"HOT DAGOS"

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Sheldon

unread,
Aug 5, 2005, 4:10:52 PM8/5/05
to
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,hot_dagos,FF.html

HOT DAGOS

2 lb. ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
2 lb. ground beef
1 lg. can tomato juice (46 oz.)
1 qt. tomatoes (chopped in blender)
2 cans (6 oz. each) tomato paste
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sweet basil
2 cloves minced garlic
Parmesan cheese

Mix ground Italian sausage and ground beef together. Make into patties
and place into large baking pan. Mix tomato juice, tomatoes, paste,
salt, pepper, sweet basil and garlic together and pour over patties.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until patties are cooked
through. Serve on Vienna bread and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and
mild banana peppers.
---

Sheldon

zxcvbob

unread,
Aug 5, 2005, 4:28:55 PM8/5/05
to
Someone's gonna wop you upside the head pretty soon. ;-)

Bob

Sheldon

unread,
Aug 5, 2005, 4:46:07 PM8/5/05
to

zxcvbob wrote:
> Someone's gonna wop you upside the head pretty soon. ;-)
>
> Bob

The weekend is nigh and this party is getting dullsville.

Sheldon

Melba's Jammin'

unread,
Aug 5, 2005, 5:45:40 PM8/5/05
to
In article <3li0geF...@individual.net>, zxcvbob
<zxc...@charter.net> wrote:

> Someone's gonna wop you upside the head pretty soon. ;-)
>
> Bob

But not before I "wop" you! Oy!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Damsel

unread,
Aug 5, 2005, 7:12:24 PM8/5/05
to
"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> said:

Thanks for the recipe. Crash loves hot dagos (that's really what they're
called here - no slur).

Carol

Damsel

unread,
Aug 5, 2005, 7:26:24 PM8/5/05
to
"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> said:

> The weekend is nigh and this party is getting dullsville.

Try the boiled ribs thang.

Carol

Dimitri

unread,
Aug 5, 2005, 7:43:00 PM8/5/05
to

"zxcvbob" <zxc...@charter.net> wrote in message
news:3li0geF...@individual.net...

> Someone's gonna wop you upside the head pretty soon. ;-)
>
> Bob

What? Next you're goint to tell him he can't cook a Guinea Fowl.

Ducking for cover.

Dimitri


Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Pan Ohco

unread,
Aug 6, 2005, 11:49:38 AM8/6/05
to

>Damsel <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in
>news:chs7f1tu06laqsr3u...@4ax.com:

>>> HOT DAGOS
>>>
>>> 2 lb. ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
>>> 2 lb. ground beef
>>> 1 lg. can tomato juice (46 oz.)
>>> 1 qt. tomatoes (chopped in blender)
>>> 2 cans (6 oz. each) tomato paste
>>> 2 tsp. salt
>>> 1/2 tsp. pepper
>>> 1 tsp. sweet basil
>>> 2 cloves minced garlic
>>> Parmesan cheese

>> Thanks for the recipe. Crash loves hot dagos (that's really what they're


>> called here - no slur).
>>
>> Carol
>>

A flattened meatball in pasta sauce?

And it's not a slur just like
Hot Polacks
Hot Kikes
Hot Niggers.

Pan Ohco

Damsel

unread,
Aug 6, 2005, 2:36:46 PM8/6/05
to
Pan Ohco <oh...@hotmail.com> said:

> A flattened meatball in pasta sauce?

Pretty much. But with mozzarella on it, and served on Italian bread.

> And it's not a slur just like
> Hot Polacks
> Hot Kikes
> Hot Niggers.

That's what those sandwiches are called around here. Not much I can do
about that.

Carol

Del Cecchi

unread,
Aug 7, 2005, 7:40:32 PM8/7/05
to

"Damsel" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
news:chs7f1tu06laqsr3u...@4ax.com...

They may be called that there but it still is a slur, along with wop. If
you wouldn't call Japanese Japs or Nips or call Hispanics Greasers or
Wetbacks, you shouldn't refer to Dagos or Wops or bohunks or krauts or
hunyocks or poloks.

Just because there aren't many of the Italian Persuasion over there is no
reason to use ethnic slurs. You either barb.

del cecchi


Sheldon

unread,
Aug 7, 2005, 7:49:39 PM8/7/05
to

Del Cecchi wrote:
> "Damsel" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> news:chs7f1tu06laqsr3u...@4ax.com...
> > "Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> said:
> >
> >> http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,hot_dagos,FF.html
> >>
> >> HOT DAGOS
> >>
> >
> > Thanks for the recipe. Crash loves hot dagos (that's really what
> > they're
> > called here - no slur).
>
> They may be called that there but it still is a slur, along with wop. If
> you wouldn't call Japanese Japs or Nips or call Hispanics Greasers or
> Wetbacks, you shouldn't refer to Dagos or Wops or bohunks or krauts or
> hunyocks or poloks.
>
> Just because there aren't many of the Italian Persuasion over there is no
> reason to use ethnic slurs. You either barb.
>
> del cecchi

Yeah, but... all WOPS are FILTHY-DIRTY... only saving grace over the
french is dagos have spines.

Sheldon

Damsel

unread,
Aug 7, 2005, 9:56:06 PM8/7/05
to
"Del Cecchi" <dcecchi...@att.net> said:

> They may be called that there but it still is a slur, along with wop. If
> you wouldn't call Japanese Japs or Nips or call Hispanics Greasers or
> Wetbacks, you shouldn't refer to Dagos or Wops or bohunks or krauts or
> hunyocks or poloks.

What should I ask for when I order them?? I'm very PC, but I'm just not
sure what to say when something is called by a name that includes a
questionable word.

Bohunk is perfectly fine. Except you forgot that all Bohunks are "Good
Bohunks." The two words go together.

> Just because there aren't many of the Italian Persuasion over there is no
> reason to use ethnic slurs. You either barb.

The area of St. Paul I used to live in was called Little Italy. Almost
everyone I worked with was Italian. No one seemed to object to the name of
the sandwiches.

Carol, a Good Bohunk

Goomba38

unread,
Aug 7, 2005, 11:51:57 PM8/7/05
to
Sheldon wrote:

> Yeah, but... all WOPS are FILTHY-DIRTY... only saving grace over the
> french is dagos have spines.
>
> Sheldon
>

Nowwwwwwwwwwww Shel.. don't make me hafta come over there and hurt ya.:)
Goomba, scrupulously clean :)

I-zheet M'drurz

unread,
Aug 8, 2005, 8:10:30 AM8/8/05
to
Del Cecchi said:

> They may be called that there but it still is a slur, along with

> wop. If you wouldn't call Japanese Japs ...

Silly goose! Everybody knows "Japs" are Jalapenos! (at least in
the restaurant where I work.)

It's a verbal shorthand thing, you either get the concept or you
don't...

"japs" = Jalapenos
"Fro" = French Onion Soup
"Del" - Delmonaco
"All Day" = All together. IE: what I needed 5 seconds ago plus
what I just called out
"Man Down!" - Something (object or person) that shouldn't be, is
on the floor
"In the weeds" - I'm up to my ears in checks over here, please
help or get the f**k off of my back.

Those last couple popped up on "Hell's Kitchen" from Ralph. The
guy has definately "been there".

--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse,
or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Message has been deleted

sf

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 1:19:54 AM8/10/05
to
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:36:44 -0500, sd wrote:

> In article <3lnkfeF...@individual.net>,


> "Del Cecchi" <dcecchi...@att.net> wrote:
>
> > Just because there aren't many of the Italian Persuasion over there is no
> > reason to use ethnic slurs. You either barb.
>

> I still can't bring myself to use the term because I grew up in an
> area where it was considered "fightin' words". But it _is_ an
> accepted local usage here in the upper Midwest.
>
Still? Wow! I just told someone a couple of days ago about hearing
Wop, Spic, Kike, Kraut, Dago, Frog as a kid and not hearing the terms
anymore. Now, it's more likely to be FOB: Fresh Off the Boat.

> Even in the
> neighborhood in which I live (in which Italians were by far the
> primary European settlers), the remaining Italians do not seem to be
> working to change the term. Seems there's more energy spent trying
> to change the names of school sports teams from Indian terms
> (Warriors, Braves, etc.).

-L.

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 3:16:55 AM8/10/05
to

Damsel wrote:
> "Del Cecchi" <dcecchi...@att.net> said:
>
> > They may be called that there but it still is a slur, along with wop. If
> > you wouldn't call Japanese Japs or Nips or call Hispanics Greasers or
> > Wetbacks, you shouldn't refer to Dagos or Wops or bohunks or krauts or
> > hunyocks or poloks.
>
> What should I ask for when I order them?? I'm very PC, but I'm just not
> sure what to say when something is called by a name that includes a
> questionable word.
>
> Bohunk is perfectly fine. Except you forgot that all Bohunks are "Good
> Bohunks." The two words go together.

Where I came from a "bohunk" was a handsome, beefy guy, usually one you
had your eye on. 'Cept we spelled it Beauhunk.

-L.

I-zheet M'drurz

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 7:43:00 AM8/10/05
to
sf said:

> Still? Wow! I just told someone a couple of days ago about
> hearing Wop, Spic, Kike, Kraut, Dago, Frog as a kid and not
> hearing the terms anymore.

They have been replaced by Towelhead, Sand Ni**er, Ahpoo, etc.

Nothing ever really changes, just the targets of our attention.

LewZephyr

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 2:30:02 PM8/10/05
to
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:19:54 -0700, I needed a babel fish to
understand sf <s...@gmail.net> :

>On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:36:44 -0500, sd wrote:
>
>> In article <3lnkfeF...@individual.net>,
>> "Del Cecchi" <dcecchi...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Just because there aren't many of the Italian Persuasion over there is no
>> > reason to use ethnic slurs. You either barb.
>>
>> I still can't bring myself to use the term because I grew up in an
>> area where it was considered "fightin' words". But it _is_ an
>> accepted local usage here in the upper Midwest.
>>
>Still? Wow! I just told someone a couple of days ago about hearing
>Wop, Spic, Kike, Kraut, Dago, Frog as a kid and not hearing the terms
>anymore. Now, it's more likely to be FOB: Fresh Off the Boat.
>

Well from Texas here, and you don't usually hear those terms down
here, due to the typically immigrant is from Mexico.. its usually the
term wetback or wets.
----------------------------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

sf

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 1:53:59 AM8/12/05
to
On 10 Aug 2005 00:16:55 -0700, -L. wrote:

> > > bohunks or hunyocks

Those are new to me! I found bohunk -

NOUN: Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person from
east-central Europe, especially a laborer.
ETYMOLOGY: Bo(hemian) + alteration of Hung(arian).

But, hunyock is obscure! Who does it refer to?


Damsel

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 6:48:35 AM8/12/05
to
sf <s...@gmail.net> said:

I've only heard the word, "Bohunk" used with pride. From everyone on
Dad's side of the family. :)

I'm a Good Bohunk *and* a Great Dane (Mom's side) plus 7 other things. In
other words, I'm your basic American mutt.

Carol

sf

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 7:38:32 PM8/12/05
to
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 05:48:35 -0500, Damsel wrote:

> sf <s...@gmail.net> said:
>
> > On 10 Aug 2005 00:16:55 -0700, -L. wrote:
> >
> > > > > bohunks or hunyocks
> >
> > Those are new to me! I found bohunk -
> >
> > NOUN: Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person from
> > east-central Europe, especially a laborer.
> > ETYMOLOGY: Bo(hemian) + alteration of Hung(arian).
> >
> > But, hunyock is obscure! Who does it refer to?
>
> I've only heard the word, "Bohunk" used with pride. From everyone on
> Dad's side of the family. :)
>

Sometimes PC is over done by people who aren't in the cultural loop.
Is there a big Hungarian community where your family is from?

Becca

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 8:15:31 PM8/12/05
to
sf wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2005 00:16:55 -0700, -L. wrote:
>
>> > > bohunks or hunyocks
>
> Those are new to me! I found bohunk -

My father was from Germany. He referred to his competitors as
"honyocks", and I have a feeling it wasn't anything positive. LOL

Becca

sf

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 8:33:43 PM8/12/05
to

Well, at least we know it's a business term. <w>

Damsel

unread,
Aug 13, 2005, 5:38:16 PM8/13/05
to
sf <s...@gmail.net> said:

No, but there are a lot of Bohemians in and around Pine City, Minnesota.
It's about an hour north of the Twin Cities. I'm a shirt-tail relative of
a lot of Pine City residents.

Carol

Del Cecchi

unread,
Aug 14, 2005, 9:10:38 PM8/14/05
to

"Damsel" <dam...@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
news:nvpsf1ddcorhfn5a1...@4ax.com...

Hunyock was a Hungarian. Go up in north central wisconsin, up on the
other side of Ladysmith. It is like little eastern europe up there. We
used to go visit my my uncle, my mom's brother, outside of Hawkins. It
wasn't very PC up there for sure. And it was a while back too. I
confess I don't know how to spell it either.

del


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages