powdered egg whites . . . where?

Jessie

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
i have looked for the buggers in a couple of places, including the farmer's
market which carries all sorts of wacky stuff . . . anybody know of an
online or mailorder source for them? of course, if you could name a
specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.

thanks!

jessie

plh

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <7iqc73$bqg$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>, "Jessie" <jessic...@hotspam.hotmail.com> wrote:
*i have looked for the buggers in a couple of places, including the farmer's
*market which carries all sorts of wacky stuff . . . anybody know of an
*online or mailorder source for them? of course, if you could name a
*specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.
*
*thanks!
*
*jessie

I haven't had the time yet, but Papetti's makes a powdered egg
white, and DebEl also did. Of course, I tossed the can before I
realized that the store didn't carry them anymore, and lost the
address. But you could check either of these names for a
website, and see if they are still around.

maxine in ri

Joanne Mitchell

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
jessic...@hotspam.hotmail.com writes:
>i have looked for the buggers in a couple of places, including the farmer's
>market which carries all sorts of wacky stuff . . . anybody know of an
>online or mailorder source for them? of course, if you could name a
>specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.

The King Arthur Flour people have mail order powdered egg whites for $5.95 for
a half-pound. they also sell dried whole eggs, which can be used in break
making machines without worrying about bacterial growth.

Call for their catalog at 1-800-827-6836 or try www.kingarthurflour.com

Paul and Jill

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
I found the brand "Just Whites" located in the baking section of my local
supermarket, way down on a low shelf where I guess they keep the items
that nobody really looks for - like prune filling, marzipan, etc.

The Vermont Country Catalog was also carrying them for a while, although I
don't know if they still are.

Wilton Cake decorating also makes something called "Meringue Powder"; I've
never used it, or read the ingredients, but it may be the same thing
you're looking for.

Jill :-)

In article <7iqc73$bqg$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>, "Jessie"
<jessic...@hotspam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>i have looked for the buggers in a couple of places, including the farmer's
>market which carries all sorts of wacky stuff . . . anybody know of an
>online or mailorder source for them? of course, if you could name a
>specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.
>

>thanks!
>
>jessie

Melba's Jammin'

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <7iqc73$bqg$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>, "Jessie"
<jessic...@hotspam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>i have looked for the buggers in a couple of places, including the farmer's
>market which carries all sorts of wacky stuff . . . anybody know of an
>online or mailorder source for them? of course, if you could name a
>specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.
>
>thanks!
>
>jessie

Jessie, do you have a cake decorating supply store within reach? A food
co-op? A "natural foods" store? Those are places to check. Also, King
Arthur has them, I'm sure. Try kingarthurflour.com. Also, Michael's
craft stores have a cake decorating section and may have them plain
(rather than possibly with added sugar for making meringues). Regards,
Barb Schaller

ConnieG999

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Jessie" <jessic...@hotspam.hotmail.com> writes:

>of course, if you could name a
>specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.

Jessie, I live in Florida, and absolutely every grocery chain I've been to
carries them. Look in the section where the baking supplies are (chocolate
chips, marzipan paste, etc.) right next to or across the aisle from the
cake/cookie/brownie mixes, and near the plain flour & sugar, etc. In my
experience it's usually up high, even the top shelf. Look for a small cannister
like a crisco can, called Just Whites. If you don't see it, ask a clerk. If
they don't carry it, ask the manager to order it for you. It's a very popular
item. Good luck!

Bob Y.

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
On Sat, 29 May 1999 23:49:09 -0400, "Jessie" <jessic...@hotspam.hotmail.com>
wrote:

>i have looked for the buggers in a couple of places, including the farmer's
>market which carries all sorts of wacky stuff . . . anybody know of an

>online or mailorder source for them? of course, if you could name a

>specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.
>

>thanks!
>
>jessie

Try: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/ I don't know if you can order online, but
they carry them and have a toll-free number.

- -
Bob Y.

The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).

_Small Gods_

puester

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Denver area: all the markets (Albertson's, King Soopers, Safeway, Cub Foods
carry them in the baking aisle, top shelf usually. They come in a can and
the brand is "Just Whites", I think.
gloria p

maryf

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Jessie wrote:

> i have looked for the buggers in a couple of places, including the farmer's
> market which carries all sorts of wacky stuff . . . anybody know of an
> online or mailorder source for them? of course, if you could name a
> specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.
>
> thanks!
>
> jessie

I buy it at my safeway.
--
Mary f. <No Kitty! it's MY POT PIE!>
_ _
|,4) -,_. , ( `'-'
'-~~' (_/~~' `-'\_)
It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (She's not big on sharing, is she?)
http://home.earthlink.net/~maryf

Nexis Robinson

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Hard to name a specific grocery store without knowing where you are :)
Try any place you know of that sells cake decorating/candy making supplies.
Michael's carries them, Ralph's often has them. Also try doing asearch on
copernic for cake decorating supplies...TONS of mail order sources there.
HTH
kimberly

Jim Yanik

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
In article <7iqc73$bqg$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>,
jessic...@hotspam.hotmail.com says...

>i have looked for the buggers in a couple of places, including the farmer's
>market which carries all sorts of wacky stuff . . . anybody know of an
>online or mailorder source for them? of course, if you could name a
>specific grocery that carries them, that would be even better.
>
>thanks!
>
>jessie

the local Winn-Dixie carries a brand called Just Whites,an 8oz can,equals
about 4.75 dozen egg whites. Distributed by Deb-El Foods,2 Papetti
Plaza,Elizabeth,NJ. 07206. I've tried them,and they work OK,but are hard to
dissolve thoroughly.

Jim Yanik,NRA member

alg...@postnet.com

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
You can buy powdered egg whites at a cake decorating store.

Edward Conroy

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
What do you use powdered egg whites for?

--
SA
The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Jean Lissenden

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
to Edward Conroy
I have a 3 oz. can of this. It "makes" 21 egg whites. It's distributed by
Deb El Foods, 2 Papetti Plaza, Elizabeth, NJ 07207. I belive it also comes in a
larger can. I bought mine in my local grocery store, either Shop n' Save or
Shaws, of Maine. Sorry, but I can't remember which one.

P.S. It's called "Just Whites"

Jean

WB or CM Hilbrich wrote:

> Elaine <hats...@bright.net> wrote:
> : Does anyone have any easy, fairly simple breakfast casserole recipes? We
> : are all getting terribly tired of the usual cereal and toast routine!
> : Thanks much!
>
> ** This will make a nice sized breakfast meal for one person, baked in a
> 6 inch by 8 inch dish. The recipe can be multiplied by 3 and made in a
> 9 inch by 13 inch baking dish with 2 inch sides to feed a family of four.
>
> 2 eggs
> 1/3 cup flour
> 1/3 cup milk
> 1/3 cup Chedder Cheese... grated or shredded
> 1/8 tsp salt
> 2 tsp butter
>
> Place butter in a oven safe 6 by 8 dish put into a 400 degree (f) oven to
> melt while mixing the rest of the ingredients. Add milk to the eggs and
> beat with a wisk, and add flour and salt. Beat mixture until smooth, and
> add the cheese. Pour into hot dish after butter has melted and bake for 20
> minutes.
>
> --
> Bill Hilbrich St. Cloud, Minnesota hilb...@cloudnet.com
>
> " It's A Magical World, Hobbes, Ol' Buddy... ...Let's Go Exploring ! "
> Calvin's Last Words 12/31/95

deer

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99

Edward Conroy wrote in message <7j0u12$c...@nntp.seflin.org>...
I saw a recipe/craft idea for candied violets....eatable.

fresh unsprayed violets
powdered egg whites(mix enough to make 1/4 cup)
superfine sugar

method:
gather violets in the morning, before the heat of the day.
using a new tiny paintbrush, paint petals with egg white
mixture, then sprinkle with superfine sugar. you will be
saving only the blossom. set on a piece of wax paper
to dry. store in air tight container. use to decorate cakes,
desserts, etc. yes you can eat them.

it is safer to use powdered egg whites rather than fresh.
I just thought I would pass this on.
thoughtfully, deer

plh

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
In article <7j0u12$c...@nntp.seflin.org>, p008...@pb.seflin.org
(Edward Conroy) wrote:
*What do you use powdered egg whites for?
*

Tons of stuff. It's easier to use them (IMHO) than separate a
dozen or so eggs for some of my meringue recipes.

If I want a low cholesterol breakfast, I make a smoothie, and
don't have to worry about salmonella in uncooked eggs.

If you make ice cream, sherbert, or sorbet, or any other
uncooked egg-containing product, you don't have to worry about
salmonella.

If you don't use eggs very often, they are shelf-stable even
after opening.

I'm sure others have more reasons. These are just mine.

maxine in ri