Ground Beef HMMM

jmcquown

Mar 9, 2005, 3:16:29 PM3/9/05
I've got 2 lbs. of ground beef thawing. I really have a hankering for a
burger. I didn't have any burger rolls so I ran to the store to get some.
I was hoping for something other than Wonder-white rolls but that's all they
had. I briefly considered buying some thick-cut potato bread to toast and
maybe form one into a rather longish patty rather than a round one - but not
at that price for the bread.

I have one of those old burger presses from Tupperware so I can press and
freeze the remaining ground beef for future burgers. I've got cheese and
even bought chips! If I decide to do a solitary patty sans bread, I'll
still put some cheese on top and serve with a steamed (from frozen) veggie
such as broccoli, spinach or brussels sprouts. The temps are dropping; it's
raining here and acting like it might try to freeze tonight, so no grilling
today.

I have a method for a sort of spicy burger which I may opt for (sans bread).
Incorporate some minced onion, garlic, splash of Tabasco or other hot sauce,
soy or teriyaki sauce and ground ginger. Tasty. Works well with lean
ground turkey or ground chicken or a combo of beef, chicken, etc.

Or, since I already bought the rolls I could always make sloppy joes :)
Hmmm... only a few hours time will tell.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Dimitri

Mar 9, 2005, 4:09:59 PM3/9/05

"jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Got any ortega chilies?

Dimitri

ndo...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu

Mar 9, 2005, 4:53:00 PM3/9/05

I would probably eat one burger for this meal; make sloppy joes out of
one pound and eat half of it in the next 5 days or so, and freeze the
other half, and divide the 3/4 lb. balance into 3 quarter-pounder
burgers and pressed in freezer Press 'n Seal, to pull out one at a time
when I got hungry for a burger ;-)

Our bread aisle usually has those big, round "deli" type buns with
seeds on them...but I wish they would sell packages of 4 instead of 8,
or even half-loaves of bread.

Tip: When I bring ground beef home, I separate it into one-pound
portions, and then flatten each pound individually in a gallon-size
Ziploc freezer bag, spreading it out inside the bag to fill all the
corners. Once frozen (flat) they take up very little space, and they
thaw lickety-split in this thin mode.

N.

jmcquown

Mar 9, 2005, 6:32:51 PM3/9/05
Dimitri wrote:
> "jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> I've got 2 lbs. of ground beef thawing. I really have a hankering
>> for a burger.
(snip)

>> Or, since I already bought the rolls I could always make sloppy joes
>> :) Hmmm... only a few hours time will tell.
>
> Got any ortega chilies?
>
> Dimitri

I have an can of chopped green chillies, if that's what you mean ;)

Jill

jmcquown

Mar 9, 2005, 6:39:04 PM3/9/05
ndo...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I've got 2 lbs. of ground beef thawing.
>> Jill
>
> I would probably eat one burger for this meal; make sloppy joes out of
> one pound and eat half of it in the next 5 days or so, and freeze the
> other half, and divide the 3/4 lb. balance into 3 quarter-pounder
> burgers and pressed in freezer Press 'n Seal, to pull out one at a
> time when I got hungry for a burger ;-)

I'm thinking I'll do a burger tonight and sloppy joes tomorrow. Not sure
about re-freezing the remainder until it's cooked up as joes. I normally
divvy it up but I bought it with meatloaf in mind and now don't feel like
making mashed potatoes & gravy (a requirement, IMHO).

Jill

Serendipity

Mar 9, 2005, 6:38:59 PM3/9/05
jmcquown wrote:

> I've got 2 lbs. of ground beef thawing. I really have a hankering for a
> burger. I didn't have any burger rolls so I ran to the store to get some.
> I was hoping for something other than Wonder-white rolls but that's all they
> had. I briefly considered buying some thick-cut potato bread to toast and
> maybe form one into a rather longish patty rather than a round one - but not
> at that price for the bread.

Favourite burger bun here is a white bread including the egg. I toss
everything in the breadmaker for dough making sure the cooking time in
the oven coincides with the burgers. Fresh buns and homemade paddies
(DH makes the absolute best), what more could you ask fot :)

> I have one of those old burger presses from Tupperware so I can press and
> freeze the remaining ground beef for future burgers. I've got cheese and
> even bought chips! If I decide to do a solitary patty sans bread, I'll
> still put some cheese on top and serve with a steamed (from frozen) veggie
> such as broccoli, spinach or brussels sprouts. The temps are dropping; it's
> raining here and acting like it might try to freeze tonight, so no grilling
> today.

We grill year round whether it is blizzard or sweating the balls off
weather. Temps dropping would have no effect if we had decided on
grilling that nigh.

Chris Neidecker

Mar 9, 2005, 9:35:26 PM3/9/05

Nancy's tip:

> Tip: When I bring ground beef home, I separate it into one-pound
> portions, and then flatten each pound individually in a gallon-size
> Ziploc freezer bag, spreading it out inside the bag to fill all the
> corners. Once frozen (flat) they take up very little space, and they
> thaw lickety-split in this thin mode.

Great idea -- why have I never thought of doing this for hamburger? I've
always done it for soup, etc.

Thx for that tip! And that reminds me -- I need some more freezer bags!

Chris

Maverick

Mar 9, 2005, 9:37:54 PM3/9/05
"Serendipity" <goa...@spammers.com> wrote in message

Wimp! ;->

> We grill year round whether it is blizzard or sweating the balls off
> weather. Temps dropping would have no effect if we had decided on
> grilling that nigh.

You go! I've been known to grill with 6" of snow on the ground. I don't
care. It takes a little longer but the food is definitely tastier and
healthier!

The only real consideration I have when it comes to weather is the wind.
Around here, we can have sustained winds of 30+ mph. If that's the case, I
just grill in the garage with the car door opened about a foot to foot and a
half.

>> I have a method for a sort of spicy burger which I may opt for (sans
>> bread).
>> Incorporate some minced onion, garlic, splash of Tabasco or other hot
>> sauce,
>> soy or teriyaki sauce and ground ginger. Tasty. Works well with lean
>> ground turkey or ground chicken or a combo of beef, chicken, etc.
>>
>> Or, since I already bought the rolls I could always make sloppy joes :)
>> Hmmm... only a few hours time will tell.
>>
>> Jill

Now, with all that being said, I do have to state that I do NOT grill
burgers. I grill stakes, chicken, roasts and pork of all varieties. No
burgers though.

YMMV,
Bret

Andy

Mar 10, 2005, 6:44:39 AM3/10/05
Serendipity <goa...@spammers.com> wrote in news:112v3doqgd90oe7
@corp.supernews.com:

> Favourite burger bun here is a white bread including the egg.

Hasn't anybody used the "super-sized" english muffins?

And for heavens sake, think of the avocados! They're a must. Oh and
dijon mustard.

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)

jmcquown

Mar 10, 2005, 11:51:19 AM3/10/05
Maverick wrote:
> "Serendipity" <goa...@spammers.com> wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Favourite burger bun here is a white bread including the egg.
>>>
>>> such as broccoli, spinach or brussels sprouts. The temps are
>>> dropping;
>>> it's
>>> raining here and acting like it might try to freeze tonight, so no
>>> grilling
>>> today.
>
> Wimp! ;->

Ha! It was pouring down rain, and windy... I don't have a garage, just an
open patio.

>> We grill year round whether it is blizzard or sweating the balls off
>> weather. Temps dropping would have no effect if we had decided on
>> grilling that nigh.
>
> You go! I've been known to grill with 6" of snow on the ground. I
> don't
> care. It takes a little longer but the food is definitely tastier and
> healthier!
>
> The only real consideration I have when it comes to weather is the
> wind.
> Around here, we can have sustained winds of 30+ mph. If that's the
> case, I
> just grill in the garage with the car door opened about a foot to
> foot and a
> half.
>

>>> Jill
>
> Now, with all that being said, I do have to state that I do NOT grill
> burgers. I grill stakes, chicken, roasts and pork of all varieties.
> No
> burgers though.
>
> YMMV,
> Bret

Why on earth wouldn't you grill burgers?

Jill

Dimitri

Mar 10, 2005, 2:37:10 PM3/10/05

"jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

There was a bar/restaurant that had a bullet sandwich it consisted of:

A square fresh ground beef patty (the place was a very good steak house)
White toast
layer of Ortega Chilies
Cheddar cheese
Grilled onions.

Yum ...........................

Dimitri

Maverick

Mar 10, 2005, 8:23:49 PM3/10/05
"jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Because every time I try it, I screw it up. I always sacrifice at least one
patty to the BBQ God and it is not intentional. I have a tendency to burn
the outside but the inside raw. This happens most of the time. Even if I
have the burners on low I just can't quite get them right. It could be my
upbringing. My dad only knew how to grill one way. Light that SOB up on
high and stand there with a squirt bottle full of water to put the flames
out. As soon as the burgers were black on both sides take 'em off the grill
and eat. Nasty, raw-in-the-middle, burgers. *YUCK*

I'll stick with the whole cuts of meats and let others do the burgers. I'll
still stand there and drink beer though. I'm not that crazy! ;->

jmcquown

Mar 11, 2005, 4:03:51 PM3/11/05
Maverick wrote:
> "jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Maverick wrote:
>>> "Serendipity" <goa...@spammers.com> wrote in message

The temps are
>>> Wimp! ;->
>>>
>> Ha! It was pouring down rain, and windy... I don't have a garage,
>> just an
>> open patio.

>>> Now, with all that being said, I do have to state that I do NOT
>>> grill
>>> burgers. I grill stakes, chicken, roasts and pork of all varieties.
>>> No
>>> burgers though.
>>>
>>> YMMV,
>>> Bret
>>>
>> Why on earth wouldn't you grill burgers?
>>
>> Jill
>
> Because every time I try it, I screw it up. I always sacrifice at
> least one
> patty to the BBQ God and it is not intentional. I have a tendency to
> burn
> the outside but the inside raw.

You need to use the indirect heat method. I only know how to cook over coal
or wood lump. But the premise is put the burgers away from the direct heat
source. I'll cook the burgers, you pass me a beer! ;)