd bet that the majority of the posters here, when they were
> my age, were either struggling, or doing OK... but not nearly as well
> off as they are today, 35+ years later. I do OK for what I have, and
> I'm not struggling as I live today, but I surely do not have the cash to
> spend on a $100 dinner; that's a whole shopping trip for me, easily.
> I'd much rather "cheap out on vittles" and not risk tight finances later.

$100 is nuthin'.

<https://ny.eater.com/2022/3/10/22968257/masa-price-hike-most-expensive-restaurant-sushi-bar-nyc-restaurants>

<https://wealthygorilla.com/most-expensive-restaurants/>

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 12, 2022, 5:19:39 AM3/12/22
On 2022-03-12, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
Her point isn't missed. It's her tone, and the fact that she doesn't
actually participate here, she just drives by to spam us with links to
clickbait web sites or to tell us we need an "excuse" for our actions.

Who here on RFC complains or makes excuses?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bryan Simmons

Mar 12, 2022, 7:09:57 AM3/12/22
You are in a very different financial situation
than Michael, and even though I could afford
to, I never spend $100 on a meal. Of course,
people's priorities are different. We've been
known to spend over $100 a night on hotel
rooms.

> --
> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan