Dinner 12/7/22

jmcquown

Dec 7, 2022, 6:59:46 PM12/7/22
Crab cakes pan fried in butter. Steamed asparagus is the vegetable
side. Simple and delicious.

Jill

Bruce

Dec 7, 2022, 7:23:45 PM12/7/22
On Wed, 7 Dec 2022 18:59:38 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Crab cakes pan fried in butter. Steamed asparagus is the vegetable
>side. Simple and delicious.

My favourite way to prepare green asparagus -y'all probably never had
white- is slicing them lengthwise and pan frying them in oil or even
butter. To each their own.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 7, 2022, 7:47:27 PM12/7/22
It was 15-bean soup here with just enough left for Thursday night's dinner.
I also had some peanut butter filled vanilla wafers.

Dave Smith

Dec 7, 2022, 8:24:57 PM12/7/22
On 2022-12-07 6:59 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> Crab cakes pan fried in butter.  Steamed asparagus is the vegetable
> side.  Simple and delicious.

We had baked chicken legs that had been smeared with peri peri sauce,
home fried potatoes, steamed beans and zucchini that had been slice,
blanched and then fried and topped with Parmesan.

jmcquown

Dec 7, 2022, 8:45:06 PM12/7/22
Was this some of the HamBeens brand 15 bean dried soup blend? I still
haven't looked for it but I intend to. I remember making it years ago
when I still lived in TN and I cooked it with a ham hock. Quite nice!

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 7, 2022, 11:48:25 PM12/7/22
Yes, it was, and I cooked them with a ham hock and also cubed ham.
I shared it with two neighbors.

Michael Trew

Dec 8, 2022, 12:27:09 AM12/8/22
Yum! Problem is, that you forgot the starch side dish. ;)

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 8, 2022, 4:46:25 AM12/8/22
On 2022-12-07, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Crab cakes pan fried in butter. Steamed asparagus is the vegetable
> side. Simple and delicious.

Ortiz Bonito del Norte (canned tuna in olive oil) marinated with lemon
juice, finely sliced scallion tops, parsley, olive oil, salt, and
pepper. Served on a salad of romaine and celery leaves, composed
with cucumber slices, halved grape tomatoes, and castelvetrano olives.
Dressed with lemon vinaigrette. (I should have added lemon zest to
the tuna marinade.)

A slice of impeccably fresh bread drizzed with a small amount of
extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkled with coarse salt.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Dec 8, 2022, 5:59:46 AM12/8/22
That would be a pile of salty fries for me. Good with most fried
seafood. Also coleslaw is a nice vegetable side to accompany the above.
Speaking of "A Bove," Jill detests coleslaw, same as her princess predessor.

Jill often posts incomplete meals. That's ok though if it works for her.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 8, 2022, 8:44:42 AM12/8/22
A complete meal is whatever the diner thinks it is. I've been known
to have nothing but roasted vegetables for dinner.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Dec 8, 2022, 8:59:46 AM12/8/22
On 12/7/2022 7:47 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
That's an interesting concept. Worth a try someday.
I like peanut butter toast with a slice of swiss.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 8, 2022, 9:12:28 AM12/8/22
On 2022-12-08, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
Monday I had peanut butter and strawberry jam on white for both
lunch and dinner. I needed portable meals that could stay in my
backpack all day, since I was at the hospital with my mother having
an outpatient procedure.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Dec 8, 2022, 9:31:34 AM12/8/22
You should try peanut butter on toast with some mayonnaise on top. I
agreed to try it at my friend's place because he had three dogs that I
could have fed it to if I didn't like it. I was surprised to find it is
delicious.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 8, 2022, 9:58:34 AM12/8/22
Stopped at a friends house and he was having a snack of peanut button on
crackers with a dab of ketchup. Pretty good, to my surprise.

Bruce

Dec 8, 2022, 1:21:32 PM12/8/22
Mayo can make cardboard taste good.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

bruce bowser

Dec 8, 2022, 2:49:29 PM12/8/22
On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 6:59:46 PM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> Crab cakes pan fried in butter.

Hey, I saw a recipe that said to cook them in a pan with both butter and coconut oil.

> Steamed asparagus is the vegetable
> side.

Nooo, Asparagus makes the urine turn orange colored.

Hank Rogers

Dec 8, 2022, 3:31:18 PM12/8/22
I wonder if this could produce a new version of the famous "Piss
Peppers"?

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2022, 4:58:34 PM12/8/22
I've been known to have nothing but a bowl of soup for dinner. No
bread, no crackers, just a bowl of soup.

Jill

Bruce

Dec 8, 2022, 5:25:50 PM12/8/22
On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 16:58:27 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I know someone who once skipped a meal!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2022, 5:44:07 PM12/8/22
On 12/8/2022 5:59 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 12/8/2022 12:27 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 12/7/2022 18:59, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Crab cakes pan fried in butter. Steamed asparagus is the vegetable side.
>>> Simple and delicious.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Yum!  Problem is, that you forgot the starch side dish.  ;)
>
> That would be a pile of salty fries for me.  Good with most fried
> seafood. Also coleslaw is a nice vegetable side to accompany the above.
> Speaking of "A Bove," Jill detests coleslaw, same as her princess
> predessor.

You truly are obsessed with Julie and this whole "Princess" thing! Is
there some law which says I must like coleslaw? I don't like potato
salad, either, unless it's the warm German vinegar based version. So what?

> Jill often posts incomplete meals. That's ok though if it works for her.

The meals are only "incomplete" in your mind. How many times must I say
I don't have a large appetite? Two pan-fried crab cakes and the
asparagus was quite enough to satisfy my hunger and tasted great. If
I'd made fries or anything else to go with it, it would have been wasted
food.

Jill

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2022, 5:45:03 PM12/8/22
On 12/8/2022 12:27 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
Thanks! Yep, Michael, I know it is a potato joke. :)

Jill

Mike Duffy

Dec 8, 2022, 6:36:28 PM12/8/22
On 2022-12-08, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:

> On 12/8/2022 9:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I like peanut butter toast with a slice of swiss.

>> You should try peanut butter on toast with some mayonnaise on top.

> peanut button on crackers with a dab of ketchup.

I just had a flour tortilla rolled around a banana
with 'Favuzi' (tm) pistachio butter and some
'Dulce de Leche'. (Caramel custard).

Michael Trew

Dec 8, 2022, 11:10:59 PM12/8/22
That's a good supper to me! Soup or chili only, many times. As a
matter of fact, if you look at the etymology of "supper", it's related
to "soup". Years ago, with farm hands and the like having a large meal
(dinner) mid-day, evening Supper was a light final meal -- usually only
soup made from dinner left overs -- especially before refrigeration.

Michael Trew

Dec 8, 2022, 11:13:48 PM12/8/22
On 12/8/2022 17:43, jmcquown wrote:

> Is there some law which says I must like coleslaw? I don't like
> potato salad, either, unless it's the warm German vinegar based
> version. So what?

I also, don't care for coleslaw and potato salad; at least how
"everyone" makes it. I love grandma's german potato salad (vinegar,
oil, S&P, onions sometimes) -- warm or cold! She made coleslaw similar,
with vinegar and oil. NO mayonnaise or sugar (blech). I won't eat it
any other way.

Gary

Dec 9, 2022, 7:57:57 AM12/9/22
On 12/8/2022 2:49 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 6:59:46 PM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
>> Crab cakes pan fried in butter.
>
> Hey, I saw a recipe that said to cook them in a pan with both butter and coconut oil.

For crab cakes and other things, I often use a 50/50 mix of butter and oil.

jmcquown

Dec 9, 2022, 8:42:04 AM12/9/22
Excellent point! I used to work with a woman (computer programmer) who
was raised on a farm. In fact, she had a small farm of her own and was
bringing up her two children alone after her husband died. She used to
talk about her dad's farm and how her mother and grandmother would get
up in the morning and, immediately after a very early breakfast, start
preparing the large main mid-day meal.

She was an amazing woman in her own right. She sewed most of the
clothes for her children and herself and they looked as good as anything
you might see in a store, including the dressy suits (jackets & skirts)
she wore to work. She had a large vegetable garden and did a lot of
canning. She raised horses and chickens and they had a pet pot bellied
pig. :) She worked that farm with one ranch hand, all while working
full time. I have no idea where she got all that energy!

Jill

jmcquown

Dec 9, 2022, 8:43:17 AM12/9/22
That makes you a "Princess", too. ;)

Jill

Michael Trew

Dec 9, 2022, 7:35:18 PM12/9/22
I'll take it in stride! Where's my tiara?

GM

Dec 9, 2022, 8:12:54 PM12/9/22
Mr. Hank Rogers is " The Keeper of the rfc Tiaras "...

B-)

--
GM

jmcquown

Dec 10, 2022, 9:50:19 AM12/10/22
I believe there is a tiara amongst the RFC Tin Foil Hat Collection. ;)

Jill